Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,735 members, 7,831,338 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (443) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1790824 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (440) (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) ... (701) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:07am On Oct 23, 2015
Ndi Wawa,nkelu ka unu melu?
I see your governor is thinking in the right direction. Anyways, I am happy for you guys and I can't wait to have you guys in the elite table. Oga adili unu mma.

Home Enugu State Gov Ugwuanyi Inaugurates Post Primary School Board warns against …
ENUGU STATEGENERALHEADLINESNEWSNIGERIASOUTH EAST
Gov Ugwuanyi Inaugurates Post Primary School Board warns against …
By Ifeadinmesi - Oct 20, 2015 67 0
Facebook Twitter
Ifeadinmesi: Gov Ugwuanyi
Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State (left) in a warm handshake with the newly inaugurated Chairman of Post Primary Schools Management Board, Barister Nestor Ezeme, at government house, Enugu

Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State has inaugurated a six-member newly reconstituted Post Primary Schools Management Board, PPSMB, with a charge to the members to arrest the decline in discipline in secondary schools in the state.

The board members are Messrs Nestor Ezeme, Chairman; Obi Kama and Clement Inyaba.

Others include Mrs. Obiageli Igwesi, Mrs. Veronica Ezeugwu as part-time members with Mrs. Favour Ugwuanyi the Permanent Secretary of the board as Secretary.

It was an occasion when the chairman of the new school board called on Governor Ugwuanyi to declare a state of emergency on computer education in the secondary school system in the state in view of the obvious lack of computer literacy among the greater population of the students.

Addressing the gathering on the occasion of the inauguration of the board members at the Government House, Enugu, Governor Ugwuanyi enjoined them, “to instill in the teachers and other workers, a new sense of discipline, diligence and responsibility that should reflect on the performance and character of their students”.

The governor warned that,”government would no longer tolerate inefficiency, redundancy, nonchalance and any unnecessary squabbles and intrigues both in the board and in schools”.

In his words, “we would therefore in this regard expect an instant and significant improvement in the performance of our children in WAEC, NECO, JAMB and other external examinations.”

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chinweze93(m): 8:05am On Oct 23, 2015
I think d govt website is up and running. Regularly updated. enugustate. gov. ng
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 23, 2015

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 9:10am On Oct 23, 2015
DaveAnte:
Why does everyone want airport and seaport in their village? Enugu does not need airport. The Akwa Ibom international airport and the Ibaka Seaport(one of the deepest in the entire world) should be enough to serve akwa ibom,Cross river,Imo,Abia and the entire southern region. Calabar Airport will be the reserve airport for emergency landing and local flights. It is a waste of money and time building any other airport .
Also,Akwa ibom is going to close and secure the Akwa ibom teritorial waters in the western bank due to global warming.I wonder where the Abia and Onitsha will manufacture ocean to build seaport.
are you sure you are ok?

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 9:12am On Oct 23, 2015
Stolen:
the new one will be smaller. more reason Nnamdi is right. just compare it.

one nigeria can never work.

it is either hausa and yoruba kill us all or they let us go or we kill them all.

one must happen for there to be peace.

igbos have, had enough of this forced marriage.
I wish your pdp did what they were supposed to do when they had all the time in the world

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 9:46am On Oct 23, 2015
asha80:
are you sure you are ok?

^^^Ignore the guy! He's just looking for someone to wind up this morning! smiley

If they manage to secure funds for a seaport at Obuaku let him go and stand in the way of the bulldozers, and when asked what the fuc/k he's doing he can say he doesn't want Igbos to have a seaport....that they should use the one at Ibaka! And while he's at it, he can add that he wants AIIA Enugu closed as well....that igbos should use the ones in Port Harcourt and Uyo!

It's obvious the type of individual he is so ignore him!

9 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 9:49am On Oct 23, 2015
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 3:51pm On Oct 23, 2015
Complimenting the good news with good pictures grin

Our international conference centre in the distance......

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 4:02pm On Oct 23, 2015
New buildings in an estate near Ebeano tunnel, along Abakaliki road Enugu.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 23, 2015
Wow, nice one spider smiley

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:02pm On Oct 23, 2015
Trans Ekulu, Enugu, south side........

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:03pm On Oct 23, 2015
willow0802:
Wow, nice one spider smiley

More pictures loading.....
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:07pm On Oct 23, 2015
Some streets inside town are sooo baaaadddddd

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:10pm On Oct 23, 2015
Swarming in greens, still in Trans Ekulu....... cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:14pm On Oct 23, 2015
The collection of homes that made up Ivory estate, Trans Ekulu Enugu.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:16pm On Oct 23, 2015
Over the express, looking at GRA, Enugu........

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ezeagu(m): 11:14pm On Oct 23, 2015
spyder880:

How can we develop African architecture, or adopt some good practices to reduce building costs and also introduce some convenience. I am tired of this concrete craze, even for those who are building small houses like bungalows.

