Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,029 members, 7,835,490 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

The burning cold - Literature (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The burning cold (47278 Views)

Story:lost In A Cold World(an Emotional Story) / Jos, December And Cold. / UNYIME-IVY KING – “burning Hurt” Akwa Ibom’s Bestfemale Literary Fiction Writer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 10:52pm On Feb 08, 2013
I rushed into my room for no reason (I do that a lot) and when I came out, all the minions were too busy to even pay me ant notice. I checked the time and I was really running late for that reap as the time read 2:15. I thought of disappearing and I decided against it. The mall was always crowded and me showing up their might freak people out if they knew but they was no way I could drive and still be there in good time and I can’t be late for this, I closed my eyes and tried to see how the mall was. I knew the layout but I needed to see the population of the mall so I would know exactly where to drop myself without making the 7 o’clock news that night for weird events. Then a thought came to me

“Why not go into the toilet? It is not like they take counts of everyone that goes into the toilet nah”

I found myself in an almost clean toilet and the first thing that hit me was the stink from the waste product of the person using the next toilet, do I blame him? With the type of junk food they sell here, I consider the poo a fair one. No time to waste, I had to find my subject among a sea of heads and make sure she died too. This was really not a good day to reap and certainly, the reap is going to be very messy. Crowds always have a way of blowing everything out of proportion and death in a crowded place is just crazy.

I walked to the end of the aisle I was and desperately looking for the person I was supposed to reap without finding her.
“This is not good” I told myself. How can I lose someone with everything at my disposal?
I sat down on a chair place for weary shoppers and closed my eyes trying to remember her face again and all I got was her face. Just like a snap shot of just her face and nothing else. I wish I could also see the location where she dies of where she will be at a time but I did not have that luxury. I looked to my side and saw a little girl with a huge pack of pop-corn and for some strange reason, my stomach turned.
“I can’t be hungry” I thought to myself. “This is just me longing for some sugar”
I checked the time and it was 2:35.
Things are not going well at all. Not in the least and yet the crowd could not allow me see anything or anyone even if I recognized that person’s face. I knew my Boss would not be happy if I don’t get this reap but there was nothing I could do. My subject was proving evasive and I was tiring my best to find her without success.
I decided to wait anyway. There will be someone that will notice someone’s death, scream and then I could hope the soul behaves in the way it is supposed and look for the nearest path but if this one failed to behave, it might get real messy because I might have to use some spells to draw it towards me. I sat down and waited

2:40

5 minutes to go and an idea crept into my head. If the soul did not behave, I will need to go invisible to claim so I decided to use my third eye just in case I need it and immediately I open it, I saw what I was looking for. The first thing my eyes fell on was my target, I first thought it was something I imagined until I closed my eyes and looked again with my natural ones and discovered that my third eye might see things which most time I hate seeing but it also leads me to what my job was. There she was standing beside the balcony and leaning back on the railings while talking to a young man.

I got up and moved close to the couple. I stood beside her and also rested on the railing. I looked to where the railing was attached to the wall and removed my hand. If the railing was not strong and she was to fall, then I might be told to make a statement which I was not in any mood for right then. I was not even interested in involving the law in my dealings at all so I stood back and watched the lady talk to her companion. Suddenly, there was a noise in front. More like a scream

“Help he stole my purse”

People turned in the direction of the scream including the guy talking to the lady as a young man ran in the direction of the balcony. People stretched their hands to stop the thief but he was just too strong and too fast to be caught. I thought of a spell to stop him but decided against it; I was there for one thing and the thief was none of my business. The thief continued running towards us as the stairs were close to the balcony and just as he was about to turn into the stairway, he slipped and crashed into the floor. His fall was fast and what happened next was even faster as he when sliding towards the railing on the other side where the lady was leaning on and he crashed into it.

The railing was pushed out of its attachment inside the wall it was pushed outwards and the lady sitting on top of it went with the railing.

2:44

She tried to hold on to a part and the young man tried to reach out to her but it happened too fast as the railing was thrown outwards and was dangling with her holding on carefully.

She screamed and I got ready for her. her eyes showed fear and horror while I was cool and calm. Almost immediately, everyone ran towards her but it was too late as her hand holding on to the railing was too weak and she fell from 5 floors down.
I was not about to allow her feel the pain of all that and so I said the spell I learnt from Toba. The death spell and killed her before she hit the ground. The spell was only to be used on people who were marked to die anyway and she was going to die anyway. Immediately, I said the spell, I saw her soul fly out, came in my direction and into the wrist band.

