Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,019 members, 7,814,482 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? (28688 Views)

Watch University Lecturer Flogging Students (video) / Married In School, Single At Home In Nigeria Universities. / Nicknames Your Teachers Were Given In School And How They Earned It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by NubiaanQueen(f): 5:33pm On Jul 08, 2012
I'm staying in South Africa with my sisters daughter who is 12years of age her parents left her to stay with me she is a sweet kid the parents moved to Namibia..I was called at work one day by her school principal pleading with me to come to the local police station a teacher disciplined my niece the young girl went and opened a case against the teacher the teacher was arrested and I had to plead with the girl to let it go..I later discovered that the teacher only flogged her once..she even told me to open the constitution and read that the teacher was at fault..the teacher was suspended and out on bail..
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by sylaz(m): 5:35pm On Jul 08, 2012
"african child " . . . You peepz saying that make me wanna puke . . . So "african children" cant be talked to . . . M a sec skul student and i know for a fact we students are scared of punishments than any amount of flogging . . . "african child undecided"african child " . . . You peepz saying that make me wanna puke . . . So "african children" cant be talked to . . . M a sec skul student and i know for a fact we students are scared of punishments than any amount of flogging . . . "african child" smh . . .
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by NubiaanQueen(f): 6:03pm On Jul 08, 2012
@sylaz..I told the parents that this will be her last year with me as she is giving me trouble but I don't blame her kids have too many rights in South Africa..and the government makes it a point that they teach them about this rights in school even on television shows..sad hey..
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 08, 2012
seriously are you guys still in the @9th century? yeah you guys think beating someone will bring out good in him but have you guys seen the side effects. that person is cold to love, attachments, aggressive, becomes rude and thinks he can always get out of being in trouble. do you think you cannot train a kid without cane? is he/she an animal that you would inflict wounds and injuries on one? god made you and me in his own image and likeness not to see his children being tested and suffered by his fellow creations? there are so many other ways to train a child without the use of a rod. I know people that were brought up without being beaten by their parents and they are cleaner than most.

I don't think that's called love cos you show intentions of hurting a child. that child will grow up without full gratitude to his/her parents. learn to build on ones strong point, love him more, being altruistic in many ways instead of working to develop his hatred for you. I know people will counteract this but check your kids now and see if you want him/her to be like the bad ones cool
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by dasparrow: 6:20pm On Jul 08, 2012
Super1759: My childhood story is incomplete without stories of canes I received.

A teacher without a cane is like a police man without a gun,and this made me serious in school.

A teacher we called "sir koboko" or 'hulk hogan', when your hear "he is calling you", suicide can be a better option than his lashes of cane,and we the stubborn guys had to situp whenever it comes 2 school work.

At home, my parents had a special cane for us all. Mum flogs randomly(as a teacher) and dad flogs constructively(as a businessman) and we were locked up in the store if your case is worse(we call it prison then) and sometimes starved.

Nevertheless the discipline was with caution,but the modern school and theory is against flogging in schools. Now,my uncle withdrew his kids from a school because he was flogged.

Am asking what is wrong in it? Or does it mean we were brought up as slaves?

