Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,843 members, 7,831,730 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company (2071 Views)

Hand Written Love Letter My Ex Wrote Me 6 Years Ago / Should I Tell My Ex-Boyfriend That I Want Him Back? / My Ex-boyfriends Keep Coming Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by OAM(m): 9:22pm On Jun 16, 2012
Hey NLs.... I own one of the fastest growing consulting firm here in Lagos, I started the frm with my Ex and she is currently th GM of the firm. The firm is currently in a big deal with the FG and since this development, she has taken up a new characters that are detrimental to the company's interest.
However, I have kept to my end as the CEO of the company, I have been professional about my dealings with her, my relationship with her presently on business level but her am not certain about. She is not keeping to her duties and this am not happy about at all. We have had several meetings relating to her performance and her inabilities to deliver in relation to her position and percentage wise as well. Am §o̶̲̥̅̊ pained as I type cause she is really making things difficult for my firm. In course of our partnership agreements, I have kept all agreements, payed all her salaries and consult with her on sensitive issues relating to the firm. She share the biggest secrets of the firm with other people and this kills me anytime I hear about it.. She consult §o̶̲̥̅̊ wide with her peeps relating to her standing in the company. Am a hard young business individual who work day and night for the company to achieve and all she dose is enjoy the public image as the Gm of the company.
I have decided to pay her off and and sack her from the company, I had a long call with her today and she Threatened to sue me if I tried it. She even claimed we own the company together but am not in anyway worried cuase. The firm is registered under my name. I strongly believe her present man lover is encouraging her to fight for nothing she owns. Am just worried that she might go ahead and foil the firms present deal with the FG.. Am 24 and one 22 years lady wants to frustrate my dream. Am not in anyway trying to spoil her image here. All I want is right now is a real GM who is Ǧ☺☺ϑ at ‎​ђã†̥? He dose and profresiona regardless her age or colour.
I wiil read and follow al
l your sugestions be it sentimental or emotional, but would appreciate professional advice the most...
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jun 16, 2012
Determine how much the 30% is and write her a cheque. Give her more if need be and do a little bit of persuasion too. Most importantly, leärn your lesson and move on.
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Godmother(f): 9:47pm On Jun 16, 2012
Yes , I agree with buying her out. Looks like she no longer interested in the business
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jun 16, 2012
NEVA MIX BIZ WIT PLEASURE...i ope u guys handle dis maturely
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Konnektions146(m): 10:03pm On Jun 16, 2012
she is not acting alone, she is obviously being engineered by an outsider and i dont think she is mature enough to handle wats facing her as regards de responsibilities in de firm.

yu have to invite her with yur legal team and sit down to discuss issues, let her see reasons and pay her off.

but u have to be wise, if she is gonna be instrumental to gettin de FG deal, pls allow her untill everythin is balanced.

but in dis case, u have to sought for de assistance of a good legal personnel for advice.
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by DukeNija(m): 10:33pm On Jun 16, 2012
Let me begin by saying, i hope people will learn not to mix business and relationships. They never mix.
@ Op I think you have done well for yourself, getting to where you are right now is not 'moi moi'. (I hope you are not who i think you are).
Firstly, how can it be a partnership when the company is registered in your name? If it's just in your name as you claim then, it can't be a partnership, at least officially or according to the documents.(CAC)
This means you can indeed pay her off, fire, or suspend her. Consult your lawyer first.
Secondly, If she has 30% equity in your firm, i don't think that has anything to do with the efficiency, profitability or turn-over of the company. Infact, it's actually a good thing. So don't get emotional.
Finally, what is your stake(equity) in the company? This should be the most important thing to you. Secure your place, financially(increase your shares), lobbying(talk to the board if any, get their support and loyalty), and get spiritual(if she is a yoruba girl, besides this is 9ja wink)
Continue to work, ignore her, and you'll secure more collaborations and contracts.
Goodluck wink wink wink wink wink wink grin smiley smiley smiley
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jun 16, 2012
hmmm, all she needs is serious beating, you see when you're dealing with a woman and you have given her so much leverage and authority, this is what happens! it enters into their head and clouds their fish brains angry LOL @ her threatening to sue you. What are you? a baby let her go ahead jare, if your lawyer knows his way around the law courts, the judgment will never see the light of day. Mind you, sack her, beat her, punish her, don't give her a kobo. That her over ambition will die fast fast, infact that her mentor/ new BF needs to be dealt with seriously. As a business man, you have to be harsh to some extent when it comes to the well being of your business, you should guide and protect it jealously. Like i said earlier, beat her not kill her o! sack her with no kobo, throw her things out of your office, employ thugs to enforce that, not policemen! then she will know say na were u be.. That her 30% shares shouldn't be giving to her, make sure that your lawyer drag the case in court very well, don't mind paying lawyers their bills. She wants to reap where she didn't sow even if she did one or two things, what gives her such effrontery to earn on a platter of Gold. mmmtchhhhewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by VOfficialR(m): 11:40pm On Jun 16, 2012
Paying her off is not the deal at all... don't you guys know what it means to have 30%, that's a bunch

