Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,066 members, 7,810,987 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:04 PM

Literature/Writing Complaints Thread - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Literature/Writing Complaints Thread (43008 Views)

*~Efemena-xy Voted Literature/Writing Poster Of The Year *~ Congratulations / Literature/Writing Guidelines, Rules & Regulations / Literature/Writing Section's "Chat Central!" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Go Down)

Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by mkmyers45(m): 4:40pm On Aug 11, 2012
Cuddlemii:

Ok, I am listening! Be more explicit!

Say Example...Write a poem about Nigeria's redemption through the mind of a 5 year old - It will be bring up a lot of interesting creativity from writers as we have to think like a 5 year old would which could be difficult,say we could make it a monthly thing with Prizes attached (in future) to encourage healthy competition
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Cuddlemii: 4:55pm On Aug 11, 2012
mkmyers45:

Say Example...Write a poem about Nigeria's redemption through the mind of a 5 year old - It will be bring up a lot of interesting creativity from writers as we have to think like a 5 year old would which could be difficult,say we could make it a monthly thing with Prizes attached (in future) to encourage healthy competition

You can start up the thread since its your idea and you would do a better job conveying the message behind it. As for the prize thingy, what do you have in mind? biscuit & sweets?
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by mkmyers45(m): 5:01pm On Aug 11, 2012
Cuddlemii:

You can start up the thread since its your idea and you would do a better job conveying the message behind it. As for the prize thingy, what do you have in mind? biscuit & sweets?

grin grin grin...Something in that region...Sure you'll be a judge right? But from Season 2 i plan the prices to be loaded...Do you have any writing perspective you think we should look at? A play? What if the winning entry gets a front page?
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Cuddlemii: 5:41pm On Aug 11, 2012
mkmyers45:

grin grin grin...Something in that region...Sure you'll be a judge right? But from Season 2 i plan the prices to be loaded...Do you have any writing perspective you think we should look at? A play? What if the winning entry gets a front page?

Good write-ups get to d frontpage. You don't need a contest for that. I am clearing things if this is abt the frontpage.

Start-up a thread with all your ideas and we would take it up from there.
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by mkmyers45(m): 7:06pm On Aug 11, 2012
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by mkmyers45(m): 3:59pm On Aug 12, 2012
Cuddlemii:

Good write-ups get to d frontpage. You don't need a contest for that. I am clearing things if this is abt the frontpage.

Start-up a thread with all your ideas and we would take it up from there.

Should we reduce the contest time to end this month?
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Cuddlemii: 4:10pm On Aug 12, 2012
mkmyers45:

Should we reduce the contest time to end this month?

Lets talk here -------->https://www.nairaland.com/1003848/literature-writing-sections-chat-central

This is a complaints thread!
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 15, 2012
Cuddles. . .
Why dosnt this complaint thread stand out and stay up permanently

Kudos to your effectiveness.
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Cuddlemii: 1:21pm On Aug 15, 2012
breezy047: Cuddles. . .
Why dosnt this complaint thread stand out and stay up permanently

Kudos to your effectiveness.

Its back up! You were searching for it, right?
You haven't been around these parts. Anyways below is a thread for chatting-
https://www.nairaland.com/1003848/literature-writing-sections-chat-central
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 15, 2012
Your correct. . .
I check in once in a while though.

smiley
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Cuddlemii: 6:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
breezy047: Your correct. . .
I check in once in a while though.

smiley

Ok! Contribute more often smiley
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by EfemenaXY: 7:34pm On Aug 22, 2012
Dear Moderator,

I've got a couple of concerns here:

Firstly, why isn't this thread stuck at the top of the first page, where it'll be easily seen and readily accessible to all? I've just had to "fish" for it midway down the second page of this section.

Secondly, I and a few others have noticed that quite a number of threads here seem to belong to the Romance Section. These aren't fictional Love and Romance threads that boast of creativity. No, they're more like poorly written, cheap, tacky Nollywood scripts with flat and predictable endings.

Thirdly, what guards do we have in this section against plagiarism? Shouldn't there be some sort of warning thread here against lifting up other people's work, without fully acknowledging the source? Okay, some might claim ignorance - all the more reason to have this warning as one more "stickeyed" thread at the top of this section for all and sundry to see and enlighten themselves.

