Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,209 members, 7,818,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? (14935 Views)

Lighthouse In Amazon (Complete Novel) / Missing Rib / The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by LarrySun(m): 9:06am On Jun 24, 2012
I have read a couple of books that have actually made me fall off my chairs with laughter; they are so very very hilarious. I'll share some of them with you:
1. Miss Shumway Waves a Wand by James Hardley Chase
2. Safer Dead by James Hardley Chase
3. Rosy Is My Relative by Gerald Durrel
4. The Archy McNally Series by Lawrence Sanders
5. The Road To Gandolfo by Robert Ludlum
6. Bruno (A short story from Strange Highways) by Dean Koontz

These books are wildly hilarious. You are free to share anyone you've read, too.

3 Likes

Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by LarrySun(m): 9:58am On Jun 24, 2012
Big Red Tequilas by Rick Riordan.
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by Shaunscot(m): 10:25am On Jun 25, 2012
Larry-Sun:
I have read a couple of books that have actually made me fall off my chairs with laughter; they are so very very hilarious. I'll share some of them with you:
1. Miss Shumway Waves a Wand by James Hardley Chase
2. Safer Dead by James Hardley Chase
3. Rosy Is My Relative by Gerald Durrel
4. The Archy McNally Series by Lawrence Sanders
5. The Road To Gandolfo by Robert Ludlum
6. Bruno (A short story from Strange Highways) by Dean Koontz

These books are wildly hilarious. You are free to share anyone you've read, too.

I dont think Safer dead was that funny but I would give it to Miss Shumway waves a wand and Road to Gandolfo.

Miss Shumway had me reeling with laughter I wasnt so sure I was reading a Chase.
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by tjskii(f): 12:55pm On Jun 25, 2012
Same with me,I actually fell off my bed in lafter readin dt miss shumway book,had no idea hardley chase had it in him
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by xrazzy(m): 12:58pm On Jun 25, 2012
block of six
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by LarrySun(m): 1:00pm On Jun 25, 2012
tjskii: Same with me,I actually fell off my bed in lafter readin dt miss shumway book,had no idea hardley chase had it in him

Shumway is very hilarious.
Rosy Is My Relative would also make you laugh your intestines out. smiley
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jun 25, 2012
lol...I am no book worm!
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by gulfer: 1:16pm On Jun 25, 2012
No Orchids for Miss Blandish - JHC: Some funny parts.
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by Ofuks(m): 1:19pm On Jun 25, 2012
Down The Village Street by Peter Douglas is the funniest novel I have ever read. Hilarious from the first to the last page!
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by Beowulf(m): 1:28pm On Jun 25, 2012
Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson is absolutely hilarious.

Poison Ivy by Peter Cheyney is another funny one.
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jun 25, 2012
Hahahaha....okay, okay, my lists goes like this:
1. Chike & The River by Chinua Achebe
2. The Lion & The Jewel by Wole Soyinka
3. The Play of The Giants by Wole Soyinka

No.1, Chike & The River got me laughing from beginning to end, especially when Chike was learning how to ride a bicycle, & when he boarded a lorry from his village to town to spend holiday with his uncle, the name of The lorry still make me laugh any time I remember it- Slow & Steady! Lol. Achebe is a wonderful writer that always have something thrilling & humorous to entertain every of his reader, I give up to him.
The Lion & The Jewel was more than funny, especially how the village belle fell for the photographer who came from township, & how the Lion finally lured her into sleeping with him, Soyinka was awesome there...*smiling*

Then to play of The giants, I am even laughing again as I just remembered it, how Soyinka ridiculed our African leaders, with Idi Amin as the star...what a president, who thinks that when his country money finished, & world bank refused to grant him more loan, that the easiest way to raise more money was to order his CBN governor to get more paper & print more money. & even how he was messing the Russians, Americans, even in their own soil....Soyinka did an awesome work there...funny books, awesome thread, thanks @op!

2 Likes

Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by LarrySun(m): 1:39pm On Jun 25, 2012
x-razzy:
block of six

Who wrote 'Block of Six'?
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by LarrySun(m): 1:41pm On Jun 25, 2012
Ofuks: Down The Village Street by Peter Douglas is the funniest novel I have ever read. Hilarious from the first to the last page!

Is' Down the Village' an African novel?
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by LarrySun(m): 1:42pm On Jun 25, 2012
Beowulf: Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson is absolutely hilarious.

Poison Ivy by Peter Cheyney is another funny one.

Do you have these books?
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by yuzedo: 1:44pm On Jun 25, 2012
Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain will have you weeping! I mean, literally C.R.Y.I.N.G! God punish me if i'm lying. . .
Lines and Shadows by Joseph Wambaugh will leave you in stitches. . One of the most interesting and awfully funny novels out there even though its about non-fiction crime and violence.
I stake my life on both novels.
Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain wasn't made one of the greatest American books of all times for nothing. Mark Twain is my god. Arguably the greatest writer second to perhaps only Shakespeare.

