Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,775 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Should Women Be Silent In Churches? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Women Be Silent In Churches? (10690 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / Corruption In Nigeria: Even In Churches, Ushers Steal From Offerings – PFN Chief / Lack Of Manners In Churches These Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by DoctorMcgruff: 1:43pm On Jun 24, 2012
1st corinthians 12: 7-14, Paul talks about how the church is like a Body and the Body needs all parts of itself to work properly, he was indicating that everyone in a church is important and in fact needed in order for the church to function properly, this destroys the entire notion of women remaining silent in the church which would mean they are useless and not needed.....(connect back to the gifts of the spirit)
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by logicboy01: 1:44pm On Jun 24, 2012
DoctorMcgruff: By mistake i said chapter 11, i meant chapter 12, let me end this. People tend to overlook a key important passage after chapter 11. When Paul was talking about spiritual gifts one of which is verse 8
8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; and and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another {various} kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.

Paul is basically stating that we ALL, Men and Women and people of all races can receive these gifts of God, one of which is prophecy,which once again askes the question why would paul say women should remain silent? when he is stating that they can receive the gift of prophesy It once again only proves that he was speicfially addressing the women of the church of corinth who were doing something wrong

Put the bible quotes forward. Dont be intellectually lazy.

You are doing three things;
-making a baseless accusation against the corinthian women, of which your solution of silence will not solve anthing and is still sexist
-implying that Paul was schizophrenic and contradicting himself
-parts of the bible are irrelevant to us in the moder day

1 Like

Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by logicboy01: 1:46pm On Jun 24, 2012
DoctorMcgruff: 1st corinthians 12: 7-14, Paul talks about how the church is like a Body and the Body needs all parts of itself to work properly, he was indicating that everyone in a church is important and in fact needed in order for the church to function properly, this destroys the entire notion of women remaining silent in the church which would mean they are useless and not needed.....(connect back to the gifts of the spirit)

Following a body analogy, a body has parts that are not necessary for survival nails, hair etc.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by ujchief(m): 1:47pm On Jun 24, 2012
logicboy01:

grin grin grin grin

You can't explain the verse and so you attack the messenger. You sound frustrated and defeated. grin

u dont believe in God, yet u're passionately obsessive with His word. Confused breed of lost souls! Worse than an infidelgringrin
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by logicboy01: 1:50pm On Jun 24, 2012
ujchief:
u dont believe in God, yet u're passionately obsessive with His word. Confused breed of lost souls! Worse than an infidelgringrin

huh? Was a catholic for a long time before becoming an atheist. Go figure.

You are the one confused by your pastors who select only the good parts of the bible for you to swallow grin. You cant even explain the simple verse I put forward and so, you claim that it is out of context and I'm making fun of the bible grin grin grin
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by DoctorMcgruff: 1:50pm On Jun 24, 2012
1.now i realise your not reading what i am writing and your being a troll,study the bible and read up on the women of corinth, then you would know its not baseless
2.I stated that my point was in chapter 12, where paul points out the gifts of the spirit which both men and women can have one of which is prophecy and knowledge...let me put this in much simpler terms (ALL CAN GET GIFTS OF SPIRIT,ALL ARE IMPORTANT PARTS OF THE CHURCH, ALL(INCLUDING WOMEN) CAN PROPHESY
3.I never said paul had schizo, YOU said that, i basically pointed out that Pauls verse in chapter 11 was specifically for the women of corinth who were doing something wrong at the time. Albeit his statement was harsh and comes off as sexist, it was clearly misinterpreted by people who like to do selective reading

logicboy01:

