Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. (30131 Views)

The 10 Leading Family Businesses In Africa / Nigerian Naira Or Ghanaian Cedi Which Is Stronger? / Clarification: Ghana Is Not Closing Legal Nigerian Businesses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by amosy007: 9:55pm On Jul 06, 2012
afam4eva: Every country just wants to use Nigeria to shine. Nigeria is like Goliath while all these country are small but mighty. Let's hold our leaders accountable and stop disgracing ourselves outside the shores.
u said it all man! *1000 likes*
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 06, 2012
Calm down guys! Let the government address this matter in a diplomatic ways.

Though, I personally don't find Ghanaian elites intelligent they can be sometime prudent. That means, they could be fighting for something that has to do with nationalism. Nigerians can't take over the major businesses there. It is not possibly good for any nation as a whole.

However, I would conclude by saying if it served them well to close Nigerian businesses then it can as well serve the Nigerian government to withdraw its mission there.
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by neeyee88: 10:01pm On Jul 06, 2012
dadde:

off-course am using my brain. Chinese come to Nigeria becos its the largest market in Africa but most Nigerian in countries Like Ghana and CIV are seeking for favourable environment. Nigeria is a better market than Ghana any time. tell me what can you sell in Ghana that there is no better market for in Nija?

My broda, stop fooling urself, Nigeria needs to wake up. very soon Benin republic will still start to chase us out.

guy, its not d way u see it. Nigerians are everywhere in the world doing business and they are well respected as business minded people. It is very normal for a trader to go to another country to do business. Its not becos our own market is poor, its just the normal business way. There are many Americans in Canada doing business, will u say dat they r there becos the American system isnt going? No...i think the Ghanian authorities are just trying to use their prerogative. setting an investment ceiling of $300,000 is just totally ridiculous and inconceivable! How many petty traders have over 1 million naira in their business account talk less of $300000? Its a misguided move. I trust Nigeria would be diplomatic about it anyway, this is not a military era! It wont be another case of GHANA-MUST-GO! It will be GHANA-MUST-BE-REASONABLE!

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by amosy007: 10:01pm On Jul 06, 2012
dvdon: The funny thing is dat we can't retaliate in dis case cos those dumb dudes aint got any business of their own in their country talk less of Nigeria

To helll to dem.
yeah thats my pain too.. I wonder what nigeria will do with those puff puff selling ugly cocoa nigaz that wnt stop littering the street of lagoz and nairaland

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by omoghana22: 10:03pm On Jul 06, 2012
all4naija: Calm down guys! Let the government address this matter in a diplomatic ways.

Though, I personally don't find Ghanaian elites intelligent they can be sometime prudent. That means, they could be fighting for something that has to do with nationalism. Nigerians can take over the major businesses there. It is not possibly good for any nation as a whole.

However, I would conclude by saying if it served them well to close Nigerian businesses then it can as well serve the Nigerian government to withdraw its mission there.

The action taken by the Inter-Agency Task force is to ensure compliance with the GIPC Act, however the Task Force is making some exceptions for ECOWAS citizens in recognition of the ECOWAS Protocol on the right of residence and establishment. Specifically ECOWAS citizens are not being asked to have invested US$300,000.00 neither are they being asked to employ ten Ghanaians in their businesses. They are however expected to meet the same conditions that Ghanaian citizens who start businesses are expected to comply with. This means that they are required to register businesses with the Registrar General’s Department, they are required to register with the Ghana Revenue Authority and pay taxes in the same way as Ghanaians are expected to do, and because they are not our nationals they are expected to properly apply for residential status in Ghana.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by omoghana22: 10:04pm On Jul 06, 2012
amosy007:
yeah thats my pain too.. I wonder what nigeria will do with those puff puff selling ugly cocoa nigaz that wnt stop littering the street of lagoz and nairaland

[b]
The action taken by the Inter-Agency Task force is to ensure compliance with the GIPC Act, however the Task Force is making some exceptions for ECOWAS citizens in recognition of the ECOWAS Protocol on the right of residence and establishment. Specifically ECOWAS citizens are not being asked to have invested US$300,000.00 neither are they being asked to employ ten Ghanaians in their businesses. They are however expected to meet the same conditions that Ghanaian citizens who start businesses are expected to comply with. This means that they are required to register businesses with the Registrar General’s Department, they are required to register with the Ghana Revenue Authority and pay taxes in the same way as Ghanaians are expected to do, and because they are not our nationals they are expected to properly apply for residential status in Ghana.

