Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,293 members, 7,829,670 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4421296 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ufe: 12:29am On May 28, 2013
Hello guys welldone for d gud work u all are doing on dis thread.
My baby is will be 5 months dis weekend.pls I want to ask is it too late to start tying my tummy as I didn't take it very seriously earlier and don't like d bulge grin
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by kessygirl(f): 7:34pm On May 28, 2013
Please I'd like to know if it is adviceable to buy baby bed or let my baby sleep on my bed.
Another thing, please what can I pack in my hospital bag to take to the hospital.
Thank you.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by diamondlove: 12:23pm On May 29, 2013
diamondlove: diamondlove: Also I have dis frnd too dat sells
beautiful and affordable baby products
Here is her pin
.21C3E1FC.
Phone nos. 08033619042
Email. Fausyline@yahoo.co.uk

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by blank(f): 11:02am On May 30, 2013
kessy girl: Please I'd like to know if it is adviceable to buy baby bed or let my baby sleep on my bed.
Another thing, please what can I pack in my hospital bag to take to the hospital.
Thank you.

It is your choice as to where your baby should sleep. I find that having a baby cot is a waste and ends up taking space in your room. However, you have to balance it with the danger of rolling ontop of your baby while sleeping. There are other benefits and disadvantages for both choices. It is your choice. You can do some more research.

Your hospital will give you a list of things to bring to the hospital. You can ask the matron there.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by omopretty1: 1:59pm On May 30, 2013
[quote author=kessy girl]Please I'd like to know if it is adviceable to buy baby bed or let my baby sleep on my bed.
Thank you.[/quote

Most baby beds will just be used for at most a year and then it becomes useless till u have another baby or give it out. For me i didn't buy any baby bed, my baby shares the bed with my hubby & i. For what to pack in the hospital bag check out this link http://community.babycenter.com/post/a42243652/xposted_and_ot-_btdt_moms-packing_your_hospital_bag. Your hospital will also give u a list of what to bring to the hospital for delivery.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by corrall(f): 3:18pm On May 30, 2013
ufe: Hello guys welldone for d gud work u all are doing on dis thread.
My baby is will be 5 months dis weekend.pls I want to ask is it too late to start tying my tummy as I didn't take it very seriously earlier and don't like d bulge grin

Hi Ufe, I think it is a bit late for tying of tummy o. it should have been done immediately after you had your baby. Maybe exercise will work.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by maxiflexi(f): 4:38pm On May 30, 2013
ufe: Hello guys welldone for d gud work u all are doing on dis thread.
It's a little late for tying now. Tying works when the uterus is still contracting back 2 normal. At this stage you just have 2 do stomach exercises like the rest of us cheesy
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by kessygirl(f): 11:00am On May 31, 2013
Thanks @omopreety and @blank.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by jiro(f): 12:38pm On Jun 02, 2013
Blendy77: Julicoka how old is ur boy? I think its the pap. Its probably not good with his system that is why he is excreting it. One of my boys had same issue when I first introduce pap n sma gold at 3m. For like 3 days the guy kept pooing after eating even up to 4 times a day. I had to stop the pap and kept giving him only the sma gold and breast milk as before and the poo returned to normal, once in 2-3 days. We just started the pap again at 4m 2 days ago so am watching him. No change yet in his pooing pattern for now so we are still watching him cos I intend changing to somethg else if the poo continues.
I think u shd stop the pap and watch him for some days and if possible, boil his drinking water.

