Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,330 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

How to Make a Relationship Last...? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How to Make a Relationship Last...? (13233 Views)

How Long Should An Ideal Steady Relationship Last Before Marriage?? / Can A Relationship Last Without Sex? / Personal Space Makes A Relationship Last (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by Dsense(m): 5:48pm On Jul 10, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin
slimyem: ....they are all dumb...and i'm not sorry to say that!
grin
slimyem: ....they are all dumb...and i'm not sorry to say that!
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by piragirl(f): 6:17pm On Jul 10, 2012
190: 1. Tell your partner you love them.
Although it’s true that actions speak louder than words, words often speak more clearly than actions. Take a moment every now and then to verbalize your feelings for your partner. A simple “I love you” or “You mean the world to me” can go a long way towards making your significant other feel wanted, cared for, and secure in your relationship.
2. Show some affection.
Small acts of physical intimacy – the hand on the small of the back as you brush by in the hallway, your arm around their shoulder on the sofa, your hand on their thigh when seated side-by-side, holding hands while walking down the street – give your partner a warm feeling and convey the love and affection you feel for them. The littlest touch can be as important, or even more important, than the longest night of sexual intimacy.
3. Show appreciation for your partner.
Let your partner know on a regular basis what it is that you like most about them – what you admire, what makes you proud, what their strengths are in your eyes. Building a romantic relationship isn’t jsut about the initial bonding – it’s about encouraging and supporting each other’s growth over the course of your lives. Help your partner achieve his or her potential by constantly building them up.
4. Share yourself.
Don’t keep your likes and dislikes, dreams and fears, achievements and mistakes, or anything else to yourself. If it’s important to you, share it with your partner. More than that, be sure to share more with your partner than you do with anyone else. While there is certainly a need for some personal space in even the closest relationship, give as much of yourself and your time as you can bear to your partner.
5. Be there for your partner.
It’s obvious what you need to do when your partner faces a major life challenge like the loss of a job or the death of a loved one. But it’s just as important to be supportive when your partner faces life’s little challenges, too – an argument at work, a rough commute, a misplaced check. Don’t let yourself be a doormat, and definitely don’t stand for physical or verbal abuse, but thicken your skin a little and be the voice of calm and reason when chaos strikes. Listen to what’s bothering them and offer whatever help – even if it’s just sympathy – you can.
6. Give gifts.
Take advantages of opportunities to give material tokens of your love. Just the right book picked up at the bookstore, a special dessert, a piece of jewelry or clothing you noticed at the store – anything small or large that tells them you were thinking of them. Leave a love note for them, or send them an SMS at work to “I love you” – again, the little reminder that they’re always on your mind will help your partner feel better about themselves and secure in your relationship.
7. Respond gracefully to your partner’s demands and shortcomings.
A big killer of relationships is unreasonable expectations. Unless you married a robot, your partner comes pre-loaded with a whole range of human failures and foibles. These are features, not bugs! Learn to recognize and appreciate your partner’s quirks for what they are: an essential part of who they are as people. Since our weaknesses are often at the core of our deepest insecurities, make sure you don’t pick on or otherwise go out of your way to highlight your partner’s flaws.
8. Make "alone time" a priority.
No matter how busy both of your lives are, make sure you commit at least an evening every week or two to be alone together. Have new experiences, share your stories, and just generally enjoy each other’s company.
9. Take nothing for granted.
Cultivate a daily sense of gratitude for your partner and the thousands of little blessings he or she has brought into your life. Remember that, if you’re happy in your relationship, your partner is doing a thousand little things for you every day to make your relationship work (as, hopefully, you are for them). Never take that for granted – a relationship is work of the highest order, and the second you stop it starts to slide away.
10. Strive for equality.
Make sure you follow the Golden Rule in your relationship: do unto your partner as you would have done unto you. Strive for a fair division of household duties and other tasks, and don’t expect or demand special considerations you’d be unwilling to offer in return.
lovely, if all this is put into use,happy ending is expected ke....
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by kandiikane(m): 6:28pm On Jul 10, 2012
bknight: Those dat know so well how & what makes relationships work have d worst undecided

So very very true.