Mission accomplished and I turned to leave towards the same stairway which the thief wanted to go towards as everyone ran in the direction of the balcony. The young man was screaming for help and someone downstairs was screaming too. Too bad but what’s the point?

I was at the stairway when I heard a familiar voice call my name. the voice was one from a long past I could tell but who it was I could not really say. I stopped and turned around to see her face……………………

1 Like

Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 11:43pm On Feb 08, 2013
Finally she don come o!
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 9:18am On Feb 09, 2013
grin I can't wait for the next episode mbok.

1 Like

Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 12:30pm On Feb 09, 2013
D voice of d one u risked everything 4,d voice of d one dt made death itself hunt u. D voice of the one that u erased ha name from the books of death
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 1:21pm On Feb 09, 2013
ijebabe: Finally she don come o!

aproko woman,
who ask you?
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 2:13pm On Feb 12, 2013
Immediately I saw the face, my heart leaped and almost came into my mouth, my eyes grew dry and my legs wobbled, her beauty was displayed even in the shock that was apparent on her face. Her face disappeared for some seconds as more people rush towards where the lady had fallen in the hope to save her while some just pulled out their mobile handset and took pictures of the body down below. I knew for a certain more people will be down stairs taking pictures of her body too but I did not care. My eyes were fixed on a face I did not want to lose for a second time and I made my way through the crowd of apparently jobless and unhelpful onlookers.

I managed to pull through to the other side and was greeted by a very warm hug. I had wanted to give an handshake but who cares anymore? I was in her arms and it felt okay

Some people turned to look at us as though we were insensitive but I had my excuse as the reaper’s messenger and I did not care what her own was. We broke up the embrace and she took another look at me

“Peter you have grown into a big boy oo”

Well boy was the last thing I was expecting to be called but who cares| when you see a girl that cute and you connect with her, you would not mind being called anything.

“How have you been Chidinma? It has been a long time since I saw you”

“Yes the last time we saw was…..”

And before she completed that, she paused and left it to hang in the air.

She looked towards the gathering crowds and asked

“what is happening there?”

My first reaction was to tell her but I did not really care about them. What is done is done. I answered

“I don’t know and I am seriously not interested in finding out. Are you here with someone? If not, we should find a better spot to sit and talk”
she smiled and shook her head at the same time,

“Peter, your attitude has not changed after all these years. I wonder what else did not change about you. Well I am not here with anyone so and going elsewhere is a great idea”

We left there crowds and went to find another spot where we sat down, had lunch and shared a couple of laughs.

“So seriously Peter, what do you do now?”

I felt my mouth go dry as I did not have a response. No one asked me that in a while because I just assumed everyone thought I was out of school and so I should have a job somewhere. I had not fashioned a lie to that effect yet and it was about to take the fun out of everything.

I replied;

“I am a book keeper at a store. My mum’s store to be precise, she has a lot of goods coming in and she has no one to keep an eye on it but since I am good with numbers and all, I decided to help her out. That is what I do but really, I am an online advertisement consultant. I suggest Websites to companies to place their adverts and collect the commissions”

She gave a smile and said

“So the type of thing where you can work anywhere and everywhere you find yourself right?”

“Well there is no office and there is no security but the pay is good and the hours are even better. Plus working in an office under a boss is something I am not in for. So enough about me, what does this beautiful woman in front of me do for a living?”

She also had a startled look on her face but she was all cool about it;

“At the moment, I work as a computer analyst in the office of the State Security Service”

At that, my eyes widened as I went like “huh… What does that mean?”

“It is pretty simple actually, I work with the SSS to put together a database for crimes which are solved, not solved and closed cases. It is also one which I can do at home as they just send me the files and I get to it but it takes a lot of time and secrecy is the watchword. I won’t be surprised if they had someone watching me and tapped my phone right now”

I looked behind her and behind me then said;

“Whoever they sent to watch you should really be having a nice time. And that is not a joke”

She had a puzzled look and said;

“Why is that person having a nice time?”

I smiled and sat back

“If I was sent to watch you, I would be the happiest man alive”

“What is there to be happy about Peter?”