[size=18pt]Rammed Earth and Recyclable Materials[/size]

I've already suggested rammed earth which more advanced countries are slowly moving to. Also wood and recycled materials like plastics would not only be cheap but would visually break up the depressing cement look of buildings in Nigeria. For example when you look at a house in Nigeria it's just a box of cements, while

This is the science center of a girls school in Australia made from rammed earth and other recyclable materials.

http://www.earthstructures.co.uk/

These are other buildings/renderings that were built with rammed earth and recyclable materials. It's funny because the idea of using mud and recyclable materials like ceramics is indigenous to Nigeria, but as I've said Nigerians/Africans do not think that anything of their is good enough, but that's simply ignorance and they'd rather build shabby imitations of various conflated European architectures from neo-Classical to Mediterranean.

"The structure was built using 200 tons of rammed Earth, a composite of regional dirt and pigments, compressed into 30” thick walls. This adds significant thermal mass to the building’s whole, optimal for temperature regulation. Bearing the structural load, these dense walls allow the space to exist free from obstructions, ideal for a simplified interior and exhibiting artwork."
http://eartharchitecture.org/index.php?/categories/3-Rammed-Earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVpYwdsA8Vg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PLa_-9hqLk

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 6:58pm On Oct 25, 2015
ezeagu:

[size=18pt]Rammed Earth and Recyclable Materials[/size]

I've already suggested rammed earth which more advanced countries are slowly moving to. Also wood and recycled materials like plastics would not only be cheap but would visually break up the depressing cement look of buildings in Nigeria. For example when you look at a house in Nigeria it's just a box of cements

My biggest concern is really using the cheapest locally adapted technology which uses 100% of materials in our environment to make good homes.

In the USA, wood is the preferred material because they have vast land with lots and lots of trees which they convert every year to building materials and immediately plant more.

In the SE Nigeria, we have lots of limestone and rocks,albeit under-utilized. however the technology presently used in building our homes which is Cement and rocks is indeed the best based on our natural endowments.The fact we are able to build houses is because the technology is easily available and the materials easily accessible. If we had to depend on foreign contractors to build houses, we would be having the same problems we have in the road making sector. So to make the technology to build good homes easily available to laborers is indeed a good strategy. we must achieve that too in our road making capability. We should begin looking inwards where we can contract out road making to a small company of 3-5 people, just as we contract building homes to small local companies.

I am really concerned about our insistence on Asphalt for road/ street making in Nigeria. Our soil type has proven that this method is indeed not appropriate for making long lasting roads in our environment. This poor strategy of using asphalt has perpetually forced us to keep repairing the same roads we built since independence without adding more. Our entire annual state budgets every year goes into rehabilitation and repair of earlier built roads. We rarely have built new roads which is a really damning fact to how we have wasted our resources over the years as a nation.

We must consider the use of concrete to make roads and the use of interlocking stones. I heard there is a machine easily available in South Africa and China that is able to pave great lengths of roads with interlocking bricks in very little time and this has been proven to last very very many decades before they ever go bad.

We must import some of these interlocking roads making machines and also popularize the machines that make the bricks used for these roads. Our state ministries of works can master the use of these and then we can award them intra city road building contracts. These will create jobs within our ministries while building our capacity to build our own roads. All these billions of naira wasted in getting one or two foreign construction firms to build us fake asphalt roads which will break down within 6 months to 1 year will then be saved from leaving the country. While we continuously improve our own internal capacity to build these durable roads while creating jobs internally for our own engineers and school leavers.

America the richest country in the world or even South Africa does not use foreign construction companies to do their roads,even when they can afford it and those German companies as Julius berger will probably do a better job than their own local American companies.
Why must we keep bleeding away our resources to foreign construction companies, instead of developing our own capacity?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 7:26pm On Oct 25, 2015
Picture 1 = Enugu neighborhood houses of cement and using local plastic tiles for roofing
Picture 2 = American neighborhood houses of wood and using shingles for roofing

Both neighborhoods have decent homes in spite of using very different building materials. We have won the fight about using local paints for our houses than the imported paints. That has helped create a few paint factories that have survived over the years.

In this particular American neighborhood, perhaps due to their soil type or due to having a concrete slab making factory close to them, they decided to use concrete slabs for the streets and sidewalks. Likewise, we should also have our streets made with concrete roads or with interlocking stones built locally using our local contractors. Then we would have finally started moving in the right direction in our construction industry. This issue is of the highest national importance, as it will help create massive amount of good paying jobs locally, while reducing capital flight which has killed the Nigerian economy that is so addicted to using foreign construction companies for even the simplest street level jobs.

11 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kagame: 8:02pm On Oct 25, 2015
@OreMi22

Thank you for your incisive posts -very enlightening.Though I get disappointed when I see you involved in tribal bashing.That aside, your suggestions on this thread and the Anambra thread are always spot on!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ZeroTolerance: 8:10pm On Oct 25, 2015
Kagame:
@OreMi22

Thank you for your incisive posts -very enlightening.Though I get disappointed when I see you involved in tribal bashing.That aside, your suggestions on this thread and the Anambra thread are always spot on!

