Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,052 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? (28684 Views)

Watch University Lecturer Flogging Students (video) / Married In School, Single At Home In Nigeria Universities. / Nicknames Your Teachers Were Given In School And How They Earned It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Eltonluigi(m): 2:09pm On Jul 08, 2012
Many children learn abusive behavour from their parents, and they grow up abusing their own children . Thus, the abusive behaviour is transmitted across generations.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Castos(m): 2:13pm On Jul 08, 2012
grin
Yorisb:

As the tune/dance changes, so will the dancer. . . .grin
So you knew;-) grin
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by ssii: 2:27pm On Jul 08, 2012
Kids have to learn discipline from home, they need to know that if they break the laws and are disobedient they get punished. There are different ways they can be punished, flogging is certainly one of it. Though it should not be overdone or done out of anger. I rarely flog my kids, but I have cains and I flog them once in a while to really drive my point home. At other times I tell them to kneel down , but most times I talk to them. I tell you, most times they don't repeat what you've flogged them about. I don't think there is anything wrong with floging, as long as it is done gently and out of love, and does not injure the child. Withdrawing a child or going to harass a teacher who flogged your child in school, it's way out of it.What did the child do that he was flogged? If any of my children comes back home to say they were flogged, I ask what they did wrong and I rebuke them again myself, warning them not to repeat.I hope we don't turn out adults tomorrow who are wayward, unruly and irresponsible. Proverbs says foolishness is bound in a child, but the rod of correction will drive it far from him.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Biggysmalls919(m): 2:43pm On Jul 08, 2012
i think the level one belongs to is what makes some parents flog a child. In 9jria, the poorer familes do it a lot and virtually all public schools. U don't have such in int'l schools and first class private schools in nigeria. I hope they can pass a law prohibiting such slavery acts.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Ninilowo(m): 2:57pm On Jul 08, 2012
Any one that fighs because his child was flogged doesnt know the harm he is doing to the cchild. it is this white stuff that is spoiling the world. all great minds in nigeria were once flogged in school. see what we have in our societies now rotten children with lack of manners. those teachers that beat us are still fondly remember and if u afree with me they are the ones that we remember most cos they ve imacted so much on us. GOD BLESS MY EVER FLOGGING TEACHER.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by boyendowed(m): 3:01pm On Jul 08, 2012
Reyginus: Flogging a child will not make him/her a better citizen or person.The touts and scalywags on our streets today passed through the same lashing routine,yet, nothing to justify the stroking they received.I believe communication is the key.Their is nothing as good as pointing to a child the effects of whatever ill he/she committed and advising on the proper thing to do

Good comment.You just spoke my mind.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by isalegan2: 3:02pm On Jul 08, 2012
Homar: Reminds me of our principal in jss d guy too flog . When him begin chase people and them be de run away and mumu me follow but i no no where he dey follow come from na so i jump window land for him front . D kind flogging wey i recieve that day na die . But i loved d agric teacher cause instead of flogging d hell out of us he would send us to his plot of land to farm and while farming and after we go begin look for fruits bush meat etc .

cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by BaBaMike: 3:22pm On Jul 08, 2012
How come everyone today is too much of a pussy to smack their kids around? That's what I want to know: why are parents afraid to cane their kids.... As in Pànkere their kids??
Yorùbá bible says…. Ẹ́jē ki àmā nā àwọn ọmọ wa nitòri àyà ọmọde ni were di si,,ẹgba la o fi tu.
As a christian,the bible is my manual,it is written that if we spare the rod we spoil the child. God shall not let Pànkere (cane) depart from my home,for use on my children & my grandchildren. Pànkere was used on my parents they turned out well, Pànkere was used on me like hell i turn out well, i used it on my children and they turned out well so i can not see any evil in caning.
But if u live in Western World. better not ok later the kids call police and u'll be farked grin

Ọmọ ti óbi ba fèran ni óbi ún bàwi.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by bohboh275(m): 3:24pm On Jul 08, 2012
Yorisb: Not entirely a bad thing, however, there are several other ways a child could be ultra-disciplined without using a ''Koboko''.