1 Like

Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by kandiikane(m): 6:31pm On Jul 10, 2012
onila: give me MONEY, MONEY

I will LICK your feet. .the relationship will blosom

grin grin grin grin
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by kandiikane(m): 6:34pm On Jul 10, 2012
davidylan:

harder does not mean better. I dont know any woman who wants to be bruised, battered and unable to walk the next day as a show of how "hard" you are. grin

This is why I married you without your knowledge sha. tongue
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by kepsi123(m): 7:08pm On Jul 10, 2012
Love the one you're with. That's all that matters. LOVE.
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by kandiikane(m): 7:11pm On Jul 10, 2012
kepsi123: Love the one you're with. That's all that matters. LOVE.

Will love put food on your table? Will love stop you from cheating?

Please, NO!!
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jul 10, 2012
kandiikane:

This is why I married you without your knowledge sha. tongue

lol no one told me oh! grin Anyway who am i to complain? I receive am!
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 10, 2012
onila: give me MONEY, MONEY

I will LICK your feet. .the relationship will blosom
In other words,u are........Ashi?jst askin.
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by felicity17(m): 8:46pm On Jul 10, 2012
sexkillz: Communicate Communicate Communicate. . .

Nothing holds a relationship more than communication. If you love her and you don't communicate it to her either by your words or actions, nothing is achieved. It's vice versa.

There are other qualities you have to cultivate in addition to your communication skills. . .brb
True.....part of it anyway
Lol
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by kandiikane(m): 9:12pm On Jul 10, 2012
davidylan:

lol no one told me oh! grin Anyway who am i to complain? I receive am!
Of course, na. I am all you did want in a wife. Everything you can think of, I am. grin
Loveangel: In other words,u are........Ashi?jst askin.

Na only ashi dey chop money? Stingy guy!
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jul 10, 2012
Guapo's Tips :

1. Human are bøund to Err, So u need inculcate the act of Forgiveness In ya Relationship.

2. Maintain a good deal of Romantic Demeanour towards ya partner.

3. Dont talk bout Ya Ex with ya Partner. {Very Important}

4. Share Ya future Plans together.

5. Its Imperative u guys maintain a great Communication Link.

6. Disbelieve evry Gossip n Rumor about ya Partner. {Hard to Practise i must Sae}

7. Be eva Ready to Sacrifice for ya Partner.

8. Dont Compare ya Partner with Someone Else.

9. Be Sure to Love ya Partner hopelessly - Without Succint Reasons.

10. See ya Partner not as the Perfect One but as the Right Øne

1 Like

Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by BABE3: 9:44pm On Jul 10, 2012
mekaboy: 2, INSECURITY :

BUT APPRECIATE THEM FOR RESPECTING YOU ENOUGH, NOT TO DO IT IN YOUR PRESSENCE OR GIVE YOU REASON TO SUSPECT THEM. THAT WAY YOU WILL BE FREE OF STRESS. HAVE THIS MENTALITY, "CHEAT BUT DONT BE CAUGHT OR GIVE ME REASON TO SUSPECT YOU". THAT WAY YOU WILL HAVE PEACE.

Hogwash. What if the man/woman cheats and gets caught but it wasn't his/her intention to get caught? The other party shouldn't be furious because he/she wasn't supposed to catch the culprit/cheat. . .all in the name of "peace of mind" ? Your post is basically giving everyone a license to cheat.

mekaboy:
MY ADVICE FOR LADIES, IF YOUR MAN, BECOMES SILENT AFTER SEX THEN DONT BUILD YOUR LIFE AROUND HIM, BECAUSE HE DOES NOT SEE ANY FUTURE IN YOU. ALL HE WANTS IS SEX AND WHEN HE GETS IT, THE NEXT THING ON HIS MIND IS HIS BUSINESS AND CUSTOMERS. REMEMBER

