Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,558 members, 7,816,349 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? (14571 Views)

Why People Hate Maths And Its Related Courses. (photo) / Want To Study Computer Science But Hate Maths. / Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by superior1: 11:26am On Jul 05, 2012
Because those silly teachers failed to show us the application of dy, dx, log etc in real life challenges and situations
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by kennyjvip: 11:33am On Jul 05, 2012
if dont like maths dats means u dont want to b rich
any rich man in d world they ar innovative and think always
so maths involved been thinking and makes u be proactive thinker.
i love maths than my girl f.

without maths i can sleep....
thanks for my teacher in pry sch ,secondary sch st.joseph sec. shc idimagoro lagos.
b4 u no it u become a manager cos if u cant think u cant b a manager
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 11:43am On Jul 05, 2012
During my secondary school, cramming was a nightmare but maths? I led with 99.94 average! It's all about thinking, being logical and at large reasoning differently from a monkey lol
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Yornandrew: 11:44am On Jul 05, 2012
No comments
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Toppie2(f): 11:49am On Jul 05, 2012
aruzuoke: I don't know whether I'm alone in this field of thought but I have found it difficult to love mathmatics no matter how hard I try. I equally have the same negative perception towards my maths teachers.
maths teachers are usualy strict 'n' stern. Going 2 klas 2 teach such subject wth a very lng cane doesnt jst help.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by okwanuzo3(f): 11:59am On Jul 05, 2012
People hate maths?
Had no idea
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by crackhouse(m): 12:00pm On Jul 05, 2012
Maths, physics & English language was my best subjects back in my sec sch days but i still believe that all of you guys that are talking about maths being simple have not come across the real mathematics. Maybe u guys are still solving the secondary school maths and you think maths is as simple as ABC. Try very advanced maths and u will bow whenever the name "Maths" is mentioned. Na that time u go know say maths no be moi-moi.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by WarHorse1(m): 12:00pm On Jul 05, 2012
I will put it in three reasons

1. Maths teachers without a passion to teach maths

2. Poor foundation Knowledge of Maths (First principles matter a lot)

3. Lack of Mathematical application in the real life of work.

For me, I love maths. I see maths in Everything. life to me is a mathematical model. And no wonder, majority of Nigerians are bad managers - because, if you cannot measure it, you hell cannot manage it. I see maths in everything.

How does a woman know how much salt should go into a defined quantity of soup - I see Mathematical Proportion, Ratios, percentage

How much fuel will take you to a defined destination - I see differentiation (rate of change), Algebra

How does a bricklayer define how many block to use for a certain task - I see geometry

How much food will satisfy you - I see solids, volume and capacity.

how does God attend to our many prayers, hear them and respond to them - I see equations of more than 2 variables

Maths is all around us.

Here are three success tips for mastering mathematics

1. Start with Jss1 New General Mathematics (forget whether you a masters degree holder in a non mathematical discipline)

2. Solve all questions in the Exercises given. If you find any difficult, ask someone who love maths - family member, church member etc
3. Make sure you read upto JSS3 New General Mathematics. Thats just enough to pull you through the world of mathematics

Other suggestions will be to read a foreign textbook on secondary mathematics - their illustrations will make you love maths. Also, the internet is a terrible source of wonderful tutorials. Rather than facebook with your BBs, go to youtube and learn from videos.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by violent(m): 12:08pm On Jul 05, 2012
cryptic:

I would not want to argue with you because you lack the intellectual capacity to see things in my own light...Have you heard of order in Chaos? Heard of randomness and Probability? You are obviously the myopic one here because you have got a low insight on the nature of life and the laws that govern life on earth. Why do we die? Can you answer that? We die because our cells have been programmed not to exist beyond a particular period(Is that mathematical or poetic?)Why is there a pattern to everything you see around you? Until you begin to spend time in seclusion, until you begin to PAY ATTENTION TO DETAILS(No matter how inconsequential), Until you begin to develop your mind day in, day out you can never understand the things around you. Even the greatest philosophers, painters, musicians need to have a fundamental knowledge of mathematics to thrive in their fields. Painting is mathematical do you know that? Music is very mathematical...How the chords combine to produce a consistent, harmonious sound is mathematical...The ability for you to distinguish between right and wrong is mathematical because it is logical and if you understand the precepts of logic you will know that mathematics and logic go hand in hand. Even Fuzzy logic that is the building block of artificial intelligence is mathematical. The EEG and the ECG that record the electrical activities of the brain and the heart respectively do so using mathematical models. If your heart beat exceeds a particular rate, it ruptures a vein or an artery; the heart has to obey a mathematical rule. Have you asked yourself why EVERY SINGLE STUDENT IN COLLEGES HAS TO TAKE A COURSE IN MATHEMATICS? I did, if you went to college, you also did. DEVELOP YOUR MIND, Maybe you just might look at things and see beyond what every other person see.