I agree with you but like what other way? I guess like taking games away from them.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Exponental(m): 3:30pm On Jul 08, 2012
Its not actually by flogging, but by disciplining d child, letting d child realise d reason he has been beaten.

I once was used 2 beatin my aunty's daughter den, not until she INTENSIONALLY PROVOKED ME, WENT 4 D CANE & HANDED IT OVER TO ME. Ever since, I stopped beating her n we hardly issues.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by poj(m): 3:33pm On Jul 08, 2012
Wow, just finished teaching smthn related (punishment). D truth is flogging shud be discouraged to forestal its abuse. A little amount of it is no doubt corrective. My 2yrs old child sef dey chop small small beating.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Ramcie(f): 3:37pm On Jul 08, 2012
Flogging didn't prevent me from doing what I wanted to do ,be it good or bad. My parents never flogged me but my 2 siblings flogged the living daylight out of me ( Y EVILS) . grin . My mums mouth alone is worse than flogging , they need to employ her to discipline kids with her mouth. I hated her then I thought I was adopted at a point in time. Now, I treasure and adore her. Luv u Maama kiss
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by bregeard(m): 3:40pm On Jul 08, 2012
i fink there r beta ways u discipline a child...i received a lot of koboko wen i was young but me myself dnt like floggn cos,u wastn ur energy,the more u flog ur child d more dey get stronga..nd d next time u flog dem..even a drop of water wnt fall 4rm their eyes.even in d quran..d only time u r allowed to beat ur child is wen d child has clockd d age 10 nd 4gets to go 2 d mosque nd pray..den u can flog him but nt too much o like we nigerians do...i thnk punishments beta...(frog jump,ride okada,stoop down,monkey suck banana)..so i dnt like d idea of floggn..it rubbish 2 me
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by asudan: 3:40pm On Jul 08, 2012
stagger: Koboko!

Always the way forward for stubborn children.
if your child is stubborn,no matter how u flog,he/she will remain dat way.it is beta to adopt other strict measures than floging
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by asudan: 3:42pm On Jul 08, 2012
alaoeri: As far as am concern don spare the rod and spoil the child infact most of my bad childhood behaviour was corrected with canes, i mean real beating which am greatful today. Its depend on how u view it.
it is not true.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by mu2sa2: 3:42pm On Jul 08, 2012
If u flog a child repeatedly he/she gets used to it thus defeating the purpose (right or wrong)of inflicting the pain. Why then engage in a futile exercise.Floging anybody is cruelty, whether it's parent on child, indisciplined soldier/MOPOL on civilian or teacher on pupil.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Chaydee(m): 3:46pm On Jul 08, 2012
Exponental: Its not actually by flogging, but by disciplining d child, letting d child realise d reason he has been beaten.

I once was used 2 beatin my aunty's daughter den, not until she INTENSIONALLY PROVOKED ME, WENT 4 D CANE & HANDED IT OVER TO ME. Ever since, I stopped beating her n we hardly issues.
God save u that u didn't proceed by flogging her, am sure she must have planned something devilish 4u grin grin grin
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Super1759: 3:47pm On Jul 08, 2012
[quote auth ;Dor=Ramcie]Flogging didn 't prevent me from doing what I wanted to do ,be it good or bad. My parents never flogged me but my 2 siblings flogged the living daylight out of me ( Y EVILS) . grin . My mums mouth alone is worse than flogging , they need to employ her to discipline kids with her mouth. I hated her then I thought I was adopted at a point in time. Now, I treasure and adore her. Luv u Maama kiss[/quote]...hhahahahahahahahahahahahha

