Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,507 members, 7,954,931 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:44 PM

Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running (10932 Views)

Futminna Students In Sports Attire For Test Today (Photo) / Okonjo-iweala: ASUU Distributes Insulting Pamphlets About Me In Mosques / Osun Distributes Free Tablet-Computers To Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 12:49pm On Jun 13, 2012
Wrong information.

1. OLPC is not an FG initiaitive, but Global NGOs pursuing the MDG initiative and the FG was invited to support.
2. The FG, from OBJ's government actually did well in pushing the initiatives to many states and regions, its only that we've not gotten governors, local govt chairmen to continue
3. I know the Zinox, Omatek and some nigerian computer assemblers have also donated to the project

My question to you is "What are the best devices to learn computing?"

12 inches!:
It's only in Nigeria that stupidity is hailed as an 'initiative'. The OLPC (one laptop per child) by FG is still very fresh in our memory. If the governor of Osun state is really serious about computer education. Why doesn't he set up computer equipped libraries in some selected schools. Or establish computer equipped laboratories at various locations in the state. My.first question to Governor aregbesola is how many tablet he intends to buy considering the number of students and how he intends to sustain this. My second question to the governor is whether these tablets are the best devices to learn computing. Sometimes I wonder who advise these our leaders sef. It's so disappointing.

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 1:00pm On Jun 13, 2012
The internation organizations are actually looking for states and donor agencies to partner with the initiative. I don't see any "starting from the scratch here". Osun state is probably working with some agencies or consultants on this project, so I think what they are simply doing is customizing.

Yes we need modern libraries and schools, but if you consider the capital cost of these initiatives, then you certainly have to prioritize. These things may require lots of strategic planning. For me I think states government should even unbundle some of the schools in their custody to missions and private sectors and they seemingly are not even running them as profitable ventures.

Trust me, these laptops come cheaper than the ebook reader..... read more on the OLPC. These nare not Ipads, these are learging specific tablets. Parents are at liberty to buy the fancy ones for their kids. If you're asking for the benefits, I think you answered that with the underlined

The idea is actually coming from a well thought out planning session in the Osun Educational Summit, OLPC and the MDG......

Bontee: This is a misplaced priority in my opinion as international organisations already took care of all these tablet or laptop stuffs. We have the classmates pc's and one laptop per child program which they could actually partner to do stuffs like this. Why start this from scratch when you can partner and customize this stuff to suit whatever stuff you want for the students in osun state.

We need modern libraries in schools and at strategic locations around the state, also they need modern equipped schools with computer labs, technology labs and other skill acquisition programs or systems. Upgrade the quality of the teaching staffs, update the curriculum to meet international standard and turn the focus from result orientation to actual learning and productive outcomes. We need our students to be able to apply the education they have got, lots of practical stuffs and not just passing exams

I don't see the benefit of these tablets if it is just for reading exam materials that can be provided by cheap eBook readers instead. We need new forms of teaching, learning, assessing and evaluating our students with a very structured approach to restructure our education system.. I don't really like this gesture and i don't know where this idea is coming from because even kids abroad do not use this stuffs.

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 1:02pm On Jun 13, 2012
Good questions. these are simple teething challenges, some of which the testing periods with the 100s will find out. If they find their ways to computer village, they will be useless as the tablets will be customized specifically to Osun state requirements
saxywale: This project is NOT sustainable. We would start seeing the tablets in computer village. Also on my mind are broken screen, faulty keypads, virus, faulty RAM e.t.c

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 1:07pm On Jun 13, 2012
Library is good and both are complementary.
Bontee: We don't need movable infrastructure as a library can serve those purpose when in school and after school. In my local library here you can actually go to the library and borrow these devices for use inside the library. If you have to take the tablets back after the students passes out then you defeat the purpose of the whole thing.

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 1:08pm On Jun 13, 2012
...and your point is...? you've simply made a %&*# reasoning
kodebin: When Comp Science Students in The University Cant get Access to Computers for Programming,, Secondary School Students get a Lappy..

Why Cant the Govt. Reason about our Future ICT WORLD... Anywayz,, SS2 Students,, Make Una Flex Jorr...
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 1:10pm On Jun 13, 2012
Where in the report was Ipads mentioned. You are making a wrong assumption. Even in countries with worse power problems, this project is on course. Some of these tablet are solar powered

purpose100: Have they thot about how to power those 'ipads'? because at least 90% of those schools lack power supply. And when you factor in the erratic power supply by PHCN,how will the students charge the 'ipad'? Generators?

