Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,925 members, 7,814,110 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

The burning cold - Literature (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The burning cold (47219 Views)

Story:lost In A Cold World(an Emotional Story) / Jos, December And Cold. / UNYIME-IVY KING – “burning Hurt” Akwa Ibom’s Bestfemale Literary Fiction Writer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 8:23am On Jan 10, 2013
My eyes blinked and I felt my heart froze. All of a sudden, it felt like my head was been drawn in two different places at the same time. The temperature in the room increased (perhaps it was just me). Could not believe what she just said and said so causally as though she had known from the start and it did not really surprise her.

She still sat down looking at me and had that smile she always has when she knows she is winning.

I stuttered;
“err… sure mum it is better what the crap I eat in school”

I got up in a bid to take the dishes to the kitchen which was more of a way for me to evade her questions and those eyes of her. I realize she was already in my head no matter what I do but to have her look and smile at me again is what I will call unnerving.

“Where are you going Pete?” she asked

“I want to take the dishes to the kitchen and wash them mum, I will be right back”

She still sat down, looked up at me said;

“In the middle of a family discussion that might lead to my grand children? Son we both know you don’t want to do the dishes, you are just looking for a way to run away from me and not talk to me about your intimate life”

At this point, I had heard it all and for some reason, the look on her face changed for her smiling to her just having this cute puppyish look that made me laugh.

“Mum are you serious? You would take her asthe mother of your grand children?”

She kept staring at me, she shook her head and replied;

“Not really, I will rather turn her into one of my minion and have her do my wishes forever but the choice of a partner is still yours”
I sat down on the chair back

“Mum, why would you want to turn her into your minion? I mean if she is the mother of my kids that will mean I chose her and that I love her so you might have to accept her”

She nodded her head and said,

“I like that you have these qualities son. You are growing up to be a fine young man and you are behaving to think like one but there is a major flaw in your personality we need tofix”

“What flaw mum?”

“You my son. Servant of the Grim Reaper are a bad judge of character. You are bad at choosing people you trust and sleep with. Remember the cat that lead to that little incident with those wretched witches? You trusted the cat and not your intuition”

Now I was past being surprised. I was more of curious as to what she thought she knew about Bunmi that I did not know. What made her think she is a bad person and so not worthy of being in the family, so I asked;

“What is wrong with that girl mum?”

She gave me one of those smiles of hers and said

“I better just keep quiet”

“No mum, you know something and I want to know what it is”
She looked at me and said quietly,

“if you must know, that girl has been cheating on you while you were busy reaping souls thinking you were the only one in her life. I know this is hard to take but you should deal with it. It happens”

At this, she got up, kissed my head an took the dishes to the kitchen.
Re: The burning cold by oyestephen(m): 12:28pm On Jan 10, 2013
This is getting more interesting than I thought...
Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 12:33pm On Jan 10, 2013
Oh that's not so bad. It was only a casual thing, right?

I thought she would reveal something bad like she being a bad witch or whatever! The cheating story, I can take hahaha.
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 9:20pm On Jan 10, 2013
ijebabe: Oh that's not so bad. It was only a casual thing, right?

I thought she would reveal something bad like she being a bad witch or whatever! The cheating story, I can take hahaha.

my thoughts exactly
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 12:13pm On Jan 11, 2013
Here we go again
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 12:18pm On Jan 11, 2013
I could not believe what I was hearing. I suddenly got mentally down and slumped into the chair I was sitting as though a bullet was shot into my brain. The thought that she was sleeping around was mind blowing but still I could not believe that she cheated on me and even if she did, how did Mum know?

As I walked to the kitchen I could hear water running from the tap as it seemed that mum was doing the dishes. I leaned against the door frame to find Mum sitting on the kitchen cabinet while the dishes were washing themselves. How do I explain this? The sponge was scrubbing the plates and the plates just hung in mid air as they were washed. She was sitting and typing something into her phone and that seemed to take her attention.