Don't you have a constitution?
I think things like should have been dealt with at the conception of the firm but in case you don't have that, talk with your lawyer (change your lawyer if you dont trust the one you're working with)
You have to deal with this real fast because if she doesnt kill the business, her share in physical cash will be appreciating and this will be very detrimental...

1. Try 'faking' reconcilliation (you play the dull while planning sharp). you really really need her cooporation either by free will or by force, treat her right (while working with your lawyer on reviewing your laws and constitution)

2. If she doesnt succumb freely, you have to blackmail her (this sounds harsh but that's business) she's blackmailing you at rhe moment with her power, you can black mail her by 'giving' her fault. you have to do this alone and as neatly' as possible.

3. You really need to get her out one way or the other. Threaten her 'indirectly'
DO NOT BEAT OR EVEN TOUCH HER AT ALL, START BEING 'OVERLY' FRIENDLY WITH HER, RESPECT HER MORE THAN EVER, ACKNOWLEDGE HER POWER, PROMISE HER FREEDOM (while planning your attack). DO NOT EVER EVER TOUCH HER OR EVEN ""SAY"" ANYTHING THAT MIGHT BE HELD AGAINST YOU. SHE'S OBVIOUSLY NOT A FOOL TOO.

I feel what you face.

Goodluck!!
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Nobody: 5:37am On Jun 17, 2012
Fire her, let her sue you and then if you have a good attorney she's gonna end up getting nothing. Paying her off means you owe her or in partnership with her.

And my question is, how did she gain this 30% shares? Bed mating, loan or? ? ? If by loan that means she'd have some legal docs and then she has a case if not screw her up real good.

This one of the reasons no gf is allowed into my business/investment especially when we're from diff family background.

Again business and pleasure = Killer
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Nobody: 5:43am On Jun 17, 2012
V_Official®:
Paying her off is not the deal at all... don't you guys know what it means to have 30%, that's a bunch

Don't you have a constitution?
I think things like should have been dealt with at the conception of the firm but in case you don't have that, talk with your lawyer (change your lawyer if you dont trust the one you're working with)
You have to deal with this real fast because if she doesnt kill the business, her share in physical cash will be appreciating and this will be very detrimental...

1. Try 'faking' reconcilliation (you play the dull while planning sharp). you really really need her cooporation either by free will or by force, treat her right (while working with your lawyer on reviewing your laws and constitution)

2. If she doesnt succumb freely, you have to blackmail her (this sounds harsh but that's business) she's blackmailing you at rhe moment with her power, you can black mail her by 'giving' her fault. you have to do this alone and as neatly' as possible.

3. You really need to get her out one way or the other. Threaten her 'indirectly'
DO NOT BEAT OR EVEN TOUCH HER AT ALL, START BEING 'OVERLY' FRIENDLY WITH HER, RESPECT HER MORE THAN EVER, ACKNOWLEDGE HER POWER, PROMISE HER FREEDOM (while planning your attack). DO NOT EVER EVER TOUCH HER OR EVEN ""SAY"" ANYTHING THAT MIGHT BE HELD AGAINST YOU. SHE'S OBVIOUSLY NOT A FOOL TOO.

I feel what you face.

Goodluck!!

