Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,309 members, 7,867,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 02:20 AM

Android, Anyone? Part II - Phones (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android, Anyone? Part II (978147 Views)

Where Can I Get The Oneplus One Android. Anyone? / Icmp Isssh Android Anyone droid vpn + bis? / Android, Anyone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (601) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by texazzpete(m): 9:44am On Oct 30, 2012
4llerbuntu:

i bolded some of the features in 4.2 because THOSE ARE THE THINGS M$ IS UNVEILING AS THEIR KILLER FEATURES RIGHT NOW FOR WP8.

now just wait for some cats to start threads telling us how WP8 has these features better than Android grin grin grin grin

Multiple User profiles is for android tablets only. Microsoft still remains the only one that supports this on phones cheesy
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:06am On Oct 30, 2012
texazzpete:

Of the following, which are 2010 phones
1. Desire HD
2. Atrix
3. Galaxy S II
4. Galaxy Note
5. HTC Rezound

I'm willing to bet none of these devices will see Android 4.2.

yimu.

do I look like HTC or Samsung representative?

actually any that gets jellybean will get 4.2. its an incremental update. duh!!
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ridlaw(m): 12:18pm On Oct 30, 2012
mufasa:

You wanna set up an ad hoc connection with your SG3. What are you trying to achieve.
Do you wanna share your laptop's Internet with your phone or vice versa?

How do I share my laptop internet with my samsung galaxy s3?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ciphoenix: 1:21pm On Oct 30, 2012
user32: @ciphoenix
u dey sell the lapi wey dey 4 ur signature
lol. You wan buy? cheesy
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ciphoenix: 1:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
texazzpete:

How will you understand when you're a muppet? grin

Apps are becoming way bigger in size.
Imagine if you have the following games installed on your phone

1. Modern Combat 3 - 1.3 Gb
2. Fifa 13 - 1.2 Gb
3. Modern Combat 4 - 1.3 Gb
4. Nova 3 - 1.2 GB
5. Grand Theft Auto: vice City - 1 Gb
6. max Payne - 1Gb

That's already more than 7GB. Then throw in your music library of 3GB. That moves it to 10Gb, already above the 8GB storage limit of the $299 version.

Then throw in your movies. On a 720p HD screen, do you really want to run 320x 480 crappy .3Gp files? no! People will load a few TV series and several favorite movies...and lots of music videos. One 720p episode of Game of Thrones can ring in at 500MB.

The we now need to talk about apps...and the space the OS will take. You will run out of space fairly quickly!
Phones are media consumption devices, not just to make calls these days. Did you miss that memo?

Of the following, which are 2010 phones
1. Desire HD
2. Atrix
3. Galaxy S II
4. Galaxy Note
5. HTC Rezound

I'm willing to bet none of these devices will see Android 4.2

quite bold of you. The galaxy note has 4.1 already though
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by mufasa(m): 1:37pm On Oct 30, 2012
texazzpete:

Phones are media consumption devices, not just to make calls these days. Did you miss that memo?

Granted you can use your phone to control a Mars rover if you desire. Battery hasn't improved much.

I can't run any ishhh on my phone at the expense of battery.

The only app i can't do without is my navigon. I don't need 32gigs for that.

Imagine a whole season of Feyikogbon on a phone lol. Anyways each to his own.

I always get the smallest size device when upgrading.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by mufasa(m): 2:10pm On Oct 30, 2012
ridlaw:

I'm not sure about the settings on a windows based pc, I use OSX and it's pretty straight forward.

But I think you will have to set up an ad hoc wifi network from the laptop to share your "wired" Internet connection.

http://m.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-share-an-internet-connection-in-windows-7.html
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by nazzyon(m): 3:14pm On Oct 30, 2012
mufasa:

I'm not sure about the settings on a windows based pc, I use OSX and it's pretty straight forward.