For a moment I allowed myself to be lost in what I was seeing, plates washing themselves could only mean one thing; that something washing them. This was not a spell, hex or anything like that, a creature was washing it right in the room and she was comfortable with it. I could not see whatever it was because I was looking with my mortal eyes only and then I turned to my third eye and I saw what my mum had in the kitchen. Three different creatures were in the kitchen. One was washing the dishes and the others were involved in different cleaning activities.

Curiosity took over me, if mum could have three minions in the kitchen alone, how many would be around the house? I took a step back and looked into the sitting room and l could not believe it. Our house looked like a mini sweat shop as all around creatures were everywhere doing one activity or another and they seemed not to get in each other’s way. Some even repeated their activity at intervals and just kept at it.

“You need to open your eyes more son, it will help you see the world and appreciate it better” came mum’s voice from the kitchen.

I turned around still with my sight and I saw her as I did when she came to save me from the witches. Dark hair, robed and just stunning. Her eyes were normal but she oozed of power all around her. There were minions standing beside her and holding her staff beside her. Another carried a huge mirror and just stood waiting to be called into use.

I closed my third eye. “So many minions mum, where do you get them from?”

She did not even attempt to look up from her phone as she seemed to be too engrossed with it.

“Most of them are fallen elementals and some are just human souls I collected over the ages and trapped. They human souls are living humans but being punished for something they did. They do my wishes and keep everything running. Why do you ask?”

The weight of what she said hit me and I was in disbelief over how dismissively she spoke.

“Mum do you actually realize that some of these minions are beings you trapped to make them work for you? You do realize the savagery of these actions right?”

At this, she looked up at me and smiled.

“Son, I am a witch, the concept of morality is lost on me. Don’t try to preach it to me either as I have been living like this for long and don’t intend to stop.”

The look on my face changed to shock as I could not believe what I was hearing.

“But can’t you just see that you are making slaves out of them? These could be free spirits you know? And the humans, what could they have done to deserve this? They could help some poor souls out there out sometimes instead of dotting on you and doing your every wish”.

She put her phone down and got off the cabinet. I noticed that she did not just drop but she almost flew. She walked to the oven opened it and the kitchen was filled with the aroma of freshly baked cake.

She spoke with her back turned at me.

“You are right, they are free spirits and the have a right to their own existence but seriously, how did they get attached to me? Did you think they might have done something wrong and are paying for it? Maybe this is their purpose for existing and please don’t forget that I need them to do some of my work for me. It is hard getting good help these days son”

She walked away from the oven and the cake levitated out of the oven itself and sat on top of the kitchen table, a knife pulled out of the cabinet and two plates and two forks did the same. The knife cut the cake and they were placed on the plates, one came towards me and another towards mum.

Mum took a bite. “Not too bad, when you are done trying to get over the minions, you can also take a bite. It tastes good. I took a bite of the cake and found out that she was actually right, it did taste good.

“It actually tastes good mum, I would have said you did well but we both know you did not really bake it yourself”.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 12:22pm On Jan 11, 2013
I was expecting her to take offence at my remark but she only shrugged.

“It is my recipe, I did the planning and gave the orders, but if you think it is not mine, I really can’t argue with you. They work for me and I am not about to change that. But I have to wonder how a conversation about your cheating girlfriend ended up with you giving me a lesson on morals”.

The ease at which she tried to change the topic amazed me.

“This has nothing to do with morals, I am just pointing something out. And back to Bunmi, how did you know she cheated on me? Have you been following us around?”

“I am too busy to follow you around son, I just had a minion inside your room to watch over you since your encounter with those witches. For your protection. I know about her cheating because she was pregnant once and carried out an abortion”, she said as she took another piece of the cake.

Now I was shocked “A what? How are you sure it was not my baby?”

“For someone who reaps you need to pay attention to living organisms around you, boy. The moment she got pregnant and entered the room, the minion noticed. The bond between mother and child is too difficult to miss. I was informed and since the child’s blood smelled nothing close to yours and in extension mine I could not be bothered. If it smelled like mine, I would have been informed anyway”.

She dropped the plate inside the sink and another washing started.