Wendy kids are known for rejecting foods they are not used to. I think u should keep trying to get ur baby to take the nan except the baby is throwing up or pooing excessively then u can now talk of changing his formular. Secondly, u cod express ur milk and keep in the fridge/freezer for him if ur sole reason for introducing formular is because of ur job. Ur milk can stay up to 3m when stored in the freezer. All the best.
Secondly how far wt the car seat u wanted to buy? I have brand new Gracco snug ride in PH for sale but its not 10k sha as U might need to increase ur budget if u want it.
Pls how much does the car seat go for?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Blendy77(f): 5:36pm On Jun 02, 2013
Are u also in ph? They've already sent them to me in Lag over the weekend. Send me an email to discuss the price. I've also got fisher price bouncers and play gym abi mat, Gracco twin stroller, designer baby clothes (Calvin Klein, Ralph etc) male/female 0-12m, Chicco lullarby play pen as well. Everythg is new and has not been touched. They were actually things I bought online from the US but my contact didn't ship them on time so I got replacements for most of them when I codn't wait. The container they were in eventually docked at Onne port instead of Lagos hence I was asking the PH lady if she was interested. But send me an email and I'll give u the price. Ruonar2000@yahoo.com
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by blank(f): 11:03pm On Jun 02, 2013
julicoka: gd day mums in d house my baby ve been going toilet frequently ad greenish in colour ad mix wit someting like mucus.like yesterday she went four times ad todays own is three times now,i complain to doctor he did not give me any medicine pls am not hapi seeing my baby going toilet let dat pls mums help me what wil i do her.remeber am a first time mother pls ur reply is very urgent pls

I had this same issue a couple of days. I know he is too old to have that fore milk/hind milk issue. So I went to d doctor and he immediately started him on flagyl and ort. He started running temperatures at nite until the 3rd day when everything cleared. Said it was an infection he picked up.
I had started him on septrin as the older one had diarrhoea without the green stool and septrin was working for the older one but it didn't work for him. Hope you got help.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by julicoka(f): 5:16pm On Jun 03, 2013
blank:

I had this same issue a couple of days. I know he is too old to have that fore milk/hind milk issue. So I went to dinner doctor and he immediately started him on flagyl and ort. He started running temperatures at nite until the 3rd day when everything cleared. Said it was an infection he picked up.
I had started him on septrin as the older one had diarrhoea without the green stool and septrin was working for him. Hope you got help.
thank u very much
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by pinkydaisy(f): 9:28am On Jun 04, 2013
Hello mums,,new in here, had my baby on the 16th of May and to God be the glory. It has been from one problem to the other but all is well now, i can boldly come to this thread to learn more.
My baby didn't poop after the initial 4/5 days of mecomium,,,,,,she finally pooped after almost 11 days, come and see screaming and tears in the little angels eyes ,,,,but God being so merciful, she passed poop and has been calmer since then. People said it had to do with my diet but i have been reading online that it happens most times to most babies.

After her birth, i noticed her eyes were kind of off coloured from what am used to seeing in most new borns and drew the attention of the doctor to it but he kept on insisting it was normal, not until after about 24 hours when i noticed her pee was so concentrated and practically screamed the doctor into having a look at her,,,my sisters when she was tested for Jaundice, it was so high(the normal level of Billirubim for infants is about 2 but my baby's was 12 ) they began treatment for Jaundice with photo-theraphy for about 3 days and nights, i was just crying like a baby watching her under the heat of that light Unclad and alone. Her skin got so burnt and she lost so much weight very fast,you could just see her disapearing right before your eyes, worst of all, my milk refused to flow.
When we were finally discharged, i took my angel home preparing to start motherhood in peace, when it was noticed that the baby had more than the usual opening on her skull,,the Yorubas call it Oka,,hope i spelt it right? and the igbos call it ngbuwaisi,,,,,my dears, come and see panicking, everybody kept on bringing suggestions on how to help the skull cover up fast and sincerely i was at my wits end. i just turned to God in prayer and reminded him that his gifts added no sorrows so why am i jumping from one problem to the other with my gift that he has given me.I cried and cried unto God and finally somehow, i received his grace on what advice to listen to and what to discard.
Presently, my angel is thriving and she even smiles now, funny. She is eating fine and gaining the weight, slowly but surely.

Long and short of this is that every mother knows her baby best and should pay close attention to the child, always ask questions and be ready to sieve the responses you receive, discarding the unnecessary advices without being rude. Most of all,,God alone knows these babies best, always ask him for his grace and guidance on how to take care of your baby and please worry less cos God can not bring you this far to leave you.