People die at old age because their cells can't replicate the DNA to the very end of the strand and once the telomeres reaches a certain level, it signals on the mammal cell to die, effectively limiting the number of times a cell can reproduce. That's pure biology/chemistry...if follows a biological process and governed by chemical structure of the nucleoli. (Even the signalling here is a Chemical process not a mathematical process).

How do you explain Digestion with mathematics? How do you explain reproduction with mathematics? How do you explain acquisition of disease with mathematics? How do you explain hatred? How do you explain spending quality time with your family using mathematics? How do you explain Hunger? How do you explain war?
Stop spitting rubbish through your nose!...MATHEMATICS is not LIFE!..there's more to LIFE! Your vain attempts to explain all of human behavior with mathematics is myopic at best, at worst, it reeks of stark ignorance of the very subject you claim to be passionate about.

Randomness and Probability took their origin from gambling!...Attempts to model a purely chance event using stochastic models have always been proven to be inaccurate and are only used with a margin of error. What is the probability that Nigeria will attack Russia tomorrow? No one can fu[i]c[/i]king tell given that Nigeria has never attacked Russia before. Probability models will only come up with large margin of errors, of what use is any of that? Any smart mathematician WILL know that pure randomness cannot be modeled using mathematics! You can't tell the future unless you've got a magic blue ball and looking at models will only provide you with the probability that history will repeat itself maybe with a certain "drift". Every smart person knows there's no future in history, learn my friend, learn not to be so myopic!

You don't require fundamental knowledge of mathematics to thrive in the field of literature, arts, or even music, dammit! all you need mostly are a brilliant mind and an indisputable talent!...while mathematics may be useful to explain the theory, the knowledge of the theory does not Granger Cause the brilliant result produced in practice. The brilliant sculptors produced by Michael Angelo was not necessarily because he has an enviable ability to measure out contours, or surface areas, but for his indisputable talent and brilliant hands.

Even Mathematical Logic itself drives it's root from philosophy, if you are a smart mathematician, you will know that!

And that rubbish you mentioned about the ability to distinguish between right and wrong depending on mathematics, is just what it is, rubbish!.,.if you ever say that again, i may be tempted to issue you series of e-slaps!
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by iyanzee(f): 12:09pm On Jul 05, 2012
I really don't know y pple h8 maths Student feel its difficult and i tink its just d lazy attituf of students
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by violent(m): 12:13pm On Jul 05, 2012
kennyjvip: if dont like maths dats means u dont want to b rich
any rich man in d world they ar innovative and think always
so maths involved been thinking and makes u be proactive thinker.
i love maths than my girl f.

without maths i can sleep....
thanks for my teacher in pry sch ,secondary sch st.joseph sec. shc idimagoro lagos.
b4 u no it u become a manager cos if u cant think u cant b a manager

At least learn some damn English, it may save your life.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by masterpiecer(m): 12:21pm On Jul 05, 2012
A letter to Maths:

Dear maths,
stoping asking us to find ur X,
she is gone and wont come back
and dont even bother to ask Y.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by doublecross(m): 12:22pm On Jul 05, 2012
you are a maths guru. thats the answer i have been waiting for. if you want to know maths, you have to build from grass root. but it's never too late. with hard work and seriousness you can get along. you can contact me on facebook. we can interact through chat. look me up ( stanley alvez) on facebook. i can be of assistance on the topics you find difficult.
greall1: Math its kind of suject have to build with personal intrest from grass root of education
Before understand it.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Clemzy16(m): 12:27pm On Jul 05, 2012
Maths is my LULLABY!
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by ayodot(m): 12:36pm On Jul 05, 2012
maths involves lots of simply reasoning. Thats why in the elementry school simple reason is tot. So those that hate maths can do some simple day to day reasoning and logic.
Maths is every interesting specially word problems
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jul 05, 2012
cryptic: The main reason is this: Mathematics requires a lot of thinking and logic...Most people from this part of the world are lazy mentally...That is why we have quack Engineers and Computer Programmers all over the place. You have to be ready to task yourself mentally for you to be great friends with mathematics...Mathematics is life bro. Everything you see around you is mathematical...From the words you speak per minute to your heartbeat rate, to the replication rate of bacterial, human, fungal cells, to the number of your steps per minute, to the flow of the day, the amount of revolutions of the earth per year...LIFE IS MATHEMATICS; MATHEMATICS IS LIFE....Believe it or not: Mathematicians are the most intelligent set of humans...QUOTE ME ANYWHERE

I just quoted you. grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by BaBaMike: 12:46pm On Jul 05, 2012
Billyonaire: If you ask me 2+3 = ? I may not know the answer, but just say 2 naira + 3 naira, I know the answer is 5 naira for shizzle. And that's why I hate maths, cos I often think, of what value is quadratic equation to my personal growth, am sure many people cant answer that. If you can answer, you are a cyborg.

Lol..... your maths ignorance or hatred didnt hamper your financial intelligence.
I love your style
grin
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 05, 2012
Dear math

Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by nipeks001(m): 12:47pm On Jul 05, 2012
cryptic:

Your answer is WRONG!!! Eating a lot of sugary stuffs don't give you diabetes...It depends on the state of your body system, your lifestyle and your genetic make-up. Get your facts straight before saying stuffs you are not sure about.
U are feeling Mendel abi,abeg dey chop 1 packet of st.louis everyday and i'm sure b4 d end of this yr,ur obituary will be out.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by pendo89(f): 12:57pm On Jul 05, 2012
now this thread makes me hate maths.

but more has to to do with ur first maths teacher.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by karpentar: 12:59pm On Jul 05, 2012
There's no such thing as hating maths. If you're born with it, you wont hate it. So, it's either you're born with it or not! You can't learn to be good at math if you weren't born with it. It's like asking if you can make your iq much higher than it ever was. It's not impossible but most times you have to be born with it.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jul 05, 2012
I just hate math

Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by BaBaMike: 1:02pm On Jul 05, 2012
SimonAndal: I love only Matrix and Algebra. All other aspects of math can go to hell for all I care.

Maths is not helpful like Algebra, in some people's career they won't need it at all
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 05, 2012
Korrection: Yur are very very wrong...hardwork didnt depend on maths....effort does...think again...I HATE MATHS SO MUCH BUT WAS PUSHED TO IT BY FATE...I READ COMPUTER SCIENCE..I CHOOSE THE COURSE COS I THOUGHT ITS ALL ABOUT NETWORKING AND INFORMATION....YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS PURE MATHS SO I FACED IT SQUARELY BUT HONESTLY I HAVE NEVER PASSED MATHS BEFORE THE REASON WHY I DID DIPLOMA THEN DIRECT ENTRY BEFORE GAINING ADMISSION SO YOU SEE...I WORKED SO HARD TO BY PASS MATHS TO WHERE I AM TODAY... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Bros do not mind them, all they talk abt is Ø-level maths. I'm an industrial chemist, I had to do some courses from mathematics department throughout my year of studies. Been a math guru myself, you have to say quantum mechanic and thermodynamics isn't about hardwork alone, because its all waste of time. In real world, it doesn't exist
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by mspookie: 1:10pm On Jul 05, 2012
its hard *shikena*
grin

Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by dryakson(m): 1:16pm On Jul 05, 2012
A MATHS STUDENT LOVE LETTER
My Dear Love,
Yesterday, I was passing by your
rectangular house in trigonometric
lane.
There I saw you with your cute
circular
face, conical nose and spherical eyes,
standing in your triangular garden.
Before seeing you, my heart was a
null set,
but when a vector of magnitude
(likeness)
from your eyes at a deviation of
theta
radians made a tangent to my heart,
it
differentiated.
My love for you is a quadratic
equation with
real roots, which only you can solve
by
making good binary relation with
me. The
cosine of my love for you extends to
infinity. I promise that I should not
resolve
you into partial functions but if I do
so, you
can integrate me by applying the
limits
from zero to infinity.
You are as essential to me as an
element
to a set. The geometry of my life
revolves
around your acute personality.
Yours ever loving, Pythagoras…
who say Maths no sweet?
Though i can also remember when i asked my maths teacher that why we always used X and Y in maths, then he said i should go ask my papa, omg that is where i hate but maths and the teacher.
To my opinion is lack of interest in the subject
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jul 05, 2012
War Horse: I will put it in three reasons