Recently the Minister of Trade & Industry – Ms. Hanna Tetteh had the opportunity to meet a delegation from the ECOWAS Parliament, after the Nigerian Union of Traders Association in Ghana petitioned the ECOWAS Parliament informing them that the Government of Ghana was engaged in an action targeted at ECOWAS citizens. The Minister had the opportunity to inform the ECOWAS Parliament that this was not the case and that they had been misinformed, and the Ministry wishes to use this opportunity to restate that this action is not targeted at ECOWAS Citizens, but to bring sanity into the operations of foreign traders activities in Ghana.[/b]
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by Africason(m): 10:08pm On Jul 06, 2012
chipmunkey: So this is what they pay us back with after OBJ directed NNPC to supply them with 10,000 barrels of oil when they were at a brink of total economic collapse in 2009. Then 3aradua came on and upped the largese to 30,000 barrels. Bleep them black charcoal ass.
SMH... And i believe the oil was supplied for free? Some of u talk from your backside, seriously. And u believe only Nigerians were affected? It just happened that most affected were Nigerians but this problem shouldn't be trumpeted as if only Nigerian businesses were affected.

And oh, I have seen more darker Nigerians than some of these Ghanaian folks.

FYI, that minister who gave that directive is currently being put under pressure by some bigwigs. Honestly, it at times amazes me how some Naija folks spew nonsense. Teach Ghanaians lessons? Lol.. What can u do to them anyway? I also read someone saying they should send enforcers to Ghana to protect the goods.... hahahaha, now that's funny! How ignorant can some people be? You think another country can get up one day and send some troops to another sovereign state to what again? oh please!

The best remedy is to continue dialoging with the Ghanaian authorities and stop throwing tantrums and fits all over the place!
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by omoghana22: 10:09pm On Jul 06, 2012
amosy007:

NA WAOOO.......IS IT THAT THE OVER POPULATION IS DISTURBING NIGERIAN? KAI....UNA LEVEL OF THINKING THEY BEHIND THE WORLD. HABA
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jul 06, 2012
Why are Nigerians complaining?

Ghana has to protect its citizens from its overmatched neighbour, Nigeria would have done the same if the shoe was on the other foot.

At the end of the day, they're not deporting Nigerians..

Please, respect your host. grin
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by omoghana22: 10:12pm On Jul 06, 2012
IF YOU LIKE DELETE MY POST...THAT WILL NEVER CHANGE THE FOOLISH MENTALITY OF AVERAGE NIGERIAN. THANK YOU
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by amosy007: 10:13pm On Jul 06, 2012
shymmex: Why are Nigerians complaining?

Ghana has to protect its citizens from its overmatched neighbour, Nigeria would have done the same if the shoe was on the other foot.

At the end of the day, they're not deporting Nigerians..

Please, respect your host. grin
i wish they could deport them
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jul 06, 2012
@petrodolla and omoghana, can't you make any point without insults? Are u guys really academically inclined? Whether Ghana be right or wrong in this, time shall tell, but I'm sure that even the Ghananian president can't spill 300k dollars. To me, you guys are Nigerian wanna be. Please grow up guys or go spill such junks in ghanaweb or create a place for that.

@moderators, is this cedisland or nairaland?

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by SisiKill1: 10:14pm On Jul 06, 2012
So you don't have light in your house, you don't have water, your roof leaks, you have cracks in the walls. . .giving lizards, rats and squirrels free access to your living room, where they balance and watch TV with you (on the few occasions you have light). When they are done, they go to your kitchen to piss and poo in your food (after chewing your clothes to bits) knowing you can't do jack. There is no one to help you get rid of the vermin making your life miserable in your own house. In fact. . .all the exterminators you've hired to help you get rid these things only seem to empower them sef.

You get fed up and move into your friend's house. . .where there is water and light. Where the rats and lizards and squirrels fear him because they see him clearly thanks to the fact that he's got light in his house. They can't piss and poop in his food because by the time they finally find their way into his house, they are exhausted (see dude does not have the big cracks in his walls like you do). Because these vermin's know how difficult it is to enter your friend's house, they respect themselves. . .they've learn to scurry into hiding whenever they hear footsteps.

All of these makes life in your friend's house enjoyable, so enjoyable you are able to thrive. As they years go by, the memories of the vermin infested crack house you came from starts to fade away until one day, you don't even remember at all. Then you start to get all uppity. . .claiming it is because of you his house has no cracks, it is because of you he has light, it is because of you the rats scurry away in fear. . .You and only you are the reason why he is living a good life. . .Totally forgetting the reason why you moved in with him in the first place was because his LIFE WAS BETTER THAN YOURS!!!

He gets angry and kicks you and you are surprised?? Seriously??! I mean. . . really??

My people, I love them but they can be so obtuse sometimes!!
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by Africason(m): 10:15pm On Jul 06, 2012
amosy007:
Two big fo0ls indeed! And what has the business oriented Nigerians done for the country? huh? Another loud-mouth empty barrel homo-sapiens blowing hot air as usual.

Mtseewww.
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jul 06, 2012
amosy007:
i wish they could deport them

But can you allow another man take over your own house?

Nigerians make up at least 20% of Ghana's population, and control about 50% of their businesses...