But I think you will have to set up an ad hoc wifi network from the laptop to share your "wired" Internet connection.

http://m.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-share-an-internet-connection-in-windows-7.html

If the instruction above is too technical for you.. try this:

Download Virtual Router http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/downloads/get/93540

Install

Launch

Remember to password your Hotspot....
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ridlaw(m): 4:39pm On Oct 30, 2012
mufasa:

The thing is after setting up the sharing shi , my samsung galaxy s3 n PSP didn't seem to see the network but another laptop was able to see the shared network and connected through it.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by texazzpete(m): 5:29pm On Oct 30, 2012
4llerbuntu:

yimu.

do I look like HTC or Samsung representative?

actually any that gets jellybean will get 4.2. its an incremental update. duh!!

it's a bit more improved than your usual variety 'incremental update' from Google. I suspect they will go easy on the updated naming because of the backlash that would be sure to follow. With less than 5% of devices on JB, releasing Key lime Pie would be a very contentious move.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by BlackBaron: 6:48pm On Oct 30, 2012
texazzpete:

How will you understand when you're a muppet? grin

Apps are becoming way bigger in size.
Imagine if you have the following games installed on your phone

1. Modern Combat 3 - 1.3 Gb
2. Fifa 13 - 1.2 Gb
3. Modern Combat 4 - 1.3 Gb
4. Nova 3 - 1.2 GB
5. Grand Theft Auto: vice City - 1 Gb
6. max Payne - 1Gb

That's already more than 7GB. Then throw in your music library of 3GB. That moves it to 10Gb, already above the 8GB storage limit of the $299 version.

Then throw in your movies. On a 720p HD screen, do you really want to run 320x 480 crappy .3Gp files? no! People will load a few TV series and several favorite movies...and lots of music videos. One 720p episode of Game of Thrones can ring in at 500MB.

The we now need to talk about apps...and the space the OS will take. You will run out of space fairly quickly!

Ring that in his ears!
I got on board different sat nav apps, HD movies, emulators,recordings,pictures, videos, documents and all.

At 32GB+16GB, I'm still forced to delete some and upload others to my dropbox account cos my phone is now bursting at the seams.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by francis247(m): 7:44pm On Oct 30, 2012
ridlaw:

How do I share my laptop internet with my
samsung galaxy s3?
Download Connectify. it's simple and sure.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Nobody: 10:09pm On Oct 30, 2012
ridlaw:

The thing is after setting up the sharing shi , my samsung galaxy s3 n PSP didn't seem to see the network but another laptop was able to see the shared network and connected through it.

Dude.... ad-hoc is for computer to computer, type "connectify me download" on google n check it out, it wud make hotspoting/giving internet connection to ur devices easier.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by moonraker(m): 7:52am On Oct 31, 2012
ciphoenix:

quite bold of you. The galaxy note has 4.1 already though

Wrong!!! There is no official update for jellybean. Except your

running custom 4.1...
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ciphoenix: 8:07am On Oct 31, 2012
moonraker:

Wrong!!! There is no official update for jellybean. Except your

running custom 4.1...
custom or not. Its still JB
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:59am On Oct 31, 2012
Just occurred to me:

will LG bring in the Nexus 4 to us in nigeria at sane prices? $300 dollars is about 50K.

LG already has strong presence in nigeria!! i sure hope they do
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by lynxnoon(m): 11:51am On Oct 31, 2012
4llerbuntu: Just occurred to me:

will LG bring in the Nexus 4 to us in nigeria at sane prices? $300 dollars is about 50K.

LG already has strong presence in nigeria!! i sure hope they do
For where?!!
they know pple will still go for it even if they hike the price; as long as dey slap some stupid warranty stuff on it grin angry
just saying . . .
tho wont mind if it comes at that price sha tongue grin
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by notindome(m): 12:56pm On Oct 31, 2012
Thanks
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:37pm On Oct 31, 2012
notindome: hello fandroids,
i am new to android phone,just got a samsung galaxy y pro duos.i have gone tru some pages but honestly i get confused at some point(moved from a regular phone to android). Pls anybody who can et me know d best ways i can enjoy my phone with regards to emails(yahoo,gmail and outlook exchange),IM's(whatsapp solves this i guess?oda ways are welcomed),creating wifi hotspot with d phone,online streaming and downloads,and security(privacy locks and virus protection if any).
Pls wat is rooting,bricked. Saw a lot mentioned but dont understand. Thanks

like u know there is an invention called google. u use your browser to go to www.google.com

its the first port of call nowadays when looking for info. u can actually ask google questions. like what is rooting? how to setup hotspot on android, what is bricking android, how to setup email on android etc etc etc.

i believe thats what most people do. google does it for free withou getting tired or complaining. its when they dont get answers or dont understand properly that they then ask other people on forums.