“That was not the first abortion anyway, she had more than 5 during the time you were together and oh one more thing, I had to make you sterile so she could not conceive for you. That lady can never be my grand child’s mother. I would send her on a permanent message to the Devil first!”
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jan 11, 2013
This Mynd you bad gan. This peter sef na real Jew man. Lol
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 2:03pm On Jan 11, 2013
brokoto: This Mynd you bad gan. This peter sef na real Jew man. Lol
You people make me good
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 11, 2013
So 1 creature dey live wit u all this time and u did not knw. Peter u need 2 open eyes like ur mum said.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 4:17pm On Jan 11, 2013
Damex333: So 1 creature dey live wit u all this time and u did not knw. Peter u need 2 open eyes like ur mum said.
I tire for the guy ooo
Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 7:03pm On Jan 11, 2013
5 abortions? shocked At her age?

Peter be mumu o! I like his mum, hahaha, permanent message to the devil, she's wicked!
Re: The burning cold by IZUKWU(m): 9:26pm On Jan 11, 2013
This story too sweet, i have eloped from the romance section. I will camp here and be visiting other sections.
Re: The burning cold by IZUKWU(m): 9:32pm On Jan 11, 2013
Mynd , you are good. I have been wowed with your works .get them published . If you die without publishing you would have denied this generation of a gem to treasure. Wow!
Re: The burning cold by Tallcutie(f): 4:46pm On Jan 23, 2013
Wow Quite interesting
Mr Mynd u do have a way with words
Bravo!

1 Like

Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 7:29pm On Jan 23, 2013
I am still laughing over "That lady can never be my grand child’s mother. I would send her on a permanent message to the Devil first!”
grin
Re: The burning cold by Ice4jez(m): 12:23am On Jan 24, 2013
any thing dat has a begining suppose to have an end.bro if u no finish dis one wat is the garantee u go finish the tri paternal bla bla bla.u fall my hand no be small
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 1:23am On Jan 24, 2013
Ice4jez: any thing dat has a begining suppose to have an end.bro if u no finish dis one wat is the garantee u go finish the tri paternal bla bla bla.u fall my hand no be small
I am sorry sir. I will finsh both but I am too busy right now.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 12:26pm On Jan 25, 2013
The next few weeks were like that. Mum and I in a show of power which of course she wins every time making me look like some kind of amateur. For some reason, my boos did not call me to do any job and I was fine with it because it felt good to be back in town, a lot of my old classmates were either still doing their own service or in school. Some were even married and every time I saw one of the married ones, I remember what mum told me about my ex girlfriend and her activities. My mum’s minions became used to me and I them, she even had one to take care of my room for me until I discovered that the minions is the soul of some poor woman that mum was punishing for a crime I did not even want to know. I just woke up the next morning and preparedmy own spells to make my room out of bounds to them even though I knew that the spell was a mere waste of time and it really did not have any effect.

I still had money in my account and I got myself a very good car and lived the life of a rich son.

Mum did not oppose that but when she advised I take in one of her minions as a driver as she did another round of arguments which she won of course but I could not bring myself to use another person’s soul as a slave to my every need and desire. It was just too cruel and unnatural. Mum did not see anything bad in it because according to her, we were superior and so we were entitled to those luxuries.

After almost 6 months of me being at home, I got a message which was clear as day. Someone had to be reaped and I had no problem taking it. The message came n the night. I had just got into another argument with mum over some little insignificant issue and she came thrashing my points and driving her’s home with a little force. It is still amazing how she gets into these arguments with all force that in the end, I end up being almost scared of her and cower.

The job was supposed to happen the next day and the location was also a place I was familiar with. In front of a mall where I do most of our domestic buying since the minions can’t go purchasing groceries for us. After the message came, I could not help but wonder if mum knew about the message coming in. I listened for signs of her doing anything out of the ordinary but it seemed all she did was sit down in front of the television.

