Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,112 members, 7,818,319 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (92) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1783849 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by onuleo(m): 9:19pm On Jan 06, 2013
onuleo: Oga spyda, nigthshift, Acm, centje, ezeagu n oda 042 crew pepz i gret u. If ani of u cn hlp us wit pix of d ezeagu tourist cmplex n d songhai project in ezeagu 2. N also hw z work in d centinari city? My Old man seem 2 b intrestd plz. N lastly tel chime 2 look wit pity on Abakpa.
jst a re-eco
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by EASTSIDAZ: 9:43pm On Jan 06, 2013
The report that the health of Governor Sullivan Chime of Enugu State may have taken a turn for the worse following complications from a major surgery carried out on him in a London hospital is causing anxiety in the state.

Though the date and time of the said surgery was not made known when filing this report, informed sources said the governor may be suffering from a cancer-related ailment which prompted the surgery.

Initial reports had it that he was immediately flown to New Delhi in India where he was to be given a more serious medical attention, but government sources dismissed the report, insisting that the governor “who though had initially relapsed into coma” was still responding to treatment in the London hospital.

Apparently disturbed by the latest development, most family members of the governor, including his children led by Nnamdi; his brother, Jide and sister, May Orji, were said to have embarked on a trip to London earlier last week to ascertain the actual situation with their brother governor.

Also, the situation is not different within government circles as THISDAY checks revealed that most of the government officials in the state are now living in anxiety, as they continue to wonder what would likely be their fate if anything “untoward” happens in the coming weeks.
Their worry stems from the fact that about 90 percent of them are equally kept in the dark on the real condition of the governor.

The situation, sources within government circles say, is gradually getting out of hand, as members of the State Executive Council, mostly the commissioners are said to be disturbed and already planning on taking steps aimed at unraveling the mystery behind the whereabouts of the governor.

“I can tell you that the executive council is no longer finding the whole drama funny.
How can we be completely kept in the dark? Residents of the state are worried and the worst part of it is that they are relying on us to give them the true story but unfortunately, we don’t have any information,” the source who is also a member of the council told THISDAY.
Asked if they were planning to possibly write the State Assembly, declaring the governor incapacitated as required by the constitution, the source declined to make further comments, but rather maintained that they were worried with the situation.

“We are just worried with the situation and I can assure you that most members are having the same feeling.
Our boss indeed informed us during the last executive council meeting we had with him that he was going to be away for a long time and that the Deputy Governor would act in his absence.

“But after six weeks which was actually contained in the letter which was sent to the House of Assembly, we became worried and we have tried to ask questions from some quarters close to him and what we keep getting everyday is that he will soon be back, yet the media have been writing a whole lot concerning him.

“My brother, all we know now is that the governor is on vacation; that’s the official position of government but I can tell you unofficially that there is fire on the mountain, but what I can’t tell you is the colour of this fire,” he noted.

Governor Chime had been away from the state since September 19, 2012 when he left the state after transmitting a letter to the House of Assembly informing them of his intention to begin his annual leave and accordingly informing them that his deputy would function as acting governor in his absence.

However, when speculation about the governor’s whereabouts increased, Commissioner for Information, Chuks Ugwoke, had announced that the governor was enjoying his accumulated leave.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jan 06, 2013
Na wa o! Chime maybe losing grip of the power. This is sad.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by EASTSIDAZ: 9:59pm On Jan 06, 2013
centje: Na wa o! Chime maybe losing grip of the power. This is sad.

He had already lost it. I heard politicians in the state are now scampering and heavy looting going on..
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:14pm On Jan 06, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

He had already lost it. I heard politicians in the state are now scampering and heavy looting going on..

^^^No surprises there then......normal service resumes, which was 'rudely' truncated with the coming of Chime in 2007.

And just when Enugu state was on the way up.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by KnowAll(m): 10:40pm On Jan 06, 2013
his brother, Jide and sister, May Orji, were said to have embarked on a trip to London earlier last week to ascertain the actual situation with their brother governor

Chime get brother wey be Jide?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:20pm On Jan 06, 2013
KnowAll: [b].

Chime get brother wey be Jide?

^^^As in Jideofor.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 9:47pm On Jan 07, 2013
Lets look at lower Uwani and eswama operations there, and I visited Ngene evu today, pictures loading.......
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 9:57pm On Jan 07, 2013
This type of housing units, (blocks of 6, 8 or 10 flats) dominate the whole of Uwani Enugu.

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:03pm On Jan 07, 2013
Because of the population of people in Uwani, (which I personally estimate to be in the region of 500,000 persons) they generate tons of solid waste daily

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:31pm On Jan 07, 2013
My problem with these people is that they dump their refuse inside a nearby ditch whenever the metal bins are filled up

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:33pm On Jan 07, 2013
Of course ESWAMA covers this territory

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:37pm On Jan 07, 2013
But they are leaving the dump site without removing all the waste!

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:45pm On Jan 07, 2013
Ngene evu is a habitation area just behind coal camp, and used to house a few coal mining officers back in the olden days. Now the coal boom has disappeared, the poor masses moved int the area and started building houses in the most challenging of terrains, and they are living and enjoying themselves here!

The population here is more than 8,000 persons living in shanty houses devoid of any sort of comfort. People live on top of hills here, I was very surprised at the realities of existence here. Roads were done here by Chimaroke Nnamani some years back but I think the government should assist these people with water and other social amenities like more roads and sanitation.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:53pm On Jan 07, 2013
I promised to show all of Enugu, these people here also live in Enugu!