That's just too much.. If I was a Ghanaian, I'd feel the same way as well.

It's their country, and they have a right to protect their interests.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 06, 2012
Akwaaba chale...

Don't mind my Nigerian brothers.. grin

Fix Nigeria, and stop dominating other people's country, period.
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jul 06, 2012
Rossikk:

My friend use your brain. This has NOTHING to do with ''developing our country''. Are Chinese in Nigeria doing business because they need to ''develop their country'' or are they here because of market saturation in China?

Nigerian business people overseas are there because they reckon they can make more profit from the greater demand in non-saturated markets like Ghana. In fact their moving abroad to make profit indicates growing economic buoyancy in Nigeria.
You are very correct.
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
I'm sorry guys I'm not trying to derail this thread, but why is it that all the Ghana folks on this thread can't even make any point without insults?

@africason, you're neither a judge nor jury in this matter, Nigeria punished BA and the UK government had to resolve the issue, just a little plug and the Ghananians will seek diplomatic resolution to the issue. Of a truth they have a right to such action which is necessitated by the Nigerian invasion but you speak as if any country is invisible. Learn to make a point without insults.
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by KINGwax(m): 10:24pm On Jul 06, 2012
dadde:

off-course am using my brain. Chinese come to Nigeria becos its the largest market in Africa but most Nigerian in countries Like Ghana and CIV are seeking for favourable environment. Nigeria is a better market than Ghana any time. tell me what can you sell in Ghana that there is no better market for in Nija?

My broda, stop fooling urself, Nigeria needs to wake up. very soon Benin republic will still start to chase us out.
i think i undstd u better, but these people are jes like the good-for-nothing britons. All they'll do is wait for the foreigners to be stable and then chase them off, taking over!
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jul 06, 2012
I love Nigeria, we're an imperialist country. grin

We've colonized almost all the countries in West Africa...

Two million Nigerian kids in Sierra Leone and Liberia.

We've colonized Gambia already.

Semi-colonized Togo and Benin already..

Millions of Nigerians in Ivory Coast..

Ghana is the next stop - we've colonized their businesses already, and we're presently making half ghana/half Naija kids at an alarming rate. grin

In the next 20 years, almost every country in West Africa will be speaking 'Nigeria' lmao..

Nigeria, we hail thee. cool

2 Likes

Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by Africason(m): 10:26pm On Jul 06, 2012
all4naija: Calm down guys! Let the government address this matter in a diplomatic ways.

Though, I personally don't find Ghanaian elites intelligent they can be sometime prudent. That means, they could be fighting for something that has to do with nationalism. Nigerians can't take over the major businesses there. It is not possibly good for any nation as a whole.

Really??! SMH And I believe the Nigerian elitist who are intelligent have propelled that country to greater heights, no? Talking of an obnoxious statement from a supposed intelligent fella...lol
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 06, 2012
@sisi-kill, such assumptions are totally wrong. Nonetheless, if Ghana be courageous enough, let them deport the Nigerians there and let's see what happens
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 06, 2012
@omoghana22, I doubt if you even have the SSCE you're talking about. Can't u just make a point without insults? Or are you demon possessed
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 06, 2012
Nigerians should learn from this.some of d business are meaningless,let them come home and run their business.every nations develop their citizens but nigeria destroy theirs.
Rossikk:

My friend use your brain. This has NOTHING to do with ''developing our country''. Are Chinese in Nigeria doing business because they need to ''develop their country'' or are they here because of market saturation in China?

Nigerian business people overseas are there because they reckon they can make more profit from the greater demand in non-saturated markets like Ghana. In fact their moving abroad to make profit indicates growing economic buoyancy in Nigeria.
Re: Ghanaian Government Closes Nigerian Businesses In Accra. by londoner: 10:34pm On Jul 06, 2012
Why is it that we are not hearing of nationals of European, Middle Eastern or Asian countries in Ghana going through the same thing under the regulation?

Petrodolla.....I love the way you keep talking about the "Ghana must go" era, but conveniently gloss over the fact that before that there was a "Nigeria must go" under Busia before that.

You say Ghanaians were deported in difficult times, but did Busia not deport Nigerians during a civil war? Did they not also leave in difficulty?

Its best not to be selective with history.

To be honest, if the two million Ghanaians in Nigeria (as you say) had their papers in order they probably would not have been deported, so yes it was in Nigeria's best interest also to deport them.

Can we honestly say that most were not actually illegal immigrants?

Anyway.......I think Ghana is unknowingly doing Nigerians a favour, we need to look inward and invest at home.

IMO, Ghanaians should be left in peace, to compete with the Chinese, Lebanese and Indians.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Naira Extends Gains As Dollar Glut Hits Market / Jim Ovia Withdraws From The World Economic Forum / If You're Owing A Loan App... What To Do.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.