Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,273 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals (15512 Views)

7 Common Reasons Why Ladies Say No To Marriage Proposals / Interesting Marriage Proposals And Fails? / Public Or Private Marriage Proposals: Which Do Ladies Prefer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by acidtalk: 12:52pm On Jun 19, 2012
Men : Have you had your marriage proposal turned down by your girlfriend?

Women : Have you turned down a marriage proposal by your boyfriend before.

If your answer is in the affirmative please can you give us the reason why?

I was watching CNN early morning and I saw a man who was running with the Olympic touch run to the crowd where his pregnant (8 months) girlfriend was standing and he proposed and of course she said yes, then he hugged her and returned to running with the touch.

Early this year while at Shoprite (surulere) this present Mr Nigeria came alongside his friend, his friend's 'heavily pregnant' fiancee and (hidden) photographers. After dodging and looking for where to get the best shot, Mr Nigeria's friend finally proposed to his girlfriend and of course she said yes.

There were lots of cheers and applause by most people in the mall that day. And the lady 'pretended' to by shy, surprised and joyous at the same time.

I didn't see any biggy in the two above examples as this ladies are already heavily pregnant and will even desperately want marriage more than the men in question.

So Men and Women, please share your experience on A MARRIAGE PROPOSAL TURNED DISSAPOINMENT.

For Mature Contributors ONLY.

If you don't have any meaningful contribution, please kindly use the "BACK" button to return to the previous page.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 19, 2012
@op, yes, I did turn down a marriage proposal at my graduation dinner from my fiance because it wasn't just right then! He wouldn't let me work, wouldn't let me visit my hometown and we had serious trust issues. And he did the famous one-knee-on-the-floor thingy while I was so embarrassed I just stood up and walked out. It took 6months to convince my mum after the refusal that I'm not an ogbanje!

5 Likes

Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by acidtalk: 3:05pm On Jun 19, 2012
mollytinrox: @op, yes, I did turn down a marriage proposal at my graduation dinner from my fiance because it wasn't just right then! He wouldn't let me work, wouldn't let me visit my hometown and we had serious trust issues. And he did the famous one-knee-on-the-floor thingy while I was so embarrassed I just stood up and walked out. It took 6months to convince my mum after the refusal that I'm not an ogbanje!

*laugh one make me piss for body* @Ogbanje.

Damn it!!! Can't just imagine how embarrased he would have felt.

How did you both talk ot over.
Anyone will assume you were probably having another affair at that time.
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by SUV(f): 3:11pm On Jun 19, 2012
yeah: in 2006 when my parents arranged family friends marriage stuff for me, i promised them i will come home that day, buh my boyfiend (who is now my husband) took me away and made sure i missed going. they came and waited for me the whole day, no body could reach me on the phone, all the food prepared wasted and my parents were mad. i returned home day after and asked my parents to return whatever they have collected from them, that i am not interested.

my parents forgave me when my hubby came for my introduction

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by acidtalk: 3:32pm On Jun 19, 2012
SUV: yeah: in 2006 when my parents arranged family friends marriage stuff for me, i promised them i will come home that day, buh my boyfiend (who is now my husband) took me away and made sure i missed going. they came and waited for me the whole day, no body could reach me on the phone, all the food prepared wasted and my parents were mad. i returned home day after and asked my parents to return whatever they have collected from them, that i am not interested.

my parents forgave me when my hubby came for my introduction

And some people on this forum will argue and swear such marraige arrangement( arrangee marriage) doesn't happen again as they will term it achairc.

By the way, didn't they know you had a boyfriend at that time before going to arrange someone else for you?

Curious to know.
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by Mynd44: 3:33pm On Jun 19, 2012
acidtalk:

*laugh one make me piss for body* @Ogbanje.

Damn it!!! Can't just imagine how embarrased he would have felt.

How did you both talk ot over.
Anyone will assume you were probably having another affair at that time.
If it was me, there ain't no talking over. That's it we are done

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by acidtalk: 3:40pm On Jun 19, 2012
Mynd_44:
If it was me, there ain't no talking over. That's it we are done

No doubt. It was over from that very moment.

But at least either she would have called him to apologize for her actions or he called he to inquire why she took such action. Before finally calling it quit, they would have at least trashed out that embarassing experience.
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by Rocktation(f): 4:32pm On Jun 19, 2012
Where to start from
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by acidtalk: 5:41pm On Jun 19, 2012
Rocktation: Where to start from

...From anywhere, up, Down, sideways. Just start.
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by Saraha1(f): 5:42pm On Jun 19, 2012
Abeg start some where
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by Rocktation(f): 5:45pm On Jun 19, 2012
Babe, na so my story hungry you reach? You're a chick too na. Don't we all have stories? smiley
AcidTalk. I'll be back.
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by acidtalk: 5:49pm On Jun 19, 2012
Rocktation: Babe, na so my story hungry you reach? You're a chick too na. Don't we all have stories? smiley
AcidTalk. I'll be back.