I think she's in a smoother position to blackmail him which is another reason he gotta be careful. Bn a Nigerian into some FG deal "probably contracts both clean and shady" he gotta have lots of roaches in his closet which this btch of a lady knows about. Don't you think?
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Mynd44: 6:28am On Jun 17, 2012
Take this to the business section, they will be better opinions there
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Konnektions146(m): 7:13am On Jun 17, 2012
REALITY101:

I think she's in a smoother position to blackmail him which is another reason he gotta be careful. Bn a Nigerian into some FG deal "probably contracts both clean and shady" he gotta have lots of roaches in his closet which this btch of a lady knows about. Don't you think?
just as i asked earlier,
whats her role in de FG job
cos if she is playing a vital role, OP may just hav to thread very carefully cos she may just spoil de show(ladies think with dia bombom attimes).

but how dd the 30% came abt?
does she have some document i dat respect
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by VOfficialR(m): 9:27am On Jun 17, 2012
REALITY101:

you are very right..,
but even if she is, i'm the OP must have a planB... if not...
hmmm.....
What i still believe is for the OP to 'restart' an overly friendship. It will be very hard if she's furious
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Wislet(f): 10:28am On Jun 17, 2012
ex girlfriend in your company??
With all the emotional fireworks and over familiarity?
Is your business a partnership? That is both of you own it?
If not, then i think the owner can terminate the appointment of anyone he wishes.
She just bought 30 percent shares of your holdings.
You can buy them from her and pay her off.
She has no legal standing whatsoever to sue you.....it is your company.
How can she drag it with you?
Hmmmm....looks like u 'dashed' her the percentage when the going was good.
You should have terminated the business deal when you guys broke up. That is wisdom.
Advise: consult the services of a very good lawyer...i mean the best. Cos if it hits the ceiling and she still maintains she's not going, she could hire a very goooooood lawyer to rip off more than you would believe.
Get the best. Let him into the details of the deal, and let him do the work.
Meanwhile, u need to do this fast if possible, before that partnership with the FG.... Because when you start, and all this gets out, it could be viewed as ur company being unstable.
Besides, you dont want her share digging deep/sky rocketting from that deal.
Because........ Hmmmm......it would be easier to chase away a lion from its prey than.....
I'm sure u've learnt ur lessons.
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Wislet(f): 10:28am On Jun 17, 2012
ex girlfriend in your company??
If not, then i think the owner can terminate the appointment of anyone he wishes.
You should have terminated the business deal when you guys broke up. That is wisdom.
Advise: consult the services of a very good lawyer...i mean the best. Cos if it hits the ceiling and she still maintains she's not going, she could hire a very goooooood lawyer to rip off more than you would believe.
Meanwhile, u need to do this fast if possible, before that partnership with the FG.... Because when you start, and all this gets out, it could be viewed as ur company being unstable.
Because........ Hmmmm......it would be easier to chase away a lion from its prey than.....
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Konnektions146(m): 11:05am On Jun 17, 2012
Wislet: ex girlfriend in your company??

what is she is a big + to de FG deal
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jun 17, 2012
Do not do the predictable. If her equity is 30%, she expects you to pay her off at worst. Do the opposite, register a new business name close to what you presently have. Get an office space on stand by, Cash out your 70% stake from the company, then sit her down and share present assets and liability and let every staff reapply to work in your new firm. She will simply collapse. If this is not simple for you, let me know, cos I always plan B.
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Wislet(f): 1:34pm On Jun 17, 2012
Billyonaire: Do not do the predictable. If her equity is 30%, she expects you to pay her off at worst. Do the opposite, register a new business name close to what you presently have. Get an office space on stand by, Cash out your 70% stake from the company, then sit her down and share present assets and liability and let every staff reapply to work in your new firm. She will simply collapse. If this is not simple for you, let me know, cos I always plan B.
hehehehehehheheheheehhe.
Baaaaadt guy grin
BUT u forget that the deal must have been initiated using the PRESENT company name. Any new name will be suspect. Infact they wont have anything to do with a newbie company.
they'll just say, ''We don't recognize your company''.
Remember....for them to have agreed to enter the deal with him, they must have checked out the company name, financial standing, Reputation, etc.
It must have been a company that has been in business for a long time.
So.... :/
best option still remains to consult a veeery good lawyer that will think up a great idea.
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Wislet(f): 1:37pm On Jun 17, 2012
Konnektions146:

what is she is a big + to de FG deal
how
U can't do the deal without her share of the money?
That does nt look good.
U really need to do that.
Else...it will be suicide.
U will lose a whole lot.
Remember..it's someone else's money.
And once hers enters, u cannot remove it again.
She can sweep the carpet from under ur feet.
U know what it means to have ur money as a part of an FG deal?
Try removing her hold on that deal LATER, and it could cost you the whole deal.
Do not build on shaky foundations.
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jun 17, 2012
Wislet: hehehehehehheheheheehhe.
Baaaaadt guy grin
BUT u forget that the deal must have been initiated using the PRESENT company name. Any new name will be suspect. Infact they wont have anything to do with a newbie company.
they'll just say, ''We don't recognize your company''.
Remember....for them to have agreed to enter the deal with him, they must have checked out the company name, financial standing, Reputation, etc.
It must have been a company that has been in business for a long time.
So.... :/
best option still remains to consult a veeery good lawyer that will think up a great idea.
Depends on what you mean, the poster stated that he sweats out to run the company, its simple in the business world, the posted owns the company, he has every right to prepare documents that sublets all present contracts to the new company name and technically the old company is dead without his expertise.
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Wislet(f): 2:05pm On Jun 17, 2012
Billyonaire: Depends on what you mean, the poster stated that he sweats out to run the company, its simple in the business world, the posted owns the company, he has every right to prepare documents that sublets all present contracts to the new company name and technically the old company is dead without his expertise.
CHANGE OF NAME!! Now that's classic!
It is a very good idea dear.
But.. in the wake of a business partnership??
He might want to delay the FG deal a bit , do the change of name and transfers, then resume the deal.
I think that's a better idea.
@OP, u berra pay for all des info frm both of us oooo.
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Wislet(f): 2:11pm On Jun 17, 2012
@OAM, concerning the part where u said she leaks the company's secrets to success, u might wanna speed up the termination of her appointment.
Else...ur competitors will really deal with u.
And change ur tactics later on. This time.. U alone will know it.
Not even a wife. Lol.
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by VOfficialR(m): 2:48pm On Jun 17, 2012
Guys... i think what most of you are thinking of is only the effect the lady has on the company, not that+ what people will see of the company. Do you think that changing of name is a credible explaination for investors?
Do you think the lady will just sit there and not come up with a blackmail (staing that's y you decide to leave her out?)

Do you think intelligent people will invest in an unstable company?

Don't you put what their constitution says into consideration?

Is it so easy to change a name and think you can run it the same way you ran the former?

That idea is cute for a company that is starting not that has started...

Imagine facebook changing facebook for another name and waiting to collapse facebook...

do you think rival companies like google+ (still using facebook as an example) will just watch while you continue your drama...

will you ever look credible again after a single stain on your company

THE ONLY THING THE LADY NEEDS IS TO GET FEW WITNESSES WITH HER BLACKMAIL (easier to get than a guy)

The best thing to do is to plan a replica who is oppisite in diplomacy, who can withstand her while you treat it with utmost carefulness

WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THE LADY ISN'T READING THIS?

i'm just being realistic, if it works for you... then,
Goodluck!!!
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jun 17, 2012
What locus standi does he have to terminate her employment ? Lets analyze this, the lady in question is in the company on 2 capacities, one as a stake holder, director is you prefer calling is so, because her name is on the CAC registration and she is again under the employment of the company as a DG if thats what the poster wrote. Terminating her employment ? DG sacked by CEO ? Both of them (may be more names like brothers and sisters) own the company. You cant terminate her as director, there is legal way of going about that, rumours of leaking industrial secret if not proven can not be used against her. Its gonna be dirty if the poster is not careful about this and he stands to lose more in damages aside the 30% stake. Like I said, there is always a plan B. Back to issues of clients not wanting to work with a new name, the OP can go ahead and negotiate a deal that will include capitalization of the company to a huge amount and the EX being a shareholder in the company has first right of denial, he has to tell her, company needs to be capitalize to meet future aspirations and he has a business that wants to own stake in the firm by injecting equity funds in it to the tune of say 500m naira (hypothetically) and as a share holder I have to ask if you can raise that money within 2 months, if you cant, i am afraid, we will have to sell our shares in the company to the corporate investors and hold smaller stake so we can have cash injections to meet capital expenditures. Trust me, she cant raise that and wont trust the man enough to hold, so it takes us to rights offer, where her stake in the company will be sold and she is paid off handsomely and her stake reduce to like 5 %. I do have Plan C, let me know how this checks out.

