Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,427 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (441) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1790878 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (438) (439) (440) (441) (442) (443) (444) ... (701) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:08pm On Oct 17, 2015
Stingman:
Spyder Nwoke Ike, God bless you, for all your good works. Please can you send update on what is happening at Network Estate Nike. Many thanks in advance.

Where is it?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 17, 2015
It matters a lot.

asha80:
I dont think being in opposition should be an issue
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 17, 2015
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 7:45pm On Oct 17, 2015
centje:
It matters a lot.

not as much as you think...being in opposition should even spur a governor to work harder to prove to its people or even to the country that their party is better..being in the ruling can at times bring in laxity

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:47pm On Oct 17, 2015
asha80:
not as much as you think...being in opposition should even spur a governor to work harder to prove to its people or even to the country that their party is better..being in the ruling can at times bring in laxity
I agree

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 17, 2015
I quite agree, it can spur hard work for a governor with correct brain cheesy and also sincere. But my point is that there are certain economic benefits states in ruling party would enjoy which those in opposition wouldn't.

asha80:
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 8:15pm On Oct 17, 2015
centje:
I quite agree, it can spur hard work for a governor with correct brain cheesy and also sincere. But my point is that there are certain economic benefits states in ruling party would enjoy which those in opposition wouldn't.

would love to hear those benefits?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 17, 2015
Bro, you write as if you don't know how this politics is played in Nigeria. Let's take investment drive for instance, when President Buhari travels to Canada, will he call Hon. Ifeanyi of Enugu to accompany him...

asha80:
would love to hear those benefits?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 8:39pm On Oct 17, 2015
centje:
Bro, you write as if you don't know how this politics is played in Nigeria. Let's take investment drive for instance, when President Buhari travels to Canada, will he call Hon. Ifeanyi of Enugu to accompany him...

I would like if you outline those economic policies that was done in se states because se was in the ruling party these past yrs..i have my views on such things

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:14pm On Oct 17, 2015
Now am not getting you...benefits aren't the same as policies. I just cited investment drive as an example but you would prefer list. I don't think they are in the majority, those who believe we didn't fare better under GEJ rule compared to past administration. You would argue tribalism played a major role in other administrations, now imagine when it's a northerner and we in opposition.

asha80:
I would like if you outline those economic policies that was done in se states because se was in the ruling party these past yrs..i have my views on such things
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 9:29pm On Oct 17, 2015
centje:

It was Jonathan who used federal might against opposition States like he did to Amaechi. I don't think Buhari can stoop that low. I believe that by allowing Nyesom Wike of Rivers to function without harassment he has shown his difference with Jonathan. He might even be of use to Enugu State more than past PDP central Government.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:25am On Oct 18, 2015
I know say you no like GEJ at all, so even if I write, e no go make sense to you cheesy since you've already made up your mind on him.

Harrassment, you wrote, think of it, while some APC members with corrupt tag on their neck are dinning with senate and president, PDP members are been hunted down and harrassed in the name of fighting corruption. Buhari isnt yet serious about corruption fight. The game is yet to start, when it does, we will know who's playing well or bad.

However, the issue at hand is that opposition states would not enjoy certain economic benefits from the central government. This time, we're not only hated but in Opposition. It's double wahala for dead bodi, and that's the reality in Nigerian politics, I want to point out. Even Buhari himself said it in an interview, in USA:

https://www.nairaland.com/2472916/buhari-not-treat-nigerians-equally/5

So any Governor in Opposition, especially in south east should wear the 5% tag on the neck like a Bulldog, and fight with tenacity. It's not as rosy as before. This the time we need our eastern governors to be much more honest, hardworking and dedicated.

Abagworo:

It was Jonathan who used federal might against opposition States like he did to Amaechi. I don't think Buhari can stoop that low. I believe that by allowing Nyesom Wike of Rivers to function without harassment he has shown his difference with Jonathan. He might even be of use to Enugu State more than past PDP central Government.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by VickJames(m): 9:13am On Oct 18, 2015
Igbos have been in the news this past week for both the good reasons and the bad reasons.

It is unfortunate that the bad reasons are more popular than the good reasons. I am just tired about the way we carry ourselves outside without strong personality inbuilt in us.

I am really disappointed at the way we engage in petty arguments with people who in the next few years will beg to be our friends. We engage in insults, cursing and other low-moral conversation with other tribes.

We should be the ones who will always think and find ways to solve our problems. We all know our history and we know where we come from. We know our genetic makeup. We know what we stand for and we know the direction where we should be headed.

Igbos wants to be in the news. Yes, you can see yourselves in the news. Are you happy now? All the tabloids are carrying you in the news. For what reason? The wrong reasons.