“What is not there? I would have the honor of following someone so beautiful around ad see her face always yet, I will get paid for it. That is what I call the perfect type of job”

She shook her head again and said;

“Keep flattering me Peter because if memory serves me right, you were the one who got tired of my face”

“I certainly did not, I was young and did not know what to do with an angel”

At that she look at her wrist watch and said;

“I have to head home now, I have a lot of work to do”.

“She wrote her number on a piece of paper and passed it to me

“Call me later so we can talk more and I certainly hope you are grown enough to handle me now because I need to be handled”

She got up, turned around and walked away leaving me to watch her leave.

Suddenly, I was jolted out of my fantasy and I ran after her. how could I just allowed her walk away and not go with her? I caught up with her at the car park as she was about to enter her car and she said;

“I thought we had said our goodbyes”

“Well I could not allow you go like that. Mind if I give you a lift?”

She pulled out a set of keys from her bag, “I love driving myself darl”

“Okay, then I guess it was nice seeing you again”

she got into the car behind her and she rolled down the glass and said;

“Peter, why don’t you give me your number? I don’t trust you enough to wait for your call”

“Why don’t you?”

“Well I would rather I have a line to call you on incase your childhood self returns and decides against calling me”

I collected a really cute notepad and wrote my number for her.

“I still don’t see why you want it, I will call and besides, you know where I live”

A smile appeared on her face;

As she pulled the car back, I realize I made another some silly mistakes

Why did I ask to give her a ride? I was not there with my car. I dropped my wallet back home so there is no chance of me getting a taxi
I had no choice but to go back the way I came into the mall. I walked back to the mall happy to have seen her and the fact that she dropped hints of us been together made me happier. I went up the stairs and into the toilet without even shutting the door and as I walked through the door I found myself looking at the door back home.
I looked back at the car pack and saw mum’s car parked there indicating that she was home. I turned the knob and entered to see her coming out of the kitchen with a plate of rice in her hand. She took a spoonful into her mouth and said

“How are you doing son? I hope your day went well?”
“Yes it did, I met an old friend and we really talk…….”

Just as I was talking, I realized that I was not standing anymore. I was staying upright but my feet were not on the ground as I started floating in mid-air.
“Erm mum, what is going on”

She did not answer as she sat down on a chair and said;

“Well, since we have gotten off how your day went, you might want to explain why you were interrogating my minion. And you can do it in the position you are right now. But please don’t make the mistake of thinking I am joking because I could get really ugly right now”

“Come on mum, let me down, we can talk this over and besides, I am not done with how my day went”

she took another spoonful to her mouth and I crashed into the ground. I had bruises on my elbows and knees and she did not even look at me anymore.
Then she dropped the spoon smiled as I saw my bruises heal themselves

“I am sorry son, I had a crazy day which I am not willing to discuss so don’t ask. And oh, I heard someone died at the mall today, do you know anything about it?”

1 Like

Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 4:38pm On Feb 12, 2013
Its high time peter starts challenging his mum o.
Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 4:46pm On Feb 12, 2013
“Call me later so we can talk more and I certainly hope you are grown enough to handle me now because I need to be handled
That just sent me tripping! Hahaha! I could very well imagine Peter's fantasy grin
Re: The burning cold by adeswagsdmj(m): 7:18pm On Feb 12, 2013
y does it take u tyme 2 upload tripaternal nd even d burning cold pls try 2 update more
Re: The burning cold by Onyeoma3: 7:18pm On Feb 12, 2013
ijebabe: “Call me later so we can talk more and I certainly hope you are grown enough to handle me now because I need to be handled
That just sent me tripping! Hahaha! I could very well imagine Peter's fantasy grin

She'll probably av in mind to handle Peter like a child, payback time...badt galz...
Re: The burning cold by IZUKWU(m): 7:58pm On Feb 12, 2013
ijebabe: “Call me later so we can talk more and I certainly hope you are grown enough to handle me now because I need to be handled

i need a lady to give me that type of permission on her !
Re: The burning cold by Fishoy(f): 1:17pm On Feb 16, 2013
IZUKWU: i need a lady to give me that type of permission on her !

wud'nt mynd if u cn take d job
Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 2:39pm On Feb 16, 2013
IZUKWU: i need a lady to give me that type of permission on her !
Hahaha, wouldn't you just love that? grin
Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 2:40pm On Feb 16, 2013
Onye oma:

She'll probably av in mind to handle Peter like a child, payback time...badt galz...
I can't wait to find out what she meant by that hahaha
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 6:42am On Mar 02, 2013
“Of course I knew something about it, I killed the young lady who I was supposed to reap before she died and I don’t have an inch of remorse for what I did because she would still die anyway” was what I wanted to say to her and then maybe add, “You should not threaten me like this in future mum, I am not that kid you gave birth to anymore, I am a grown man and I am capable of taking care of myself”.