I think spanking when moderately done is okay but the way we were flogged back in the day in Nigeria was downright child abuse if you ask me. I for instance was flogged so much that my skin became numb and I could no longer feel the pain of the cane, koboko, electric wire and whatever else I was flogged with. Today, I pity the adult that will make the mistake to lay a finger on me because all the innermost resentment I may have buried up within me due to all the physical abuse I endured in my somewhat brief childhood in Nigeria will be taken out on that person. I don't know about now but I think back in the day, Nigerians beat up children way too much leaving many children scarred for life. God is watching all the abusive guardians/parents out there and will deal with them accordingly in His appointed time.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by tete7000(m): 6:25pm On Jul 08, 2012
The problem is that there is nothing wrong with flogging (or I call it spanking) a child. However, care should be taken to ensure it does not become abuse. There is actually a possibility that a point could be reached when beating becomes abuse.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by sylaz(m): 6:27pm On Jul 08, 2012
@Nubian Queen
i wasnt referring to your post . . . I was just giving my opinion about the topic and those sick idiots with d inferiority complex that an 'african child' should be beaten angry
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by tete7000(m): 6:30pm On Jul 08, 2012
asudan:
you r wrong here.my neighbour's child is a thief today after much floging.Floging is meant for slaves as it was practice during 50's before independence.
Your neighbour child was abused and not properly flogged. If flogging is used moderately with other forms of correction, a child can never go astray.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Daresh(f): 6:33pm On Jul 08, 2012
Any teacher that flogs my child will be flogged by me. Why will you flog my son? Did you follow me to labour for him. A stern talking to and taking awat priviledges will work better than flogging.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by tete7000(m): 6:34pm On Jul 08, 2012
We all should just imagine how you feel as a child when you see someone you know loves you so much pick a cain to flog you. You definitely realize you mess up and try not to do whatever you have done to deserve flogging again. It is not really the flogging that does the correction but the fact that you know you have forced someone who loves you to inflict pain on you. When a child is reprimanded by someone who loves him/her he takes correction. My conclusion is that we need to first demonstrate love our kid before flogging them can be meaningful and then the flogging should be done sparingly only when it becomes absolutely necessary.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by tete7000(m): 6:36pm On Jul 08, 2012
Daresh: Any teacher that flogs my child will be flogged by me. Why will you flog my son? Did you follow me to labour for him. A stern talking to and taking awat priviledges will work better than flogging.
I hope such as child you think you love so much and you are willing to spare pain will not be the pain to you when you grow old. Be wise and drop these attitude of yours.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Taiw(m): 6:38pm On Jul 08, 2012
A child dat wants to be stubborn will be stubborn no matter the beating or grounding u give to a child.i found out that flogging brings out the best from a child than just grounding which implies that NO PAIN NO GAIN.aside the fact it corrects them,it also makes them stronger.however as parent we must learn when to use the cain and when to ground them.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Super1759: 6:38pm On Jul 08, 2012
joeydozzy: seriously are you guys still in the @9th century? yeah you guys think beating someone will bring out good in him but have you guys seen the side effects. that person is cold to love, attachments, aggressive, becomes rude and thinks he can always get out of being in trouble. do you think you cannot train a kid without cane? is he/she an animal that you would inflict wounds and injuries on one? god made you and me in his own image and likeness not to see his children being tested and suffered by his fellow creations? there are so many other ways to train a child without the use of a rod. I know people that were brought up without being beaten by their parents and they are cleaner than most.

I don't think that's called love cos you show intentions of hurting a child. that child will grow up without full gratitude to his/her parents. learn to build on ones strong point, love him more, being altruistic in many ways instead of working to develop his hatred for you. I know people will counteract this but check your kids now and see if you want him/her to be like the bad ones cool
....are you saying what the bible said "spare the rod and spoil the child" is an old way of upbringing?
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Super1759: 6:42pm On Jul 08, 2012
Daresh: Any teacher that flogs my child will be flogged by me. Why will you flog my son? Did you follow me to labour for him. A stern talking to and taking awat priviledges will work better than flogging.
....good,but do you flog your boy?
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by toluxa1(m): 7:02pm On Jul 08, 2012
This is Uncle computer flogging students in my class. I took this video the first day I resumed as class teacher in this school. Its a private school in Minna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLlSihAtFjY&feature=plcp
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by MuyiGL: 7:18pm On Jul 08, 2012
There's a very thin line between disciplining a child and abusing a child. Sadly many Nigerian parents these days abuse their children under the pretext of disciplining them. Take for example the woman I saw on the road with her 3 year old kid. The boy was struggling to catch up with her with his small legs and when she was about to cross the major road he was still far off. She dragged him closer and beat the hell out if him, calling him a stupid boy. Or the woman in the bus with her son who keeps dozing off in Tue bus, probably tired from a long day, and she keeps slapping him? Would you say any if these are disciplining their children? True discipline requires wisdom and balance. I can count how many times my parents flogged me growing up and I still turned out right. He only beat me at times when it was really necessary. There were many other punishments that hurt more than caning. Just like someone nicely pointed out, some of the agberos on the streets went through the same 'disciplined' training but they didn't turn out right. How is flogging a child gonna help him do better in school. If you've flogged him for years and he still did bad at school, wouldn't it make sense to honestly find out what is going on in his life? Only God can train our children for us. I'm not saying flogging children is wrong, my parents flogged me. But we must learn to strike a necessary balance and not take misguided 'disciplinary' actions.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by MuyiGL: 7:27pm On Jul 08, 2012
black_beau: Unfortunately,africans don't seem to realize that our temparament and behaviour is different ffom that of the americans. The same thing that would make an american cry would not really faze an african.so,when I see nigerians copy americans unnecessarily,its annoying. Flogging is one of the best ways to correct the nigerian child. For those of you saying communication and interaction works better,I'd like to ask you this question: was there ever a time when you did something wrong as a kid and your parents corrected you with a speech and later,you were faced with the same situation,pls can you tell us your reaction? I'm sure you said to yourself,let me do it afterall,all my parents will do is to talk. Anyway,I was caned as a kid and I'm happy because it has helped shape my life a lot. As for my kids,I will cane them to discipline them but the key is to know when to cane and when to hold back.

