Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,415 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? (14419 Views)

30 Wedding Gowns To Inspire Brides-to-be / My African Evening/occasion Gowns, Fashion Training / Must Wedding Gowns Be Sleeve-less? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 25, 2012
It's better to buy. Your daughter could wear it, her daughter, and her daughter after her. I've seen a lady that wore the dress worn by her great granny, her granny, and her mum. It could be a family tradition of sorts.
On another note, do you know that just a glass of water can power the whole of Lagos for 1 year? www.nairaland.com/973294/theres-enough-energy-glass-water
Have you also read Lucifer's secret diary? www.nairaland.com/974092/fanfic-secret-diary-lucifer
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jun 25, 2012
I would definately buy. There are dangers apociated with tins like lending a wedding dress. Buying is preferable
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by obimind(m): 8:51pm On Jun 25, 2012
scribble:

ur not yet married and already planning 10year anniv.

Go in peace, your faith has made u whole
Lwkmd!
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 25, 2012
As for me, I'm not thinking it twice. I'm so leasing my gown. Why spend so much on something that does not affect the beauty of my marriage?

Pls, I'll rent a dress to say 'I do' and live happily with my hubby , than spend so much . The whole buhaha about weddings can be crazy sometimes, especially when we female folks fuel the whole saga.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by obimind(m): 8:56pm On Jun 25, 2012
lummy2enny: All depend on what u believe in n ur taste...............new one is nt dat too expensive (depend on ur pocket). my wife bought new 1 during our weeding n wen she told me hw much she bought it , i was really surprised n it was so nice dat everybody was asking her where she got it from. also sometym hired 1 can be expensive as some new 1 depend on ur taste. Now my wife is abt taking it to a shop where dey can use it for hiring. u can get a new 1 n give it out for rentage later n get part of ur money back if so desire............
I like this approach! It's not bad at all especially when looking at it from the business point of view.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Ferya(f): 9:05pm On Jun 25, 2012
I think it is better to lease, although when I did my wedding I bought mine with ease but regretted it after my wedding. My reasons:
1. I found out I wasted that money which I would have used for something else.
2. My wedding gown have beautiful stones which fell off after drycleaning.
3. No longer in vogue now.
4. Heard the white gown now looks brownish or yellowish.
I wanted to sell it off after my wedding they were pricing the amount used for leasing. I told my friends to avoid making my mistake for it is better to lease, even if u want to lease a brand new gown,It is available.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by sylve11: 9:09pm On Jun 25, 2012
cool
kashala90: if you like rent or buy marriage is once in a life time

U dey give urself hope bah? grin
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by snthesis(m): 9:28pm On Jun 25, 2012
stagger: My wife insisted that she has one for keeps. Several years down the line, I doubt she even knows where it is now. The irrationality of most women is something that has always baffled me since.
for d sake of ur peace of mind, tis better she is irrational than a nag
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by drnoel: 9:37pm On Jun 25, 2012
pedestal82: @Op, yep they exist, Planning my wedding too, and we also agreed to lease
A wedding gown. I think its a smart move especialy when u knw ur financial strenght, and
Sweet when u hv a lady that understands.

really well I think it depends on the person in question. Wifey seriously insited on my buying hers although she knew we were on a tight budget. Told her if she wanted 2 have one she´d have to buy one herself (from her own pocket), she has a good job so it wasn´t a problem but she insisted I buy her shoe though smiley smiley that one knocked me out cos she didn´t actually need me to buy her shoes or any other stuff. Anyway, I paid 25K for one silver stilleto shoes she only wore once (sighs,...women) . She later helped out alot though, cos she helped balance-up the money for the hall we used (I had paid up 2/3rd and 4got we owed the balance) and some other little stuffs here and there cos I was almost completely out. Beside, the wedding gift she gave me was memorable. grin grin
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by olivia19(f): 9:40pm On Jun 25, 2012
Is it nt what u will use for jst one day? What is d need of u spendin money to buy when u no u can borrow one.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jun 25, 2012
madam CC do you have a shop in the UK or is is only for naija brides u cater for
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by tpapi: 9:58pm On Jun 25, 2012
ismhab: Is she not afraid of infectious diseases?
y r u formin 4 nairalanders
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by MissEZ(f): 10:00pm On Jun 25, 2012
you can rent a new wedding gown by the way. Not all rented wedding gowns are pre-worn. Also it is sometimes more expensive to rent a gown so cost is not the only reason people rent. For me i just dont want to deal with all the wahala that comes with preserving the gown after the wedding. Besides its just for one day.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by 3rdparty: 10:08pm On Jun 25, 2012
There's absolutely nothing wrong in leasing a wedding gown
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by tnktosin(m): 10:10pm On Jun 25, 2012
Its all about choice. My wife suggested renting her wedding gown since she'd not be needing it afterward but i insisted on buying for the memory of it. Some don't mind, some do.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Theblessed(f): 10:23pm On Jun 25, 2012
[size=16pt] I'll rather buy my own wedding dress than hire.

However, if money is tight then, I have no choice other than hire the dress as long as I get the ring on my third finger - but it will be better I have my own to refer to in future i.e. for my children and grandchildren and for my own memory lane.

So, get your own if you can! wink [/size]
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by stpat1(m): 11:37pm On Jun 25, 2012
I'll Rather hire a good one. but Pls as a guy aspiring to wed soon, I'll like to know how much it costs to rent a gown and whats the price range for wedding gowns?
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Sagamite(m): 11:41pm On Jun 25, 2012
JeSoul:
Infact, it is in my personal 'code of dressing conduct' NOT to wear so-called "designer" clothing/labels in general - especially if the label is on display. How much are Polo, Coach, Givenchy & co. paying me to advertise their clothing? way I see it, why should I pay to be someone else's walking billboard? its a scam of the highest order lol. Quality & style, personalized is what matters to me.