Thanks,
Efe.
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Cuddlemii: 12:40am On Aug 23, 2012
Efemena_xy: Dear Moderator,

Firstly, why isn't this thread stuck at the top of the first page, where it'll be easily seen and readily accessible to all? I've just had to "fish" for it midway down the second page of this section.

Secondly, I and a few others have noticed that quite a number of threads here seem to belong to the Romance Section. These aren't fictional Love and Romance threads that boast of creativity. No, they're more like poorly written, cheap, tacky Nollywood scripts with flat and predictable endings.

Thirdly, what guards do we have in this section against plagiarism? Shouldn't there be some sort of warning thread here against lifting up other people's work, without fully acknowledging the source? Okay, some might claim ignorance - all the more reason to have this warning as one more "stickeyed" thread at the top of this section for all and sundry to see and enlighten themselves.

Thanks,
Efe.

Really? I am surprised that you and your "few others" havent been producing these creative threads worthy of presenting from the Literature/Writing section. When I started in the this section, a lot of members complained about how dead and boring this section was despite the creativity you and your "few others" presented. My attention was also drawn to the fact that members were not motivated to visit this section or commend on the creative write-ups presented by you and your "few" others.

There was also the issue of awareness to attract more members to the section. Now, you are complaining about quality write-ups. Tell me, why certain threads or post should come off as more important than others? I thought there was nothing as perfection on here but a section free/fair for everyone to learn and participate. A lot of members have joined have started participating now, started writing poetry & stories which was not the turn out before. Is it fair to segregate some write-ups as being less creative because you and your "few others" think its that way? I hope you know some members find the write ups of you and your "few others" as being boring as well but thats their opinion. Its better to have a mix, diversity and variety in a section so that members or any lane man can relate to it & contribute.

If write-ups are not up to standard, learn to advise/encourage/motivate the writers so that next time, they would present a good write-up. I am not a robot, I have tried to cater to everyone but that would stop from now on. You want creative write-ups, present them and create the awareness yourself but I will never discourage people to express themselves in a public forum because of you and your "few others" think so.

Is plagiarism not generally bad every where? What difference does it make if a thread is created to that effect or not? People know the laws and are aware of it. Creating a thread about it won't detect it when its done nor would it stop it from happening. I take actions whenever its done. An example was during the debate session, Shymmex was disqualified for plagiarism. Another example was when a fellow exposed a member for stealing his comic story, I deleted the thread and went as far as appeasing the fellow off nl to make sure he doesn't do anything drastic. Anyways, I will see to the plagiarism issue.

Efe, if you have ways of improving the section, please do that as well. Don't expect me to do everything. I believe you and your "few others" can make a difference on your rather than just noticing it. How many of these incompetent write-ups have u reported for scrutiny?
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by EfemenaXY: 4:14am On Aug 23, 2012
Dear Moderator,

Thank you for taking the time out to provide a "very" detailed response to some of my concerns. Your points have been duly notice. Please find below my response to these:

Firstly I raised three points / areas of concern. The FIRST was to do with not having a visible complaints thread "stickyed" at the top of the first page of this section. I fail to see your response to that. Why do I mention this? Simply because most sections on Nairaland have a visible complaints thread for the users. So why is it any different in the Literature / Writing section? Or is this not meant to be an important feature of this section?

Cuddlemii:

Really? I am surprised that you and your "few others" havent been producing these creative threads worthy of presenting from the Literature/Writing section. When I started in the this section, a lot of members complained about how dead and boring this section was despite the creativity you and your "few others" presented. My attention was also drawn to the fact that members were not motivated to visit this section or commend on the creative write-ups presented by you and your "few" others.

I see you've repeated the highlighted phrase in bold several times. Was that necessary? What exactly is your point here? If you don't mind my saying so, this is akin to a personal attack and if that be the case, then what's the point of having a complaints thread? Granted, visible changes have been made to this section which have been acknowledged but you'll agree more work still needs to be done here.

There was also the issue of awareness to attract more members to the section. Now, you are complaining about quality write-ups. Tell me, why certain threads or post should come off as more important than others? I thought there was nothing as perfection on here but a section free/fair for everyone to learn and participate. A lot of members have joined have started participating now, started writing poetry & stories which was not the turn out before. Is it fair to segregate some write-ups as being less creative because you and your "few others" think its that way? I hope you know some members find the write ups of you and your few others" as being boring as well but thats their opinion. Its better to have a mix, diversity and variety in a section so that members or any lane man can relate to it & contribute.

