Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,602 members, 7,816,497 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

Bride Price Wahala! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bride Price Wahala! (12654 Views)

7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. / How expensive is the bride price for ladies from Delta state / Girls Who Cohabited In The University Do Not Deserve Bride Price!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jul 01, 2012
Naijaklef, uq advice is d best. If she love her fiance dats d option she shld take, coz wen she's pregnt, her pipo wil b d one 2pay him bride price.
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by DisGuy: 5:47pm On Jul 01, 2012
carry cab/taxi enter registry.sign and snap picture on you nokia phone Viola

you are legally married! your hungry relatives can wait for their moment forever whilst you get down to business in town grin

1 Like

Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 01, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Where is the damn list ? angry
If you see that list, you will be upset. I pitied my bra inlaw, when he came for my sisters hand....he spent all his life savings and the youth of the community still picked a fight to drain him all. I was too young then i would have boxed them. Most of our boys elope to other states when ready to marry cos of expensive marriage rites, you need to see how our pretty town girls are searching for "any husbands" now. Its a general problem in the SE/SS ....
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by oneuniquemind(m): 5:56pm On Jul 01, 2012
This is ridiculous.u beta talk to ur parent nd let dm realise dt u'r nt gettin younger.make u no go use husband do boifrnd

1 Like

Re: Bride Price Wahala! by lumideezle(m): 6:01pm On Jul 01, 2012
aze: Just be patient with your family and let your man come with the cash, or else let the highest bidder with deep pockets come into the picture.

For me better you keep your traditions alive than giving in to a guy without respect to your culture as it pertains to marriage. Haba, your parents knows better. Remember how you do your things, down east. If it means being the 3rd wife to a man that fulfils your parents wishes, better do it.

"Obey your parents that your days maybe prolonged on earth"

OMG shocked I dint know there were still people dis stupiid on this earth

3 Likes

Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Dranatomy: 6:08pm On Jul 01, 2012
Its not a must dat Paying for bride price should be done in one day- All the same, ur family and the ur fiance have to negotiate...No big deal there- If u had money, it wud have make sense for u to support him since he is ur HUSBAND TO BE AND NOT ENEMY!
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by championeh(m): 6:13pm On Jul 01, 2012
Check this bride list here, What can you say about it? Payable?

Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 01, 2012
GET PREGNANT FOR YOUR FIANCEE, NA DEM GO COME BEG UR FIANCE MAKE HIM COME PAY ANYTHING WEY HIM GET.
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by otokx(m): 6:24pm On Jul 01, 2012
God forbid, that marriage list is very discomfiting, what is this world coming to?
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by maimoha: 6:31pm On Jul 01, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]
DECOtech: My dear, if u won't mind oh. My candid opinion is that u get pregnant for ur fiancee. Thats if u can shoulder family/church/societal bruhaha.
(My people took only 6k on a pregnant cousin's head after unleashing generational abuses on her)
DECOtech: My dear, if u won't mind oh. My candid opinion is that u get pregnant for ur fiancee. Thats if u can shoulder family/church/societal bruhaha.
(My people took only 6k on a pregnant cousin's head after unleashing generational abuses on her)
go on
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by juman(m): 6:35pm On Jul 01, 2012
The boyfriend should look for someone else to marry.

Why are they making outrageous demand while they know your boyfriend financial status? Wicked parents!
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by dasparrow: 6:52pm On Jul 01, 2012
angiemartinez: my dear if dey dnt want 2 listen, get pregnant n movE in wit ur man. Afta 3 kidS dem go cum day beg u make e bring anytn.

Bad advice, very bad advice. Not only is what you are suggesting against biblical standards but also one must consider whether she and her fiance have enough money to start a family. Children are not puppies you just acquire. They cost money, lots of money unless you want her to raise kids in abject poverty like most Nigerians and indeed Africans living in Africa do.

temmytanny:
Since i have been reading your posts,you have never said anything meaningful in your life. You lack manners and i doubt if you were ever brought up from a good HOME.