It is your kids that are making you proud while you adults are insulting yourselves online. Take alittle time and think for once who you really are.

Eri who had walked thousand of miles to this very place didn't walk here to argue with people. He walked to settle and make his life worthwhile. But we spend most of our times formenting trouble and looking for collaborators so that we can feel good and nice with ourselves.

Have you taken time and look at our present situation in the east? Have u thought of our present situation in the country? Do you think if you run now, you will get everything? Why run like cowards when you can fight like men? Why fight like unintelligent men you can fight intelligently. Why dominate in crude ways when you can dominate totally?

The way we are going, even the silliest countries will not recognise us because with the high amount of intelligence, we still take stupid actions. We always act with impulse. We act as if something is really biting us inside.

We have job to do in the east. Look at your brother's face and see who you really care about. Not more than the next 70years, you all will probably die and leave this world for your kids. But you might have ended up destroying for them and they won't see anything to do with the world.

Igbos have a good chance in succeeding in this planet and make the whole continent stand still. But we make silly comments and decisions which doesn't make us grow but sends us back to stone-age.

I don't believe Nigeria can help us. I don't believe the president is our saviour. I don't believe senators can relay our problems to the right authorities. I don't believe in our ministers. I don't even believe in our governors.

The people I believe in is us, the common people who reason with our heads and make the right strategies and decisions.

Our kids will curse us if we do nothing about the present economic state of the east. They will disrespect us when we grow old. When they will be insulted outside, they will come home and rain insults on us and our parents. Because we're not good parents.

Let's come together, no matter how small you can donate. Either by action, motives, strategy or otherwise, we should stop the Lagos and Nigeria dependency and work for our own economic self-reliance. This is the future and that's what we should be chasing.

9 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 9:14am On Oct 18, 2015
centje:
I know say you no like GEJ at all, so even if I write, e no go make sense to you cheesy since you've already made up your mind on him.

Harrassment, you wrote, think of it, while some APC members with corrupt tag on their neck are dinning with senate and president, PDP members are been hunted down and harrassed in the name of fighting corruption. Buhari isnt yet serious about corruption fight. The game is yet to start, when it does, we will know who's playing well or bad.

However, the issue at hand is that opposition states would not enjoy certain economic benefits from the central government. This time, we're not only hated but in Opposition. It's double wahala for dead bodi, and that's the reality in Nigerian politics, I want to point out. Even Buhari himself said it in an interview, in USA:

https://www.nairaland.com/2472916/buhari-not-treat-nigerians-equally/5

So any Governor in Opposition, especially in south east should wear the 5% tag on the neck like a Bulldog, and fight with tenacity. It's not as rosy as before. This the time we need our eastern governors to be much more honest, hardworking and dedicated.

It is only natural that more PDP people are corrupt as they held power for 16 years. Saraki is not PDP but is equally in corruption brouhaha and so are many other people found wanton. I had 2 years to assess Jonathan before concluding on him but Buhari has only been there for a few months and has not shown any form of impunity. By end of next year I will know if he will be like Jonathan or he's different.

For me in the East I never bought fuel at approved price throughout Jonathan's 6 years but I'm buying 87 now.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOPRINCE: 2:57pm On Oct 18, 2015
Abagworo:

It is only natural that more PDP people are corrupt as they held power for 16 years. Saraki is not PDP but is equally in corruption brouhaha and so are many other people found wanton. I had 2 years to assess Jonathan before concluding on him but Buhari has only been there for a few months and has not shown any form of impunity. By end of next year I will know if he will be like Jonathan or he's different.

For me in the East I never bought fuel at approved price throughout Jonathan's 6 years but I'm buying 87 now.
what? For the past 6years in jonathan govt, you didn't buy fuel at approved price?

Bro which part of the east re you from?

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 18, 2015
Lol, all APC members are saints cool . Unless you have a stake in a party, and get some benefits from them, I don't think it's healthy to defend any party in Nigeria. Even in case you get some bennefits, I think conscience and morals would make you want to condemn what is condemnable. There are always some corrupt practices to nail Most Nigerian Politicians, they usually get stung by greedy bee once they get there. So, they always have indictable acts trailing their path, APC led Government only selects those to nail and those to free. We all know why they are after Senate President, Saraki. Even, Tinubu openly said he is PDP in soul.

My dear, i don't know what others think but when Buhari is serious about corruption fight, I will know. I have already made my point in previous posts, this is just a fall out of the main issue, and I don't think I will further this anymore.

Abagworo:

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by millionaireman: 12:26am On Oct 19, 2015
IGBOSON1:
Nice pics Spyder!

