Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,794 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? (14574 Views)

Why People Hate Maths And Its Related Courses. (photo) / Want To Study Computer Science But Hate Maths. / Nigerian Students Generally Study The Wrong Majors At Undergrad Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by donigspain(m): 10:01am On Jul 05, 2012
I don't hate maths; I just don't fancy 'CLASS ROOM' maths.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:02am On Jul 05, 2012
I think the problem is that we tend to get the foundation wrong, so when a child is growing up without the basic foundational grounding in maths, he develops a fear/hatred for it throughout his schooling years. Unfortunately, if the situation is not remedied in his primary school years, that feeling stays with him for the rest of his life.

We need to make maths interesting and practical from an early age, and the teachers need to have a patient/fun approach towards teaching it; they should try to give each kid a one-on-one attention, as the present approach of lumping up to 30 kids in one classroom (with a cane wielding stern looking Miss) helps kids that are struggling to hide in the crowd.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by tellwisdom: 10:03am On Jul 05, 2012
Maths na small thing na. No be to plus 3+3=6?? sad sad
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by damilola15: 10:03am On Jul 05, 2012
I love Mathematics and I've heard a lot of reasons why people hate Maths which I've concluded that it's a matter of interest.

I really don't know why I don't like Biology either, I guess I just don't have interest in it.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by 9lifes(m): 10:07am On Jul 05, 2012
Boring lecturers..especially the dumb ones that give simple examples and bring hell in exams and tests.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Coefficient(m): 10:08am On Jul 05, 2012
tellwisdom: Maths na small thing na. No be to plus 3+3=6?? sad sad

Guy! Wetin na? Wetin u dey find 4 this thread? Dem no dey yansh here na! LOL grin
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Korrection(m): 10:09am On Jul 05, 2012
Yur are very very wrong...hardwork didnt depend on maths....effort does...think again...I HATE MATHS SO MUCH BUT WAS PUSHED TO IT BY FATE...I READ COMPUTER SCIENCE..I CHOOSE THE COURSE COS I THOUGHT ITS ALL ABOUT NETWORKING AND INFORMATION....YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS PURE MATHS SO I FACED IT SQUARELY BUT HONESTLY I HAVE NEVER PASSED MATHS BEFORE THE REASON WHY I DID DIPLOMA THEN DIRECT ENTRY BEFORE GAINING ADMISSION SO YOU SEE...I WORKED SO HARD TO BY PASS MATHS TO WHERE I AM TODAY... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
nobleayo: maths is hardwork.people are naturally lazy.they do not want to task themselves
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 10:10am On Jul 05, 2012
nipeks001: Question: Paul has 100 chocolates,he hate 80.now,what does he have?
Answer: DIABETES

Your answer is WRONG!!! Eating a lot of sugary stuffs don't give you diabetes...It depends on the state of your body system, your lifestyle and your genetic make-up. Get your facts straight before saying stuffs you are not sure about.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by JimmyBoy1: 10:17am On Jul 05, 2012
Bad teachers.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Ibime(m): 10:23am On Jul 05, 2012
Maths is based on rules and the application of rules. It is a lifelong learning process where if you miss out any stage of your education, you suffer later. People hate Maths cos they missed out parts of their education.

There are three key stages of Maths to master.

If you dont master arithmetic (the property of numbers using numbers), you will struggle when you get to algebra (the property of numbers using letters), and if you do not master algebra, you will struggle when you get to calculus (the rate of change of numbers using letters).

In-between these three cornerstones of Mathematics, you come across hundreds of rules and methods that you need to master whether BODMAS, proportional reasoning, Pythagoras, trigonometry, Taylor Series expansion, matrix augmentation etc etc etc.

The reason people hate Maths is because one Maths problem may require you to apply a combination of these rules and methods. At primary level, you may only need to apply 3 or 4 to solve a problem. At secondary level, 6 or 7. At university level, 10 and above, and going further, you may run into problems that require 50 or more operations.

