Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,948 members, 7,814,218 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare (5311 Views)

America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal / Obamacare Mandatory RFID Chipping Now Being Implemented In Wyoming / Obamacare Mandates RFID Chips To Be Implanted In All Americans By Mrch 23rd 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jun 28, 2012
In a victory for President Obama, the Supreme Court decided to uphold his signature health care law's individual mandate in a split decision, upending speculation after hostile-seeming oral arguments in March that the justices would overturn the law. The mandate has been upheld as a tax, according to SCOTUSblog, with Chief Justice John Roberts joining the liberal wing of the court.

Twenty six states sued over the law, arguing that the individual mandate, which requires people to buy health insurance or face a fine starting in 2014, was unconstitutional. Opponents cast the individual mandate as the government forcing Americans to enter a market and buy a product against their will, while the government countered that the law was actually only regulating a market that everyone is already in, since almost everyone will seek health care at some point in his or her life.

Before oral arguments in March, polls of Supreme Court experts and scholars showed that most believed the mandate would be upheld as an exercise of Congress' power to regulate interstate commerce. But after justices seemed deeply skeptical of the mandate in oral arguments in March, the consensus flipped, with most experts guessing the court would strike down the law.

House Republicans have vowed to repeal the entire law, though it's unlikely the Democratic-controlled Senate would let that happen.

Though the sweeping, 1,000-page plus law passed more than two years ago, much of it will not go into effect until 2014. That's when states will have to set up their own health insurance exchanges, Medicaid will be expanded by 16 million low-income people, and Americans will have to buy health insurance (for many, with a government subsidy) or pay a penalty of 1 percent of their income to the IRS. Employers who have more than 50 employees and don't offer insurance will also begin to face a penalty. Insurers will no longer be able to turn away people with preexisting conditions, or charge people higher premiums based on their gender or health.

Only about 6 percent of the population will actually be required to buy health insurance or face a tax under the mandate, since most people already have coverage or will get it through Medicare, according to the Urban Institute.

Many of the more popular provisions of the law have already gone into effect, including a regulation saying insurers have to let children stay on their parents' plans until they are 26 years old, which 2.5 million Americans have already taken advantage of. Insurers can also no longer turn away children with preexisting conditions, and sick uninsured people can buy coverage in high-risk pools set up by the government.

Source:http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/supreme-court-upholds-obamacare-individual-mandate-tax/story?id=16669186#.T-x0gWOa-j4

1 Like

Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by Moderrator: 4:37pm On Jun 28, 2012
Twitter was awash yester night
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 28, 2012
Moderrator: Twitter was awash yester night
Twitter went down bcause of this, Another score to Obamacare...
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by sammirano: 4:44pm On Jun 28, 2012
wetin come concern Nigeria there.
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by teetee1: 4:55pm On Jun 28, 2012
sammirano: wetin come concern Nigeria there.

ask me o. Naija sabi drink panadol for another person headache. We don sweep the FaCROOK vs OteDOLLAR issue for NA under carpet, na US matter we dey deliberate now... CLUELESS NAIJANS!!!

1 Like

Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by ril19(m): 4:57pm On Jun 28, 2012
i know what many pigs out there would start thinking. And where they would also start pointing their fingers at.
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by ril19(m): 4:59pm On Jun 28, 2012
i mean via obama's victory at the court and the purported ulterior essence of the obama health care bill.
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jun 28, 2012
teetee1:

ask me o. Naija sabi drink panadol for another person headache. We don sweep the FaCROOK vs OteDOLLAR issue for NA under carpet, na US matter we dey deliberate now... CLUELESS NAIJANS!!!
Its internet age, there are no boundaries to information highway...get on twitter and make your voice heard,
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by fenandopo: 5:04pm On Jun 28, 2012

u no see say them want create universal health care in America? why not in Naija? you see how e concern us? no wonder our leaders go there when them catch cold
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 28, 2012
House Speaker John Boehner issued a statement saying, "The president’s health care law is hurting our economy by driving up health costs and making it harder for small businesses to hire. Today’s ruling underscores the urgency of repealing this harmful law in its entirety. What Americans want is a common-sense, step-by-step approach to health care reform that will protect Americans’ access to the care they need, from the doctor they choose, at a lower cost. Republicans stand ready to work with a president who will listen to the people and will not repeat the mistakes that gave our country ObamaCare."

The House will vote again to repeal the law after it returns from July 4 recess, Politico reports. On CNN, Michele Bachmann remarkably states the obvious: "But that will be for show only."