Bros, cool down. She was only being sarcastic. Could you not detect that? How can you draw a negative conclusion about a stranger in cyberspace whom you have never met in real life before? For your info, the lady is happily married with beautiful children. Obviously, if she was not brought up in a good home, she would have turned out to be the female version of an agbero, not so?
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by asudan: 6:53pm On Jul 01, 2012
My advice is that discuss it your mother privately n try to explain things to her.It is not a must that your other relatives must attend by doing so,they wouldn't dictate to ur father on what to do(as in most cases they tend to put pressure on them(parents)).If your parents still insist on their demand,you can proceed to court for marriage n save urself d problem of incuring huge expenses.
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by supereagle(m): 6:59pm On Jul 01, 2012
Toktee: Girl,be very careful,girls are more than men,talk to your dad to understand all these and abadon his greedy agenda
The problem is not with the father only. Generally , in Igbo land , when marriage is abt to be contracted , everybody that did not contribute a kobo to your training will bring his list , the hands of the parents may be tied because they av been eating from others. Young boys in the family will bring theirs , the wives , elders , the Eze will get his own etc. At old age when the woman departs to the land beyond , before the burial , the family of the parents will still bring another list before their daughter can be buried which must include a big cow.
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jul 01, 2012
If after pleading to them,they remain adamant,pls go for court wedding.with that u and ur husband are protected from family harassment.invite a pastor to bless u.if u carry on,ur parents would succumb.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price Wahala! by omosexy1: 7:00pm On Jul 01, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:
@OP The whole idea behind the bride price is not just so you can "PAY" for the daughter , that's a misconception rather the family of the bride(your family)want to know just how much financial security the groom can provide for his bride(you)and the family they are about to start . I am one of those against marrying someone just because you love him or her . Don't get me wrong LOVE is very very important in a marriage or union but MONEY also plays a very important role in marriage and if money is managed properly it can actually make the Love in a Marriage stronger . I am sure your people can be more reasonable and reach a compromise with the groom and his "entourage" grin grin grin or family members and then you guys can have your marriage and live happily ever after . Your family members probably know that love alone cannot pay for the house rent , Nepa Bill , Children diaper and feeding , school fees...the list goes on , They are trying to do whats best for you and if your fiance really loves you he would do the best he can while at the same time try to reason with your people , maybe his mom can become your mom's friend and she could explain things better etc. Contrary to what most people would say here your family aren't being selfish they just want to see how much financial security your bobo can provide for you and how much he loves you . In Igbo land our daughters are our most valued treasures.

Thia comment is lame. Financial security indeed. Are they keeping the money in the bank or they rather want to enjoy themselves at the expense of another man's sweat. You expect a young graduate who has 2-3 years working experience and saving up to cough out so much money for traditional marriage and not even white wedding. This country where there is poverty. What is wrong with some Nigerians?

1 Like

Re: Bride Price Wahala! by tunapawizzy: 7:02pm On Jul 01, 2012
@poster d only way out is incest. Ur dad should marry u n pay ur dowry. Otherwise I can link u up with steady customers every night. Dt way ur dad will make so much on u in a short while. Tell ur dad I said e shld bring his other daughters too. Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 01, 2012
D problem is d father and d girl.it also depends on christian denomination.among Jehovah witnesses any burial or wedding tradition that is unloving and unkind are not reckon with.
supereagle: The problem is not with the father only. Generally , in Igbo land , when marriage is abt to be contracted , everybody that did not contribute a kobo to your training will bring his list , the hands of the parents may be tied because they av been eating from others. Young boys in the family will bring theirs , the wives , elders , the Eze will get his own etc. At old age when the woman departs to the land beyond , before the burial , the family of the parents will still bring another list before their daughter can be buried which must include a big cow.
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by tunapawizzy: 7:11pm On Jul 01, 2012
@op alternatively get pregnant for ur guy...ur dad being all about money n material gain will not be ready to cater for u and ur pikin..in d end he will av d beg ur man make e just drop something carry him load @ all @ all na im bad..d guy go just find papa something..off u go
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 01, 2012
Thank u.he is just vomiting sitz.i now know d reason behind criminal activity in d east.
omosexy1:

