Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,890 members, 7,956,356 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:31 AM

Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running (10937 Views)

Futminna Students In Sports Attire For Test Today (Photo) / Okonjo-iweala: ASUU Distributes Insulting Pamphlets About Me In Mosques / Osun Distributes Free Tablet-Computers To Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jun 12, 2012
It's only in Nigeria that stupidity is hailed as an 'initiative'. The OLPC (one laptop per child) by FG is still very fresh in our memory. If the governor of Osun state is really serious about computer education. Why doesn't he set up computer equipped libraries in some selected schools. Or establish computer equipped laboratories at various locations in the state. My.first question to Governor aregbesola is how many tablet he intends to buy considering the number of students and how he intends to sustain this. My second question to the governor is whether these tablets are the best devices to learn computing. Sometimes I wonder who advise these our leaders sef. It's so disappointing.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by aljharem(m): 6:02pm On Jun 12, 2012
Olalekan 0: You have no idea what's going on in Osun.Aregbe has borrowed over 90B meanwhile he was crticizing his predecessor for borrowing just 18B!

90 billion that was meant for the railway project (connecting the SW/Edo states) according to DAWN program ?

What Aregbesola is doing is certainly not sustainable. He is looking at short term projects rather than Long term project as he promised before being elected.

I wonder why politicians don't follow plans. We were promised something, he is giving us another thing.

Misplaced priority and I really hope this would not make ACN lose in Osun next election
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by asha80(m): 6:03pm On Jun 12, 2012
Olalekan 0: You have no idea what's going on in Osun.Aregbe has borrowed over 90B meanwhile he was crticizing his predecessor for borrowing just 18B!

angry angry embarassed
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by malc619(m): 6:04pm On Jun 12, 2012
This may not have been the best option, but I think this is a step in the right direction. The program should ßξ adjusted to fit the reality of our system before full implementation....

But wait a second, someone is yet to comment on this thread, or has he broken up with the love of his life

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Bontee: 6:07pm On Jun 12, 2012
This is a misplaced priority in my opinion as international organisations already took care of all these tablet or laptop stuffs. We have the classmates pc's and one laptop per child program which they could actually partner to do stuffs like this. Why start this from scratch when you can partner and customize this stuff to suit whatever stuff you want for the students in osun state.

We need modern libraries in schools and at strategic locations around the state, also they need modern equipped schools with computer labs, technology labs and other skill acquisition programs or systems. Upgrade the quality of the teaching staffs, update the curriculum to meet international standard and turn the focus from result orientation to actual learning and productive outcomes. We need our students to be able to apply the education they have got, lots of practical stuffs and not just passing exams.

I don't see the benefit of these tablets if it is just for reading exam materials that can be provided by cheap eBook readers instead. We need new forms of teaching, learning, assessing and evaluating our students with a very structured approach to restructure our education system. I don't really like this gesture and i don't know where this idea is coming from because even kids abroad do not use this stuffs.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jun 12, 2012
This project is NOT sustainable. We would start seeing the tablets in computer village. Also on my mind are broken screen, faulty keypads, virus, faulty RAM e.t.c
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Bontee: 6:14pm On Jun 12, 2012
We don't need movable infrastructure as a library can serve those purpose when in school and after school. In my local library here you can actually go to the library and borrow these devices for use inside the library. If you have to take the tablets back after the students passes out then you defeat the purpose of the whole thing.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 12, 2012
I dey laugh oooo, Osundefender again, are the tablets programmed in Yoruba because most of the students don't even understand english, and will there be a training on how to use it because most of them don't even know what a monitor or mouse or keyboard is. As for the people asking for 170 model schools, Aregbe has been building a prototype (Salvation army primary school Osogbo) since October last year and he hasn't complete it, so don't even ask for 170 of those for now. "Opon-Imo" ROFLMAO.

2 Likes

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by asha80(m): 6:24pm On Jun 12, 2012
salaksmana: I dey laugh oooo, Osundefender again, are the tablets programmed in Yoruba because most of the students don't even understand english, and will there be a training on how to use it because most of them don't even know what a monitor or mouse or keyboard is. As for the people asking for 170 model schools, Aregbe has been building a prototype (Salvation army primary school Osogbo) since October last year and he hasn't complete it, so don't even ask for 170 of those for now. "Opon-Imo" ROFLMAO.

cheesy cheesy
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by baslone: 6:25pm On Jun 12, 2012
ziccoit:

You would have considered this as an initiative if government had chosen to embezzle the tax payers money?