Each of these operations are fairly easy. It is combining them that makes Maths difficult for people.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by masterpiecer(m): 10:26am On Jul 05, 2012
i dont really fancy maths, i love d arts, paintings, sculpture, graphic arts, they so adorable
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Sacredcow: 10:29am On Jul 05, 2012
undecidedAlways asked to look for x
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by violent(m): 10:29am On Jul 05, 2012
cryptic: The main reason is this: Mathematics requires a lot of thinking and logic...Most people from this part of the world are lazy mentally...That is why we have quack Engineers and Computer Programmers all over the place. You have to be ready to task yourself mentally for you to be great friends with mathematics...Mathematics is life bro. Everything you see around you is mathematical...From the words you speak per minute to your heartbeat rate, to the replication rate of bacterial, human, fungal cells, to the number of your steps per minute, to the flow of the day, the amount of revolutions of the earth per year...LIFE IS MATHEMATICS; MATHEMATICS IS LIFE....Believe it or not: Mathematicians are the most intelligent set of humans...QUOTE ME ANYWHERE

You do have a very myopic view of what life is all about!..While mathematics can quantify most of the things humans do in their daily activities, it however does not necessarily cause those activities themselves to occur. Mathematics is NOT LIFE!!...there's far more to life than you can think!...Mathematics cannot describe emotions, thoughts, or even the randomness of human behavior....or even the flow of the day, dammit!

Same way, Mathematicians are not necessarily the most intelligent set of humans. You don't require the knowledge of algebra to be a sound neurosurgeon or the next Shakespeare....Poetry, Philosophy, arts, literature, Biology, theology are all great fields that are equally capable of producing some of the most intelligent men the world has ever known!
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by dollyptosh(m): 10:32am On Jul 05, 2012
greall1: Guy you need medical check up lol

loolz
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by MacLovington(m): 10:37am On Jul 05, 2012
Poor foundation due to poor teaching methods. Lack of self-confidence tackling the subject soon develops and fear sets in.

In year 2 in secondary (not this their JSS/SSS thing) a youth corper nearly destroyed my abilities in Maths. After just scraping maths in year 2 (despite top grades through primary school and first year in secondary), I quickly embraced further maths in year 3 (the earliest you could do additional maths then).

I did GCE o'level that same year as an external candidate. Having luckily passed all the 5 papers I enrolled (most of us in my group passed all papers) with over a year to go in secondary, confidence was very high. WASC was a doddle.

Yes, poor teachers play a big role in it.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Ubiero(f): 10:42am On Jul 05, 2012
Mathematics is my forte. I began to love mathematics in the university,my second year to be precise. Infact, my transcript shows that I scored 60 and above in all my mathematical courses except for 100level.
The idea is to move with mathematics gurus and you'll catch the fire. I remember, my friend who used to teach me micro and macro economics and econometrics as well. When the results came out, I scored so much higher than he did. Not that his score was poor becos he scored like 70 and I scored 85. Everybody was surprised.
Also, mathematics require constant practice. Everyday, solve one maths problem. Next thing you know, you wn't even stress your brain tryin to solve a particular question.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Alfredbabs(m): 10:47am On Jul 05, 2012
I think people run from maths because is more of theory. If practical mathematics is introduce, students will love it. For instance most student finnd it easy to learn construction because is more of practical. So i think calculation of volumes, areas, perimeter, bearing, etc. Should be done practically
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by dollyptosh(m): 10:47am On Jul 05, 2012
OPEYEMI AD: Maths is one of d sweetest subject, is just understanding u dnt need to memorise anything.....d more u put intrest on it d more hapier u are
abi ooo...it's always a bonus for me, gp booster
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by tunnytox(m): 10:48am On Jul 05, 2012
stepo707:
Question is why? you wanna share with us?
The teachers were bad and mean to me and many other students so I always believed maths is a hard subject. However, despite all these I'm not very bad in mathematics, my favourite areas are: trigonometry, basic simultaneous equation, shapes construction, longitude and latitude and other simple topics. I hate topics like surds, quadratic equation (especially) the hard ones, add maths, etc.
All the same I passed my SSCE maths with credit at least, bagged a degree in accounting and ICAN, I was surprised though that you really don't need much maths to be an accountant. When I was in the Uni the courses I hated most not surprisingly are SMS 101&102 ( both are add maths) till today I still don't know why as an accountant I need to know or study add maths.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by creekman(m): 10:51am On Jul 05, 2012
The reason is simple.No good teachers.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 10:51am On Jul 05, 2012
If you ask me 2+3 = ? I may not know the answer, but just say 2 naira + 3 naira, I know the answer is 5 naira for shizzle. And that's why I hate maths, cos I often think, of what value is quadratic equation to my personal growth, am sure many people cant answer that. If you can answer, you are a cyborg.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 05, 2012
violent:

You do have a very myopic view of what life is all about!..While mathematics can quantify most of the things humans do in their daily activities, it however does not necessarily cause those activities themselves to occur. Mathematics is NOT LIFE!!...there's far more to life than you can think!...Mathematics cannot describe emotions, thoughts, or even the randomness of human behavior....or even the flow of the day, dammit!