IT IS WELL.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 9:37am On Jun 04, 2013
@Pinky, ThankGod for his love unto us. Your baby shall grow well and bring joy to you and everybody around her. cool
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by pinkydaisy(f): 6:15pm On Jun 04, 2013
Thanks Vikin.

My 2 weeks+ baby girl can suck for almost an hour+ before she is full, my question,,,,is this normal or is my milk not flowing fast enough? most times i get really tired and my back hurts by the time we are finally thru, just want to know if this is normal with most babies. Also getting her to burp takes up another 10 to 15 mins and then she starts hiccupping,,,,,,,the hiccups worry me as they are too frequent, virtually everytime she burps.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jun 04, 2013
pinkydaisy: Thanks Vikin.

My 2 weeks+ baby girl can suck for almost an hour+ before she is full, my question,,,,is this normal or is my milk not flowing fast enough? most times i get really tired and my back hurts by the time we are finally thru, just want to know if this is normal with most babies. Also getting her to burp takes up another 10 to 15 mins and then she starts hiccupping,,,,,,,the hiccups worry me as they are too frequent, virtually everytime she burps.

It's very normal, u Berra enjoy it now because when she is getting bigger, she will tend to feed in less time but frequently. I think it has to be your milk supply is not yet enough, as from 3 weeks or later, she nurses less time. This is my experience anyway.

Hiccups are same with mine. My doc told me it was normal. Just burp as much as you can.

How is her tummy? Does she have tummy ache?
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by blank(f): 10:08pm On Jun 04, 2013
@pinkdaisy,express milk in a bottle to know exactly how much she is eating. Then you will know if your milk is enough for her at her age. Also, you need to check your posture while breastfeeding and if you need a pillow or nursing support. Even if you nurse for 2 hrs, ur back should not hurt.

I am surprised to hear that it's a big deal if a baby has a bigger opening. My baby had it. His was up to his face. I didn't do anything about it neither did anyone make a fuss about it and it is now totally covered. We learn new things everyday.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ona2: 3:04pm On Jun 05, 2013
pinkydaisy: Hello mums,,new in here, had my baby on the 16th of May and to God be the glory. It has been from one problem to the other but all is well now, i can boldly come to this thread to learn more.
My baby didn't poop after the initial 4/5 days of mecomium,,,,,,she finally pooped after almost 11 days, come and see screaming and tears in the little angels eyes ,,,,but God being so merciful, she passed poop and has been calmer since then. People said it had to do with my diet but i have been reading online that it happens most times to most babies.

After her birth, i noticed her eyes were kind of off coloured from what am used to seeing in most new borns and drew the attention of the doctor to it but he kept on insisting it was normal, not until after about 24 hours when i noticed her pee was so concentrated and practically screamed the doctor into having a look at her,,,my sisters when she was tested for Jaundice, it was so high(the normal level of Billirubim for infants is about 2 but my baby's was 12 ) they began treatment for Jaundice with photo-theraphy for about 3 days and nights, i was just crying like a baby watching her under the heat of that light Unclad and alone. Her skin got so burnt and she lost so much weight very fast,you could just see her disapearing right before your eyes, worst of all, my milk refused to flow.
When we were finally discharged, i took my angel home preparing to start motherhood in peace, when it was noticed that the baby had more than the usual opening on her skull,,the Yorubas call it Oka,,hope i spelt it right? and the igbos call it ngbuwaisi,,,,,my dears, come and see panicking, everybody kept on bringing suggestions on how to help the skull cover up fast and sincerely i was at my wits end. i just turned to God in prayer and reminded him that his gifts added no sorrows so why am i jumping from one problem to the other with my gift that he has given me.I cried and cried unto God and finally somehow, i received his grace on what advice to listen to and what to discard.
Presently, my angel is thriving and she even smiles now, funny. She is eating fine and gaining the weight, slowly but surely.

Long and short of this is that every mother knows her baby best and should pay close attention to the child, always ask questions and be ready to sieve the responses you receive, discarding the unnecessary advices without being rude. Most of all,,God alone knows these babies best, always ask him for his grace and guidance on how to take care of your baby and please worry less cos God can not bring you this far to leave you.