Like his other guys. . . .pocket the funds, hang out in a beer parlor, prostitutes, isi ewu and just rename the schools. . .

It's still an initiative.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Ninilowo(m): 6:29pm On Jun 12, 2012
I would have preffered desktos in the school as the tablets will make the students targets for hoodlums.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by KINGAlli(m): 6:29pm On Jun 12, 2012
Must u Lie? Who criticized Bola Ige? Be True to yourself about this issue and stop politricking..Am sure those tablet would have been distributed to students in Areaz dat voted for the Governor. Or are You trying to say he gave the tablet to every student? You better change for the sake of your children's future
oc2fish: Thank You my Good GUV. I know that when Bola Ige of blessed memory gave books
to students in those days so many critisized him but today somany of us that
were giving this free text books are somebody. As at the time we were busy
receiving free books in Ibadan my cousins in Bendel state were paying fees
and their teachers constantly on strike.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by dayokanu(m): 6:46pm On Jun 12, 2012
Kudos Ogbeni Aregbesola

Go ACN, Instead of using the money to clear Mountains and hill beside the airport, you chose to invest in the student and leaders of tomorrow

oodua a gbe wa oo

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by funkymedina: 7:06pm On Jun 12, 2012
Who will supply the computers? Check its a firm cindirectly controlled by the gov himself. Its a new way of making money by pretending ur doing good. Will the laptops have access to the internet, if its just microsoft offiec then desktops in the school library, with a functioning generator will be more beneficial
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by kiyosaki1(m): 7:27pm On Jun 12, 2012
who will maintain the laptops for them,remember this are children whose parents can hardly afford their basics needs or the lappy cannot spoil or the software corrupted instead of the clueless governor to invest first in the development of the teacher so they can deliver first class education to the children I. hope this is not another way of giving food for the boys who be the supplier self I cry for Oshun state
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by rolchi(m): 7:28pm On Jun 12, 2012
Is it Opon-Imo or O'Computer ... I dey laugh in Arabic grin grin grin
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by kodebin(m): 7:28pm On Jun 12, 2012
When Comp Science Students in The University Cant get Access to Computers for Programming,, Secondary School Students get a Lappy..

Why Cant the Govt. Reason about our Future ICT WORLD... Anywayz,, SS2 Students,, Make Una Flex Jorr...
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 12, 2012
Its a nice idea if all the textbooks and novels are installed on the tablets so students can read them while home and in school. Its an good initiative
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Chisus1: 7:37pm On Jun 12, 2012
GREAT WORK

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Its a nice idea if all the textbooks and novels are installed on the tablets so students can read them while home and in school. Its a good initiative
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by greenhope(m): 7:55pm On Jun 12, 2012
For testing or for the keeping, I mean the computer tablets? or for test propaganda
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jun 12, 2012
dayokanu: Instead of using the money to clear Mountains and hill beside the airport
Maybe he would have choosen that path but unfortunately there's no airport in the State of Osun
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jun 12, 2012
Did you guys bother to read the post, before posting your ignorance and stupidity all over the thread?

It's cheaper to give them the tablets, with all the needed textbooks already on it - than to give them textbooks..

There are cheap, and affordable tablets out there.

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by EASY39(m): 8:37pm On Jun 12, 2012
angry rubbish
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by purpose100(f): 8:40pm On Jun 12, 2012
Have they thot about how to power those 'ipads'? because at least 90% of those schools lack power supply. And when you factor in the erratic power supply by PHCN,how will the students charge the 'ipad'? Generators?

Anyway, i think Ogbeni have done his assignment well. because i feel that having a computer lab is more viable than this 'ipad' initiative of a thing.

Mind you,even if you distribute free text books sef,just ask those students for d book in 3 days time,they would have damage the books, how much more a more fragile device?
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by manny4life(m): 8:55pm On Jun 12, 2012
I love obodo Nigeria, every where you turn, it's one thing or the other, anyway, this initiative is better than embezzling the money... grin grin grin

If this technology works like Amazon Kindle with electronic textbooks on it, I'm all for it... Let techie go upward wink wink wink
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by KINGwax(m): 9:00pm On Jun 12, 2012
Kobojunkie:

This is an initiative? Really? What these kids, and tax-payers now need is for Government to spend already limited resources, not on IMPROVING EDUCATION ITSELF but purchasing Laptops for each and every student? So giving out about 100,000 tablets, bought with tax-payer money, is now considered an initiative?