But of course I could not say that, I saw what mum and her friends did to Toba and I was not in the mood to test my strength against her. I had once had the thought of getting my own place and the thought came back into my head. Mum was treating me like a child and I needed my space by all means.

I had walked away and was almost at the door to my room when I turned back and when to meet her in the sitting room

“Mum, do you mind if I have a word with you?”

“As long as you are not about to tell me about how you have gotten some girl pregnant and I am supposed to follow you to meet her parents, I don’t mind”

For some reason, the reply she gave me made me quiet and stunned because that was the last thing I was expecting her to say to me. And when I looked at her face I saw a certain seriousness in her eyes that made me believe she was not joking about what she said and then suddenly, she started laughing while I stood in front of her confused.

“Pete, you need to see how your face was, I was just kidding with you and if you got a girl pregnant, I will be delighted. I am old enough to be a grandma and I would not mind throwing a big witchy wedding. Why don’t you take a seat and tell me what’s bothering you?'

I sat down and could not bring myself to say what was in my head. I remember thinking what if she took it the wrong way and gets angry? What if she does not understand? I was quiet for more that 5 minutes and her voice brought me out of my head;

“You do realize that even though I can tell you are deep in thought, I can’t read your mind so you will have to tell me what is going through that mind of yours before the suspense kills me”

I realized that I would have to say it at one point and said

“Mum, I am moving out”

She was obviously shocked by what I said or the way I said it. To be honest, it came out of my mouth wrongly as I did not really know how to put it to her. She fluttered a little.

“Well, I guess I should have expected you to do this along the line, I just did not know when. So have you gotten a place yet?”

I shook my head.

“I have not gotten a place but I know it will be a flat somewhere quiet. On the mainland maybe but I want you to know that this has nothing to do with you. I just feel like I need my own space”

She looked at me with her eyebrows raised and the look said, “Yeah right, not because of me my foot”.

“If you need anything in terms of advice on furniture you know who to call and I since there is no woman in the picture right now, do I get to shop for kitchen utensils for you?”

I smiled and rose to give her a peck on her cheek. I was about to when my phone rang from my pocket. She was expecting the peck and the vibrations in my trouser by the phone was giving me some hassles so I dipped my hand to take the phone out. She kissed my head and left the sitting room. Funny thing was I did not hear her footsteps; almost as though she floated out of the room.

I looked into the phone and saw that it was an unknown number my instincts told me it was Chidinma as I did not have a lot of people calling me in the first instance anyway.I spoke into the phone.

“Hello, good evening”

A female voice replied

“Hi, is this Peter?”

The voice sounded familiar but I could not out my finger to it but I was certain it was not Chidinma. A part of me wanted to flow through the connection to wherever the person was (yes I can do that) but I was just curious to se how it plays out.

“This is peter, who am I speaking with?”

“I don’t know if you would remember me but this is Bunmi. We were neighbours when you were in school”

The strings in my head were all pulled in one direction as her face came to my mind, my mind was all of a suddenly filled with the times we spent together as I sat down on the nearest chair.

“Of course I remember you, how have you been? It has been a long time since I heard from you, hope you are good?”

“Yes I am, I lost my previous phone and I got this number from a friend of mine that I ran into today. It is not like I ignored you or anything.”

I was too stunned to remember that we had lost contact because she did not keep contact with me to even be angry at her.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 6:43am On Mar 02, 2013
“So where are you now? You working or what?”

“I am staying in Lagos and I learnt you also do. Do you think we can meet and talk? We have a lot to talk about if you don’t mind”

“Of course I don’t mind, I would love to meet with you, just pick the date and venue and I will be there”

“Okay are you busy tomorrow?”

I answered almost before she finished talking.

“I am completely free, just give me the time and place and I will be there”

She asked that we meet for lunch somewhere on the mainland around 2pm, before she hung up. I had nothing to do the next day so it was okay with me but immediately I hung up, my thoughts went to Chidinma and I drove the thoughts out of my head. I was not involved with any of them at the moment so I was not breaking any rules.