No one's saying that thread "A" is better than thread "B", "C" or " D" here. Neither was the word perfection used to describe any posting here. You may not like my description of the quality of some threads here but that feeling has been reflected by other posters. Please don't shoot the messenger but pay heed to the message. Here's an example of what I'm referring to:

https://www.nairaland.com/1018298/im-pregnant-sisters-husband/2 (The topmost comment on page 2 mirrors majority of the comments on page 1). Now I only felt it was befitting to bring your attention to this, but since you say anything goes in this section, then I stand corrected.

If write-ups are not up to standard, learn to advise/encourage/motivate the writers so that next time, they would present a good write-up. I am not a robot, I have tried to cater to everyone but that would stop from now on. You want creative write-ups, present them and create the awareness yourself but I will never discourage people to express themselves in a public forum because of you and your "few others" think so.

I have no qualms whatsoever in making suggestions for improvement to writers regarding their work, and I too have always actively encouraged people to give me their honest opinions on what they think of my pieces. I've always believed that the learning process is a continuous thing, but that's beside the point here. The question here is: how appropriate are some of these thread in the Literature Section?? Take the family section for example, where certain threads deemed inappropriate, have been moved to the Jokes, Romance and even the sexuality sections and vise versa. But hey, if like you say anything and everything is fair game here, in the name of fairness - then so be it. You're the moderator and it's your call at the end of the day.

Is plagiarism not generally bad every where?

Yes, it is.

What difference does it make if a thread is created to that effect or not? People know the laws and are aware of it. Creating a thread about it won't detect it when its done nor would it stop it from happening. I take actions whenever its done. An example was during the debate session, Shymmex was disqualified for plagiarism. Another example was when a fellow exposed a member for stealing his comic story, I deleted the thread and went as far as appeasing the fellow off nl to make sure he doesn't do anything drastic. Anyways, I will see to the plagiarism issue.

So what exactly is your point here? Forgive me if you don't mind my saying so, but I find your first and last statements contradictory. A couple of sections I've visited on nairaland have got very clear guidelines / rules and regulations on what is expected of posters and how they ought to conduct themselves while in those sections. Take the Food, and Jokes sections for example where the rules are explicitly stated so posters can't feign ignorance. With regards to the Literature section, do you not think it's stands to reason that posters should not pass off other people's work as their own? Take a look at this thread for example:

https://www.nairaland.com/1005798/letter-sons-teacher

If you read through the comments on that thread, you'll see that the thread starter was practically "roasted alive" there for trying to pass off Abraham Lincon's work as his. Now let's give him / her the benefit of doubt on the grounds that he / she wasn't aware that trying to pass off someone else's work as thier's without acknowledging the true source is a crime in itself. Who knows, maybe if we had that as one of the possible rules and regulations to abide to in this section, that incidence may not have occurred. Merely stating that people would do it irrespective of whether we've got rules here or not is not on. Unless the message you're sending out is that people should be free to do as they please over here? If that be the case, then I stand corrected (again).

Efe, if you have ways of improving the section, please do that as well. Don't expect me to do everything. I believe you and your "few others" can make a difference on your rather than just noticing it. How many of these incompetent write-ups have u reported for scrutiny?

No one's asking or expecting you to "do everything". Yes, I agree whole heartedly with you that it's not a one-person-job. The first step to making any improvements at all, starts by people / users noticing that a change is needed. Then they make suggestions to the leader / moderator as the case may be, but those suggestions have to be made first. At the end of the day, YOU are the moderator, and users of this section look up to you to implement any changes to be made. If the suggester gets attacked for raising some points, then what really is the use of making the suggestions in the first place?

Now, that's my take on things.

Thanks,
Efe.

1 Like

Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Cuddlemii: 4:28am On Aug 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time out to provide a "very" detailed response to some of my concerns. Your points have been duly notice. Please find below my response to these:

Firstly I raised three points / areas of concern. The FIRST was to do with not having a visible complaints thread "stickyed" at the top of the first page of this section. I fail to see your response to that. Why do I mention this? Simply because most sections on Nairaland have a visible complaints thread for the users. So why is it any different in the Literature / Writing section? Or is this not meant to be an important feature of this section?

