Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,986 members, 7,810,744 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:23 PM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (770) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4392738 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (767) (768) (769) (770) (771) (772) (773) ... (2515) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 7:26pm On Dec 18, 2016
This is Christmas Week. We all do not want to keep bringing up fights and petty exchanges of words. If you wish to say anything aggressive or argumentative to anyone, PLEASE PM THEM! No need for anyone to reply this, thanks.

SEASONS GREETINGS, EVERYONE.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 7:28pm On Dec 18, 2016
pheesayor:

Thank you Ma, she however has stopped sucking like she used to, she has cold and cough and we are using panda cold for that and vitamin C to boost her immune system because cold is a common thing in my family. Her mum is deeply worried about her reduced appetite. Could it have anything to do with teething symptoms?

It may be teething or Tonsilistis (swollen tonsils at the back of the mouth/throat). You should take her to the hospital for a look. Hope she feels better.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 7:28pm On Dec 18, 2016
sugarcanebaby:
No I haven't zaynie. Have been to the hospital afterwards and the doc assured me it was OK.

My baby would be three months in January and I'm also to resume back to work. Right now, hubby and I have the option of getting a nanny(live in\or daily) and a creche. I found one close to where I live. My questions are;

1. Which one is better, a nanny a creche?

2. Is my baby too young like some people say?

3. What should I look out for as I would be going back there next week to assess them.

Please don't jump and pass. I need your input as it breaks my heart every time I think of the fact that I'd have to leave him with someone else.

Cc: feddy, iomoge, liftedhands, alphahandmaiden, onegai, helovesme, danzak, tojued etc

1. Everything helovesme said. Though I like the new idea of taking your Nanny to the creche.

2. Most crèches accept 12 week old babies. Do what you have to do and don't beat yourself up. If you resign to take care of your baby, people will still talk.

3. Everything helovesme said. Though you need to prioritise, cos it's unlikely any creche will have all that and be close to your workplace. E.g.my los creche is affordable, neat, there are 2 caregivers to 3 children, and many good things. But it's old school so there are no cognitive activities. They don't even give that daily report in a book thingy (na this one pain me pass)

For me the tipping point is overcrowding. I need lo in a place with maximum 2 caregivers to 5 kids. That was the major criteria I searched with cos even the best crèches and caregivers become horrible once overwhelmed.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 7:40pm On Dec 18, 2016
Iyawotobe, it depends on you and your plans for next year. I wanted to start school in January but we may wait till August/September.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 7:40pm On Dec 18, 2016
suzystores:
Happy Sunday beautiful Mummies.I have learnt alot from here.God bless you all.I m a silent follower tho.hope i m welcomed.Pls my baby girl is 4months and 2weeks.she has been rejecting both breast milk n fomular .i tryed forcing her but she do throw up.this morning i tryed giving her pap n she was so happy drinking it.My question is should i start giving her pap at dis stage,is she matured enof to start taking pap or cereals.cos i colleague told me her digestive system is not yet matured at dis stage.if yes what type of cereals can i introduce to her.pls i need your response.

Well I know folks give 4 month old babies pap sha, they make it very light and add milk. I don't like pap personally because I feel it's bereft of nutrients.

But if that's what madam wants, if I were in your shoes I'd give her. But I'd make sure I pack at least half of her daily milk requirements into her pap. For instance if at 4 months she needs 6 spoons 5 times daily, if she's taking pap 5 times daily put at least 4 spoons 5 times. Then let her drink a lot of water to prevent constipation.

