Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,312 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:45 AM

Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report (27652 Views)

Farouk Lawan To Be Remanded In Prison Till February 9? / Farouk Lawan Trial Starts Next Week. / Police To Declare Farouk Lawan Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Beaf: 9:07pm On Jun 14, 2012
[size=14pt]Video: How Farouk Lawan asked House of Reps to remove Otedola’s companies from probe report[/size]

The Chairman, House of Representatives’ Ad Hoc Committee on Fuel Subsidy probe, Farouk Lawan, while presenting the 210-paged Fuel Subsidy report to a plenary session of the House of Representatives, on the 21st of April, moved a motion of recommedation that two companies should be removed from the list of companies indicted by the committee for receiving forex from the Central Bank of Nigeria but failed to bring in the fuel.

The companies, Synopsis Enterprises Limited and Zenon Petroluem and Gas Limited were removed from the list via a unianimous decision by the House.

According to the list, Zenon is alleged to have collected the sum of $232, 975, 385.13 while Synopsis Enterprises collected $51, 449, 977.47 for the year 2010 and refused to import any oil.

Both companies belong to billionaire and oil mogul, Femi Otedola.

The startled deputy Speaker, Emeka Ihedioha, who was presiding over the plenary asked the chairman of the probe committee that, “Honorable farouk, is this recommendation coming from your committee?”

And Mr Lawan answered in the affirmative.

However, Mr. Otedola on the 11th of June, in an interview with a national newspaper alleged that Mr Lawan had demanded a $3million bribe from him, days to his (Lawan) presenation of the report, so that his two companies will be removed from the list of indicted companies.

Mr Otedola in a sting operation, allegedly coordinated by the State Security Service (SSS), gave the lawmaker, the sum of $620,000 in part-payment for the bribe.

Mr Lawan in a swift reaction on Sunday, denied accepting any bribe from the oil mogul.

He however revealed the following day, that he accepted the money in ‘another’ sting operation involving the police authority.

The House of Representatives, which has been on a one week recess on Wednesday, called short the break for an emeergency plenary session, to hold on Friday (15th June 2012).

The House is expected to make its stand known on the scandal during the emergency session.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/06/14/video-how-farouk-lawan-asked-house-of-reps-to-remove-otedolas-companies-from-probe-report/

[flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7gzT5vd0vE[/flash]
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Kobojunkie: 9:24pm On Jun 14, 2012
Unless we are going to submit that all those who voted for the resolution, also got bribe from from Otedola, I suggest people walk jeje on this. Did Otedola bribe 'honorable' Rasack as well? Cause it almost seems as if Otedola dey really make rounds . . .

Now, does anyone know what the PSF Scheme List(or whatever the man said) is, and where one can get a copy of it?

1 Like

Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jun 14, 2012
Kobojunkie: Unless we are going to submit that all those who voted for the resolution, also got bribe from from Otedola, I suggest people walk jeje on this. Did Otedola bribe 'honorable' Rasack as well? Cause it almost seems as if Otedola dey really make rounds . . .

Now, does anyone know what the PSF Scheme List(or whatever the man said) is, and where one can get a copy of it?
. I don't think others that supported the resolution may have been in on the bribe, they may just have trusted farouk's judgement. Or maybe Farouk had convinced them, it's his territory.

4 Likes

Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by JomoGbomo2(m): 10:35pm On Jun 14, 2012
After seeing this video, I can bet anything on the fact the farook actually took that bribe.

For someone that took money that he intends to use as evidence, he won't be that compose as he was in the video.

The whole report especially the name of the marketers listed as fraudulent is questionable now.

5 Likes

Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by SkyBlue1: 10:35pm On Jun 14, 2012
UBELIEVABLE. That was THE WEAKEST attempt at an argument for removing the names from the list. People please, listen to that argument very carefuly by Lawan.

Effectively: 'I suggest we remove names 5 and 6 from the list because we want to focus on companies that were part of the PS scheme'

SO IF THEY WERE NOT ON THE SCHEME, WHY WERE THEY ON THE LIST TO BEGIN WITH??

Shocking!! And what is even more shocking was how we were all going to take the results of the research with some measure of gravitas simply based on the excuse that committees have information we are not privvy to. How on earth did a company that now allegedly was not even on the subsidy scheme make it to the list to begin with, talk less of this weak argument for having to remove it?