Thia comment is lame. Financial security indeed. Are they keeping the money in the bank or they rather want to enjoy themselves at the expense of another man's sweat. You expect a young graduate who has 2-3 years working experience and saving up to cough out so much money for traditional marriage and not even white wedding. This country where there is poverty. What is wrong with some Nigerians?
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 01, 2012
Pls do not get pregnant.if d girl died u have to marry d dead and pay heavy bride price before u can bury her.
tunapawizzy: @op alternatively get pregnant for ur guy...ur dad being all about money n material gain will not be ready to cater for u and ur pikin..in d end he will av d beg ur man make e just drop something carry him load @ all @ all na im bad..d guy go just find papa something..off u go
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Ndkings1(m): 7:24pm On Jul 01, 2012
Plis, dnt mind dat ashawo dat is advicing u to stat slipin wit men to rez d moni.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jul 01, 2012
I think this is a personal issue. Not all people from the east demand excessive money for their daughter's hand in marriage.
Let your father see reason that marriage is for ever. There is no way you can separate yourself from the lady's family after marriage. you still give them one support or the other. so they shouldn't see it as a one off payment but an avenue to bring two families together.
She needs to talk to her parents really well before she grows old and start to disturb God with all night vigil for a husband.
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by hardasan(f): 7:45pm On Jul 01, 2012
I dont really believe dat ur parents mean any harm, it may be a test u know? But if dey really insist, simply go 4 white weddin
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Ozegbe(m): 8:07pm On Jul 01, 2012
GET PREGNANT AND SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by IRAPADA(m): 8:51pm On Jul 01, 2012
1. One She Goat
2. One bottle of St. Remy
3. Two Carton of Star Beer
4. Two crates of soft drinks
5. One bottle of native gin
6. Two Bottles of wine
7. N10,000.00
Consultation marriage
list for the father
(MBUP)
1. 2 bottles of three in one
whisky
2. 1 carton of Explendido
Brandy
3. 10 litres of native gin
4. 10 cartons of star beer
5. 6 bottles of Gordon Gin
6. 3 cartons of small stout
7. 1 carton of wine
8. 10 Jars of palm wine
9. 3 Heads of Tobacco
10. 3 line stones
11. 3 bunches of cola nuts
12. 1 bottle of grinding sniff
13. 1 roll of Benson and
hedges cigarettes
14. 1 packet of matches
15. cash of N5,000.00 for
breaking of cola
Full Proper Marriage List
for the father
1. 2 pieces of hollandis Wax
2. 1 Chieftaincy shirt
3. 1 hat
4. 1 big towel
5. 1 pair of shoes and socks
6. 1 walking stick
7. 1 wrist watch
8. 1 dozen underwear
9. 1 she goat with N10,000
for cutting goats head
10. Matchet with cover and
beet
11. 15 cartons of star beer
12. 5 cartons of champion
beer
13. 2 cartons of brandy
14. 3 bottles of 3 in one
whisky
15. 1 caron of wine (Don
Morris)
16. 5 crates of minerals (Soft
drinks)
17. 4 crates of Guinness malt
18. 4 heads of Tobacco
19. 1 bottle of grinding snuff
20. 4 line stones
21. 4 bunches of cola nuts
22. 1 smal basin and knife for
the cola nuts
23. 15 Jars of palm win
24. 20 liters of native gin
25. 1 modern brief case with
N150,000
For the mother �
consultation (MBUP)
1. 6 bottles of campari
2. 4 crates of minerals (soft
drinks)
3. 2 crates of Guinness Malts
4. I piece of English wax
5. 1 blouse
6. 1 basin with cover full of
crayfish
7. 1 Head tie
8. 2 bags of salt
9. basin with pepper
For the Mother � Full
marriage (proper
marriage)
1. 2 pieces of Dutch Wax and
one lase
2. 3 assorted blouses
3. head tie (canopy)
4. 2 Paris of shoes
5. one wrist watch + 1 dozen
of brassiers
6. 1 hand bag and 6
underwear
7. 1 big basin full of crayfish
with cover
8. 1 big basin full of pepper
with cover
9. 3 bags of salt
10. 1 umbrella
11. 1 suit �case with N50,000
12. 1 caton of Eva wine
13. 1 big bottle of Yago wine
14. 4 crates of Guinness malt
15. 4 crates of minerals (soft
ddrinks)
16. 1 bag of rice
17. 5 tubers of yams
Nto Ete (family
members)
1. 3 cartons of star beer
2. 1 bottles of St. Remy
3. 3 Jars of palm wine
4. 1 roll of besson and
hedges cigarette
5. 1 packets of matches
6. Nka Ekong of N10,000
Youth
1. Football
2. 1 bottle of gin
3. 1 roll of St. Morris
cigarette
4. 1 packet of matches
5. N2,000
Iban Nda Usung (Women
Vanguard)
1. 1 bottle of wine
2. 1 crates of minerals (soft
drink)
3. N1,500 in cash
Grand Father (Uncle)
1. piece of wax loin cloth
2. 1 long sleaves shirt
3. 1 bottle of brandy
4. 1 wrist watch.
EDem Eka
1. 1 carton of beer
2. 1 bottle of brandy
3. 1 Jar of palm wine
4. 1 piece of English wax
5. 1 long sleaves shirt
6. 1 bag of salt
also to be include 10blackberry for the brothers and sisters