Haba? You be correct Boot-leg Love doctor o, Oga Meka. Men and women are not "built" the same way. Typically, a woman would want to cuddle right after sex while a man would want to doze off. Differences in Hormones.
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by Happytina(f): 9:58pm On Jul 10, 2012
In ur relationship, learn 2 take ur partner 4 who he or she is. Learn 2 say sorry when u ofend him or her.In ur relationship, learn 2 take ur partner 4 who he or she is. Learn 2 say sorry when u ofend him or her.In ur relationship, learn 2 take ur partner 4 who he or she is. Learn 2 say sorry when u ofend him or her.
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jul 10, 2012
^^ Nøt Like as u're typing it Øut for us to memorize!

3 times Sounded Out! Another Ten Commandments in the making?
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by Nobody: 1:52am On Jul 11, 2012
D-sense:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!

DSENSE!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

check your inbox.
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by Roland17(m): 6:06am On Jul 11, 2012
There are no Manuals to a sucessful relationship, always being your self is one thing i have learnt over time, if he or she accepts you the way u really are, then u can both work it out and my favourite line is

"LOVE IS NEVER ENOUGH"....
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by celestinyy: 6:52am On Jul 11, 2012
iz just trust,patience nd sacrifice
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by Mcdondayan: 10:13am On Jul 11, 2012
bknight: Those dat know so well how & what makes relationships work have d worst undecided
flesh and blood did nt reveal this to u. God bless u 4 been honest. Most ladies that keep on advising other ladies nd seeing sevral faults in theis r/ships re usually worse.
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by SUV(f): 11:12am On Jul 11, 2012
1. Tell your partner you love them.
Although it’s true that actions speak louder than words, words often speak more clearly than actions. Take a moment every now and then to verbalize your feelings for your partner. A simple “I love you” or “You mean the world to me” can go a long way towards making your significant other feel wanted, cared for, and secure in your relationship.
2. Show some affection.
Small acts of physical intimacy – the hand on the small of the back as you brush by in the hallway, your arm around their shoulder on the sofa, your hand on their thigh when seated side-by-side, holding hands while walking down the street – give your partner a warm feeling and convey the love and affection you feel for them. The littlest touch can be as important, or even more important, than the longest night of intimate intimacy.
3. Show appreciation for your partner.
Let your partner know on a regular basis what it is that you like most about them – what you admire, what makes you proud, what their strengths are in your eyes. Building a romantic relationship isn’t jsut about the initial bonding – it’s about encouraging and supporting each other’s growth over the course of your lives. Help your partner achieve his or her potential by constantly building them up.
4. Share yourself.
Don’t keep your likes and dislikes, dreams and fears, achievements and mistakes, or anything else to yourself. If it’s important to you, share it with your partner. More than that, be sure to share more with your partner than you do with anyone else. While there is certainly a need for some personal space in even the closest relationship, give as much of yourself and your time as you can bear to your partner.
5. Be there for your partner.
It’s obvious what you need to do when your partner faces a major life challenge like the loss of a job or the death of a loved one. But it’s just as important to be supportive when your partner faces life’s little challenges, too – an argument at work, a rough commute, a misplaced check. Don’t let yourself be a doormat, and definitely don’t stand for physical or verbal abuse, but thicken your skin a little and be the voice of calm and reason when chaos strikes. Listen to what’s bothering them and offer whatever help – even if it’s just sympathy – you can.
6. Give gifts.
Take advantages of opportunities to give material tokens of your love. Just the right book picked up at the bookstore, a special dessert, a piece of jewelry or clothing you noticed at the store – anything small or large that tells them you were thinking of them. Leave a love note for them, or send them an SMS at work to “I love you” – again, the little reminder that they’re always on your mind will help your partner feel better about themselves and secure in your relationship.
7. Respond gracefully to your partner’s demands and shortcomings.
A big killer of relationships is unreasonable expectations. Unless you married a robot, your partner comes pre-loaded with a whole range of human failures and foibles. These are features, not bugs! Learn to recognize and appreciate your partner’s quirks for what they are: an essential part of who they are as people. Since our weaknesses are often at the core of our deepest insecurities, make sure you don’t pick on or otherwise go out of your way to highlight your partner’s flaws.
8. Make "alone time" a priority.
No matter how busy both of your lives are, make sure you commit at least an evening every week or two to be alone together. Have new experiences, share your stories, and just generally enjoy each other’s company.
9. Take nothing for granted.
Cultivate a daily sense of gratitude for your partner and the thousands of little blessings he or she has brought into your life. Remember that, if you’re happy in your relationship, your partner is doing a thousand little things for you every day to make your relationship work (as, hopefully, you are for them). Never take that for granted – a relationship is work of the highest order, and the second you stop it starts to slide away.
10. Strive for equality.
Make sure you follow the Golden Rule in your relationship: do unto your partner as you would have done unto you. Strive for a fair division of household duties and other tasks, and don’t expect or demand special considerations you’d be unwilling to offer in return.