Committees need to be more scrutinised and documents used for references crosschecked. Imagine if the report was released, that is what we would have based recommendations on?

The validity of that report has just been rubbished and a new one must be done. Who knows who else should or should not be on the list? Perhaps the press needs to be a bit more investigative and part of the process. I mean, how didn't the press catch this?

8 Likes

Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Kobojunkie: 10:39pm On Jun 14, 2012
Donxavier: . I don't think others that supported the resolution may have been in on the bribe, they may just have trusted farouk's judgement. Or maybe Farouk had convinced them, it's his territory.

But he does give a reason for the removal that they at least agree with. Even the guy that seconded the resolution seemed to have agreed to that. And it is worth investigating, I mean the 'PSF' Scheme. It is possible that it is as he said. If not, that has got to be a bad lie. I mean on record too.

But yeah, if you are correct, then we have the wrong set of people in the house and they all need to be replaced with people who are at least able to investigate issues before voting yes or no.
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jun 14, 2012
Interesting, not a single NAY!
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 14, 2012
Is the news reporter trying to talk in American accent or does he have hot baby crabs in his mouth?

So he can't properly pronounce naija names again? Let me continue watching jare.

Aww FL is such a cutie pie sad embarassed
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by karlmax2: 10:46pm On Jun 14, 2012
bayooooooo: Interesting, not a single NAY!

and we have cpc and acn members the so called opposition in the house

2 Likes

Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jun 14, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Is the news reporter trying to talk in American accent or does he have hot baby crabs in his mouth?

So he can't properly pronounce naija names again? Let me continue watching jare.

I wonder o!
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jun 14, 2012
Ok, I can't finish watching this.

Can someone post the summary? Thanks
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Beaf: 10:54pm On Jun 14, 2012
Sky Blue: UBELIEVABLE. That was THE WEAKEST attempt at an argument for removing the names from the list. People please, listen to that argument very carefuly by Lawan.

Effectively: 'I suggest we remove names 5 and 6 from the list because we want to focus on companies that were part of the PMS scheme'

SO IF THEY WERE NOT ON THE SCHEME, WHY WERE THEY ON THE LIST TO BEGIN WITH??

Shocking!! And what is even more shocking was how we were all going to take the results of the research with some measure of gravitas simply based on the excuse that committees have information we are not privvy to. How on earth did a company that now allegedly was not even on the subsidy scheme make it to the list to begin with, talk less of this weak argument for having to remove it?

Committees need to be more scrutinised and documents used for references crosschecked. Imagine if the report was released, that is what we would have based recommendations on?

The validity of that report has just been rubbished and a new one must be done. Who knows who else should or should not be on the list? Perhaps the press needs to be a bit more investigative and part of the process. I mean, how didn't the press catch this?

Thank you.
Nigerians very sadly set themselves up to be deceived and end up fighting the dirty war for their opressors. All the signs were there from the very outset that the probe was driven by the twin interests of politics and greed. In a single word, corruption.

Otedola imports only diesel, yet was being chased to the ends of the Earth by the dimunitive devil called Farouk. Yet, there is no subsidy on diesel.
In a few short words Farouk Lawan was either on a political witch hunt or was running an extortion racket.

The Otedola saga is far from the only anormaly though. Check this out, I posted it on another thread (forgive the "french"wink:

Beaf:

Thank you, bro. Simple and plain. cool
Those phuckers called Lawan and Tambuwal simply saw the scam probe as a means to play 2015 "rotation" politics. So, they pointed at only a few sods, but it is quite certain that the number of criminals and total amount scammed are several times less than the actual figures.

A fact that really boggles the mind, is that the likes of Rilwan Lukman were never summoned to face the reps. Rilwan Lukman was the:

Petroleum Minister from February 1986 to February 1990;
Secretary General of OPEC from January 1995 to December 2000;
Special Adviser on Petroleum and Energy Matters to the President in June 1999 to 2003;
Petroleum Minister (round two) from December 2008 to March 2010.

WTF where the reps probing if they couldn't summon Rilwan Lukman, even if only for a cup of tea?! angry angry angry angry

If anything, we must demand an explosion in the number of criminals caught, as well as the jailing of those like Lawan who acted in brazen ways to direct the ship of state to the rocks, while declaring themselves to be saints.