Same way, Mathematicians are not necessarily the most intelligent set of humans. You don't require the knowledge of algebra to be a sound neurosurgeon or the next Shakespeare....Poetry, Philosophy, arts, literature, Biology, theology are all great fields that are equally capable of producing some of the most intelligent men the world has ever known!

I would not want to argue with you because you lack the intellectual capacity to see things in my own light...Have you heard of order in Chaos? Heard of randomness and Probability? You are obviously the myopic one here because you have got a low insight on the nature of life and the laws that govern life on earth. Why do we die? Can you answer that? We die because our cells have been programmed not to exist beyond a particular period(Is that mathematical or poetic?)Why is there a pattern to everything you see around you? Until you begin to spend time in seclusion, until you begin to PAY ATTENTION TO DETAILS(No matter how inconsequential), Until you begin to develop your mind day in, day out you can never understand the things around you. Even the greatest philosophers, painters, musicians need to have a fundamental knowledge of mathematics to thrive in their fields. Painting is mathematical do you know that? Music is very mathematical...How the chords combine to produce a consistent, harmonious sound is mathematical...The ability for you to distinguish between right and wrong is mathematical because it is logical and if you understand the precepts of logic you will know that mathematics and logic go hand in hand. Even Fuzzy logic that is the building block of artificial intelligence is mathematical. The EEG and the ECG that record the electrical activities of the brain and the heart respectively do so using mathematical models. If your heart beat exceeds a particular rate, it ruptures a vein or an artery; the heart has to obey a mathematical rule. Have you asked yourself why EVERY SINGLE STUDENT IN COLLEGES HAS TO TAKE A COURSE IN MATHEMATICS? I did, if you went to college, you also did. DEVELOP YOUR MIND, Maybe you just might look at things and see beyond what every other person see.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 05, 2012
Alfredbabs: I think people run from maths because is more of theory. If practical mathematics is introduce, students will love it. For instance most student finnd it easy to learn construction because is more of practical. So i think calculation of volumes, areas, perimeter, bearing, etc. Should be done practically

Did you know practical mathematics is physics?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 11:01am On Jul 05, 2012
My dear old enemy, or should i say friend Mathematics!
the only subject i never bothered about reading because i already know that i don't know what to know in mathematics,
the only subject i entered an exam hall to write without any study or revision,
my sleep medicine back in school days,
the only subject that made me hate even the teacher,
Oh my dear enemy and friend! the fear of you was the beginning of my wisdom,
how can i ever forget you? i received 3 hot lashes from your teacher just because i was unable to "make x the subject of the formula"
after all i went through because of you i decided to live my life without you,
the only time i remember you now is when i count my MON£$ grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 05, 2012
I love only Matrix and Algebra. All other aspects of math can go to hell for all I care.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by ideaz: 11:06am On Jul 05, 2012
It's about MINDSET.... Many were trained to fear Maths.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by JojoArmani(m): 11:08am On Jul 05, 2012
hmmmm I didnt hate maths like dat cos there re some maths i do enjoy like making subject of formular, simuotanous equation, almighty formular, combination and permutaions and many more.
But wen it comes to dat type of maths they do draw triangle, squares and all dose maths drawing me i no follow again.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 05, 2012
Sacredcow: undecidedAlways asked to look for x

x and other letters are used as variables, unknowns in mathematics
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by misterseed(m): 11:11am On Jul 05, 2012
Your negative perception is the problem.address it by reading good books and the bible.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 05, 2012
nipeks001: Question: Paul has 100 chocolates,he ate 80.now,what does he have?
Answer: DIABETES
grin grin grin. A1 direct, in fact you no need Jamb at alllll
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by masterpiecer(m): 11:18am On Jul 05, 2012
violent:

u r very correct.
talk about likes of Leonardo da vinci, Michelangelo, Paplo picasso, Mozart, El greco, Claude monet, Van gogh, etc
these people's name would remain in sand of time forever, the peices dat Mozart created remains classic foever, now dat is a level of intellegence, likewise priceless master pieces by renowned painters- menhhhh!

when i changed my skool back in my secondary days, one my teacher defined intellegence as an aspect of ones life where you thrive most, you just have to realise it and work on ur self, dis defiles d general misconception that u most be very good in mathematics to be an intellegent person, no one can be totally intellegent, u can either be in a particular feild or two or multiple, but not total. since then i have learnt to see myself as an intellegent person being an artist, and it helped in making the person i am today.
Re: Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? by Nobody: 11:20am On Jul 05, 2012
Maths is logic....
Its about using ur brain to think..
Most people don't like to think...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hostel Named After Firdausi Amasa At Islamic Leadership Academy, Kuje / Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? / Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.