because u see other people on forums also have things to do and dont appreciate having to teach people how to wipe their arses after shatting

so why not try asking google.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by notindome(m): 3:29pm On Oct 31, 2012
4llerbuntu:

pls house anybody wit any addition(personal usage experience) pls assist me. Thanks anyway i appreciate@4llerbuntu
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by blackweaver(m): 10:55pm On Oct 31, 2012
notindome:
wouldnt it hav been beta if u left it at d google advice,dan speaking for odas wit d wipe-arses-shatting stuff?pls house anybody wit any addition(personal usage experience) pls assist me. Thanks anyway i appreciate@4llerbuntu

well it's a whole lot of stuff you're asking, why not continue using your phone, when you come to a particular issue or hiccup the you can ask about that
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by blackweaver(m): 10:59pm On Oct 31, 2012
texazzpete:

Multiple User profiles is for android tablets only. Microsoft still remains the only one that supports this on phones cheesy

just thought about your post and i realised that much as it would be nice to have this feature i wouldn't want to share my phone with anyone so i think i understand why it's not supported on phones (if it's truly not supported on phones)
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by texazzpete(m): 12:11am On Nov 01, 2012
blackweaver:

just thought about your post and i realised that much as it would be nice to have this feature i wouldn't want to share my phone with anyone so i think i understand why it's not supported on phones (if it's truly not supported on phones)

It's much more useful on tablets, true...but for those with kids, this could be nice.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:39am On Nov 01, 2012
multiple profiles could also be nice for handing over your phones to all those "pls let me take a look at you phone" folks.

but in that case it has to be easily switchable in a gesture or two. i say this because for example i no longer have games on my phones.
im tired of people who take my phone and 2 minutes later PES 2012 or temple run is ongoing grin grin grin grin even worse, some refuse to give it back, esp girls wink wink

its also neater than having to lock your messages/email/im apps etc.

but truly its not that much of a big deal for phones sha
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by texazzpete(m): 8:04am On Nov 01, 2012
4llerbuntu: multiple profiles could also be nice for handing over your phones to all those "pls let me take a look at you phone" folks.

but in that case it has to be easily switchable in a gesture or two. i say this because for example i no longer have games on my phones.
im tired of people who take my phone and 2 minutes later PES 2012 or temple run is ongoing grin grin grin grin even worse, some refuse to give it back, esp girls wink wink

its also neater than having to lock your messages/email/im apps etc.

but truly its not that much of a big deal for phones sha

Actually, it is. Multiple profiles is a very highly requested feature.

Microsoft's implementation will probably see them selling a tidy amount of Wp8 devices on the strength of their 'kids Corner'.
If you have kids, you'll soon realize how convenient it is to give your kid your phone to play Angry Birds or 'Where's my Water' to keep them quiet.

My baby is 23 months old and EXTREMELY hyperactive. Giving her my ipad to use photobooth and to swipe at Fruit Ninja guarantees me at least 30 minutes of peace with my laptop without having to ward against her stealthily creeping towards my laptop metal Gear style to hammer at the keyboard grin
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:27am On Nov 01, 2012
thats true sha.

but who has the patents on that thing? saw some arguments on it being patented and therefor google cannot put it on phones.

anyway, im sure CM got it covered sha.

but its pretty weird how CM kinda like does better firmware than all the big OEMS. its just a few guys and they do better than the big companies with big products
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by ciphoenix: 8:56am On Nov 01, 2012
4llerbuntu: thats true sha.

but who has the patents on that thing? saw some arguments on it being patented and therefor google cannot put it on phones.

anyway, im sure CM got it covered sha.

but its pretty weird how CM kinda like does better firmware than all the big OEMS. its just a few guys and they do better than the big companies with big products
heard the patent is owned by Nokia
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:01pm On Nov 01, 2012
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Jethrovich(m): 3:31pm On Nov 01, 2012
guys, I just bought a 32gig mem card. I tried to transfer the files from the old one to the new, but it doesn't go through.

please, what's the proper way of doing so?
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 01, 2012
ridlaw:

go and download virtual router. After download and installing make sure you password the wireless network. That's all.
Re: Android, Anyone? Part II by puskin: 4:46pm On Nov 01, 2012
I just have to follow CM10 updates . Don't U just love CyanogenMod cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (601) (Reply)

Infinix Hot Note X551 – Jim’s BIG Thing / How To Register A New 2go Account On 2go Chat Messenger / Blackberry 10 Devices Home: Z10, Q10 Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.