1 Like

Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 01, 2012
Billyonaire: If you see that list, you will be upset. I pitied my bra inlaw, when he came for my sisters hand....he spent all his life savings and the youth of the community still picked a fight to drain him all. I was too young then i would have boxed them. Most of our boys elope to other states when ready to marry cos of expensive marriage rites, you need to see how our pretty town girls are searching for "any husbands" now. Its a general problem in the SE/SS ....

Why should they still be searching when we have lots of millionaires in the SE? Abi is it thousandaires?
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by jayjam(m): 9:22pm On Jul 01, 2012
[quote author=Lexo22]Pls my friend Ngozi from Ngodo Isochi, Abia State needs your advice on this matter..

I am a girl of 28 years old and my people are demanding a lot from my fiancé for our traditional marriage. I have tried talking to them but they won’t succumb. The list is endless although it’s our tradition. My fiancé and I whom were supposed to be getting married by August but my fiance is shifting the wedding to next year as he does not have the money to buy those things and I don’t have either to support him as I just finished my NYSC and still looking for a job. Now My fear is that if he doesn’t have the money by next year and I don’t get a job, the marriage will still be shifted. I need your advice on this please on what to do. Thank you in anticipation for your candid advice!its very simple,order ur family to lower their demands or u remain a spinster
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 01, 2012
No wonder why these girls are marrying football players and celebrities shocked

See list!!

Omo that one na suicide letter.
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by Connoisseur(m): 9:23pm On Jul 01, 2012
It's a very simple thing: get pregnant and wait 3 months before you let ur family know. The rest will be history
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by jayjam(m): 9:24pm On Jul 01, 2012
Tel them to lower their demands or u shal remain a spinster for life
Re: Bride Price Wahala! by member479760: 9:31pm On Jul 01, 2012
Park your load go your husband house simple nothing your parent will do.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

In One Word Describe The Relationship With Your Dad / Help!!! My Wife Is Ruining Our Marriage / Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.