I did not count anything to this particular task because it is something I am used to. People dying had become so normal, I could not be moved by their death or plight. Why beheld down by someone’s death? It is not like if I turned the job down the person will live after all. My boss will just get another reaper to get her soul and that will be the end of everything so I might as well do it and get paid. I drifted of into a dreamless and sound sleep that night and woke up to find a face looking down at me. At first thought, I thought it was one of mum’s minions and I focused my eyes well to see mum looking down at me will a smile appearing at a corner of her eyes,
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 12:29pm On Jan 25, 2013
I wonder why all men have to have excited joysticks when they woke up as this was the first thing I became aware of when I realized that it was mum.

“I can see you were having a nice dream son she said walking to the window”

I sat up a little to try to hide the bulge in my boxers”

“What are you doing in my room? I thought with the spells you would not be able to enter without my permission?"

She reached for the curtains and she pulled it open, turned and said

“You really need to get more sunlight and fresh air into this room Pete; it smells like someone died in it. And why would your spells stop me from entering? This is my house and this place is a room which is still inmy house which means you can’t keep me out”

She paused and came to sit at the foot of my bed and continued

“I realize that your teacher taught you a couple of spells to keep people and beings out of your business and private quarters, but I don’t see how you can keep me out of a room in my own house”

I murmured an Okay but still could not get up as the bulge in my trousers was still there

“You want something mum?”

“What makes you think I want something, I always watch you sleep since you were a little boy and what is so different now?”

I did not have to think of my reply before I gave it.

“The difference is that right now, I am a grown man capable of having my own family and I want some privacy”

She got off the bed and walked out. When she got to the door, she turned and said,

“Breakfast is waiting for you and I have to gosomewhere. I will be a little late but I will be fine. That was what I came to tell you in the first place”

And she was gone. I half expected to hear the door open and close but then I heard her car pull out of the lot and realized she skipped the door option and transported herself. Something told me to follow her quietly and just as a smile crept in on my face at that thought heard her voice came in

“Following me will be the worst idea you have ever conceived in that head of yours, do you know where I am going or what I am going to do? Go take your breakfast and stop being suicidal”

I got out of bed and fixed myself some breakfast while having thoughts of my first assignment since I graduated from school. I brought an image of the lady back to my eyes and the destination and time one more time before sitting in front of the television and losing myself
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 25, 2013
Nice!
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jan 25, 2013
Hmmmmm,nice one,mynd thanks 4 ds episode but we no beg b4 u give us d next episode.
Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 7:25pm On Jan 25, 2013
I hope nothing goes wrong with this reap...
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 12:10pm On Jan 26, 2013
Tasty!!!
Re: The burning cold by Lookie4: 9:49pm On Jan 26, 2013
sadBroda mi pls wen z our update comin
Re: The burning cold by PBeni(m): 10:17am On Jan 27, 2013
The story is captivating, more updates Mynd...
Don't waste time pls...
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 8:17pm On Jan 27, 2013
The reap was supposed to be around 2:45 in the afternoon which gave me plenty of time to lazy around the house a bit. I got off the couch and went to the kitchen with my third eye opened to make some food only to see one of mum’s minions already fixing me some cereals. The sight first got me tired but the minion was not, her soul just carried the bowl and put it in my hand as she filled it up with milk, sugar and cornflakes.

I had always made it a point of duty not to looked them in the eyes as a reaper, you can see the history of people from soul gazing into through their eyes. Mum could do it too but she does it without the eyes thing. She just touched you and she spill everything that has happened effortlessly but this young soul pouring me breakfast got me assumed and I looked away from the bowl into her face. She obviously did not know what she was ought to do as she looked back and asked

“Does my lord want me to do anything else?”

“Don’t call me that, in fact more time before sitting in front of the television and losing myself.

”Don’t call me any name that has to do with respect. Just come sit at the table with me. I want to talk to you”

“What she still kept her face down and asked

”What does my Lord wants to ask of his servant?”