Looks like someone in gov't has been on here and read our critique of New Haven boulevard.....it's looking marginally better now! I've even noticed a half-hearted attempt at planting some shrubs/trees in the median.....that could be done much better! The grass is cut nicely though!

I hope you all can see how those open gutters and a lack of proper elevated sidewalks takes away from the beauty of the street!

Enugu being a long established administrative Municipality is most likely to have its officials monitoring what people say about the state, even online.

But some other states in the south east are comparatively new in administration. Some state governors in these new states act as emperors because the people allow them.

Present Imo state governor, for example has no official web site, the government does not have any avenue to interact with Imo citizens. The government can hardly hear what Imo people say on newspapers or online. It's like emperor vs the masses relationship in Imo.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 7:00am On Oct 19, 2015
millionaireman:

Enugu being a long established administrative Municipality is most likely to have its officials monitoring what people say about the state, even online.

But some other states in the south east are comparatively new in administration. Some state governors in these new states act as emperors because the people allow them.

Present Imo state governor, for example has no official web site, the government does not have any avenue to interact with Imo citizens. The government can hardly hear what Imo people say on newspapers or online. It's like emperor vs the masses relationship in Imo.

Until the people stand up for their rights, they may never get it.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ARROBA(m): 7:55am On Oct 19, 2015
Any photo updates on the construction on new Enugu airport terminal?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:10am On Oct 19, 2015
ARROBA:
Any photo updates on the construction on new Enugu airport terminal?

I think they are working on the roof now, I will confirm this later this week when I visit Ugwuomu.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kcinho(m): 9:17am On Oct 19, 2015
UNTH on total and indefinite strike. www.nairaland.com/2675091/unth-docs-use-candle-lights
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:48am On Oct 19, 2015
They aren't running that hospital well, just like most teaching hospitals, a lot of corrupt practices go on there.

Kcinho:
UNTH on total and indefinite strike.
www.nairaland.com/2675091/unth-docs-use-candle-lights

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kcinho(m): 11:30am On Oct 19, 2015
centje:
They aren't running that hospital well, just like most teaching hospitals, a lot of corrupt practices go on there.

Dr. Amah is a shameless fraudster. He should just removed like his counterpart in fmc owerri.
I wonder how he got a second term after a disastrous first outing. Imagine patients and relatives bathing with well water.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:53am On Oct 19, 2015
Kcinho:

Dr. Amah is a shameless fraudster. He should just removed like his counterpart in fmc owerri.
I wonder how he got a second term after a disastrous first outing. Imagine patients and relatives bathing with well water.
He got it by federal might . I mean the second tenure
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kcinho(m): 12:01pm On Oct 19, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

He got it by federal might . I mean the second tenure
Of course. Which goes to show that buhari's anti-corruption campaign is a scam. Cos thieves are still being rewarded.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 12:03pm On Oct 19, 2015
Kcinho:

Of course. Which goes to show that buhari's anti-corruption campaign is a scam. Cos thieves are still being rewarded.
No, the last administration
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kcinho(m): 1:08pm On Oct 19, 2015
InyinyaAgbaOku:

No, the last administration
I know, it was hurriedly done before the inauguration without following due process. I was expecting the permanent secretary to reverse it in the spirit of "change".

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:59pm On Oct 19, 2015
Kcinho:

I know, it was hurriedly done before the inauguration without following due process. I was expecting the permanent secretary to reverse it in the spirit of "change".
Oh. Lol
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:20pm On Oct 19, 2015
The Geoffrey University, Enugu is to establish an Institute for Chinua Achebe Studies

Wed Oct 14th, 2015 - Enugu
By Emeka Mamah

ENUGU- The Geoffrey University, Enugu is to establish an Institute for Chinua Achebe Studies in the university.

Vice Chancellor of the university, Rev, Father (Professor) Christian Anieke made this known at a news briefing in Enugu Tuesday.

Anieke said that the decision to establish the Acbebe Institute was taken by English and Literature scholars from different institutions in the country during a recent seminar on the late renowned writer and novelist.

He said that the seminar was jointly organised by the Geoffrey University and the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, UNN.
He said that “Africans must do their own research and not allow foreigners to do so for them,” adding that all the books and novels ever read by Achebe would be assembled in the institute for scholars to dig more on the lives and times of Achebe.

”I will soon travel to America to meet Acbebe’s wife and also see his library to volume of all the books he has read. It will enable researchers work on the quantum of knowledge available to him as a writer.

”We will also visit the place where Acbebe did some administrative duties to find out for example what he minited in the files that passed through him.
”For example, we will visit the Enugu State Science of Technology, ESUT, where he chairman of the Governing Council of the university to know how he handled his administrative duties.