My lo of recent eats small small. So sometimes I give him just a spoon of cereal but with at least 5 spoons of milk. Meanwhile my cereal doesn't need milk o. I just make sure that the few times he eats he gets a good portion of his rda (he's supposed to take 7 spoons of milk 5 times daily). Then we keep drinking water cos he loves water. Then I also breastfeed as much as possible to make up the balance.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by suzystores: 7:51pm On Dec 18, 2016
Thank you so much @ DANZAK,FINA4804 and Tojued.i will try it out tomorrow.God bless you all.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by soonest(f): 7:51pm On Dec 18, 2016
bussy2rhymes:
Happy Sunday to all mamas, my ds has boils on his head, took him to see the doctor. He place him on Augmentin for 7 days. My Question is what is the right dose of Augmentin 228/5ml for a 8 weeks old.
Thanks

cc: soonest and all sabi mama

Weight of the baby is best used to calculate doses, so what's your baby's weight. However, If he's up to 5.5kg, then he should take 1.5ml every 12hours using Augmentin 228 syrup. Augmentin 156 is better used for that age grade sha. What dose did your doctor give you. Use syringe minus the needle to get accurate measurement.
Hope your Dr told you to expect loose stool with augmentin.

Ps: I saw your pm and replied but the mail returned undelivered. Drop your email addy let me mail you directly. Cheers
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugarcanebaby: 8:35pm On Dec 18, 2016
Thank you danzak,iomoge and cappo feddy27 forbyiur responses

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 18, 2016
MummyGwen:
U all have said well... But if only u know what am passing thru with this my drama queen, u all will raise hand for be and a trophy for been the best and most caring mother on planet earth, my baby don't eat, a six months old looking like a 3months old, looking lean, she can put food in her mouth and not swallow it for ages, she will just keep it there. And for the record, I have tried all those blend fruit, even my colleagues do laff at me, I have to go to shoprite the other day to get all the good fruits baby likes, like kiwi, apple, pear, potatoes and the rest, I spent 8k that day, money is not the problem here as I and her dad have decided to give her anything she wishes to eat but she will put the food in her mouth and not eat it, this moment she will eat it the next she won't, for u all to see the many things I ve bought for her in the previous post means I ve done all what u have said, I have read and read all in how a baby will eat, I search Internet everyday cos of that, and as for giving adult food, I am also doing that, but she don't eat much, she will take one or two lil one and d next thing is water all thru. I love my baby so much as I have even ask and they said take her for massaging and I have done that, they said buy her multivitamin and my house have become a mini pharmacy that have all the multivitamin any one can think of including dynamogen. Oya those that said they have pass thru this kind of situation maybe u will tell me that ur baby will put food in their mouth and refuse to swallow it at all and she will pretend she is sleeping, she can sleep with that food in her mouth. Hehehe... I wonder how she learnt all that trick, I am not happy beating my child, it not a thing of joy that any mom will beat even her grown up not to say a six months old. And besides when she is crying she don't still take much she cry in a way that she won't still swallow the food like she is crying and the food is still in her mouth, have anyone also seen that or pass thru that. I have join this thread almost four months and I read everything, before I posted here know it has gone beyond my control. Thanks for all the response, and mind u am not justifying myself. She even refuse formular, I tried that one when ever I notice she want water and she refuse drinking it, the only thing she take is breastmilk. Can a six months survive on that and am a working mom. She goes to crèche. Oya make una respond again.
i know this post has generated a lot of issues but i just have to chip this in, sometimes this blessings of ours can really push us to our limits, i relate to this post of yours as i was also in your shoes and i feel i have to respond, please firstly you need to be super patient with your dear daughter, then. you should take her to the paed to rule out any underlying illness, STOP SELF MEDICATING her, especially not dynamogen, her kidney is still too fragile, if she only wants breastmilk please just keep breastfeeding her, look at the bigger picture, she wont breaastfeed for life, keep yourself hydrated, eat well, and take lots of liquid, pump and keep pumping in her bottle ,for her to take to creche, start feeding her lil by lil, when you eat put a little in her mouth from YOUR plate, dont bother buying expensive cereals yet, make fortified pap and add her formular, give it to her dad to feed her, sing for her, make funny faces, dance and if she finds any tv programme fascinating, put it on for her, even if she takes just two spoons, its fair, you drink the rest and breast feed her immediately, keep breastfeeding her, and please be patient with her, you will tell her the story later. e.hugs, take care of yourself.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 9:33pm On Dec 18, 2016
About Babies, Toddlers and Food, it has been proven scientifically that they will eat when hungry and pick the healthiest option of all meals. If anyone doesn't believe that, allow me to illustrate with what my kid os doing right this moment:

I prepared a lovely sauce (ground beef, carrots, green pepper, spring onions, red onions, tomatoes and a dash of curry, cinnamon, pepper and salt). Truly delicious and not peppery (in her own case). I served it with ripe plantain, mashed (which she eats normally and has gotten tired of). That caused one hour of fighting.