Exactly!
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by Nobody: 11:16am On Jul 11, 2012
SUV:

Exactly!
instead of quoting the entire post,why not just put the person's name.that would be better,isnt it?
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by Nobody: 11:17am On Jul 11, 2012
SUV:

Exactly!
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by phatelex: 12:17pm On Jul 11, 2012
hmmmm
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by phatelex: 12:35pm On Jul 11, 2012
Most relationship therapist are d one going through hell to make theirs survive
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by bbporsche: 12:37pm On Jul 11, 2012
@190; i cant believe i read thru ur post abt makin a r/ship last and u made sense for d 1st tym grin.

but u r so on point sha...nobody is perfect so we r expected to fall short of ur rules once in a while.
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by phatelex: 12:47pm On Jul 11, 2012
Anyways, everybody is really on point, i learnt a lot must confess, from my experience i can say for sure, too much of everythin s bad, when u show ur girl too much love, u start loosing her, dats d bitter truth, den just lik magic dey'll leave you, treatin dem normal and makin dem realise there's always a competitor though there's non in d real sense. Cheatin aint good actually, and to all @breakers, God 'll reward u of ur deeds. Keep t up, now to d topic, you've all said t all, but one thin i expected first couldn't find t. For every successful long lastin relationship, believe there's trust, strong one. when there's high TRUST even distant relationship s not a prob. TRUST TRUST TRUST basic tool. Trust her no matter wot u hear, don't jump into conclusion ask her first before reacting, wen there's no trust then d unhealthy jealousy comes in. Jealousy s a healthy thin, a jealous man s a man in luv, sure but there's d unhealthy one. D main point s, u findin ur soulmate, ur @wil never be troubled, u'll ve peace and happiness. *girls* pls don't give sex b4 marriage, love aint sex, sex s just an exercise not luv. Let ur husband appreciate u 4 ur virtue pls..... LOVE S A BEAUTIFUL THING.Thank u

1 Like

Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by johnwell(m): 1:56pm On Jul 11, 2012
ogugua88: This poor Romance Section. One look and people would think Nigerians are a broken-hearted, bitter, sad, spiteful, empty, cursed, angry, loveless species. I doubt that's all of us though. Somewhere among the sea of lonely are some who have been in enduring relationships, or are out of a relationship and have learned lessons from the game of love.

So where y'all at?

How long have you been with your significant other? What's it been like? Was it always easy? What lessons have you learned from your relationship or significant other that you can tell others in hopes of them being successfully taken like you?

The floor's open! *waiting for stories*

my story and NAIRALANDER response
https://www.nairaland.com/870582/please-still-marry
Re: How to Make a Relationship Last...? by Nobody: 2:29am On Jul 12, 2012
if you date more than 1 year, its useless.get married within this time limit to enjoy your married life

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Drop Nominations For Mr Nairaland Here / Response 2 Rosemary! Why Do We Girls Think We Are Doing Guys A Favour With Sex? / SHOCKING!! Tiwa Savage Exposed Her Fat V@gjπa On Stage While Performing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.