-making a baseless accusation against the corinthian women, of which your solution of silence will not solve anthing and is still sexist
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by DoctorMcgruff: 1:50pm On Jun 24, 2012
1.now i realise your not reading what i am writing and your being a troll,study the bible and read up on the women of corinth, then you would know its not baseless
2.I stated that my point was in chapter 12, where paul points out the gifts of the spirit which both men and women can have one of which is prophecy and knowledge...let me put this in much simpler terms (ALL CAN GET GIFTS OF SPIRIT,ALL ARE IMPORTANT PARTS OF THE CHURCH, ALL(INCLUDING WOMEN) CAN PROPHESY
3.I never said paul had schizo, YOU said that, i basically pointed out that Pauls verse in chapter 11 was specifically for the women of corinth who were doing something wrong at the time. Albeit his statement was harsh and comes off as sexist, it was clearly misinterpreted by people who like to do selective reading

logicboy01:

Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by DoctorMcgruff: 1:52pm On Jun 24, 2012
Irrelevant point!, paul was not talking about nails or hair or nose hair, but was talking about the eyes,ears,legs,arms e.t.c... to FULLY function as the body should you need all those
logicboy01:

Following a body analogy, a body has parts that are not necessary for survival nails, hair etc.

Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by crackhouse(m): 1:55pm On Jun 24, 2012
logicboy01: Please, I am waiting for christians to explain this new testament verse;

1 Corinthians 14;34
women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says
meaning they should not spearhead the affairs of the church or dictate how the church will be governed. Have u heard of a woman being among jesus apostles? All the apostles were males, right?. Just Wondering why we have female pastors & general overseers these days. Will i say it's Family business, when the pastor dies the wife takes over. Endtime
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by bengoodcreature: 1:57pm On Jun 24, 2012
In the 1cor. 14:33, our God is proved not to be an author of confusion. The word of God is God himself as in john 1:1, so we as Christian shouldnt go against the word of God to avoid the shame that the 1cor. 14:35 is warning us about. God wld help us not to go against his will inorder to finally inherit his kingdom at last amen
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by ayobase(m): 1:57pm On Jun 24, 2012
logicboy01: Please, I am waiting for christians to explain this new testament verse;

1 Corinthians 14;34
women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says

Good question!
We should be able to discern btw God's commands and Paul's ethical commands according to I Corinthians 7:10 and 7:12.
With this, different churches with different doctrines. Doctrines are okay when they ethically godly!
With Corinth history ''Corinthians worshipped money and things it could purchase.
The city was a sprawling open-air market. They had their means of inflating prices when a ship wrecked.
Corinthians was second to Rome with a population of about 700,000.
In a nutshel, Corinth was a so civilised city where u can find parade of Roman diplomats and dignitaries.''
Corinthins treated women like slaves and properties.
In their days, women sitting with men discussing was abnormal, likewise in Church, and this was already bringing chaos in the church. Women questioning the authority of men in the church.
Like u behave like Roman, when in Rome and like Nigerian when in Nigeria.
Remember this ''Corinth looming as the city that was least likely to convert with crazy cults and new religions springing up there quickly, Paul was able to work in Corinth for 18months, and to everyone's surprise, the church he founded became one of the largest in the first century. But several years later, he heard reports that the church, true to its city's heritage, had broken out in a series of spritual ills.''
For Paul to solve chaos in church's meetings, 'he' simply gave the advice(command) that the women should stay clear.
U can ask question about anything when alone with ur husband.
But, we here is Nigeria, we dont treat our women like slaves....so, my wife, mount the stage and preach the word of God!

2 Likes

Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by logicboy01: 1:59pm On Jun 24, 2012
DoctorMcgruff: 1.now i realise your not reading what i am writing and your being a troll,study the bible and read up on the women of corinth, then you would know its not baseless

You keep bearing false witness about the women of Corinth. lol. Keep breaking God's commandments grin.

Also, Paul is contradicting himself. So how do we reconcile this?