I see you've repeated the highlighted phrase in bold several times. Was that necessary? What exactly is your point here? If you don't mind my saying so, this is akin to a personal attack and if that be the case, then what's the point of having a complaints thread? Granted, visible changes have been made to this section which have been acknowledged but you'll agree more work still needs to be done here.

No one's saying that thread "A" is better than thread "B", "C" or " D" here. Neither was the word perfection used to describe any posting here. You may not like my description of the quality of some threads here but that feeling has been reflected by other posters. Please don't shoot the messenger but pay heed to the message. Here's an example of what I'm referring to:

https://www.nairaland.com/1018298/im-pregnant-sisters-husband/2 (The topmost comment on page 2 mirrors majority of the comments on page 1). Now I only felt it was befitting to bring your attention to this, but since you say anything goes in this section, then I stand corrected.

I have no qualms whatsoever in making suggestions for improvement to writers regarding their work, and I too have always actively encouraged people to give me their honest opinions on what they think of my pieces. I've always believed that the learning process is a continuous thing, but that's beside the point here. The question here is: how appropriate are some of these thread in the Literature Section?? Take the family section for example, where certain threads deemed inappropriate, have been moved to the Jokes, Romance and even the sexuality sections and vise versa. But hey, if like you say anything and everything is fair game here, in the name of fairness - then so be it. You're the moderator and it's your call at the end of the day.

Yes, it is.

So what exactly is your point here? Forgive me if you don't mind my saying so, but I find your first and last statements contradictory. A couple of sections I've visited on nairaland have got very clear guidelines / rules and regulations on what is expected of posters and how they ought to conduct themselves while in those sections. Take the Food, and Jokes sections for example where the rules are explicitly stated so posters can't feign ignorance. With regards to the Literature section, do you not think it's stands to reason that posters should not pass off other people's work as their own? Take a look at this thread for example:

https://www.nairaland.com/1005798/letter-sons-teacher

If you read through the comments on that thread, you'll see that the thread starter was practically "roasted alive" there for trying to pass off Abraham Lincon's work as his. Now let's give him / her the benefit of doubt on the grounds that he / she wasn't aware that trying to pass off someone else's work as thier's without acknowledging the true source is a crime in itself. Who knows, maybe if we had that as one of the possible rules and regulations to abide to in this section, that incidence may not have occurred. Merely stating that people would do it irrespective of whether we've got rules here or not is not on. Unless the message you're sending out is that people should be free to do as they please over here? If that be the case, then I stand corrected (again).

No one's asking or expecting you to "do everything". Yes, I agree whole heartedly with you that it's not a one-person-job. The first step to making any improvements at all, starts by people / users noticing that a change is needed. Then they make suggestions to the leader / moderator as the case may be, but those suggestions have to be made first. At the end of the day, YOU are the moderator, and users of this section look up to you to implement any changes to be made. If the suggester gets attacked for raising some points, then what really is the use of making the suggestions in the first place?

Thanks,
Efe.

You have made your point.

I am still trying to figure out how this topic & your post--->(https://www.nairaland.com/1025957/whats-remedy-cold-raining-season) is literary in nature. I am surprised you didn't include this in your list of complaint for someone who is looking for quality topics on a literary thread. Nigerians are bunch of hypocrites, they criticize what doesn't suit them and simply accept what goes well in their system. Whats the difference between this topic https://www.nairaland.com/1018298/im-pregnant-sisters-husband/2 and the topic you were describing your family routine?

If a thread doesn't go well with you simple ignore it, other members with different preferences might like it. A lot of members commented on the pregnancy thread & asked the poster to keep writing. Everyone should be allowed to express themselves just like the irrelevant family history you gave on the raining season thread. I still can't reconcile your family episode with literature but I didn't close the thread because freedom of expression is what I strongly believe in & I would never deprive anyone of that. I don't mind leaving than stopping members from being themselves.

Thanks.
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by kpolli(m): 4:54am On Aug 23, 2012
Cuddlemii:

Thanks.

Wow, u must be a genius cos u saw the point and I fail to see it too
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by kpolli(m): 5:04am On Aug 23, 2012

Thanks,
Efe.

I fail to see what ur complaining about. . . You open one thread here and mainly open in the jokes section. . . so cos of that one thread, u feel u can come and set up rules here. . . Come up with example threads and let it not gather audience b4 u can start pointing fingers. . . Person dey try transform this once dead place, ur coming to hate on her. . . . What are you complaining about romance ppl coming here for. . . Haven't you noticed that is the booming section in NL, so if you wanna get your section booming you wud need to attract "the market". . .