You are one fcking smart girl! You are exactly like me. This is EXACTLY what I tell people.

It is a matter of general fcking principles for me not to wear anybody's billboard and pay them shytloads for the privilege and prance around like a reetarded mugu thinking that makes me a big boy. I work so hard to avoid buying anything that has some super designer label.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by komek(m): 11:56pm On Jun 25, 2012
If U̶̲̥̅̊ can afford a new wedding gown, go for it but if U̶̲̥̅̊ can't don't kill ursef for it.
My Uncles wife said she needed her own wedding gown and dat she was going τ̅☺ convert it τ̅☺ sometin she can use afterwards. Exactly 2mths after she became §☺
Fat that the gown could nt enter her again, and dat stuff was §☺
Expensive then.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Nobody: 12:42am On Jun 26, 2012
Egba girl: There's definitely no big deal about renting a wedding gown if that's what my finances can afford. (If I did, I'd prolly do a brand new one though). It wouldnt hurt to buy a new one either if it's not too expensive. It all depends on the budget for the wedding but there is no sense in spending a ridiculous amount of money on a dress that will be worn only once.
ur wedding day is ntt just any day ,its n exceptional day,so every thing must be exceptional.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Tinkybabe(f): 1:33am On Jun 26, 2012
I've never quite spared a thought to borrowing a wedding gown.I'm not the extravagant or materialistic type but I would for my 'special' day love to wear my dress.It doesn't have to be the most expensive thing but atleast be good enough and worth something.True,it's going to be worn just once but the memory that's gonna be embedded in it would last a lifetime.That doesn't go to mean that I have a problem with those that would prefer to lease afterall it all boils down to one's financial capability and preference.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by minute(f): 3:03am On Jun 26, 2012
Ever been to a place that rents wedding gowns? The gowns get "pilled" after a couple

of cleaning, not to mention the damage that happens in just the one day of wearing it:

People stepping on the train rip it or soil it; things get spilled on the gown and leave

faint stains; the hemline is impossible to get completely clean; visible snags get left

behind from her bouquet, diamond ring,or the guests wearing beaded gowns.

Gowns need altering 99% of the time to fit right, rental shops do not let you do any

altering, so half way down the aisle,the 5"2" bride trips on the hemline when it comes

unraveled that it's temporary hem. And heaven forbid there's a damage,it's going to be way

more expensive than buying in the lung run.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Nobody: 3:44am On Jun 26, 2012
Well, it depends on individual capability. If i can afford it, i'll rather buy than lease. I can be very economical but, certainly not on things that are quite exceptional. That special day is one that it's memory is goin na linger for a life time; buying a wedding gown for that very special day of my life isn't a bad idea atall.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by KINGwax(m): 3:53am On Jun 26, 2012
JeSoul: Personally, I wouldn't. Solely because of the 'mental' factor, I wouldn't like to wear something someone else already wore - just my personal thing, it holds sentimental value though I may not wear it again (we're playing with the idea of a 10yr anniv renewal wearing the same dress/suit smiley).

I do agree on not blowing so much money on an item you'll only use once, very reasonable approach. Women should know that with a little shopping around, and taking their focus of "designer labels" you can find gorgeous dresses at prices that won't break the bank.
you go wan try wear am go heaven now! Such thinking irks me! What 'mental factor'? People and unnecessary attachments is jes a world of snubs and classes. The worst part, it doesn't matter in heaven
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by apoti(m): 5:12am On Jun 26, 2012
chaircover: I am not advertising ooooooooo embarassed

But we currently have a special offer on at the moment and all our brand new bridal gowns are N15K or N25k all UK Imports at our Ibadan outlet.

Please how can I get in touch with you? a number or email would do, thanks
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by shilling(f): 6:07am On Jun 26, 2012
Coming from someone who thrifts regularly, and who didn't attend her high school prom cos I didn't want to pay for the dress, I'm buying my wedding gown.

It's one of the most important days of my life, and I can always pass it on to another bride later.
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by MrsM: 6:26am On Jun 26, 2012
JeSoul: (we're playing with the idea of a 10yr anniv renewal wearing the same dress/suit smiley).

First off,good luck! It'll take a lot of discipline and Gods grace for you not to add some weight after you get married,especially the woman. I'm one of those people who NEVER thought i'll add weight. Lepa for life. wink But lo and behold 2 years after the wedding i tried to wear my dress....i burst out crying at the end of the 'trial'! lol.

I bought mine when i got married 4 years ago. ONe other bride has used it since then. AT the moment i only use it for photoshoots as i'm a makeup artist. I must admit that renting a dress didnt even cross my mind at the time...but i think i probably would have.

Someone else on here said your daughter and granddaughter can wear your dress afterwards. Bull! I wouldnt have worn my mum's dress for a million dollars. With the fluffy shoulder and high neck! Im sure by the time my granddaughter comes my dress will be old school too. 'sigh'. Anyway i'm one of the lucky ones. At least my dress is not stashed somewhere at the back of the closet. grin
Re: Wedding Gowns: To Buy Or To Lease? by Nobody: 7:23am On Jun 26, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

15 Best Ankara Dress Styles 2016 In Photos / Ini Edo On The Cover Of Fashion & Lifestyle Magazine / Nigerian Tailors And Their Wahala!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.