I says, "get all the bastards!" Every last one.

Nigerians are too easily fooled.

12 Likes

Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by 1025: 10:55pm On Jun 14, 2012
abeg, make we leave these guys and talk about euro 2012. what is new here? how many committees has jonathan set up since he became president and which of these panels has ended with reports that were implemented. whether we like it or not, what farook has done here is exactly what he was made the committee chairman for.
jonathan has in the past told us that these cabals are too powerful that no man, no woman can touch them. if our president is afraid of these men, who then is farook? before otedola gave the bribe and recorded the bribe, it has been discussed within the aso rock cabals.
let us leave them with their games while we look forward to the day we will declare them our enemies.
all these guys have houses and investments in our neighbouring countries where they will run to but we will fetch them one by one and kill them the way libyans did to gaddafi.
what did the constitution of nigeria say about giving of bribe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18450893

read the news above and tell me how many months this same govt gave mrs. ibru in the hospital for defrauding oceanic bank and nigerians.

8 Likes

Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by icez: 11:05pm On Jun 14, 2012
1025: abeg, make we leave these guys and talk about euro 2012. what is new here? how many committees has jonathan set up since he became president and which of these panels has ended with reports that were implemented. whether we like it or not, what farook has done here is exactly what he was made the committee chairman for.
jonathan has in the past told us that these cabals are too powerful that no man, no woman can touch them. if our president is afraid of these men, who then is farook? before otedola gave the bribe and recorded the bribe, it has been discussed within the aso rock cabals.
let us leave them with their games while we look forward to the day we will declare them our enemies.
all these guys have houses and investments in our neighbouring countries where they will run to but we will fetch them one by one and kill them the way libyans did to gaddafi.
what did the constitution of nigeria say about giving of bribe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18450893
read the news above and tell me how many months this same govt gave mrs. ibru in the hospital for defrauding oceanic bank and nigerians.

grin grin grin grin grin

Ireland 0 Spain 4
Italy 1 Croatia 1

2 Likes

Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jun 14, 2012
karl max: and we have cpc and acn members the so called opposition in the house

The quality of members in the house at best is average. Based on what I heard, some of them can not hold the floor for five minutes.

By and large, the reason advanced for the removal of Otedollar companies was not just weak but should also have prompted at least two key questions:

1. Why were the companies listed in the first instance, when and how was the error discovered, is there any pertinent document to substantiate your propose amendment?
2. Can we now say the report is intact and faultless or will there be another correction next week or whatever?

It has nothing to do with opposition politicians. Infact they slept because the report was in whatever guise against the establishment. The only fellow that appeared apprehensive was the Deputy Speaker who presided over the session. Judging from his reaction, the Deputy speaker actually wanted members to question Lawan by asking him to rephrase or repeat his request. Not one good question!

I think the whole house trusted Lawan to a fault. He spoke with confidence, he said all the right things befitting the status of a member against a status quo and besides, he was doing what a member confirmed to be a dangerous job: championing the probe against presidency interests. People believed he would at least be honest. So they all slept.

Was it a coincidence that the speaker, Tambuwal, did not preside that day (he was absent)?

1 Like

Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Remii(m): 11:06pm On Jun 14, 2012
So $620K bribe is another name for "further information " that Farouk received that turned him to stammerer when the acting speaker too became surprised about the recommendation. Na wa o
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by icez: 11:07pm On Jun 14, 2012
Remii: So $620K bribe is another name for "further information " that Farouk received that turned him to stammerer when the acting speaker too became surprised about the recommendation. Na wa o

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Beaf: 11:09pm On Jun 14, 2012
bayooooooo:

The quality of members in the house at best is average. Based on what I heard, some of them can not hold the floor for five minutes.

By and large, the reason advanced for the removal of Otedollar companies was not just weak but should also have prompted at least two key questions:

1. Why were the companies listed in the first instance, when and how was the error discovered, is there any pertinent document to substantiate your propose amendment?
2. Can we now say the report is intact and faultless or will there be another correction next week or whatever?