Do something creative and stop blaming the moderator for not ensuring quality threads are opened here. . .

2 Likes

Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by EfemenaXY: 8:49am On Aug 23, 2012
Dear Moderator (?)

Thank you for your speedy response to my post. This is well appreciated, thanks.

Unfortunately, I do not see your response to two, out of the three points I raised, in your response.

~ Re: Having the complaints thread "stickyed" at the top page of this section. I see that it's now been stuck up there, so I guess my suggestion was taken onboard (many thanks for that) - but it would have been "nicer" to acknowledge that my concern on this has now been addressed - don't you agree?

~ Re: Plagarism - No further comments from you on this, so I'm assuming it's work-in-progress? Again, it would have been a lot nicer to have had this point acknowledged in your latest response to my post.

Cuddlemii:

I am still trying to figure out how this topic & your post--->(https://www.nairaland.com/1025957/whats-remedy-cold-raining-season) is literary in nature. I am surprised you didn't include this in your list of complaint for someone who is looking for quality topics on a literary thread. Nigerians are bunch of hypocrites, they criticize what doesn't suit them and simply accept what goes well in their system. Whats the difference between this topic https://www.nairaland.com/1018298/im-pregnant-sisters-husband/2 and the topic you were describing your family routine?

~ Nope, you're dead right here, I'll concede to that. I too don't see anything literary about that thread either and guess what? Going by the comments on that thread, I sincerely wish (in retrospect), that I'd never made any comments on it as it seems to have taken a sexual nature. And no, that doesn't go well in my system (whatever that's meant to mean). But it doesn't stop you from moving it to the appropriate section, does it? And who says I was describing my family routine there? I gave a couple of suggestions in response to the question asked so please don't make it personal. I'd like to believe where adults here, and not kids throwing emotional tantrums at each other in a bid to "score" points?

Cuddlemii: If a thread doesn't go well with you simple ignore it, other members with different preferences might like it. A lot of members commented on the pregnancy thread & asked the poster to keep writing. Everyone should be allowed to express themselves just like the irrelevant family history you gave on the raining season thread. I still can't reconcile your family episode with literature but I didn't close the thread because freedom of expression is what I strongly believe in & I would never deprive anyone of that. I don't mind leaving than stopping members from being themselves.

Thanks.

Here we go again at repeated attempts to turn a factual discussion to a personal, emotional attack. Not that I'm fazed by it one bit as it in no way describes my personal life, but that's beside the point. Like I mentioned earlier, it's up to the mod to decide how relevant a thread is in a particular section. I'd like to believe that Nairaland is split into different sections for a reason?? But if as you say, anything and everything is game here, in the name of fairness - then so be it. I stand corrected.

Thanks,
Efe.
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by maclatunji: 9:29am On Aug 23, 2012
Oh dear! Two of my favourite people on Literature section are having a "fight". In as much as reading the two of you having a go at each other would be so much fun, I have to step-in here before it gets out of hand. Forgive me, but I think it is a women's ego thing.

Most of my criticism will go to Cuddlemii. Now, you know you are a sweetheart and have done great things for this section but you have to be more tolerant of criticism even if you feel it is unfair. Why? You have powers to do things here, Efemena and other users don't. All we can do is to complain and make suggestions.

If you have implemented some of her suggestions, acknowledge them, thank her for making them and move on. If there are suggestions that she has made that you will not accept, politely point them out and give reasons for rejecting them if you so wish but don't respond by criticising her work or person in replying her complaints.

@Efemena. You know each one of us has a perception attached to our handles. Everybody including Cuddlemii knows you are a very gifted and talented writer. Hence, you have some clout around here. You shouldn't be surprised that Cuddlemii has reacted the way she has because at times in your initial post, it seemed as if you were writing like a "superior" officer telling-off a subordinate. That has rubbed-off Cuddlemii the wrong way.

As a writer, you could have made your complaints in a much more subtle manner that wouldn't have bruised Cuddlemii's ego and triggered-off her kind of reactions so far. The motive for making your complaints was to make a positive change I am sure. Hence, your writing should make it clear to your primary reader that your intentions are pure and noble.

Summary
Moderator should genuinely look into complainant's observations whilst complainant should be a little bit more patient with moderator because you both want the growth and progress of this section.