Not all Igbos can keep quiet and watch our name dragged to the mud by other tribes.

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 8:59pm On Oct 25, 2015
Kagame:
@OreMi22

Thank you Bro.

I had told my story of NL in the Anambra thread when it was newly started. So I won't repeat it here. Suffice to say if yorubas and Hausas bashing Igbos were illiterate ediots, i would never join issues with those caliber of people.
To the contrary, if you see the calibre of yorubas plotting against Igbos and doing all the calumny & bashing all over the the internet, some are medical doctors, have PhDs and are University professors! It will be crass stupidity if Igbos like me who aren't even have as educated or half their age, ignore such yorubas in the name of being civil. That is what has irked me so much to join NL and voice my own disapproval. grin

I think it is a grave mistake on our part as Igbos to always erroneously think we are Nigerians first before being Igbo.
Every other group in nigeria think differently and our inability to comprehend this fact does not in any way spare us from its consequence.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ak47mann(m): 11:25pm On Oct 26, 2015
Does EFCC still harassing travelers flying from enugu int airport? my friend is flying ethiopian airline from london direct flight 2 enugu airport we discuss something in that nature and what amaze me the most is that in lagos airport you can travel with any amount, just want to verify from good source cool
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OreMI22: 12:09pm On Oct 27, 2015
Can we open up a new area along the road to Abakaliki for low income estates? Something resembling the Federal housing estate, Abakpa, where people can actually invest.
Part of the strategy for affordable homes is building where the land is cheap. Land used to me cheap in Emene, but not any more.We need a new area to help in the quest of giving low income workers the hope of owning their own house.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chekasforchekas: 9:37am On Oct 30, 2015
spyder880:
Swarming in greens, still in Trans Ekulu....... cheesy
Nna spyder nwanne ibi Na trans Ekulu guy, why be say Na my estate you dey snap anyday anytime, I dry dome 9ja this Xmas, guy I don even package my bag since dey wait for my ticket date, make we hook up for the new lounge near my estate.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:03am On Oct 31, 2015
chekasforchekas:
Nna spyder nwanne ibi Na trans Ekulu guy, why be say Na my estate you dey snap anyday anytime, I dry dome 9ja this Xmas, guy I don even package my bag since dey wait for my ticket date, make we hook up for the new lounge near my estate.

My brother, Trans Ekulu na my hood too, many of my bros lives there. Whenever you hit Coal city, you can have one bottle on me. cheesy
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:05am On Oct 31, 2015
Dhamija road, all the way to Phase 6, Trans Ekulu, Enugu.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:10am On Oct 31, 2015
OreMI22:
Can we open up a new area along the road to Abakaliki for low income estates? Something resembling the Federal housing estate, Abakpa, where people can actually invest.
Part of the strategy for affordable homes is building where the land is cheap. Land used to me cheap in Emene, but not any more.We need a new area to help in the quest of giving low income workers the hope of owning their own house.

I already sold out about 4 hectares there, work starting on the land next month.

https://www.nairaland.com/2203264/buy-lands-planned-estate-royal

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Stingman: 11:04am On Oct 31, 2015
Contractors Back to Sites in Enugu

There was visible excitement among residents of Enugu State when as heavy duty equipment of construction companies have moved back to sites at the eight roads recently awarded by the Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s of Enugu State.

This came as the members of the Enugu Urban Renewal Committee led by its Chairman, Mr. Chris Offor, on Friday visited some of the sites to ascertain the level of commitment of the contractors in mobilising to sites to commence work.

Addressing the residents in the areas visited, the Committee Chairman told them that their visit was in line with the directive of the State Governor to ensure that contractors handling the roads mobilise to site to commence work immediately.

He disclosed that the governor was in a hurry to commence action on the roads and was equally committed to develop the entire state through aggressive urban and rural development programmes that would open up economic opportunities in the state as well alleviate the sufferings of the people.

He noted that the early commencement of construction works at the eight awarded roads was a welcome development which proves the seriousness of the present administration to bring meaningful development to the doorsteps of the electorate.

Residents said that the commencement of the reconstruction of Abakpa-Nike and Nike lake roads, the Opi-Nsukka dual carriage road, the 9th mile corner bypass, among others, was a good omen for the state and an indication that Ugwuanyi meant business and was sensitive to the plight of the people.

They assured the governor of their readiness to make sacrifices and collaborate with government to ensure the success of the projects, to ease traffic congestion in the area.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/contractors-back-to-sites-in-enugu/224266/

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 31, 2015
Can someone get this video on youtube here, its amazing seeing Igbo biracial children in far away Finland speak Igbo. I was so happy watching it . Search for Igbo Children In Finland

I would have posted it but but I have corrupted memory card.

Cc Igboson1
Cc BigFrancis
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 31, 2015
Ikengawo, someone is missing your contribution on nairaland.

(1) (2) (3) ... (440) (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) ... (701) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.