Anyway, i think Ogbeni have done his assignment well. because i feel that having a computer lab is more viable than this 'ipad' initiative of a thing.

Mind you,even if you distribute free text books sef,just ask those students for d book in 3 days time,they would have damage the books, how much more a more fragile device?

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 1:27pm On Jun 13, 2012
1. Not in all cases, many of these comes with dual charging, so you can use solar to charge it as well.
2. Pls where is "Ikirin"..., so because you travelled from Okuku to Osogbo and didn't see light means they are perpertually out of power? Abeg bros, I am from Osun state as well and I know those places pretty well....there is electricity in 3 places you mentioned. Occassional power failures can be said which is another issue.

salakobaba:
They will also need electricity to charge those tablets, the last time I saw electricity here in Iwo is about a week+, I travelled through Okuku, Ikirin and Osogbo yesterday and I didn't see light in any of those places (though this is a Naija issue), if he shouldn't installed desktop in libraries because of electricity (according to you) where would they get the light to charge there tablets, generator? Students are studying in an uncomfortable environment and the best thing to do for them is to give them ipads that will eventually be turned to games and browsing gadgets, 100 students for a test run after months of the promise, very soon he'll come out and say it's suspended because they didn't handle it well or we're still coming to other students. Hmmmmm almost 2 years now, only time will tell.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 1:27pm On Jun 13, 2012
1. Not in all cases, many of these comes with dual charging, so you can use solar to charge it as well.
2. Pls where is "Ikirin"..., so because you travelled from Okuku to Osogbo and didn't see light means they are perpertually out of power? Abeg bros, I am from Osun state as well and I know those places pretty well....there is electricity in 3 places you mentioned. Occassional power failures can be said which is another issue.

salakobaba:
They will also need electricity to charge those tablets, the last time I saw electricity here in Iwo is about a week+, I travelled through Okuku, Ikirin and Osogbo yesterday and I didn't see light in any of those places (though this is a Naija issue), if he shouldn't installed desktop in libraries because of electricity (according to you) where would they get the light to charge there tablets, generator? Students are studying in an uncomfortable environment and the best thing to do for them is to give them ipads that will eventually be turned to games and browsing gadgets, 100 students for a test run after months of the promise, very soon he'll come out and say it's suspended because they didn't handle it well or we're still coming to other students. Hmmmmm almost 2 years now, only time will tell.

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 1:43pm On Jun 13, 2012
1. For the first time I'm seeing a balanced, analytical and coincise submission looking at the pros and cons.
2. See my additions to your submistion in blue

emiye: This is a laudable initiative. !!!!!

i believe this is meant to work like a mobile library for the students.

A typical desktop workstation is way costly to set up than this(second hand-price for a CPU(15k), Tube Monitor (15k), Keyboard+Mouse(2k), now this is the cost at secondhand price of a box, not to talk of new. Then you factor the cost of the tables and chairs, cables, servers etc.....), and limits the student access to just 8am - 3pm on school days. It is way different from a desktop computer, as there is virtually constant access to the information 24 hours from Sunday to Sunday, except when the battery is down.

I dont think they will be provide internet access on the tablet to those who fear that might encourage students watching indecency. The State government can then configure the tablet to be read only, such that information can not be deleted or stored by the students on the tablet except by the manufacturer.( that way no student can download music or games)(Yes, the tablets will be basic, no extras. I keep telling people is not Ipad......)

Imagine a situation where a science students has Modern biology , Ababio chemistry, P.n Okeke Physics e.t.c all the 9 textbooks for the 9 subjects on a single tablet A teacher can even give out assignments on their mobile textbooks

The tablet also has advantage than a laptop, as it would be more compact, easy to carry and charge.(Many of these will come with solar charging options.....)

Service centres need to be opened across the states for repairs, and students need to be adequately trained on how to operate and handle the tablets with care.(have we thought about the fact that these service centers will serve to create jobs for some people apart from the technology transfer.....)