I left the sitting room and went to the kitchen to get something to eat and hoping I was not about to get in between two women.
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 8:13am On Mar 02, 2013
hmmmmm...
i actually thought u had forgotten this one when it didn't get updated after the other.
is the i cant really remember the bunmi girl and am not about to go back and find out so somebody could just be merciful enuff to tell me.
you're doing a nice job, keep at it.
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 9:14am On Mar 02, 2013
dubem3: hmmmmm...
i actually thought u had forgotten this one when it didn't get updated after the other.
is the i cant really remember the bunmi girl and am not about to go back and find out so somebody could just be merciful enuff to tell me.
you're doing a nice job, keep at it.
bunmi is dat gal,dat pete was yanching back then in skul, (pete's neighbour that slept in pete's room,but became pete's gal) i don't av to say every thing about ha na.
Re: The burning cold by Onyeoma3: 9:27am On Mar 02, 2013
Damex333: bunmi is dat gal,dat pete was yanching back then in skul, (pete's neighbour that slept in pete's room,but became pete's gal) i don't av to say every thing about ha na.

In addition, Bunmi is that girl that Peter's mum told him that she had had series of abortion and she'll never give way for her to be her daughter-in-law.
Bunmi is Peter's play mate in bed and also his stand-by generator he uses to cure his craze.
Who knows he mite as well run the generator tomorrow afternoon...
UMUNWANYI SEF...***hisses*** and continues to wait for the next update.
Nice work Mynd44,only that we've been struggling very hard trying to keep cobwebs away from covering this thread...pls do justice as required...

2 Likes

Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 9:37am On Mar 02, 2013
i tot of that but i didnt want to believe that all these while, given the way he felt at the realisation of her past, he gave no thought to the pain he felt. he was just looking forward to running after her like a randy 'obuko''mkpi' even the thought of a seemingly classy cheek dieing for him fid not deter him...SMH

onye oma hapu umu nwanyi. ha di ka chi ha si ke ha .
Re: The burning cold by Onyeoma3: 9:44am On Mar 02, 2013
dubem3: i tot of that but i didnt want to believe that all these while, given the way he felt at the realisation of her past, he gave no thought to the pain he felt. he was just looking forward to running after her like a randy 'obuko''mkpi' even the thought of a seemingly classy cheek dieing for him fid not deter him...SMH

onye oma hapu umu nwanyi. ha di ka chi ha si ke ha .

My broda,na so naa, though say they be cwious case study, their role in our lives can never be underestimated
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 9:44am On Mar 02, 2013
You guys know this story oooo.

I am flattered that you actually know all this

**shocked and blushing**
Re: The burning cold by Onyeoma3: 9:51am On Mar 02, 2013
Mynd_44: You guys know this story oooo.

I am flattered that you actually know all this

**shocked and blushing**

Mynd44...no too blush ooo,na only those areas we go fit boast of remebering virtually everytin that happened in the story, other areas na Gabbage In Gabbage Out
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 9:57am On Mar 02, 2013
Onye oma:

Mynd44...no too blush ooo,na only those areas we go fit boast of remebering virtually everytin that happened in the story, other areas na Gabbage In Gabbage Out
Thank you very much
gringringringringrin
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 10:11am On Mar 02, 2013
Onye oma:

why not just keep the man's bubble intact, take a bow and be in your way?
Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 1:41pm On Mar 02, 2013
Peter! After the many abortions she's done behind your back, you no wan learn? Abi you want your mom to send her on her permanent message to the devil? Hian!

1 Like

Re: The burning cold by IZUKWU(m): 4:18am On Mar 28, 2013
26 days and counting!
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 8:18am On Mar 28, 2013
IZUKWU: 26 days and counting!

am counting with you

na to set better blow for darkness make he run enter am
Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 11:27am On Mar 28, 2013
Let him finish TPS first na. Na wa o angry
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 12:57pm On Mar 28, 2013
Where is this?
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 3:05pm On Mar 28, 2013
Mynd_44: Where is this?
inside your yansh!

Don't try this again o. See as I just think say na update angry
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 3:23pm On Mar 28, 2013
brokoto: inside your yansh!

Don't try this again o. See as I just think say na update angry
I cannot be held responsible for your thoughts

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Blind Love / Mercy Said No! - A Christian Romance Story / Chimamanda Adichie And Her Husband Welcomed A Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.