Furthermore, there are bible verses that Show that Pauls verse on the silence of women was not just exclusive;

1 Timothy 2:12-15.

I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by ujchief(m): 2:00pm On Jun 24, 2012
logicboy01:

You are the one confused by your pastors who select only the good parts of the bible for you to swallow grin. You cant even explain the simple verse I put forward and so, you claim that it is out of context and I'm making fun of the bible grin grin grin
i never said u quoted the bible out of contex, i wouldnt give u the credit of a healthy arguement, what i said is 'u dont believe in God, yet u're passionately obsessive wiuh His word'. Read my post again, in ur quest to make fun of the bible, u're contradicting ur believe/unbelieve.
Being a catholic for 20 yrs doesnt add a star to ur atheist badge. Afterall, satan was a shareholder in heavengringrin

2 Likes

Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by DaMayor1: 2:01pm On Jun 24, 2012
I have always insisted that its not by force to be a Christian. If you want to "Follow", then be ready to submit to the doctrine. Paul (whom i suppose you believe to be the Apostle to the gentiles) categorically outlines the role of the women in the Church of Christ (1Chro14:34-36 and 1Tim2:11-14).
There is no ambiguity in these statements. No room for sentiments and logic. Women can certainly express the gifts of the spirit, but Authority (5 fold ministry of Apostle, Pastor, Evangelist, Teacher & Prophet) in the Church of Jesus Christ must be Man. Bishops and Deacons also refered to as "Husband of". Examples abound:

God referred to as HE
Angels referred to as HE
Levites all HE
Apostles all HE
Judas replaced by HE(and not Mary and co who were there) etc

Paul concludes:
"If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. BUT IF ANY MAN BE IGNORANT, LET HIM BE IGNORANT"...1Chor14:37-38
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by ayobase(m): 2:02pm On Jun 24, 2012
crackhouse: meaning they should not spearhead the affairs of the church or dictate how the church will be governed. Have u heard of a woman being among jesus apostles? All the apostles were males, right?. Just Wondering why we have female pastors & general overseers these days. Will i say it's Family business, when the pastor dies the wife takes over. Endtime

NOPE!
''Go ye into the world and preach the good news''
Was Jesus talking to the men alone?
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by logicboy01: 2:02pm On Jun 24, 2012
ayobase:

Good question!
[b]We should be able to discern btw God's commands and Paul's ethical commands according to I Corinthians 7:10 and 7:12.
[/b]With Corinth history ''Corinthians worshipped money and things it could purchase.
The city was a sprawling open-air market. They had their means of inflating prices when a ship wrecked.
Corinthians was second to Rome with a population of about 700,000.
In a nutshel, Corinth was a so civilised city where u can find parade of Roman diplomats and dignitaries.''
Corinthins treated women like slaves and properties.
In their days, women sitting with men discussing was abnormal, likewise in Church, and this was already bringing chaos in the church. Women questioning the authority of men in the church.
Like u behave like Roman, when in Rome and like Nigerian when in Nigeria.
Remember this ''Corinth looming as the city that was least likely to convert with crazy cults and new religions springing up there quickly, Paul was able to work in Corinth for 18months, and to everyone's surprise, the church he founded became one of the largest in the first century. But several years later, he heard reports that the church, true to its city's heritage, had broken out in a series of spritual ills.''
For Paul to solve chaos in church's meetings, 'he' simply gave the advice(command) that the women should stay clear.
U can ask question about anything when alone with ur husband.
But, we here is Nigeria, we dont treat our women like slaves....so, my wife, mount the stage and preach the word of God!

load of rubbish. How does it solve the problem by telling women to be silent in church?

Furthermore, you are saying that Paul was not writing God's word
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by logicboy01: 2:03pm On Jun 24, 2012
ayobase:

NOPE!
''Go ye into the world and preach the good news''
Was Jesus talking to the men alone?