I tried boiled yam with butter. She ate some and then we fought some more. She started picking out the carrots from the sauce, which we ate as well. Himself said to try fresh carrots. So we peeled and sliced a carrot, unboiled. SHE HAS FINISHED IT! We will top up with Cerelac and call it a day.

Will carrots make her plump? Nope. Will they make her healthier than some plump kid drinking down pap? Yes. I am constantly told "give her what she wants and don't force her, on her own she will pick healthy choices. They are wired to take what they need to survive".

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by pheesayor(m): 9:52pm On Dec 18, 2016
Onegai:

It may be teething or Tonsilistis (swollen tonsils at the back of the mouth/throat). You should take her to the hospital for a look. Hope she feels better.

I suspect teething because she puts her index finger in her mouth as if she's itching her gum and she feels good whenever she does it. The only time she cries is when she wants to sleep and the only solution is backing her.
To check for tonsillitis, I can't afford a hospital visit right now but I'll keep observing. If it is teething, what is the best thing to use? My mum brought bonababe months ago and told us to keep for when she starts teething problems

helovesme:

Her loss in appetite is down to the cold. I really doubt if it's teething.
She must be experiencing pain/discomfort swallowing hence why she's not keen on milk.
I experienced something similar (cold, reduced feeding, and slight rise in temperature) with my son and I took him to the hospital when it didn't look like he was getting any better after 24hours from when I first noticed the symptoms. The doctor opened his mouth and checked his tonsils and also used his fingers to feel the side of his neck.
It turned out that he had tonsillitis and the doctor explained that with tonsillitis, babies find it painful to swallow. Tonsillitis in babies is literally sore throat. I can't remember if he was given mild antibiotics but I do remember I was told to continue feeding him and I should also give him warm water to drink.
I will suggest you take her to a hospital and have a doctor examine her.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 9:57pm On Dec 18, 2016
pheesayor:

I suspect teething because she puts her index finger in her mouth as if she's itching her gum and she feels good whenever she does it. The only time she cries is when she wants to sleep and the only solution is backing her.
To check for tonsillitis, I can't afford a hospital visit right now but I'll keep observing. If it is teething, what is the best thing to use? My mum brought bonababe months ago and told us to keep for when she starts teething problems

Don't drug her. Most of those stuff have things in them that are not just ordinary painkillers, even Drs don't like them. Keep her toys in the cold part of the fridge (not freezer) and give her to chew. Give her a towel with cool water to be sucking on, even regular water temp of Cold tap in the bathroom is cool enough to soothe her gums. The night before the tooth showed up, my LO would run a temp and that was when we gave her Infant Tylenol. So if she's in pain that cannot be soothed, try that.

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Amhappy(f): 10:34pm On Dec 18, 2016
Good evening super mums,lovely thread. I'm looking forward to the Christmas ish. Please lets avoid force feeding,I know a child that died around this time last year as a result of it cry. Before then I never knew it could kill a baby. Had watched my mum do it a hundredth time when we were young. May God keep our children from all evil. In other news the rate of child theft is on the rise this season. Please guard ur children well. Tell the husbands too. Good night.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ahnie: 11:31pm On Dec 18, 2016
We would be going to onitsha tomorrow to do our xmas purchases...pls say a prayer for us o.cos last year arround this same time...we had an encounter when they almst stole my little zino from me inside a bus.