You are sure? Bro don't speak for me. My dad had his ways of getting the best out of us. Flogging was there but it was rare. In only very extreme situations. There are ways my dad would say things, or punish us that when faced with the same situation, the thought of what he would say or do if you did it again would make you have a serious rethink. Check my earlier comment
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Yorisb: 7:37pm On Jul 08, 2012
bohboh275:

I agree with you but like what other way? I guess like taking games away from them.

If they are video games freaks enthusiasts......Yes, of course. smiley
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sprumbaba: 8:13pm On Jul 08, 2012
My mama go beat you finish she go tell you make you kon massage her arm after beating you. Na mama you go dey say sorry (E pele ma) to while beating you just because you dodged the cane and it hit her (I go hear yeye yeye). Who den dey beat, who dey cry.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by donifez(m): 8:29pm On Jul 08, 2012
Mehn flogging is good nd still bad,though i was part of those that were dealt with the rod,thats due to the school i attended (command sec sch),but the funny thing is that my dad will still be saying that it serves me right,thay am not the only kid there,even though my uniform will have bloods on it and the scars are still there as a memory lane up till today,but too much of flogging is bad,we do see students who have fainted b4 just by flogging them,and we also lost an ss2 student who was sick but was still flogged,the next day we heard he was dead,rip nonso
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by okunoba(m): 8:39pm On Jul 08, 2012
My take on this is based on facts. With all the canning and beating Nigerians have been dishing out to their kids since time immemorial, why are we so much more corrupt, violent and undisciplined than most countries where they don`t beat their kids. The germans, Scandinavians and many others don`t beat their kids, they talk to them. Today it is given that a german or scandinavian person will more than likely follow a rule and a Nigerian more likely to break that same rule. If we look at the two styles, I think it becomes obvious which one works better. Violence is never an option, we have to put to bed the circle of violence. Child abuse can`t continue to be masked as discipline.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Godogwu: 9:01pm On Jul 08, 2012
So many people are quoting the bible saying " spare the rod and spoil the child" .Nigerians or rather most Africans take this too literally, for me I feel the rod signififies discipline. You don't necessarily have to use a cane, belt or whatever on a child before you impact discipline to them. Although as I child I was flogged by my mum occasionally and rarely smacked by my dad, but fortunately my secondary school prohibited flogging, nevertheless juniors were flogged by seniors and you generally didn't want to be a whimp and tell on them so you just eat it up. I just believed that roughed us up because taking the heat of the belt without moving or flinching was seen as being manly. In countries like Uk, Canada and US it's illegal to even slap your child, but without flogging they still raise well mannered children. So I really don't support the flogging of children because a lot of parents, teachers and guardians abuse it.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Super1759: 9:04pm On Jul 08, 2012
toluxa1: This is Uncle computer flogging students in my class. I took this video the first day I resumed as class teacher in this school. Its a private school in Minna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLlSihAtFjY&feature=plcp
....nawa ooooo
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Aigbehis(m): 9:30pm On Jul 08, 2012
I thank God and those that caned me during my growing up days. It made me learn faster and moves me away from doing those bad things that will attract the cane. We are not oyibo people. We are black and Nigerians for that mata. I will teach my children lesson with "Water cane" if they mis-behave.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by superior1: 10:06pm On Jul 08, 2012
Myself and Layi were good friends in my secondary school days, we committed all kind of atrocities together including eloping to watch films like Mard (if you remember that Indian film) when others were in class. On the day bubble burst on our film watching escapade, my papa beat the living day light out of me while papa Layi gave him a good verbal lesson.