Now, the two of you should have one big e-hug and move on as friends nay sisters. cheesy

Warm regards,

Maclatunji
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by EfemenaXY: 9:30am On Aug 23, 2012
@ KpolliAre you one of the moderators of this section?

If not, then I fail to see how my post concerns you. But let's address the points you've raised:

kpolli:

I fail to see what ur complaining about. . .

Kindly read through my post again ... slowly this time. Then you'll see the three areas of concern I raised. But if it helps, I'll summarize them here just for you.

~ Non visible complaint's thread

~ Relevance of posts

~ Plagiarism

Now does this help in making it clearer to you?

kpolli: You open one thread here and mainly open in the jokes section. . . so cos of that one thread, u feel u can come and set up rules here. . .

Ever heard the saying "quality not quantity"? If not, then I suggest you google it. Re: setting up rules here - no, that's not my responsibility nor that of any poster here. It's the responsibility of the moderator. What contributors can and should be encouraged to do if give suggestions on how to make the section even better. Rules, guidelines, or whatever you choose to call them are necessary so that people know what is acceptable and what isn't. I gave a valid example of a thread here where the thread starter made use of a well known write-up from Abraham Lincoln without acknowledging the source - and was literally "skinned" for it by other posters. That is called PLAGIARISM and should be actively discouraged, especially in a section as this. This is just one example of what we could have up here as the "Don'ts", but I see you disagree with this. So kindly give your reasons for that sir.

kpolli: Come up with example threads and let it not gather audience b4 u can start pointing fingers. . .

Again read through my post slowly, please. I'm not going to waste any more of my precious time explaining what's already been explained and furnished with examples.

kpolli: Person dey try transform this once dead place, ur coming to hate on her. . . .

Pray, do tell sir - what's hateful about what I've posted so far?? Hmmm? Unlike you, I've stuck to facts and not gotten carried away by emotional outbursts. You either show me explicitly where I've expressed hatred to the moderator, or you keep you peace. Thanks.

kpolli: What are you complaining about romance ppl coming here for. . . Haven't you noticed that is the booming section in NL, so if you wanna get your section booming you wud need to attract "the market". . .

Oh please do me a favour and quit try to pull some tacky traffic-generating-publicity stunts here! This has got nothing to do with people from the romance section, neither is it a Romance section versus Literature Section, so I'm hard pressed to understand where you pulled that one out from. If you're hoping for a slanging match just to pull in traffic here, you'll be disappointed. I don't play such games, thank you very much.

kpolli: Do something creative and stop blaming the moderator for not ensuring quality threads are opened here. . .

Contrary to what you choose to believe, no one is being blamed here. Rather the complaints thread is being utilized to complain / report / highlight issues (take your pick) that are of concern. Whether these are upheld or not is an entirely different matter.
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by EfemenaXY: 9:52am On Aug 23, 2012
maclatunji: Oh dear! Two of my favourite people on Literature section are having a "fight". In as much as reading the two of you having a go at each other would be so much fun, I have to step-in here before it gets out of hand. Forgive me, but I think it is a women's ego thing.

Nooooo nah! I'm not trying to have a fight, but simply putting across areas of concern I've had regarding this section. And it's not a women's ego thing either...well, not from me sha! smiley

maclatunji: Most of my criticism will go to Cuddlemii. Now, you know you are a sweetheart and have done great things for this section but you have to be more tolerant of criticism even if you feel it is unfair. Why? You have powers to do things here, Efemena and other users don't. All we can do is to complain and make suggestions.

If you have implemented some of her suggestions, acknowledge them, thank her for making them and move on. If there are suggestions that she has made that you will not accept, politely point them out and give reasons for rejecting them if you so wish but don't respond by criticising her work or person in replying her complaints.

Now how do you say "Thank you" in the major dialects asides Youruba? Eshe kpo kpor! (yoruba) grin grin

You've eloquently expressed my thought! smiley wink

maclatunji: @Efemena. You know each one of us has a perception attached to our handles. Everybody including Cuddlemii knows you are a very gifted and talented writer. Hence, you have some clout around here. You shouldn't be surprised that Cuddlemii has reacted the way she has because at times in your initial post, it seemed as if you were writing like a "superior" officer telling-off a subordinate. That has rubbed-off Cuddlemii the wrong way.