4 Likes

Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by LarrySun(m): 1:44pm On Jun 25, 2012
DailyNews: Hahahaha....okay, okay, my lists goes like this:
1. Chike & The River by Chinua Achebe
2. The Lion & The Jewel by Wole Soyinka
3. The Play of The Giants by Wole Soyinka

No.1, Chike & The River got me laughing from beginning to end, especially when Chike was learning how to ride a bicycle, & when he boarded a lorry from his village to town to spend holiday with his uncle, the name of The lorry still make me laugh any time I remember it- Slow & Steady! Lol. Achebe is a wonderful writer that always have something thrilling & humorous to entertain every of his reader, I give up to him.
The Lion & The Jewel was more than funny, especially how the village belle fell for the photographer who came from township, & how the Lion finally lured her into sleeping with him, Soyinka was awesome there...*smiling*

Then to play of The giants, I am even laughing again as I just remembered it, how Soyinka ridiculed our African leaders, with Idi Amin as the star...what a president, who thinks that when his country money finished, & world bank refused to grant him more loan, that the easiest way to raise more money was to order his CBN governor to get more paper & print more money. & even how he was messing the Russians, Americans, even in their own soil....Soyinka did an awesome work there...funny books, awesome thread, thanks @op!
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by LarrySun(m): 1:50pm On Jun 25, 2012
@DailyNews,
Those books are classics, but I've not gotten down to reading them. I read Western instead.
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by Caracta(f): 2:05pm On Jun 25, 2012
Pls, where can i download these books online for free?
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jun 25, 2012
Animal Farm, and Lord of the Flies. I'm a sociopath, sue me.
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by LarrySun(m): 2:09pm On Jun 25, 2012
Caracta: Pls, where can i download these books online for free?

You may go to 'wattpad.com', but I'm not sure if the site is still in existence, neither do I know if they have these books in their archives anymore.

1 Like

Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jun 25, 2012
Micronaunts, Spacejock, Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy.
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by LarrySun(m): 2:11pm On Jun 25, 2012
SimonAndal: Animal Farm, and Lord of the Flies. I'm a sociopath, sue me.

I don't think those ones you named are really that hilarious; except of course, the themes therein about racism are the funny parts.
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by LarrySun(m): 2:15pm On Jun 25, 2012
SimonAndal: Micronaunts, Spacejock, Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy.

I have the 'Hitchiker's Guide to Galaxy', 'Confederacy of the Dunce' and 'Slaughterhouse 5. I read slaughterhouse but it wasn't very hilarious to me, so my belief about how funny the former are is reserved.
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by Emmy9ite(m): 2:16pm On Jun 25, 2012
The potter's wheel is hilarious.... Expecially in madam and teacher's house...

3 Likes

Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jun 25, 2012
Larry-Sun:
@DailyNews,
Those books are classics, but I've not gotten down to reading them. I read Western instead.

Larry, you have to find time & read them, they are overly hilarious any day any time...try them & see things yourself. African novelists are very good in humor, talking about Achebe, Soyinka, Ekwensi, Elechi, etc...
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by ayodot(m): 2:30pm On Jun 25, 2012
diary of a jambite
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by since1914(m): 2:36pm On Jun 25, 2012
I think you guys should download and listen to Stephen Leacock's audio books. They are short stories in mp3 format. There is also the PDF transcript of each story. The funniest one by far is 'Simple stories on Success'. www.booksshouldbefree.com
Don't know if I got the site right but, you can 'google' it.
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by lilkech(m): 2:42pm On Jun 25, 2012
the funniest book of all time has got to be :

THE BOOK OF NIGERIA AND ITS DEMOCRATIC GOVERNANCE

it is still being written by God himself up till this moment

your copy comes out once you are dead

click HERE to grab your copy now
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by SaintOzone: 2:44pm On Jun 25, 2012
Juo Obinna and Okpa aku eri eri
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by jdoss: 2:46pm On Jun 25, 2012
Big trouble by Dave Barry
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by ATLANTA96(m): 2:52pm On Jun 25, 2012
where can one get the african novels in the state(ATLANTA GA.?)
Re: Which Novel Has Made You Crack Your Rib With Laughter? by OmoKhary(f): 2:58pm On Jun 25, 2012
Larry-Sun:

You may go to 'wattpad.com', but I'm not sure if the site is still in existence, neither do I know if they have these books in their archives anymore.
it still exists,u can check epubbud.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Black Monday - A Crime Fiction / The One So Hot (18+) / An Insightful View Of The Nigerian Psyche

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.