Immediate Effect: I quit watching films during school hours and my grades improved remarkably in class (I graduated best in Olevel in my school, Layi got a new pal and continued in his film then later betting adventures.
Long time Effect: Met Layi recently somewhere in Osogbo (He repairs okada for living). As for me, i aren't doing bad atoll.

My papa's cane was the beginning of wisdom for me although when i became a young man, he started using experiences to teach me. i feel flogging children who pose indifferent to verbal warning is very OK (as far as u dont turn it to an abuse)
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Gerrard59(m): 10:07pm On Jul 08, 2012
^^^
Yet with all those flogging,Germans,canadians,Norwegians,Japanese,Chinese e.t.c behave far better than Nigerians/Africans? Upon the spanking,yu cnt obey common traffic rules? You see with all yur beatings S.koreans are far more mannered than Africans. So tell of what use is the so-called spare the rod nd spoil the child is it?
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Gen2jaynee: 10:17pm On Jul 08, 2012
Flogging a child aint bad...bt its BAD wen u flog d child as if he/she stole all d money in central bank....... Some parents n teacher flog a child badly leavin him/her wit an indelible mark,which makes pple see dem as a BAD children.....sm pple may even call dem thieves bcoz of d rate @ whih dese marks on deir body increase,due to erriday flogging.......
Its too bad wen it comes 2 dis level
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by emmykk(m): 11:05pm On Jul 08, 2012
Yorisb:

I reckon you're taking that biblical verse way too literally.

For all u know, placing them on a wet naughty mat as a punishment and/or removing their favourite toy(s) could still be well passed for NOT sparing the biblical ''rod''.....
na lie cane=cane,rod=rod don't gnash anything there
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Aifey(m): 11:31pm On Jul 08, 2012
If no be 4 flog. I wulndt hav bein a gradute 2day. And I remain grateful 2my parents 4tht.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by samkoro: 12:14am On Jul 09, 2012
Flogging a child for doing wrong is very very perfect.The bible says spare the rod and spoil the child.I was flogged as a kid and it made me a better man.I can draw a sharp line between good and bad,but spoilt children of today do not know there are sharp boundaries between goo and bad cos they were softly punished by mere scolding and petting.No thorough discipline.

I flog hell outa ma kids,when they mess up.I still show them love
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by ebere1712: 12:19am On Jul 09, 2012
Flogging is directly proportional to failed parenthood. It should be outlawed in Nigeria schools and homes. If you flog your kids, you are practicing your own boko haram at home (there are way more effective disciplinary tools). In some of our schools, it is a whole other level. Say no to "boko haram" (terrorist teachers) in Nigerian schools.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 2:13am On Jul 09, 2012
We had a girl in my secondary school that will change her school uniform and sneak out of school with guys. Whe our teacher found out,she was flogged mercilessly and the mother came to fight the teacher in school for beating her and removed her daughter from school.According to her she had noticed she was becoming wayward but she prefers to be talking to her. Today she's a big time prostitute and the mother is crying.
Parents pls stop going to fight teachers for beating the children cos no teacher will flog your child for doing the right thing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Good Course Can A Science Student Study In The University Without Physics / Outrage As Teacher Attacks Little Girl In Class, Hits Her On The Head / Timetable For Covenant University Resumption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.