House Minority Leader[b] Nancy Pelosi[/b] tweets, "Victory for the American people! Millions of American families and children will have certainty of health care benefits + affordable care." Roll Call's Daniel Newhauser says that while on an elevator ride with Pelosi, "She said she's not surprised by the ruling, but expected more of Kennedy."

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said, "Our Supreme Court has spoken, and now it's settled," on the Senate floor, according to the Washington Examiner.

Karl Rove called the ruling a "boost for the president" on Fox News, but said it won't "make the controversy go away. "In fact, it probably enhances the controversy, because like so many other things connected with this act, the premises on which it was sold -- this is not a tax, you can keep your plan if you want it, it'll reduce the deficit -- all these things turned out to be not true."

And on cue, Andrea Saul, spokeswoman for Mitt Romney, tweets, "Over $100k already raised online for @MittRomney for FullRepeal." By 11:30a.m., about an hour after the ruling was handed down, the number had risen to $300,000. grin grin

Sen. Rand Paul was one of the few elected officials to explicitly say he thought the court decided incorrectly. He issued a statement saying, "Just because a couple people on the Supreme Court declare something to be 'constitutional' does not make it so. The whole thing remains unconstitutional. While the court may have erroneously come to the conclusion that the law is allowable, it certainly does nothing to make this mandate or government takeover of our health care right."

Florida Rep. Allen West, an outspoken Tea Partier, said, "This is a sad day for Americans, as they will be taxed to pay for benefits they may not need or want as part of the insurance they are forced to buy. With this decision, Congress has been granted infinite taxation power, and there are no longer any limits on what the federal government can tax its citizens to do."

Executive director of the Democratic National Committee Patrick Gaspard tweets, "It's constitutional. Bitches."
Republican National Committee chair Reince Priebus tweets, "Just elect Romney. We need FullRepeal."

Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jun 28, 2012
We Should be more concerned about the happenings back here home.
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by free2ryhme: 5:21pm On Jun 28, 2012
it started with legalizing homosexuals into the army, next it was legalizing gay marriages now obama care .. Obama seems to be win but this calls for more suspicion than victory ... Obama is winning everything ... Bible prophecies are coming true.. end-time happenings. Also he is a black man for that matter.. This casts much suspicion
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by KayDee4: 5:26pm On Jun 28, 2012
Victory for the democrats. Waiting for the 2nd action film for today - voting on the Eric Holder contempt charge.
Rand Paul says The supreme court decided incorrectly, funny their decision wasn't 'incorrect' when the ruling went their way with the Florida votes and Citizens united.
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 28, 2012
free2ryhme: it started with legalizing homosexuals into the army, next it was legalizing gay marriages now obama care .. Obama seems to be win but this calls for more suspicion than victory ... Obama is winning everything ... Bible prophecies are coming true.. end-time happenings. Also he is a black man for that matter.. This casts much suspicion
_
If I didn't know better I'd say you're blonde. Wait a minute...you're not blonde, are you?
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by armyofone(m): 5:44pm On Jun 28, 2012
if for anything, i had wanted it ruled to favor Obama. Why? the same thing Republicans are rejecting was something Gingerich, Romney himself, Hilary wanted at a certain time in the past.

Yesterday Michele Bachamann was making so much noise on Fox news. I hope she is able to eat lunch and dinner today. tongue
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by opokonwa(m): 5:49pm On Jun 28, 2012
There is this rumor spreading in christian forums that the HealthCare Law is a prelude to the dreaded 666
I have heard it from at least one popular pastor in ABJ that the implementation of the Law entails inserting beneficiaries with micro-chips in their right-hands or foreheads to enable them access the Healthcare benefits.

I have not seen this in bayoooooooo's post. Can someone clarify please
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by Samoo01: 5:57pm On Jun 28, 2012
While the pundits are still in shock and babbling about what just happened at the Supreme Court, we do know this much:

The Supreme Court has just ruled that our government can blatantly lie to us about their ability to tax -- as long as they end up calling it a tax in the end. They can do that with the Court's blessing in fact. Moreover, the government can now tax what we do or do not do as well as income. As Andrew Napolitano said on Fox News, his libertarian fervor barely under control, this is no doubt "the most bizarre tax in history" and allows our government to "tax us not on income, but on behavior."

As Mark Levin reiterated last night on his radio show, ObamaCare "fundamentally changes the relationship between a citizen and his government." Indeed. We cease to be citizens. We become line item expenses.