”This way, researchers and indeed, the world will reflect on the different meanings of Achebe’s writings,
”Acbeb’s Things Fall Apart was translated into 50 different languages. African literature and writings are rooted on Achebe. The centre will open up some window of research.

We will show that original research is possible through the Achebe Institute so that researcher do not go about copying others.

”Achebe showed through his writings that the white man did not show us how to do things and should be remembered for giving Africans voice in literature.
”We should be the champions on matters about Achebe. We do not want to wait for outsiders to take up the challenge,” he added.

http://news.bestnaira.com/posts/view/geoffrey-university-to-establish-chinua-achebe-studies-institute

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 19, 2015
I love this, Achebe was a great man that needs to be studied
centje:
The Geoffrey University, Enugu is to establish an Institute for Chinua Achebe Studies

Wed Oct 14th, 2015 - Enugu
By Emeka Mamah

ENUGU- The Geoffrey University, Enugu is to establish an Institute for Chinua Achebe Studies in the university.

Vice Chancellor of the university, Rev, Father (Professor) Christian Anieke made this known at a news briefing in Enugu Tuesday.

Anieke said that the decision to establish the Acbebe Institute was taken by English and Literature scholars from different institutions in the country during a recent seminar on the late renowned writer and novelist.

He said that the seminar was jointly organised by the Geoffrey University and the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, UNN.
He said that “Africans must do their own research and not allow foreigners to do so for them,” adding that all the books and novels ever read by Achebe would be assembled in the institute for scholars to dig more on the lives and times of Achebe.

”I will soon travel to America to meet Acbebe’s wife and also see his library to volume of all the books he has read. It will enable researchers work on the quantum of knowledge available to him as a writer.

”We will also visit the place where Acbebe did some administrative duties to find out for example what he minited in the files that passed through him.
”For example, we will visit the Enugu State Science of Technology, ESUT, where he chairman of the Governing Council of the university to know how he handled his administrative duties.

”This way, researchers and indeed, the world will reflect on the different meanings of Achebe’s writings,
”Acbeb’s Things Fall Apart was translated into 50 different languages. African literature and writings are rooted on Achebe. The centre will open up some window of research.

We will show that original research is possible through the Achebe Institute so that researcher do not go about copying others.

”Achebe showed through his writings that the white man did not show us how to do things and should be remembered for giving Africans voice in literature.
”We should be the champions on matters about Achebe. We do not want to wait for outsiders to take up the challenge,” he added.

http://news.bestnaira.com/posts/view/geoffrey-university-to-establish-chinua-achebe-studies-institute

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 19, 2015
By Francis Igata
ENUGU—ENUGU State Executive Council has approved the award of contracts for the construction of the eight roads earlier advertised and bided for in keeping with the administration’s drive to tackle challenges posed by bad roads in the state.
The government has also set machinery in motion for the rehabilitation of the ailing Star Printing and Publishing Company, publishers of Daily Star newspaper.
The roads are Abakpa Nike and Nike Lake Roads; Opi-Nsukka dual carriage way; Amankwo-Ameke-Amah brewery junction; Ninth Mile by-pass; Ohom Oba junction;Imilike Ani-Ezimo; Agu- Imilike- Ogbodu; Aba- Obollo Etiti- Amalla-Obollo –Afor- Udenu ring Roads.
Others are Enugu Road, Nsukka junction- Umuezebi -post office roundabout; Odenigbo roundabout, Ogurugu  Road–IkengaHotels Junction, among others.

Source. Vanguardngr.com

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by donguutti: 5:03pm On Oct 19, 2015
DikeOha882:

The roads are Abakpa Nike and Nike Lake Roads; Opi-Nsukka dual carriage way; Amankwo-Ameke-Amah brewery junction; Ninth Mile by-pass; Ohom Oba junction;Imilike Ani-Ezimo; Agu- Imilike- Ogbodu; Aba- Obollo Etiti- Amalla-Obollo –Afor- Udenu ring Roads.
Others are Enugu Road, Nsukka junction- Umuezebi -post office roundabout; Odenigbo roundabout, Ogurugu  Road–IkengaHotels Junction, among others.

does anyone have data for these contracts,length of road are involved,Contract sums, type of road-concrete
or asphalt,duration etc. Is revitalizing daily star Newspaper a priority ,does Enugu have comparative advantage
in media , is it wise to invest in publishing/printing house, considering the allure of Online newspapers,
social media and the Internet.

Let this Fella not lead us down the path of mediocrity.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (438) (439) (440) (441) (442) (443) (444) ... (701) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.