How long is this "INITIATIVE" going to last?

I am 100% for improving our education system, and getting our students up to speed technology-wise, but this is no way to go about it, especially when we consider the resources are not unlimited. Purchasing computers for students in a crappy system will not do anything to actually improve the system. Only you will have students with expensive computers, still locked in to a crappy education system.

If we must introduce technology, states that have the funds are overdue for a library system. Studies from all over the world have shown that having well equipped libraries to cater to students of all levels, helps not only equip but motivate students.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by dayokanu(m): 9:03pm On Jun 12, 2012
manny4life: I love obodo Nigeria, every where you turn, it's one thing or the other, anyway, this initiative is better than embezzling the money... grin grin grin

If this technology works like Amazon Kindle with electronic textbooks on it, I'm all for it... Let techie go upward wink wink wink

Good reasoning. It might be like kindle cos they said all their courses and syllabus are loaded on the device

Its a good start especially in a country where Computer Science grads dont touch a PC till they graduate
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by member479760: 9:04pm On Jun 12, 2012
Osogbo power station will provide 24/7 electricity to run the tablets, why not selling for the schools cheap, so that all have equal opportunity?
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by freshdew: 9:08pm On Jun 12, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Go Preach that bull to someone else, will you? An Initiative of this sort has, to date, not benefitted our Education system. Osun is not the first state to attempt this. Many others, especially during the Yar adua years have attempted some of the same plans. What has become of those plans? And how many of them have positively impacted Educated in those states? I can confidently answer that question for you. NONE!!! Many of these have been temporary boosts for a handful, who at the end of the day have had to deal with the main reality, the education system remaining the same as it was before their receiving of these gadgets.
We have to remind ourselves here that this is tax-payer money being used here, and this ought to be used to re-build the education system as a whole, rather than purchase laptops/tablets to give out to students, who at the end of the day, need a good education system in place to help them make sense of these new gadgets and the power locked in them.

I think we have seen about enough of these "initiatives" to realize this is definitely not the way around our problem.
What majority of these programs seem to be focused on doing, and continue to do, is seek ways to cut AROUND the major issue, slap a band aid, or more on the sores in our education system. The more we pretend another one of these will change things, the more valuable funds, and time we waste. The kids are not getting any younger, and their futures are not waiting for us to get things right first.

Do you ever ask yourself, I mean before you post one of these lines of yours, whatever happened with the many mega/modern/ginormous plans of this sort in other states. Or are you one of those who believe the secret to success is in the doing the repeating the same old failed exercise, over and over, expecting a new outcome with each and every turn?

There is nothing path-breaking about his attempts, or your attempts to blow air up his arse here.

Please always bear in mind that when Government embarks on these so-called "initiatives", the tax-payer pays. These Governors are not using their allowances for these. It is money from the state that is applied. And if nothing substantial is gained at the end of it all, the people suffer it. This Governor, and others, will get his pay check, allowances and extras at the end of the day.

I can fault his vision, because, like the one's you claim maybe building 6 stadia for a state with no football team or N7 billion to demolish a hill , this 'initiative' seems to be born of a lack of ideas on how to best tackle the problems in our education system. I mean one can also blindly argue that the 6 stadia Governor is spending on improving sports in the state, and someone will tell us that too. But we all know that is crock, and so is your claim that spending state money buying a tablet for each student is spending money on improving education.
I don't understand why most every one of these governors keep coming up with about the same plan whenever it comes to tackling problems in Education, or whatever other sector. Building of classes (how many of them are even in near good shape to date since we have been reading of governors building new class units all over this country), distributing computers purchased with tax-payer money, distributing free textbooks, buying new school uniforms, building yet another privately run school (primary, secondary, university) only go to painting a new color over the problem, and not tackling it. And this has been revealed time and time again, as the indicators still point to a system still in decay.
I don't know why u hate dis man so much.de man haz embacked on reconstructing school buildings and at de same time planning on how to hand to the children a learning tool that will make research and self improvement easy for diz children possible.Duz dat not sim 2 u like sum 1 who want 2 improve education in his state?If he can sokcid wit dis,I believe he can move 2 de next level.It is a welkom development.Don't 4get dat de man u are tryin 2 malin here haz also innitiated de yut employment program which is presently being understudied and mimicked by ur fed. Govt,and hailed by oda international org.Would it have bin beta if he had embezud de so cud tax payers money like his predizesors.len 2 aprec8 sum1 gud moves & ideas.tank u veri much-critic!