grin grin grin grin
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Super1759: 3:50pm On Jul 08, 2012
mu2sa2: If u flog a child repeatedly he/she gets used to it thus defeating the purpose (right or wrong)of inflicting the pain. Why then engage in a futile exercise.Floging anybody is cruelty, whether it's parent on child, indisciplined soldier/MOPOL on civilian or teacher on pupil.
......so u were not flog through out your childhood?
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by asudan: 3:52pm On Jul 08, 2012
black_beau: Unfortunately,africans don't seem to realize that our temparament and behaviour is different ffom that of the americans. The same thing that would make an american cry would not really faze an african.so,when I see nigerians copy americans unnecessarily,its annoying. Flogging is one of the best ways to correct the nigerian child. For those of you saying communication and interaction works better,I'd like to ask you this question: was there ever a time when you did something wrong as a kid and your parents corrected you with a speech and later,you were faced with the same situation,pls can you tell us your reaction? I'm sure you said to yourself,let me do it afterall,all my parents will do is to talk. Anyway,I was caned as a kid and I'm happy because it has helped shape my life a lot. As for my kids,I will cane them to discipline them but the key is to know when to cane and when to hold back.
you r wrong here.my neighbour's child is a thief today after much floging.Floging is meant for slaves as it was practice during 50's before independence.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Dipwater(m): 3:54pm On Jul 08, 2012
I don't think flogging a child wuldnt make him/her change for good.ican still remember those stewpid and wicked teachers that flogged me 4 no reason ,it got to an extent dat I developed a tough skin and flogging wus like bread and butter to me ,I went to school late and I knew I wuld be flogged so it wus nothing to me and my friends ,girls respected us and saw us as hard bois.it got to the level of our principal inviting military men to come and discipline us,instead of changing our ways we got worst . but the day change came wus the day our princpal invited a military rev father that gave us the discipline of our life .he made us sat on the wall 4 more than 6 hours .come and see how tough bois were crying like babies dat punishment actually shaped my life

At home my mum wuld nag and flogg ,she brought us up dat way but it didn't change anybody .the fear of my dad wuz the beginning of wisdom if u misbehave no tv for us ,dat means we wuldnot watch voltron,superted,birdman, jimbo,robinhood and the rest of them and dat kinda helped to change us too

So I don't think flogging a child is the best .well wat works 4 child A might not work 4 child B
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Biggysmalls919(m): 3:56pm On Jul 08, 2012
I just have to add this. Do u know hw many kids have died or gotten permanent disability due to injury suffered to the tender skin? Recently a parent flogged a 2year old to death and nw he has been jailed. So keep tourturing ur kids and see whether they will be better or worst
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by asudan: 3:57pm On Jul 08, 2012
Ideevic: It Is good to use cane on children. because God instruct parents 2 do so.'spare d rod n spoil d child.too,d rod i.e cane drive out away foolish frm a child'heart'prov.10:13; 13:24; 26:3
God didn't say use cane to drive out foolish.spared d rod doesn't mean using cane to flog
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by amy2882: 3:58pm On Jul 08, 2012
Spare the rod and spoil the child..simple truth!
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Biola4u(m): 4:13pm On Jul 08, 2012
Just like you are entitled to your own believe, you are entitled to your say too.
If you think flogging a kid will make him or her change, then you're yet to meet the real stubborn ones. You need to see my childhood to believe that. And with the type of school i attented, i turned professional and do whatever i feel like so long the worst they can do is flog me.
Most of this kids don't know the effect of what they do at time. All we have to do is show them what is right from wrong, and why too, cos the stubborn ones will want to try out the wrong(i used to call it adventure). They have the right to choose too.
And if they decide to choose the wrong, punishment is better. Like my secondary school days, it took my principal time to discover i hate disgrace. And when he found out, he will always disgraced me in front of the WHOLE SCHOOL(girls included) whenever i cross a line.
All you have to do is find your kid's weak point(we all have) and use it to control him/her.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by 2gbasky22(m): 4:17pm On Jul 08, 2012
Ojosaac: If u flog a child abroad, you would be charged for child abuse but in Nigeria... Na reverse. Him papa/mama go thank u well. Naija i hail thee.

my bros na everything we go copy from oyinbo?
I mean dis is naija we have our own perculiarities.........abi u don 4get spear d rode spoil the child?
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by McCoy91(m): 4:31pm On Jul 08, 2012
I don't think anyone is entirely right by saying flogging 'has made me what I am today'. Granted the positive effects cannot be disconted, there are quite a few neagtive ones. You see some kids who have experienced too much of it growing up to become timid or with other issues. Also, like someone pointed out, most of the touts on the streets were probably flogged all through their childhoods.
There are several other ways of discipling children and not just always reaching for the cane. You need to see the way some parents lay into their kids 'out of love'.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by freecocoa(f): 4:34pm On Jul 08, 2012
Flogging should be done moderately,i don't support not flogging at all.