It has nothing to do with opposition politicians. Infact they slept because the report was in whatever guise against the establishment. The only fellow that appeared apprehensive was the Deputy Speaker who presided over the session. Judging from his reaction, the Deputy speaker actually wanted members to question Lawan by asking him to rephrase or repeat his request. Not one good question!

I think the whole house trusted Lawan to a fault. He spoke with confidence, he said all the right things befitting the status of a member against a status quo and besides, he was doing what a member confirmed to be a dangerous job: championing the probe against presidency interests. People believed he would at least be honest. So they all slept.

Was it a coincidence that the speaker, Tambuwal, did not preside that day (he was absent)?

Deputy speaker ke!

Bro, it is expected that the deputy speaker and about 9 others will be arrested as part of the scandal. The opposition is in the Tambuwal camp, this was part of their picnic.
The more you look, the less you see.
Tambuwal too, is likely to be involved.
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by jumobi1(m): 11:14pm On Jun 14, 2012
The House knew he was bribed but they don't care. There is some honor amongst thieves.
CPC, ACN, APGA...all frauds. We need a revolution somehow.
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Alumnus: 11:52pm On Jun 14, 2012
National Assembly of Fraudsters
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Businesstools(m): 12:02am On Jun 15, 2012
Corruption has come to stay in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by OAM4J: 12:03am On Jun 15, 2012
Not a single Nay!

N a wa o!
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Nobody: 12:08am On Jun 15, 2012
Nothing lawful works in that country. The only thing the people understand is how much corrupt you are and can bribe your way through. The future of the youths of that nation is glimmer than ever before!
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Arysexy(m): 12:16am On Jun 15, 2012
all these legisLOOTERS need to be gased to death in dat dishonourable chamber! Bunch of criminals. I taught faruk lawan was decent, now i know that his baby face is deceitful. onye oshi, barawo, ole!
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Nobody: 12:21am On Jun 15, 2012
Una wan see the main "fideo"? make I upload am?
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by tinkinjo: 12:28am On Jun 15, 2012
Thank God a lot of people here who seem not to comprehend what is playing now understand after this video. But what I don't understand is why some Nigerians(well educated ones I mean) can't make clear judgement from a simple 'story'.
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by msb247(m): 12:35am On Jun 15, 2012
this is very sad and shocking. may all the thieves of this country be exposed. both femi and farouk should be thoroughly investigated. let's just watch and see.
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by HighChief4(m): 12:35am On Jun 15, 2012
Honestly, I weep for Nigeria, not even a single "Nay". These guys will sell that country one day and trust me, nothing will still happen
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Nobody: 12:36am On Jun 15, 2012
After watching this video, I feel so ashamed of Farouk Lawan, he was stammering and trying to put words together as to why both companies needed to be de-listed. To all doubters, I assume this is the final burial to your doubts and disbelieve. Farouk, I nominate you for the position of the most shameless criminal the Nigeria legislative system has churned out. More grease t your criminal elbows. May your agbada not swallow you.

2 Likes

Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Nobody: 12:38am On Jun 15, 2012
Yeuk truth, that guy made a hocus-pocus request to remove otedola's company from the list and everyone in the house agreed, I wonder who will save this nation. That miniature pettifogger should be thrown in jail without delay.
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by Kobojunkie: 12:41am On Jun 15, 2012
colly227: Yeuk truth, that guy made a hocus-pocus request to remove otedola's company from the list and everyone in the house agreed, I wonder who will save this nation. That miniature pettifogger should be thrown in jail without delay.

Technically, the video has him suggesting that they be removed from the list and handed directly over to the EFCC for investigation. He didn't just declare him NOT GUILTY as you suggest.
Re: Video: How Farouk Lawan Asked Reps To Remove Otedola From Probe Report by BabaOlowo: 12:44am On Jun 15, 2012
Cheap Thief, instead of holding up and resigning immediately, he is still lying. Anyway, he is among his fellow thieves, wont be surprised if this is swept under the carpet as usual and he keeps his seat in the House of Robbers! Bunch of Barawos, Oles, Onyiochis!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Peter Obi Worried Over Fuel Shortages, Scarcity Of New Naira Notes / Akpabio’s Credit Card Declined At London Hotel - Sahara Reporters / Nnamdi Kanu Begs British Government To Push For His Release

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.