I dont know but I am certain that Jesus had only male disciples
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by logicboy01: 2:05pm On Jun 24, 2012
ujchief:
i never said u quoted the bible out of contex, i wouldnt give u the credit of a healthy arguement, what i said is 'u dont believe in God, yet u're passionately obsessive wiuh His word'. Read my post again, in ur quest to make fun of the bible, u're contradicting ur believe/unbelieve.
Being a catholic for 20 yrs doesnt add a star to ur atheist badge. Afterall, satan was a shareholder in heavengringrin

How am I contradicting myself?

Explain the quote. Or if you dont like the quote, then how about this;

1 Timothy 2:12-15.

I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by logicboy01: 2:06pm On Jun 24, 2012
Da Mayor: I have always insisted that its not by force to be a Christian. If you want to "Follow", then be ready to submit to the doctrine. Paul (whom i suppose you believe to be the Apostle to the gentiles) categorically outlines the role of the women in the Church of Christ (1Chro14:34-36 and 1Tim2:11-14).
There is no ambiguity in these statements. No room for sentiments and logic. Women can certainly express the gifts of the spirit, but Authority (5 fold ministry of Apostle, Pastor, Evangelist, Teacher & Prophet) in the Church of Jesus Christ must be Man. Bishops and Deacons also refered to as "Husband of". Examples abound:

God referred to as HE
Angels referred to as HE
Levites all HE
Apostles all HE
Judas replaced by HE(and not Mary and co who were there) etc

Paul concludes:
"If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. BUT IF ANY MAN BE IGNORANT, LET HIM BE IGNORANT"...1Chor14:37-38

Sexist much?
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by Ellahdarrell(m): 2:06pm On Jun 24, 2012
DoctorMcgruff: By mistake i said chapter 11, i meant chapter 12, let me end this. People tend to overlook a key important passage after chapter 11. When Paul was talking about spiritual gifts one of which is verse 8
8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; and and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another {various} kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.

Paul is basically stating that we ALL, Men and Women and people of all races can receive these gifts of God, one of which is prophecy,which once again askes the question why would paul say women should remain silent? when he is stating that they can receive the gift of prophesy It once again only proves that he was speicfially addressing the women of the church of corinth who were doing something wrong
A woman have no place in 2day church, wether to lead in singing, prayers or profecy ie preachin. Dos offices dat demand leadership positions are given to men. Bros @ ur spare tym read 1 timothy 3: 1-7, same 1 tim.3: 8-13 and titus 1:5-6. Plz let da bible speak
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jun 24, 2012
ifihearam: So why do women head churches nowadays na??
endtime
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by ayobase(m): 2:09pm On Jun 24, 2012
logicboy01:

It simply means u never understood the Bible RHEMALLY but LOGOLLY.
How do u get insights of the Bible when u read it like ''Nothing lasts forever''.
When u have the Holy Sprirt to interpret, no confusion!
Anybody can easily twist the Bible to suit him/herself!
Being an atheist is cowardly!

1 Like

Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by DoctorMcgruff: 2:10pm On Jun 24, 2012
logicboy01 i got places to be but i will answer your question on the 1st timothy verse when i get back...i am actually more appalled by the replies of some christians than that of the athiests, the bible is much more than what you see face value, through Gods grace and mercy he opens it to us
logicboy01:

load of rubbish. How does it solve the problem by telling women to be silent in church?

Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by bestbizever(m): 2:12pm On Jun 24, 2012
logicboy01:

WOMEN ARE PART OF THE MINISTRY. WHEN JESUS WAS ON EARTH, THERE ARE WOMEN THAT MINISTER TO HIM E.G MARY MAG. AND THE REST OF THEM CAN'T MENTION NOW. ALSO JESUS SAID IN MATT 28:19 "HE SAID GO YE" INTO THE WORLD AND PREACH THE GOSPEL... THE YE THERE CAN BE ANYBODY THAT IS WILL TO GO. SO WOMEN HAVE THE SAME OPPORTUNITY AS MEN TO DO THE WORK OF GOD... THANK YOU
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by logicboy01: 2:13pm On Jun 24, 2012
ayobase:

It simply means u never understood the Bible RHEMALLY but LOGOLLY.
How do u get insights of the Bible when u read it like ''Nothing lasts forever''.
When u have the Holy Sprirt to interpret, no confusion!
Anybody can easily twist the Bible to suit him/herself!
Being an atheist is cowardly!