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jun 12, 2012
alj harem: Misplaced priority, confused set of leaders

What would student use computer tablets for in secondary school ?

What students would need would be a library with standard computer, renovate the schools to good standards etc not give each student a tablet.

Good point. A library would had been a best bet. Tablet has very low storage capacity to store few of the important programs these student will need. Tablets were invented for convenience or as on-the-go computer - for internet browsing and few miscellaneous stuffs.

This is a free ticket for these kids to starting watching por$n right in their bedroomsmiley
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by freshdew: 9:24pm On Jun 12, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Go Preach that bull to someone else, will you? An Initiative of this sort has, to date, not benefitted our Education system. Osun is not the first state to attempt this. Many others, especially during the Yar adua years have attempted some of the same plans. What has become of those plans? And how many of them have positively impacted Educated in those states? I can confidently answer that question for you. NONE!!! Many of these have been temporary boosts for a handful, who at the end of the day have had to deal with the main reality, the education system remaining the same as it was before their receiving of these gadgets.
We have to remind ourselves here that this is tax-payer money being used here, and this ought to be used to re-build the education system as a whole, rather than purchase laptops/tablets to give out to students, who at the end of the day, need a good education system in place to help them make sense of these new gadgets and the power locked in them.

I think we have seen about enough of these "initiatives" to realize this is definitely not the way around our problem.
What majority of these programs seem to be focused on doing, and continue to do, is seek ways to cut AROUND the major issue, slap a band aid, or more on the sores in our education system. The more we pretend another one of these will change things, the more valuable funds, and time we waste. The kids are not getting any younger, and their futures are not waiting for us to get things right first.

Do you ever ask yourself, I mean before you post one of these lines of yours, whatever happened with the many mega/modern/ginormous plans of this sort in other states. Or are you one of those who believe the secret to success is in the doing the repeating the same old failed exercise, over and over, expecting a new outcome with each and every turn?

There is nothing path-breaking about his attempts, or your attempts to blow air up his arse here.

Please always bear in mind that when Government embarks on these so-called "initiatives", the tax-payer pays. These Governors are not using their allowances for these. It is money from the state that is applied. And if nothing substantial is gained at the end of it all, the people suffer it. This Governor, and others, will get his pay check, allowances and extras at the end of the day.

I can fault his vision, because, like the one's you claim maybe building 6 stadia for a state with no football team or N7 billion to demolish a hill , this 'initiative' seems to be born of a lack of ideas on how to best tackle the problems in our education system. I mean one can also blindly argue that the 6 stadia Governor is spending on improving sports in the state, and someone will tell us that too. But we all know that is crock, and so is your claim that spending state money buying a tablet for each student is spending money on improving education.
I don't understand why most every one of these governors keep coming up with about the same plan whenever it comes to tackling problems in Education, or whatever other sector. Building of classes (how many of them are even in near good shape to date since we have been reading of governors building new class units all over this country), distributing computers purchased with tax-payer money, distributing free textbooks, buying new school uniforms, building yet another privately run school (primary, secondary, university) only go to painting a new color over the problem, and not tackling it. And this has been revealed time and time again, as the indicators still point to a system still in decay.
I don't know why u hate dis man so much.de man haz embacked on reconstructing school buildings and at de same time planning on how to hand to the children a learning tool that will make research and self improvement easy for diz children possible.Duz dat not sim 2 u like sum 1 who want 2 improve education in his state?If he can sokcid wit dis,I believe he can move 2 de next level.It is a welkom development.Don't 4get dat de man u are tryin 2 malin here haz also innitiated de yut employment program which is presently being understudied and mimicked by ur fed. Govt,and hailed by oda international org.Would it have bin beta if he had embezud de so cud tax payers money like his predizesors.len 2 aprec8 sum1 gud moves & ideas.tank u veri much-critic!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Biggest Library In West Africa In Picture / Brian Test / Fee Hike: 50% Of Students Will Drop Out Of School In Two Years – ASUU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.