I see great success with this initiative, but they must thread with caution, poor project planning means a great loss to the state

My greatest fear is the fund,This will set the state bottomline back by roughly 10 billion Naira [/b]all other cons by some posters mentioned can be easily surmounted.

i believe the average population of a s.s1 - s.s 3 class should be 500 students, and Osun state should have roughly 500 state owned government schools. That equals 500 * 500 = [b]250,000 tablets

Those tablets with the functionalities might cost over N30,000.

250,000 tablets * N30,000 = N7.5 billion Naira. Other expenses like spares, service centre, training will push the total cost to the N10 billion.

N10 billion is no small money for a state like Osun state to gamble with, there are other pressing educational needs in the state in the primary and junior secondary arm of the state schools
(I like your analysis, but I'll have love you to do a 3-scenario case analysis. Be that as it may, there are ingenious ways of covering the cost and not that the 10billion is done at once. There is the option of the private sector partnership, support from government contractors, donor agencies, Company CSRs etc. I believe it is important that we start and take care of teething problems along the line than fold arms and do nothing.........)
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by lateef4me(m): 2:00pm On Jun 13, 2012
What's the name given to this 'laudable initiative' jare ? Is it O-learning ,O-curriculum or O-education ?
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 2:03pm On Jun 13, 2012
O-pon Imo wink:lol
lateef4me: What's the name given to this 'laudable initiative' jare ? Is it O-learning ,O-curriculum or O-education ?
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by purpose100(f): 6:06pm On Jun 13, 2012
Mapet= Ogeni Aregbesola.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by mapet: 8:32am On Jun 14, 2012
I wish........

I'm still a very young man, and will wish to one day contribute my quota to my state positively... I guess I've started......

purpose100: Mapet= Ogeni Aregbesola.

1 Like

Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 14, 2012
3 months after test running, where are the tablets, even those used for test running is there anybody here that have seen it with any students. Foooooooools
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by purpose100(f): 8:20pm On Oct 15, 2012
salaksmana: 3 months after test running, where are the tablets, even those used for test running is there anybody here that have seen it with any students. Foooooooools

Don't mind them jare, they think everybody is fo.o.l.i.s.h.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by MCMLXXVI(m): 9:51am On May 30, 2015
They were warned grin grin But they didn't listen.
Even the ACN lapdogs were defending this time bomb with their lives at the time.
Re: Osun Distributes Computer Tablets Of Knowledge For Test-running by MCMLXXVI(m): 9:54am On May 30, 2015
emiye:
This is a laudable initiative. !!!!!

i believe this is meant to work like a mobile library for the students.

A typical desktop workstation is way costly to set up than this, and limits the student access to just 8am - 3pm on school days. It is way different from a desktop computer, as there is virtually constant access to the information 24 hours from Sunday to Sunday, except when the battery is down.

I dont think they will be provide internet access on the tablet to those who fear that might encourage students watching indecency. The State government can then configure the tablet to be read only, such that information can not be deleted or stored by the students on the tablet except by the manufacturer.( that way no student can download music or games)

Imagine a situation where a science students has Modern biology , Ababio chemistry, P.n Okeke Physics e.t.c all the 9 textbooks for the 9 subjects on a single tablet A teacher can even give out assignments on their mobile textbooks

The tablet also has advantage than a laptop, as it would be more compact, easy to carry and charge.

Service centres need to be opened across the states for repairs, and students need to be adequately trained on how to operate and handle the tablets with care.

I see great success with this initiative, but they must thread with caution, poor project planning means a great loss to the state

My greatest fear is the fund,This will set the state bottomline back by roughly 10 billion Naira [/b]all other cons by some posters mentioned can be easily surmounted.

i believe the average population of a s.s1 - s.s 3 class should be 500 students, and Osun state should have roughly 500 state owned government schools. That equals 500 * 500 = [b]250,000 tablets

Those tablets with the functionalities might cost over N30,000.

250,000 tablets * N30,000 = N7.5 billion Naira. Other expenses like spares, service centre, training will push the total cost to the N10 billion.

N10 billion is no small money for a state like Osun state to gamble with, there are other pressing educational needs in the state in the primary and junior secondary arm of the state schools

Can this guy come back today and repeat this now that the scales have fallen off?
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Are the O'level Subjects Required To Study Electrical Engineering? / Unpaid Salaries: Bayelsa Varsity Lecturers Proceed On Indefinite Strike / Kogi State University Strike Clocks 7 Weeks, Massive Exodus Of Lecturers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.