Now you've got me giggling uncontrollably here! grin grin grin

Okay, I get what you say and it's been duly noted. I'll tone it down next time. Cuddlemi, sorry if it rubbed off you the wrong way. No harm intended.

maclatunji: As a writer, you could have made your complaints in a much more subtle manner that wouldn't have bruised Cuddlemii's ego and triggered-off her kind of reactions so far. The motive for making your complaints was to make a positive change I am sure. Hence, your writing should make it clear to your primary reader that your intentions are pure and noble.

Okay, noted. I'll be er...more subtle next time. Thanks, Mac. smiley

maclatunji: Summary
Moderator should genuinely look into complainant's observations whilst complainant should be a little bit more patient with moderator because you both want the growth and progress of this section.

Now, the two of you should have one big e-hug and move on as friends nay sisters. cheesy

Warm regards,

Maclatunji
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by kpolli(m): 2:46pm On Aug 23, 2012
Efemena_xy: @ KpolliAre you one of the moderators of this section?

If not, then I fail to see how my post concerns you. But let's address the points you've raised:

Kindly read through my post again ... slowly this time. Then you'll see the three areas of concern I raised. But if it helps, I'll summarize them here just for you.

~ Non visible complaint's thread

~ Relevance of posts

~ Plagiarism

Now does this help in making it clearer to you?

Ever heard the saying "quality not quantity"? If not, then I suggest you google it. Re: setting up rules here - no, that's not my responsibility nor that of any poster here. It's the responsibility of the moderator. What contributors can and should be encouraged to do if give suggestions on how to make the section even better. Rules, guidelines, or whatever you choose to call them are necessary so that people know what is acceptable and what isn't. I gave a valid example of a thread here where the thread starter made use of a well known write-up from Abraham Lincoln without acknowledging the source - and was literally "skinned" for it by other posters. That is called PLAGIARISM and should be actively discouraged, especially in a section as this. This is just one example of what we could have up here as the "Don'ts", but I see you disagree with this. So kindly give your reasons for that sir.

Again read through my post slowly, please. I'm not going to waste any more of my precious time explaining what's already been explained and furnished with examples.

Pray, do tell sir - what's hateful about what I've posted so far?? Hmmm? Unlike you, I've stuck to facts and not gotten carried away by emotional outbursts. You either show me explicitly where I've expressed hatred to the moderator, or you keep you peace. Thanks.

Oh please do me a favour and quit try to pull some tacky traffic-generating-publicity stunts here! This has got nothing to do with people from the romance section, neither is it a Romance section versus Literature Section, so I'm hard pressed to understand where you pulled that one out from. If you're hoping for a slanging match just to pull in traffic here, you'll be disappointed. I don't play such games, thank you very much.

Contrary to what you choose to believe, no one is being blamed here. Rather the complaints thread is being utilized to complain / report / highlight issues (take your pick) that are of concern. Whether these are upheld or not is an entirely different matter.

If you think I have the time to analyze the story u just typed ur joking. . . . Not a mod, just happy to see a mod doing his/her duty. . . But seems the ppl who reside here are not happy, well now she is no longer a mod, u can apply n take over n let this place go back to its former glory. . . . By the way, I believe if u had so many quality stories, ur thread won't just be 2 pages long. . . . undecided
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by EfemenaXY: 4:00pm On Aug 23, 2012
kpolli:

If you think I have the time to analyze the story u just typed ur joking. . . . Not a mod, just happy to see a mod doing his/her duty. . . But seems the ppl who reside here are not happy, well now she is no longer a mod, u can apply n take over n let this place go back to its former glory. . . . By the way, I believe if u had so many quality stories, ur thread won't just be 2 pages long. . . . undecided

You asked me some questions, I responded to you. If you find reading my response to your questions too much of an effort, then don't ask, okay?

Besides, my complaints / suggestions where directed to the moderator, not you.

I understand you find detailed responses beyond your comprehensive abilities, re: your comment in bold. Here's a comment from the thread you've been supporting:

obailala:

When u want to hide something from a black man, put it in writing. undecided undecided

https://www.nairaland.com/1018298/im-pregnant-sisters-husband

I think this sums you up quite nicely, don't you? Feel free to respond to this post, however I'm done with you and won't be wasting any more of time bothering to reply you.