1 Like

Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Wislet(f): 3:19pm On Jun 17, 2012
Billyonaire: What locus standi does he have to terminate her employment ? Lets analyze this, the lady in question is in the company on 2 capacities, one as a stake holder, director is you prefer calling is so, because her name is on the CAC registration and she is again under the employment of the company as a DG if thats what the poster wrote. Terminating her employment ? DG sacked by CEO ? Both of them (may be more names like brothers and sisters) own the company. You cant terminate her as director, there is legal way of going about that, rumours of leaking industrial secret if not proven can not be used against her. Its gonna be dirty if the poster is not careful about this and he stands to lose more in damages aside the 30% stake. Like I said, there is always a plan B. Back to issues of clients not wanting to work with a new name, the OP can go ahead and negotiate a deal that will include capitalization of the company to a huge amount and the EX being a shareholder in the company has first right of denial, he has to tell her, company needs to be capitalize to meet future aspirations and he has a business that wants to own stake in the firm by injecting equity funds in it to the tune of say 500m naira (hypothetically) and as a share holder I have to ask if you can raise that money within 2 months, if you cant, i am afraid, we will have to sell our shares in the company to the corporate investors and hold smaller stake so we can have cash injections to meet capital expenditures. Trust me, she cant raise that and wont trust the man enough to hold, so it takes us to rights offer, where her stake in the company will be sold and she is paid off handsomely and her stake reduce to like 5 %. I do have Plan C, let me know how this checks out.
heheheehehehhe.@vofficial, u have a point like i did about the name change. It is tricky. If the company is a Veeeeery popular one, it wont be easy for people to remember the new name. Dat could be a big minus.
That is where Mr billy's plan C could come in .lol.
Aside taking it by force i.e terminating her appointment (Plan A)..... And changing the company name(Plan B),.... Going into a business deal where she'll be unable to meet up (Plan C)is looking okay now.
Unless OP has contacted that lawyer already and has the best option.
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jun 17, 2012
Wislet: heheheehehehhe.@vofficial, u have a point like i did about the name change. It is tricky. If the company is a Veeeeery popular one, it wont be easy for people to remember the new name. Dat could be a big minus.
That is where Mr billy's plan C could come in .lol.
Aside taking it by force i.e terminating her appointment (Plan A)..... And changing the company name(Plan B),.... Going into a business deal where she'll be unable to meet up (Plan C)is looking okay now.
Unless OP has contacted that lawyer already and has the best option.
Plan C, i need his consent for me to get this, in Plan C, she will be the one to beg for her stake in the company for her to leave. Its the last option but drastic.
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Wislet(f): 3:35pm On Jun 17, 2012
Billyonaire: Plan C, i need his consent for me to get this, in Plan C, she will be the one to beg for her stake in the company for her to leave. Its the last option but drastic.
no grin grin
let him pay for that one.
De guy don get plenty things free here. And he's nt even back on the thread.
wink
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jun 17, 2012
Wislet: no grin grin
let him pay for that one.
De guy don get plenty things free here. And he's nt even back on the thread.
wink
Lol, you are right.
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Wislet(f): 3:38pm On Jun 17, 2012
@billy, sent u a mail btw.
Check.
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jun 17, 2012
Wislet: @billy, sent u a mail btw.
Check.
Okay, option C, is gonna be blackmail that can not fail if properly executed, she will cry to get her 30% stake.
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by brixton: 6:41pm On Jun 17, 2012
dont force things, i'd advise you be patient for the FG's deal to go through before you sack her... Remember a bird in hand is worth 20 ind bush
Re: My EX Owns 30% Shares In My Company by Konnektions146(m): 3:18am On Jun 18, 2012
@wislet,
i read tru yur posts, basically, just as a poster mentioned earlier, i asked what if she is instrumental to de FG deal , i mean, what if she is de lead negotiator or she has de key to de door we dont know yet until OP clarifies her role in dat deal.

Registering a new company is a No NO cos if anythin like dat comes, she could invite a competitor and partner with dem under same businesss name and deal with OP's new company badly considerin dat de old company has got name, track records, good financial record(i presume) and i bet u, OP wont like wat de outcome would be.

de relatively better approach is Mr Billy's option C, OP can go to CAC, and increase de share capital but come to think of it, what if de lady can even afford to buy more into de compayy?

she cant be sacked as a director easily but can as a manager. OP should just try reducing her presence in de operational scene of de company as quickly and as much as possible to contain de imminent danger she poses to de company.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What This Girl Is Doing With Blackberry Bold 2 / Age You Had Your First Kiss / In Bed With Another Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.