In a technical sense, this was an initial defeat for ObamaCare and the individual mandate because the government's ability to compel commerce was struck down. That's when John Roberts - ignoring the real lesson of Solomon's' threat to cut the baby in half - rushed in to save the mandate by saying that the government could accomplish the same thing by simply calling this a tax.

In other words, according to Roberts, not only are we line items, we are nothing more than schlubs and Roberts encourages our government to lie to us to make sure we don't get out of control.

In other words, Kathleen Sebelius will need a little more help from the IRS than they had originally thought. Meanwhile, we all just suffered at least a short-term defeat to the very concept of limited government and liberty since Sebelius and the IRS as well as her army of bureaucrats in the Jurassic HHS Department just gained more of a foot hold in our lives.

This will no doubt set up a real showdown between the House and the White House over ObamaCare between now and the election. At this point, how this plays out in a political sense is unknown but there is one thing for sure: the best chance of today's insane ruling working out well in the end is for the GOP members of the House and for Team Romney to come out hard and aggressive.

This ruling is awful. This bill is awful. It will end America as we know it and therefore it must be defeated and soundly. And it will likely be fought on the very nature of what a mandate is.

1 Like

Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jun 28, 2012
Oh Lord... help me deal with these red-eyed republicans who want to bash their heads against the wall this day. grin
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by Delafruita(m): 6:35pm On Jun 28, 2012
opokonwa: There is this rumor spreading in christian forums that the HealthCare Law is a prelude to the dreaded 666
I have heard it from at least one popular pastor in ABJ that the implementation of the Law entails inserting beneficiaries with micro-chips in their right-hands or foreheads to enable them access the Healthcare benefits.

is this like seriously supposed to be a serious post?am giving you the benefit of a doubt because i assume you cant be that dumb.666?do people still believe that bull?that used to be a movie stunt back in the day but now,its just gross.
universal healthcare is something democrats have always wanted.truman's failure to pass it almost ruined his presidency.when carter tried it,his bill didnt even get out of committee.clinton attempted it and was bamboozled by gingrich's "contract with america" which proposed etraordinary cuts in education,veteran's welfare and disability benefit.republicans defend the super-rich,thats why they work against any bill that seeks to uprgrade the bottom 99%.
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by owobokiri(m): 6:53pm On Jun 28, 2012
opokonwa: There is this rumor spreading in christian forums that the HealthCare Law is a prelude to the dreaded 666

At this stage, a mere "clarification" wont help, what you need is to take your skull to a 'panel-beater' for 're-fixing'.
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by Princek12(m): 7:11pm On Jun 28, 2012
teetee1:

As the world leader, a major news from the United States usually makes world news.
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by sammirano: 7:25pm On Jun 28, 2012
don't mind all this stupid U.S issues, Obama knows his second term chance in office is probability so he is trying to attract voters but still he might not win.
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by Delafruita(m): 7:53pm On Jun 28, 2012
sammirano: don't mind all this stupid U.S issues, Obama knows his second term chance in office is probability so he is trying to attract voters but still he might not win.
universal health care isnt a "stupid US issue".its a worldwide issue.americans have for long been deprived of something other developed countries take for granted.why shouldnt a person be eligible for insurance because they have a pre-eisting condition?why shouldnt a child above 16 be a beneficiary of his parent's insurance?why should policy holders be resticted in their choice of a health care practitioner?why should policy holders be given the choice of leaving their jobs so they can get on welfare and be eligible for medicaid simply because theirinsurance doesnt cover some serious ailments?i dont seek to educate you,i just think you shouldnt comment on things you know nothing about.republicans are screaming Oh Hell because there will be a cut in defence budget and the rich will get to pay more taxes.wall street is republican,silicon valley goes republican,the NRA is republican,the tobacco guys(who will have to pay more in taxes) are republicans.i salute obama for pushing this and i hope he gets re-elected.
rather than calling it a "stupid US issue" we should see it as a reason to demand more from our government.universal healthcare is achievable in this country.not just the free medical treatment for under 5 and over 65
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by manny4life(m): 8:02pm On Jun 28, 2012
Moderrator: Twitter was awash yester night

How can Twitter be awash last night when the decision was handed down this morning? shocked shocked shocked

Though I did not support Obama actions on this neither do I support Obamacare, but I wanted him to WIN! YES HE DID!