Thanks.
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Pharoh: 1:05am On Aug 24, 2012
Hmm i saw this coming when cuddlemii replied but hope it doesn't go worse from here. Jeez and i was thinking that things could get better only to notice that she is no longer a mod in this section anymore. I hope she did not resign because of this little banter but hope we all learn some lessons on how to pass our message across properly next time.

@Cuddie

[size=2pt]Hit up if you want to talk okay[/size] . . . cool
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by maclatunji: 7:09am On Aug 24, 2012
^ I think it's terrible that she resigned. I am hoping that she will reconsider and come back as moderator. She needs to understand that it is not everyone that criticises you that hates you neither is it everyone that praises you that truly loves you.
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Nobody: 10:56am On Aug 24, 2012
maclatunji: ^ I think it's terrible that she resigned. I am hoping that she will reconsider and come back as moderator. She needs to understand that it is not everyone that criticises you that hates you neither is it everyone that praises you that truly loves you.

I do not feel Cuddles resigned MAINLY becuz of this little Jumbo up here. . .
I sense its been there as consideration in her mind all along for some time now and this scenario only provided her the perfect opportunity to opt out.

I would OPENLY say that you cannot be in a position as effective as that which cuddles held and not hope to have people who will be willing to bring you all sorts of frustration.

Efemena_xy has clearly been a PEST here. . .

But i hope Cuddles learns from this aswell. . .
In every sphere of your field you dont allow these little emotions override your POSITION, vision and effectiveness.

So where's the parry gonna be at to celebrate this eventfull retirement from office
grin
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by maclatunji: 11:18am On Aug 24, 2012
breezy047:

I do not feel Cuddles resigned MAINLY becuz of this little Jumbo up here. . .
I sense its been there as consideration in her mind all along for some time now and this scenario only provided her the perfect opportunity to opt out.

I would OPENLY say that you cannot be in a position as effective as that which cuddles held and not hope to have people who will be willing to bring you all sorts of frustration.

Efemena_xy has clearly been a PEST here. . .

But i hope Cuddles learns from this aswell. . .
In every sphere of your field you dont allow these little emotions override your POSITION, vision and effectiveness.

So where's the parry gonna be at to celebrate this eventfull retirement from office
grin

She needs to toughen-up. This is perhaps the mildest section on Nairaland, she should not back-down from a project she clearly had lofty plans for. I don't think Efemena has been that bad as a critic. It is just a misunderstanding, or is there something else I don't know about?
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Nobody: 12:15pm On Aug 24, 2012
maclatunji:

She needs to toughen-up. This is perhaps the mildest section on Nairaland, she should not back-down from a project she clearly had lofty plans for. I don't think Efemena has been that bad as a critic. It is just a misunderstanding, or is there something else I don't know about?

Bruva
Efemena does not come across as a constructive critic. She featured as a destructive and devastative critic grin

Clearly she had a mission up her broad sleeves and she knew exactly what she was doing.

First she came here and launched a complaint comprising 3 sinister plots and the 1st point was:

Thanks,
Efe.

Cuddles then came swiftly and being the emotional type responded in a long emotional letter. . .but the most important thing was that point 1 was solved immediately. . .the complaint thread came back up.

but EFE still came back and replied with:

Thanks,
Efe.

The complaints thread was back up. Thats whats important. . .Her problem was solved but EFE still needed an unnecessary response from the moderator. She still needed the moderator to explain why it had not been up in the past. This is where it began to go beyond mere criticism.

When you go around like EFE did to STRESS and DISTURB issues that are already solved, gone and forgotten and you still engage them over again all in the name of criticism. . .That is when you clearly become a PEST.

Before it gets out of hand perhaps EFE would need to check herself properly and understand what I'm saying here becuz thats the only way she can improve.

But Cuddles sef too dey emotional o. . . I could have sworn I read baby TEARS in her replies. grin grin

MAC I agree its very possible there was something else behind EFE's persistent ATTACK that WE may not know about.

I hereby NOMIMATE EFEMENA_XY as a candidate for the new moderator of this section grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by maclatunji: 12:30pm On Aug 24, 2012
^Oh dear!
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Tgirl4real(f): 1:57pm On Aug 24, 2012
Oh dear! sad
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 24, 2012
Oh dear! grin
Re: Literature/Writing Complaints Thread by Pharoh: 6:21pm On Aug 24, 2012
Oh dear! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41)

Outrageous Books You Won’t Believe Actually Exist / 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide / Fierce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.