Happy xmas in advance.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by helovesme(f): 11:38pm On Dec 18, 2016
Pheesayor
Onegai is right about the teething gel. Doctors do not prescribe them. I asked a pharmacist about them and she told me that there's just not enough scientific evidence to suggest they work but some mums are super convinced they work.

That said, I still went ahead and got Bongela. I won't really say it provides any relief jare - maybe 20%. undecided

Just as onegai has pointed out, what I do find effective is the use of cold teething rings which have been kept in a fridge or freezer. The problem however is that they do not stay cold for long once they are out.

I have attached a picture of teething rings that you can get. They are quite cheap.

Don't forget to keep giving her warm water to drink to help with her cold.

1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by maamee01(f): 12:11am On Dec 19, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

Just fnished the third part! thanks so much for your kind words, you actually motivated me on to finish it!

http://alphahandmaiden..co.uk/2016/12/part-3-weaning-foods-for-babies-6.html

I hope you find it useful.

Thanks Hun! I am finding it difficult posting comments on the blog.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 5:50am On Dec 19, 2016
pheesayor:

If you have some spare time, could you please share the ingredients of bonabebe? I'm quite curious.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by soonest(f): 6:39am On Dec 19, 2016
Tojued:

If you have some spare time, could you please share the ingredients of bonabebe? I'm quite curious.
Contains paracetamol and chlorpheniramine(piriton). Yes paracetamol will relieve pain but d piriton component will just keep dozing the child. I'm not just a fan of teething mixtures.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by dtush(f): 7:59am On Dec 19, 2016
ahnie:
We would be going to onitsha tomorrow to do our xmas purchases...pls say a prayer for us o.cos last year arround this same time...we had an encounter when they almst stole my little zino from me inside a bus.

Happy xmas in advance.

Stole Ke, maybe you consider going alone

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by pheesayor(m): 9:38am On Dec 19, 2016
I will do that once I get home

Tojued:

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by pheesayor(m): 9:40am On Dec 19, 2016
Thanks to everyone, I will get smaller teething rings. I have one that came with a baby care kit but it seems to be bigger than her mouth so it stops on her tongue

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 11:31am On Dec 19, 2016
MumZ:

Leave dem my dear, dey can always put d blame on preggy thread n its members wen it escalates.
Everyone here is a member of preggy thread, so don't take it personal.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 11:39am On Dec 19, 2016
This week's edition of #Threadbabies is titled "Christmas Special" and I will be reminding us all daily about it. I was hoping we could do a sort of Santa here to each other but we are still deciding on it. So get ready for Friday!

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 19, 2016

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MumZ(f): 12:59pm On Dec 19, 2016
comtem2011:
Everyone here is a member of preggy thread, so don't take it personal.

undecided
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sassyangel1(f): 1:42pm On Dec 19, 2016
E yaff do naaaaaa.... Ahhhnnnn ahhnnnn... Y r u behaving like a woman wen u r a babe sef? Women n quarrel r like 5 and 6 sef...

helovesme:

I just had this weird urge to look at your previous posts and I came across this rant of yours directed at me. I guess I must have missed it in my mentions.

E mi? Asswipe? Talk about gutter language.

I would have traded words with you but out of respect for three mums here and the nice lady that reached out to me on PM, I will just overlook your rant and stay classy.

However, what further convinced me that you are just NOT worth my TIME and INTELLECT trading words with was when I saw in another post that you are a GUIDER with the ponzi scheme scam called MMM (buhahhahahahahahaahahhahaahahaahhahahahaahhahahaahhahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaah grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
buhahhahahahahahaahahhahaahahaahhahahahaahhahahaahhahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaah

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Zheemub(f): 2:50pm On Dec 19, 2016
Good afternoon mamas.
Please I need your help. How can I encourage my son of 8 months to eat?
He eats bits and wants BM all the time.
Now, got a job and resuming Jan. Am scared of him starving in the crèche.
How do I do it?
Thanks

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Ganjababe: 3:25pm On Dec 19, 2016
Good afternoon Mamas,
Please what can one use for a baby of 8 months with Chicken Pox. Seems to still be in the initial stage. He has been taken to the hospital and the doc prescribed Calamine Lotion and Allergen Syrup.
Kindly provide ur inputs. God bless us all
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by AlphaHandMaiden(f): 4:15pm On Dec 19, 2016
Onegai:
This week's edition of #Threadbabies is titled "Christmas Special" and I will be reminding us all daily about it. I was hoping we could do a sort of Santa here to each other but we are still deciding on it. So get ready for Friday!