Please do 'cus we all want to learn.

I have learnt to Only Propose in my inner most room, with the curtains down and even tv turned off so I don't get to be embarrased like the other guy above.

4 Likes

Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jun 19, 2012
by their stories, we shall know their ages grin
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by acidtalk: 6:30pm On Jun 19, 2012
joeydozzy: by their stories, we shall know their ages grin

Oya Run along now. They have started "Berney and Friends" on tv. Go watch some nursery rhymes.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by Rocktation(f): 6:49pm On Jun 19, 2012
Well, the least complicated one was like SUV's story, so I was contemplating not telling it. Anyway, a certain man's sister and his dad had come to my friend's, to pay for an apartment. Given that my friend's dad is aged, and I was waiting for my friend in the sitting area with them, he'd asked that i help write out the receipt for them.

Jokingly (I thought), as I was doing this, the man kept whispering to his daughter and telling my friend's dad, that they'd be taking me to iboland. See me, see wahala! Anyway, I didn't know how serious they were, until I got home from some other place I had been to the next day, only to find this same man, his two daughters, two sons (the dude included), his wife and two other men there. They appeared relaxed with my parents, indicating that they must have been there for a while before my arrival.

Cut long story short, my mum couldn't wait to deliver the 'good news'. And I couldn't be rude, by giving an outright answer at that minute. So I told the 'dude in question', that I'll think about it. So everybody went to their house to sleep in peace that day. And so the usual continued from there, phone calls upon phone calls came in, until he finally understood that there was no way he could win with me.

I was still in my second year then, so I guess that was all the reason I had. At least, I never thought of anything past that.
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by Rocktation(f): 6:52pm On Jun 19, 2012
Another one;
I had gone bridal shopping with a friend, and this other dude's sister works at the shop. She got our numbers like a normal rep would, before she started asking about some personal stuff.

Like the good girl that I am, I responded well, with the feeling that she's customer-seller bonding. But I was confused a bit, because I wasn't the actual client. She asked about my faith, state of origin, and a few other stuff like that. At a point, I began to feel like she's a lesbian even. Only for me to start receiving calls from a certain man, from the next day, that claimed he was too shy to woo a woman on his own.

Well, along the line, he insisted that I give him my parents' address that he did not have time for courtship and all. But It just seemed too odd and so I told him off, before he begins to get used to the idea. His sister actually still calls till date....hoping that I'll change my mind someday...weird.

I've a few other escapades, but lemme stop here abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by Mynd44: 6:58pm On Jun 19, 2012
acidtalk:

No doubt. It was over from that very moment.

But at least either she would have called him to apologize for her actions or he called he to inquire why she took such action. Before finally calling it quit, they would have at least trashed out that embarassing experience.
I will not even talk about it. What is there to talk about?
I will delete her number, change my keys infact, if I see her on the road I will not greet her.
What nonsense
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jun 19, 2012
acidtalk:

Oya Run along now. They have started "Berney and Friends" on tv. Go watch some nursery rhymes.

you really are a work, right? seems you don't do well with jokes. smh
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by acidtalk: 11:08pm On Jun 19, 2012
Rocktation: Well, the least complicated one was like SUV's story, so I was contemplating not telling it. Anyway, a certain man's sister and his dad had come to my friend's, to pay for an apartment. Given that my friend's dad is aged, and I was waiting for my friend in the sitting area with them, he'd asked that i help write out the receipt for them.

Jokingly (I thought), as I was doing this, the man kept whispering to his daughter and telling my friend's dad, that they'd be taking me to iboland. See me, see wahala! Anyway, I didn't know how serious they were, until I got home from some other place I had been to the next day, only to find this same man, his two daughters, two sons (the dude included), his wife and two other men there. They appeared relaxed with my parents, indicating that they must have been there for a while before my arrival.

Cut long story short, my mum couldn't wait to deliver the 'good news'. And I couldn't be rude, by giving an outright answer at that minute. So I told the 'dude in question', that I'll think about it. So everybody went to their house to sleep in peace that day. And so the usual continued from there, phone calls upon phone calls came in, until he finally understood that there was no way he could win with me.

I was still in my second year then, so I guess that was all the reason I had. At least, I never thought of anything past that.

That family must have been watching too much Ibo movies on African Magic every saturday morning.

But some people get mind oh!