IT IS WELL.

it is well with you and the baby pinkydaisy. Send my love to her.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by omogemi: 3:33pm On Jun 05, 2013
pinkydaisy: Hello mums,,new in here, had my baby on the 16th of May and to God be the glory. It has been from one problem to the other but all is well now, i can boldly come to this thread to learn more.

IT IS WELL.
It is well o my sister. Yes God wont bring u ds far 2 leave u.
For d 'oka' thing, ds is what i did. I was told to buy oka @ elewe omo (7 for girls). Soak it in a covered container for 3days and after dt use it 2 wash her head when bathing. No drinking o. Then put silverbird in her oil, mayb half in a bottle of baby oil and apply it on her head everytym and cover d head with cap. It closes d head quickly.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jun 05, 2013
pls mothers in the house,my baby has been 5kg since her 9 th week,she is now in Her 17th week,she nurses for@just five mins every hour or two so worried we v been EBF,v tried to get her to drink milk or cereals,she isnt,so confused,pls help
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 05, 2013
casler: pls mothers in the house,my baby has been 5kg since her 9 th week,she is now in Her 17th week,she nurses for@just five mins every hour or two so worried we v been EBF,v tried to get her to drink milk or cereals,she isnt,so confused,pls help
Are you Nigerian? Am asking because my baby wanted to go that route, what I did was buy formula to supplement to my breast milk ( I couldn't pump breast milk). She didn't take for straight 2 days, I kept wasting my hard earned formula until one day I decided to go the Nigerian way. I kept feeding her the milk when ever she was hungry, she kept rejecting, crying, shouting until she gave up then have no choice than to take the milk. My br.eaast was swollen but it was worthit. She started taking bottle and brea.a.st.

smiley

Keep trying, she will take it..
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by omogemi: 7:24pm On Jun 05, 2013
@pinky as for d hiccups it's normal. Yoruba people will say 'on fe inu'(dnt knw if i got it) i.e d tummy is expanding. So in a way it a good sign. If u can, breastfeed her when she starts having it. Also, i hv xperienced backpain when breastfeeding, what i did was put pillow at my back, place a leg on the stool n relax while i breastfed. U could try it too.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by pinkydaisy(f): 5:55am On Jun 07, 2013
thanks a lot sisters for the responses and advise,,,God will surely bless you all for the good work carried out on this thread everyday.
@Vikin,,, i am trying to burp her as much as possible, she doesn't burp easily though. About the tummy ache,,am not really sure but i noticed she kinds of twists around most times and frown her face ,,,,but no particular reaction is received from her when i massage the tummy, what is the best way to determine that my baby's discomfort is as a result of tummy pain? i am currently giving her Brite water.

@omogemi, thanks, currently we are using silverbird and palm kernel oil, working really great and fast.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by trinity042(f): 10:40am On Jun 07, 2013
I just discovered this thread and I'm loving it, my baby will be 5ms come 12th of this month, he refused taking d SMA I gave him, he prefers d Brst milk. My problem now is my brst is now on fire, d surroundings is now peeling off. I really need an alternative cos I'm scared of feeding him because of d pains I'll go thru.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 11:39am On Jun 07, 2013
pinkydaisy: thanks a lot sisters for the responses and advise,,,God will surely bless you all for the good work carried out on this thread everyday.
@Vikin,,, i am trying to burp her as much as possible, she doesn't burp easily though. About the tummy ache,,am not really sure but i noticed she kinds of twists around most times and frown her face ,,,,but no particular reaction is received from her when i massage the tummy, what is the best way to determine that my baby's discomfort is as a result of tummy pain? i am currently giving her Brite water.

@omogemi, thanks, currently we are using silverbird and palm kernel oil, working really great and fast.

Deja vu cheesy!