If my children F up,sure strokes of the cane awaits them.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jul 08, 2012
I'm gonna tell you guys a story:
There was this boy, he never was any good in math and so was flogged for every exam he failed and every question asked in class that he got wrong. His dad flogged him for failing math, mercilessly. And so the child developed a method whereby he crammed every formula right before writing a math exam. But the only thing wrong with that method was that after he submitted his paper, he completely forgot everything he crammed. But that didn't concern him, what did was avoiding his teachers' and father's canes.
He continued with this method, reading to pass and not to learn, managing to pass and avoid the cane until he finished with secondary school. His first year of university was hell, because he couldn't understand one word of his math 101 professor, and so he failed math. But then the professor talked to him and advised him to stop reading to pass but to read to learn. Which he then did, but that was after going back to his SS1 math textbooks and read them again.
That boy is me. "Spare the rod and spoil the child." My father and math teachers quoted that to me everytime they flogged me, and I must say that the reverse was the case. Had they sat me down and talked to me like my Math 101 prof. did, what happened wouldn't have.

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 08, 2012
Biggysmalls919: i think the level one belongs to is what makes some parents flog a child. In 9jria, the poorer familes do it a lot and virtually all public schools. U don't have such in int'l schools and first class private schools in nigeria. I hope they can pass a law prohibiting such slavery acts.
_
I love your signature.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Jeze: 5:17pm On Jul 08, 2012
black_beau: Unfortunately,africans don't seem to realize that our temparament and behaviour is different ffom that of the americans. The same thing that would make an american cry would not really faze an african.so,when I see nigerians copy americans unnecessarily,its annoying. Flogging is one of the best ways to correct the nigerian child. For those of you saying communication and interaction works better,I'd like to ask you this question: was there ever a time when you did something wrong as a kid and your parents corrected you with a speech and later,you were faced with the same situation,pls can you tell us your reaction? I'm sure you said to yourself,let me do it afterall,all my parents will do is to talk. Anyway,I was caned as a kid and I'm happy because it has helped shape my life a lot. As for my kids,I will cane them to discipline them but the key is to know when to cane and when to hold back.
My sister your are too much for this your comment.We Nigerians should be very careful with the way we copy this oyinbo people oh, flogging kids as a way to correct him/her is part of our culture and many of us would have taken into a life of crime if not for the cane and then the piece advice that followed afterwords. I live abroad now, but i still cane my nephew if he misbehaves because i believed its the way to train-up an African child.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by lekanfahd(m): 5:26pm On Jul 08, 2012
To be sincere, i think flogging with moderation is ok. Sometimes kids get tough and resistant to flogging for some particular wrong doings. Yet must of us back then get our lives better now from those flogging. I just remember my dad and my BIG uncle called BABA DARIJIWON. Who born my mum or my dad to ask him why he flog them kids. This my uncle is ready to flog both my mum and my dad join. This realy put the correction sense in us all and his kids too. My own dad has different cane for different punishment. Ranging fron PASAN, KOBOKO and ELECTRIC cable twined together. The cable is for the most serious offence.
I just remember the i was being chased after by my dad for not standing for him to whop me. He continue chasing along with serious flogging with lots of KOKO on my face. Even in my school, AJangbadi High SChool. My principal Mrs Soetan na die and my Agric teacher my Sanni.
In a nut shell i just think kids should be flogged but with moderation cos GOD self support am.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Outrage As Teacher Attacks Little Girl In Class, Hits Her On The Head / Do you Remember Or Used This? / Secondary School Students Sing Naira Marley's "Opotoyi" During Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.