It will be interesting to see how the santa thing will work out.

Few suggestions:
Perhaps each area can have a "santa's helper" that will collate the list of interested parties. I.e port harcourt, benin, lagos( lekki, ikeja, surulere e.t.c)

The helper will allocate each person's name to a number and then each person on the list will choose a number (ovbiously not yourself) to determine who you buy a gift for.

Arrange a hook up in a common place or park to exchange the gifts

Put a spend cap on the gifts e.g N2,000. But please if anyone is feeling generous and would like to add a few extra 000000 , i am sure the beneficiary wont mind. grin

4 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 4:37pm On Dec 19, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

It will be interesting to see how the santa thing will work out.

Few suggestions:
Perhaps each area can have a "santa's helper" that will collate the list of interested parties. I.e port harcourt, benin, lagos( lekki, ikeja, surulere e.t.c)

The helper will allocate each person's name to a number and then each person on the list will choose a number (ovbiously not yourself) to determine who you buy a gift for.

Arrange a hook up in a common place or park to exchange the gifts

Put a spend cap on the gifts e.g N2,000. But please if anyone is feeling generous and would like to add a few extra 000000 , i am sure the beneficiary wont mind. grin

Actually I was thinking something easier. N100 to N500 credit (because not everyone can do upto N2000 but if anyone is feeling flush). Also, to avoid keeping it local, someone can come here and say "Alphahandmaiden, Santa coming your way!" and PM you to ask what company you use (Airtel, Etisalat etc) and send you credit numbers. Doing that means most people would be covered and our England based mummies can also participate for our Naija mums (since, you know, one coin is now N500 grin).

If anyone wants to hook up, that's fine but for some of us, there is no-one close to us, or we may not want to go that far or even have the time to get out the house. And nominating someone to pick names may lead to some issues so this is more free. And we can send Santa to someone via credit and it doesn't mean they have to reciprocate to us, they can pass it on and send Santa to someone else.

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by comtem2011: 4:58pm On Dec 19, 2016
zionx:
Wow , so many pages to read. Thanks helovesme for checking up on me. I saw your PM. I so much appreciate.
Thank God for this thread. So many things to learn.

Now I just have to share this. My lo doesnt like taking drugs. Yesterday evening, I was trying to give him his drug (he has malaria). He was rejecting as usual, I now remembered the method my aunt taught me about giving him drug when he is crying. I said I should try it oo. He was crying as usual and I poured just little quantity to the corner of his mouth (just like how she taught me). That was how my lo started coughing, tears coming out of his eyes, I started panicking (Gosh I was so scared). Thank God for my parent, they collected him from me and put just little salt on his tongue (I had already gone to take the car keys, forgetting first aid...lol). Reading through the thread now, I realised what I did was also FORCE FEEDING DRUGS. I made a vow yesterday NEVER to force a child to take drugs or anything whatsoever. I thank God I didn't learn my lesson the hard way.

This morning, I tried giving him pap, he rejected it, I packed the pap and told him since you dont want, I WON'T FORCE you. I just feel I should share this. Thanks to all mamas for the enlightenment.

May we all reap the fruits of our labour. God bless you all.
Thank God for you dear sis. Instead of using the cup that normally comes with drug, use syringe instead, sterilize and measure the ml required, drop little by little by the corner of his mouth. Same method when giving ORS. A Dr friend taught me this method.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (767) (768) (769) (770) (771) (772) (773) ... (2515) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.