1. Maths teachers without a passion to teach maths

2. Poor foundation Knowledge of Maths (First principles matter a lot)

3. Lack of Mathematical application in the real life of work.

For me, I love maths. I see maths in Everything. life to me is a mathematical model. And no wonder, majority of Nigerians are bad managers - because, if you cannot measure it, you hell cannot manage it. I see maths in everything.

How does a woman know how much salt should go into a defined quantity of soup - I see Mathematical Proportion, Ratios, percentage

How much fuel will take you to a defined destination - I see differentiation (rate of change), Algebra

How does a bricklayer define how many block to use for a certain task - I see geometry

How much food will satisfy you - I see solids, volume and capacity.

how does God attend to our many prayers, hear them and respond to them - I see equations of more than 2 variables

Maths is all around us.

Here are three success tips for mastering mathematics

1. Start with Jss1 New General Mathematics (forget whether you a masters degree holder in a non mathematical discipline)

2. Solve all questions in the Exercises given. If you find any difficult, ask someone who love maths - family member, church member etc
3. Make sure you read upto JSS3 New General Mathematics. Thats just enough to pull you through the world of mathematics

Other suggestions will be to read a foreign textbook on secondary mathematics - their illustrations will make you love maths. Also, the internet is a terrible source of wonderful tutorials. Rather than facebook with your BBs, go to youtube and learn from videos.

Where 'll schrödinger equations falls under? Or probability of finding electron in an infinitestima well? Sir, if you ever worked out a single question on 3 pages, then you'll understand. Moreover, maths require alot of crammin more than any course
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 05, 2012
Ibime: Maths is based on rules and the application of rules. It is a lifelong learning process where if you miss out any stage of your education, you suffer later. People hate Maths cos they missed out parts of their education.

There are three key stages of Maths to master.

If you dont master arithmetic (the property of numbers using numbers), you will struggle when you get to algebra (the property of numbers using letters), and if you do not master algebra, you will struggle when you get to calculus (the rate of change of numbers using letters).

In-between these three cornerstones of Mathematics, you come across hundreds of rules and methods that you need to master whether BODMAS, proportional reasoning, Pythagoras, trigonometry, Taylor Series expansion, matrix augmentation etc etc etc.

The reason people hate Maths is because one Maths problem may require you to apply a combination of these rules and methods. At primary level, you may only need to apply 3 or 4 to solve a problem. At secondary level, 6 or 7. At university level, 10 and above, and going further, you may run into problems that require 50 or more operations.

Each of these operations are fairly easy. It is combining them that makes Maths difficult for people.
sir, you are very correct
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Ehinafe: 1:28pm On Jul 05, 2012
nipeks001: Question: Paul has 100 chocolates,he ate 80.now,what does he have?
Answer: DIABETES
Question: 10 Birds are top of Iroko tree, if you shoot at one so that he dies, how many birds will remain on the tree?
Answer:
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by nagoma(m): 1:30pm On Jul 05, 2012
What do you mean people hate maths? You mean Lazy students hate work , isn't it?
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by kiyosaki1(m): 1:32pm On Jul 05, 2012
stagger: Maths is such an easy subject. It is all about understanding the basic principles. I love my dad anyday. Thanks to him for making me a Maths guru.
gbam
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by kiyosaki1(m): 1:34pm On Jul 05, 2012
Ehinafe:
Question: 10 Birds are top of Iroko tree, if you shoot at one so that he dies, how many birds will remain on the tree?
Answer:
none, because if you shoot at one the rest will flee

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Strike: A Wrong Approach To Nigeria's Educational Problems / Hostel Named After Firdausi Amasa At Islamic Leadership Academy, Kuje / Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.