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:57pm On Jan 07, 2013
Welcome to Ngene evu cheesy

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 11:01pm On Jan 07, 2013
some more

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 11:04pm On Jan 07, 2013
a typical street in the area

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 11:06pm On Jan 07, 2013
another side

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 11:08pm On Jan 07, 2013
finally.....

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 11:34am On Jan 08, 2013
Ngene evu. I didn't know of that place till my 4th year in medical school. The settlement is located behind old UNTH and we could often get a picturesque Aerial view from atop Nnamdi Azikiwe hostel aka 140.

Government needs to improve our living standards like you've suggested. I hope our government will be able to provide decent accommodation especially for low income earners. Well, isn't that even governments job in the first place? To cater to the needs of the less privileged. One then wonders how we devolved to this point. as my father says, "kee ka mmiri si banye n'opi ugbogoro"...BTW, what does the name 'Ngene Evu' mean?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by achi4u(m): 4:27pm On Jan 08, 2013
^^^
Ngene evu sound like a name of diety or somthing of that nature.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 08, 2013
That road passing through ngene evu was poorly done. A fly over would have been better at the valley part. its somehow dangerous,vehicle may be unable to ascend the second hill after descending from the other hill.

But one sweet thing about the road is the roller coaster effect it gives when passing through it.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:21pm On Jan 08, 2013
passion007: Ngene evu. I didn't know of that place till my 4th year in medical school. The settlement is located behind old UNTH and we could often get a picturesque Aerial view from atop Nnamdi Azikiwe hostel aka 140.

Government needs to improve our living standards like you've suggested. I hope our government will be able to provide decent accommodation especially for low income earners. Well, isn't that even governments job in the first place? To cater to the needs of the less privileged. One then wonders how we devolved to this point. as my father says, "kee ka mmiri si banye n'opi ugbogoro"...BTW, what does the name 'Ngene Evu' mean?

achi4u: ^^^
Ngene evu sound like a name of diety or somthing of that nature.

As a man who was born and brought up in Igboland, grin

Ngene means stream or a body of water not necessarily a river or sea, I can draw inference from an Igbo saying that says "agbarusia ngene, akworo ngene nuo" meaning after messing up the stream, you will still be forced to drink from it.
Evu or ebu in Igbo language means wasp, remember the saying, "isi kote ebu, o gbakasia ya" - Oliver de Coque

Joining the two words will give us Ngene evu, meaning the "stream of wasps"

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 4:18am On Jan 09, 2013
spyder880:

As a man who was born and brought up in Igboland, grin

Ngene means stream or a body of water not necessarily a river or sea, I can draw inference from an Igbo saying that says "agbarusia ngene, akworo ngene nuo" meaning after messing up the stream, you will still be forced to drink from it.
Evu or ebu in Igbo language means wasp, remember the saying, "isi kote ebu, o gbakasia ya" - Oliver de Coque

Joining the two words will give us Ngene evu, meaning the "stream of wasps"
Good one, bro...you have the mind of a scientist, what're you doing in real estate? oh, who am I kidding, that's where the money is!

Stream of wasps...our people always model place names after life events , so it seems likely there was a wasp scourge around this area at some point in history...unfortunately, we may never know...documentation is not our strongest suit...till this day, the culture of my Isiuzo people is still enshrouded/lost in secrecy.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:50am On Jan 09, 2013
passion007: Good one, bro...you have the mind of a scientist, what're you doing in real estate? oh, who am I kidding, that's where the money is!

Stream of wasps...our people always model place names after life events , so it seems likely there was a wasp scourge around this area at some point in history...unfortunately, we may never know...documentation is not our strongest suit...till this day, the culture of my Isiuzo people is still enshrouded/lost in secrecy.

Isiuzo? A lovely place. The culture of the Isiuzo people is as a result of their mixed ancestry and combined history. I still remember my argument with two Isiuzo guys, one from Neke and another from Mbu. The argument was whether the Isiuzo people originally came from Nsukka or from Nkanu?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 11:46am On Jan 09, 2013
spyder880:

Isiuzo? A lovely place. The culture of the Isiuzo people is as a result of their mixed ancestry and combined history. I still remember my argument with two Isiuzo guys, one from Neke and another from Mbu. The argument was whether the Isiuzo people originally came from Nsukka or from Nkanu?
Hahaha...that's a perennial argument. In my first year in Nsukka, the Nkanu Students 'Kporakpo' insisted I join them...I was actually confused because I personally identify more with Nsukka than with Nkanu. However when I asked my father, he replied "where is your mother from?" My mother is from Ozalla, Nkanu. "We have a similar descent...that's why we marry them"
Nevertheless I joined the Nsukka students' kporakpo for beautiful Miss Idoko's sake, even though she would later break my heart...lol
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by achi4u(m): 2:07pm On Jan 09, 2013
@spyder88
Thanks for the explanation
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:01pm On Jan 10, 2013
That is me holding my brake as soon as I saw this road, when did they do this? I mean this road was not here last week.

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:04pm On Jan 10, 2013
This is a portion of the Naira triangle, very close to the NNPC mega filling station in Enugu, and a short road was just created from where I thought was reserved as a park.

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:20pm On Jan 10, 2013
This is the mega station, and by the right of this picture is the express road that leads all the way till Port Harcourt, why this new road?

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jan 10, 2013
Spyder,
You know that naira triangle project was stopped because it was against the plan of that area. The area was designed for a fly over,so a fun park can't fit in.

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.