First it was U.S. vs Arizona, he won 3 out of 4 three days ago, now this is he second major victory. Republicans, show your faces, I can't wait to get home and call my buddies and LAUGH TO THEIR FACES. wink wink wink
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by KayDee4: 8:06pm On Jun 28, 2012
teetee1: ask me o. Naija sabi drink panadol for another person headache. We don sweep the FaCROOK vs OteDOLLAR issue for NA under carpet, na US matter we dey deliberate now... CLUELESS NAIJANS!!!
991: We Should be more concerned about the happenings back here home.

some people here are affected by these laws and decisions.
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by eledalo: 8:21pm On Jun 28, 2012
CLEARLY ACN AND CPC AT WORK AGAIN! BUHARI BRIBED THE US SUPREME COURT AND TINUBU WAS ONE OF THE FIRST MAN TO SUPPORT OBAMACARE IMAGINE ALL THIS JUST TO MAKE GEJ LOOK BAD, ACN CPC TRYING TO DERAIL FRESH AIR GEJ!
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by Delafruita(m): 9:04pm On Jun 28, 2012
eledalo: CLEARLY ACN AND CPC AT WORK AGAIN! BUHARI BRIBED THE US SUPREME COURT AND TINUBU WAS ONE OF THE FIRST MAN TO SUPPORT OBAMACARE IMAGINE ALL THIS JUST TO MAKE GEJ LOOK BAD, ACN CPC TRYING TO DERAIL FRESH AIR GEJ!
is this supposed to mean something?
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by elampiro(m): 9:33pm On Jun 28, 2012
ObamaCare makes it compulsory for all American institutions to carry out abortion and distribute contraceptives. This amongs many other issues have made ObamaCare centre of attention and controversy. Experts of the health care law have identified a clause which will make compulsory the implatantion of the RFID chip in humans. If you study RFID chip, you will discover that it will be fufilling the book of revelation because no one will be able to buy or sell. RFID chip (the microchip) will replace the credit/debit cards and mobile money as we know them today. That's a whole lot of topic. The christian community led by the catholic church have argued that it is tantamount to persecution to make it compulsory for every health worker and institutions to participate in abortion and contraceptive disttribution. US Catholic bishop conference president, Cardinal Dolan of NYC, met Obama early in the year after senate passed voted in favour of the health law. When he returned from the meeting with Obama, he called some church leaders and told them that the church should be ready for persecution. There are lot to this ambigous health care, even the cost of running it is too much.
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by nedostic: 10:16pm On Jun 28, 2012
@elampiro
Your observation about RFID chip and the book of revelation is totally based on hear-say. It is totally uncorrelated with the word of God. I would advise you to personally study the book of revelations before jumping into conclusion.Above all, it would be good we all learn to separate religion from socio-economic and technological issues.
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by adegbitown: 10:35pm On Jun 28, 2012
The end is come...dnt be surprsd.Obama will definitely make it for 2nd term. The prophesy must be fulfild..if u dnt blve dis,u cant blve anytin.
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by elampiro(m): 10:40pm On Jun 28, 2012
@nedostic, Time will tell where these things are leading us. They aren't just socio-economic and technological issues as you see themm. Do you know Obama is the first president to endorse same sex marriage? Do you know he and his law makers passed a bill allowing soldiers to intimate with animals? Do you know he encourages abortion? These things are not ordinary of him, he surely know what he is doing and where he is driving America and the world to.
Re: US Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare by Delafruita(m): 11:40pm On Jun 28, 2012
elampiro: @nedostic, Time will tell where these things are leading us. They aren't just socio-economic and technological issues as you see themm. Do you know Obama is the first president to endorse same sex marriage? Do you know he and his law makers passed a bill allowing soldiers to intimate with animals? Do you know he encourages abortion? These things are not ordinary of him, he surely know what he is doing and where he is driving America and the world to.
he isnt the first president to endorse same se marriage.he's just the first president to publicly declare his support.clinton went to church with gays,appointed gays into his administration and enacted "dont ask dont tell".
people shouldnt just make assumptions.if you knew the way the american system works,you'd realise obama doesnt have any lawmakers.you'd also realise that most bills are usually sponsored by members of congress based on the needs of their constituents.
obama never supported abortion.he only voiced his opinion that mothers should be allowed to choose in cases where the child could put the mother at risk like hydrocephalus.whats so wrong in that?
just so you know,america still remains one of the most conservative nations on earth.so many countries have legalised same sex marriage,many others recognize their unions,even more legalise them in form of civil unions.but in america,supposedly the freest nation on earth,only 4 states allow it

(1) (2) (Reply)

Libyan Rebels Promised France 35% Oil In Exchange For Supporting Them / Is Obama Likely To Win His Relection Bid In The States? / In CANADA : Mother And Son Caught Having Sex By Sister Who Was Visiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.