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by acidtalk: 11:20pm On Jun 19, 2012
Rocktation: Well, the least complicated one was like SUV's story, so I was contemplating not telling it. Anyway, a certain man's sister and his dad had come to my friend's, to pay for an apartment. Given that my friend's dad is aged, and I was waiting for my friend in the sitting area with them, he'd asked that i help write out the receipt for them.

That family must have been watching too much Ibo movies on African Magic every saturday morning.

Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by acidtalk: 11:30pm On Jun 19, 2012
joeydozzy:

you really are a work, right? seems you don't do well with jokes. smh

Just the same way you don't do well with reasoning.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by Rocktation(f): 11:33pm On Jun 19, 2012
Abi? I was an unbeliever too until the experience. And there are people around you that must have experienced such too, if you look hard enough.
In another light, it's exactly like introducing your friend/sister/church member to another friend, sister or church member. Save that this is usually done in a more robust format and thus, seen as archaic.
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by acidtalk: 11:33pm On Jun 19, 2012
Rocktation: Another one;
I had gone bridal shopping with a friend, and this other dude's sister works at the shop. She got our numbers like a normal rep would, before she started asking about some personal stuff.

Like the good girl that I am, I responded well, with the feeling that she's customer-seller bonding. But I was confused a bit, because I wasn't the actual client. She asked about my faith, state of origin, and a few other stuff like that. At a point, I began to feel like she's a lesbian even. Only for me to start receiving calls from a certain man, from the next day, that claimed he was too shy to woo a woman on his own.

Well, along the line, he insisted that I gave him my parents' address that he did not have time for courtship and all. But It just seemed too odd and so I told him off, before he begins to get used to the idea. His sister actually still calls till date....hoping that I'll change my mind someday...weird.

It appears you have the "wife material" look. And due to that, you have lot of admirers and suitors.

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by acidtalk: 11:36pm On Jun 19, 2012
Rocktation: Abi? I was an unbeliever too until the experience. And there are people around you that must have experienced such too, if you look hard enough.
In another light, it's exactly like introducing your friend/sister/church member to another friend, sister or church member. Save that this is usually done in a more robust format and thus, seen as archaic.

But quite crazy how some people will meet someone today or just the the picture of the person and expect to get married to the lady the next day.

Funny enough it was a norm during our parents and generation before theirs and the whole union worked well without cases of divorce and seperation.

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by Rocktation(f): 11:37pm On Jun 19, 2012
Hmmn.....i dunno about that. But some actually work out though.
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by acidtalk: 11:39pm On Jun 19, 2012
Rocktation: Hmmn.....i dunno about that.

Okay, let's just say you attract them like bee gets attracted to honey or ant to sugar.
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by GboyegaD(m): 3:08pm On Jun 20, 2012
acidtalk:
But quite crazy how some people will meet someone today or just the the picture of the person and expect to get married to the lady the next day.
Funny enough it was a norm during our parents and generation before theirs and the whole union worked well without cases of divorce and seperation.

Which IMO indicates that love grows if only we want it to. Our concept of love in recent times have really bastardized the word since most people now term infatuation as love. If it worked then, it surely can work now.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by kaiter: 3:15pm On Jun 20, 2012
In another light, it's exactly like introducing your friend/sister/church member to another friend, sister or church member. Save that this is usually done in a more robust format and thus, seen as archaic.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by Orikinla(m): 3:18pm On Jun 20, 2012
None.
I look before I leap.
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jun 20, 2012
Rocktation: Another one;

Well, along the line, he insisted that I gave him my parents' address that he did not have time for courtship and all. But It just seemed too odd and so I told him off, before he begins to get used to the idea. His sister actually still calls till date....hoping that I'll change my mind someday...weird.

You're a head-turner for sure. Had to check your profile cool

1 Like

Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by parryon(f): 3:43pm On Jun 20, 2012
I was 16 and in ss3 when this Alaba-money-missed-road all of a sudden started showing intertest in...telling me he must marry me,I was scared witless. Then one Sunday evening I was in the sitting room with my parents and siblings watching TV when there was a knock at the front door,on asking the knocker to come in...behold an entourage of about 7 walked in,the dude inclusive with crates of drinks and bottles of wines.
Thank God I and my mom said the noooooooooooooooooo!!!!! In unison. The guy moved out from the street the next month.
Re: Reasons For Rejection Of Marriage Proposals by toluxe0075: 3:55pm On Jun 20, 2012
acidtalk:

walahi u dey correct,..lwkmd

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ok / Why Do Men Have To Work Their Socks Off For Women? / "Not All Best Friend Can Actually Be Best Lovers - Relationship Expert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.