And this made me pity her more. I knew what I was about to do would not go down well with mum but it did not sit well in my belly that these were souls who probably did nothing and are being punished while their bodies would be walking around the earth as a mere vessel without the ability to do anything good with themselves. They would be a liability both to their communities and families just because mum needed trusted house helps. I had to understand her reason.
“Come sit with me at the table so we can talk a little”

She still did not look up at me obviously as a sign of respect and she said;

“Mistress said I should not leave the kitchen as my duties are here so I can’t sit with you my lord”

Now another wave of emotions swelled up inside me. I was overwhelmed with pity and I sat on the kitchen cabinet.
“Okay can we talk here now?”

“As my lord wishes”

Okay so I had her attention and I did not know what to ask from her. What do you say to a soul which is imprisoned?
I already had her and so I started anyway.

“I am sorry you have been limited to do something like this and be treated like you are a slave to me and my mother. If I could help you, I would but can you tell me what led you to become this condition? What happened between you and my mother to make you become what you are now?”

I was expecting her to open up or at least tell me some story but she just said

“My mistress has been good to me and this is a way for me to thank her for the good she has done to me. I am not worthy of being in her service but she took a lowly servant like me in and for that I am grateful. This is a good condition and I am proud of it. I am proud to be in her service and she continues to show her kindness and goodness to me and the rest of us”

Hearing that was just depressing to me. Here she was; a slave and she was defending my mum as though she gave her life or something.

“Okay, can you tell me a little about yourself before you came to work for her? anything about yourself that can help me know you better?”

“My lord, sorry but we are forbidden to speak of such things. My mistress is a kind one and she will be upset if she learnt I spoke of that”

now I started getting angry. This was not just slavery but she has subjected them to become life forms without a mind of their own too?

“What does she do to you when she is upset with you? You cannot be hurt physically you know”

“I know I cannot be hurt and my mistress has never been upset with me. She has been so good that I don’t want her to be. Please my lord, I have to go clean the store now as it is my duty for today”

I could have just sent her off with a wave of my hand but my natural curiosity got the better of me as I got down from the cabinet, held her face up with my right hand and looked into her eyes and travelled in her memories.

I have soul gazed a lot and most of the time, it was into the eyes of the souls I reaped just to get more experience about life. It is basically the same thing except you will see things even the person does not remember. things like when he/she was born and what happened while young. You could even trace certain events to decisions made by that person. But this time, I was looking for something specific. What brought her together with my mother.

It did not take too long to see as I saw the memory I was looking for. I saw my mum standing in front of her smiling for some reason. Then I heard mom’s voice in the memory

“So you killed you sister’s son just because you thought she looked more beautiful and poisoned your whole family too?”
And she held a bowl to her as her soul was pulled out of her body. The statement sounded too casual and I followed the memory of the poisoning to where it happened and I was shocked. She had gotten jealous of her 5month old nephew because her father, the baby’s grandfather willed some money and snuck into the baby’s room one day and poured some poison into the baby’s baby mixture. I also saw her poison her sister’s food and her husband’s food too but in little quantity so they did not die.

The baby of course was not so lucky but no one knew she was responsible except mum. Her judgment was left to her and she decided what to do to her immediately. That was almost 6 years ago.

I shut my eyes as the reality dawned on me that perhaps mum did have a reason for keeping these souls here after all. I left her face and sent her off while I walked out of the kitchen wondering how people could be so wicked. She reminded me of the witches when I was just a fresher in school and I could not believe I had hopes of helping her. I looked at the time and realized I was running late for my reap.

The time was already 2’o clock
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jan 27, 2013
Mum knows best.grin
Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 9:58pm On Jan 27, 2013
He should know when not to let his emotions cloud his judgement tongue
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 27, 2013
ijebabe: He should know when not to let his emotions cloud his judgement tongue
dont mind that peter jawe, im too dey allow emotion judge him.
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 27, 2013
Damex333: dont mind that peter jawe, im too dey allow emotion judge him.
na Jew man na
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 3:47am On Jan 29, 2013
Emotions!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Blind Love / Mercy Said No! - A Christian Romance Story / Switched (story Of A Fierce Battle Between Desperate Infatuation And True Love)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.