Min had the tummy ache from her 3rd week, it's wasn't funny, she frowns and twist most times when she sleeps, I massage and all, didn't help much...I took a short cut by lying her on her stomach. She slept 4 hrs straight , with constant monitoring by me...making sure she was still breathing cheesy..I also introduced the pacifier to her too.
It helped though but...
3 months now, she is used to the pacifier and can't sleep with out it, and also sleep longer hours on her stomach...but am gradually taking off the pacifier from her and try making her fel safe lying on her back.

I suggest you keep gently massaging her belly with you hands , you can also introduce the pacifier cos it helps calm them down, but be sure not to give them too much of it.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jun 07, 2013
@Vikin,thanks alot,for your advice and sharing.Yes,im nigerian,i took to your advice immediately,she cried n threw most of the milk at first,though some got to her,she is more co operative the 3rd time and i believe by end of weekend she will be taking the bottle and breast,so greatful to u and more satisfied at her
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by pinkydaisy(f): 5:25pm On Jun 07, 2013
Vikin:

Deja vu cheesy!

Min had the tummy ache from her 3rd week, it's wasn't funny, she frowns and twist most times when she sleeps, I massage and all, didn't help much...I took a short cut by lying her on her stomach. She slept 4 hrs straight , with constant monitoring by me...making sure she was still breathing cheesy..I also introduced the pacifier to her too.
It helped though but...
3 months now, she is used to the pacifier and can't sleep with out it, and also sleep longer hours on her stomach...but am gradually taking off the pacifier from her and try making her fel safe lying on her back.

I suggest you keep gently massaging her belly with you hands , you can also introduce the pacifier cos it helps calm them down, but be sure not to give them too much of it.

My dear, putting them on the tummy is quite risky sha,,,anyway with constant monitoring like you said but i no go fit oh.
I have introduced the pacifier but all the alarmists around me are saying that it aggravates colic, that the baby is just sucking in air,,now i dnt knw what to believe again,,,the pacifier is very very soothing ,,,,,i'll just continue with it then.

Is it also true that if you eat bread as the mother, the baby gets constipated,,,,,am a big fan of bread,,,dnt know if that is what is making her not poo until 9-10 days. Cnt seem to stay away from it in as much as i try,,,,,i go even wake for night after breastfeeding go chop bread Someone pls help.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 07, 2013
pinkydaisy:

My dear, putting them on the tummy is quite risky sha,,,anyway with constant monitoring like you said but i no go fit oh.
I have introduced the pacifier but all the alarmists around me are saying that it aggravates colic, that the baby is just sucking in air,,now i dnt knw what to believe again,,,the pacifier is very very soothing ,,,,,i'll just continue with it then.

Is it also true that if you eat bread as the mother, the baby gets constipated,,,,,am a big fan of bread,,,dnt know if that is what is making her not poo until 9-10 days. Cnt seem to stay away from it in as much as i try,,,,,i go even wake for night after breastfeeding go chop bread Someone pls help.

Just take plenty water to ease the constipation. Make sure you eat balanced diet because for your nutrition and that of baby.

I stopped breastfeeding at her 3 rd month, but when I was breastfeeding, there is always a bottle of water by my bed! Really necessary.

Pacifier helped my baby' s cry problem, now that she seems to be doing ok, it's taking a long time to stop her,..if I leave her with hubby, any small crankiness, hubby will just put the thing in her mouth angry..

I think I will dispose of it or hide them let's see how it goes
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by seundaniels: 6:28pm On Jun 07, 2013
trinity042: I just discovered this thread and I'm loving it, my baby will be 5ms come 12th of this month, he refused taking d SMA I gave him, he prefers d Brst milk. My problem now is my brst is now on fire, d surroundings is now peeling off. I really need an alternative cos I'm scared of feeding him because of d pains I'll go thru.

Plz I beg u, don't try to stop cos its his continuous sucking of the breast that is going to heal it if not, it may not. He has to suck it back to health, I op u understand? Its nt easy but u have to endure the pain.
All the best.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jun 07, 2013
@Vikin,thanks so much for the advice and sharing.yes, im nigerian. I tried and though she vomitted some i knew some got into her,with this way i know before the weekend she will totally take both breast and bottle,but im so scared of choking,im believing this gonna work,thanks alot again.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.