Lmao...

Rhemally, Deeper lifely nko?
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by logicboy01: 2:13pm On Jun 24, 2012
bestbizever: WOMEN ARE PART OF THE MINISTRY. WHEN JESUS WAS ON EARTH, THERE ARE WOMEN THAT MINISTER TO HIM E.G MARY MAG. AND THE REST OF THEM CAN'T MENTION NOW. ALSO JESUS SAID IN MATT 28:19 "HE SAID GO YE" INTO THE WORLD AND PREACH THE GOSPEL... THE YE THERE CAN BE ANYBODY THAT IS WILL TO GO. SO WOMEN HAVE THE SAME OPPORTUNITY AS MEN TO DO THE WORK OF GOD... THANK YOU

Abeg. Jesus had all male disciples.

Think again
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by ayobase(m): 2:21pm On Jun 24, 2012
Mankind8: The Mesage was meant for the Corintian women who believed to be more Than there Husband. The were proud, heartened and thought the were equal or supirior. That was why ApOSTle Paul was giving them His personal openion to corintian Women and duty. GO AND READ BIBLE HISTORY BASIS. Thanks to other pastor around here

Thank u my brother.
God bless u sooo much!
''ApOSTle Paul was giving them HIS PERSONAL opinion to corinthian Women and duty''
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by ayobase(m): 2:26pm On Jun 24, 2012
virgo:

Crap! Crap! Now stuff that fundamentalist crap where the sun don't shine. Jeez! What is wrong with you Africans? So because one chauvinist got his scripts included in the Bible, women should become invisible. Even the white man who brought his religion to you enjoys his hordes of female preachers. So what did the Bible say again? undecided

So, making a suggestion can turn one to Chauvinist.
Na wa o!
Seriously?
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by Denningtedy(m): 2:30pm On Jun 24, 2012
I WONDER THE HELL shocked THAT IS WRONG WITH THIS SO CALLED MODERATORS.. WHY IS CHRISTIANITY ALWAYS THE GOSSIP OF THE DAY? WHY CAN'T YOU GUY TALK ABOUT THE ISLAM[color=#770077][/color]IC RELIGION?
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by ayobase(m): 2:31pm On Jun 24, 2012
logicboy01:

Please, dont bear false witness against the Corinthian women.

Even if what you say is true, telling women to be silent in church is still foolish and not the solution. Epic fail#

Can u give me a brief history of Corinth?
Remember,to suucessfully penetrate a place, respecting the land's godly ethics will be a must!
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by ayobase(m): 2:33pm On Jun 24, 2012
tunshe: Where did you get your explanation from?I will believe you are not twisting the bible when you learn to spell simple words in English:

Contribute if u wanna contribute!
Some are foolishly intelligent!
Re: Should Women Be Silent In Churches? by bukatyne(f): 2:33pm On Jun 24, 2012
ijawkid: It means in a congregation a woman shuldnt take d lead where men are....

hierarchy of headship demands that......

Women can't be overseers,heading congregation assignments....those responsibilities are meant for d men.....

In 1timothy 2:11-13 paul gives d reason why.....

11 A woman[a] should learn in quietness and full
submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to
teach or to assume authority over a man;[b]
she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed
first, then Eve...

That is Gods arrangement......

Read also 1 corinthians 11;3

If those principles are nt upheld definitly dis-array and indecency would be d result....
hello ijawkid, wat of Deborah?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Dramatic Construction Of Muslim's Response To Reading "The People Vs Muhammad" / What's The Difference Between Christianity And Jehovah Witness? / Questions For Atheists!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.