Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,887 members, 7,810,419 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science (5920 Views)

5 Reasons Why Spooning With Your Spouse Is Healthy, Says Science / Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? / Successful Women Have Plenty Men In Their Lives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by coogar: 4:44pm On Jul 20, 2012
davidylan:

Maturity does not necessarily come with intelligence. Are you trying to say the 40 yr old pepper seller is not mature since she is probably too dull to learn algebra?

the word maturity is often used to describe intelligence or when an individual makes the right decisions e.g. wayne rooney has now "mature". it means rooney is now more intelligent, smarter and makes the right decisions more often than not.

a pepper seller might not be book smart but will be intelligent in other ways. at least she knows a bit of arithmetic to know the correct change to give back to her customers. she's also smart enough to be involved in a profitable venture. how is she not intelligent?

1 Like

Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by dayokanu(m): 4:49pm On Jul 20, 2012
coogar:

the relationships most of the girls find themselves at this level are sometimes more mentally tasking than what older women face in their marriages. i think the competition to be accepted by the boys is one of the many distractions girls often face at this level. If you study the trajectory, girls shoot up in the early childhood then suddenly stop and the boys catch up with them and later leave the girls in their wake. the question is why do girls generally stop in their teens? what could be responsible?

So at what point in time are girls more intelligent than men? Just between the age of 1-10? You were the same one that claimed starting to date makes them more intelligent, Are you saying Girls taking Common Entrance date?

coogar: take a look at the national common entrance exams and you will find your answer.

In my primary school the top 6 were guys and only one girl made into the top 10 in my sets National Common entrance result

coogar: emotionally or mentally?

The topic is IQ which is Intelligence measurement not a maturity Quotient.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by dayokanu(m): 4:52pm On Jul 20, 2012
coogar:

the word maturity is often used to describe intelligence or when an individual makes the right decisions e.g. wayne rooney has now "mature". it means rooney is now more intelligent, smarter and makes the right decisions more often than not.

a pepper seller might not be book smart but will be intelligent in other ways. at least she knows a bit of arithmetic to know the correct change to give back to her customers. she's also smart enough to be involved in a profitable venture. how is she not intelligent?

Even in Sports the word intelligence and mature are not similar.

An example is George best, reputed to be one of the most intelligent british footballer ever but not matured in his conduct similar to Mario Ballotelli
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 4:56pm On Jul 20, 2012
dayokanu:

Simply put, best student in the history of OAU.

Someone even mentioned it on this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/866626/celebrating-great-ife-50/4#10251580

Doyo, i am not talking about best student overall....lets assume we have 20 departments in a school...i want to know what the best student in each department is. don't give me that overall best student, it means nothing. then we will analyse the ratio of the men to the women.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by coogar: 4:57pm On Jul 20, 2012
dayokanu:

So at what point in time are girls more intelligent than men? Just between the age of 1-10? You were the same one that claimed starting to date makes them more intelligent, Are you saying Girls taking Common Entrance date?

listen to yourself - you guys are just confused! intelligence is diverse. being book smart is different from being street smart. this is why a common area boy can outfox davidylan even with his 4.999CGPA. when I said girls get more exposed than boys, I was talking about them being more street smart. this is why none of your secondary school class mates dated you and they were running after university boys then. to them then, you were mentally inferior! grin

In my primary school the top 6 were guys and only one girl made into the top 10 in my sets National Common entrance result

i don't expect you to claim otherwise. i am surprised you trimmed it down to top 6. the dayokanu of 3 yrs ago would have said the top 2000 students were males!

The topic is IQ which is Intelligence measurement not a maturity Quotient.

how does this affect the price of fish? you are making a blatant error of thinking only academicians can have a high intelligence quotient! you need brain tonic!
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by maclatunji: 4:58pm On Jul 20, 2012
This looks like one of those 20-page threads.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by coogar: 5:01pm On Jul 20, 2012
dayokanu:

Even in Sports the word intelligence and mature are not similar.

An example is George best, reputed to be one of the most intelligent british footballer ever but not matured in his conduct similar to Mario Ballotelli

i want to see the article that described george best as intelligent and immature in the same breath. failure to produce it in the next couple of hours then it's safe to conclude you are a lunatic! the moment anyone is described as immature then he is not intelligent within that time frame!

so in your opinion, you think balotelli is intelligent?
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by dayokanu(m): 5:01pm On Jul 20, 2012
ronkebp:

Doyo, i am not talking about best student overall....lets assume we have 20 departments in a school...i want to know what the best student in each department is. don't give me that overall best student, it means nothing. then we will analyse the ratio of the men to the women.

What difference does this make? the whole school uses a uniform GPA

The best student in Psycology has 4.2, the best student in Sociology has 4.5

Overall in the school the Sociology student is the best graduating student
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by tpia5: 5:04pm On Jul 20, 2012
coogar:

when a life form breastfeeds, cook, wash, get pregnant, rear children, bleed for 5 days every month and does not die as a result - it will be almost impossible for her to ace the other gender who does not have to worry about these things. let's base this study on the period when the difference between the males and the females is negligible!

but i already told you i did not find women to be more intelligent than men during my teenage years.

that was actually the time I discovered females dont have higher IQs in general than males.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by dayokanu(m): 5:11pm On Jul 20, 2012
In Sports Intelligent is the same as Talented.

coogar:

i want to see the article that described george best as intelligent and immature in the same breath. failure to produce it in the next couple of hours then it's safe to conclude you are a lunatic! the moment anyone is described as immature then he is not intelligent within that time frame!

so in your opinion, you think balotelli is intelligent?

On one level this is a remarkable boast, but from Best it sounds banal. George Best is an intelligent man. He has an IQ of 158 and was the only child in his class to pass his eleven-plus. But this 'yeah' is clearly, understandably, a tired answer to a question he has been asked far too many times. He has, after all, been told he is a genius so often that it seems unremarkable to him

Even a charitable assessment of George Best's character would have to allow that he has been immature, self-centred, vain, bloody-minded and possibly cynical in the way that he has made a lot of money out of talking about his illness - 'I use the press as much as it uses me,' he says

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/4725782/The-Best-of-all-worlds.html
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by SisiKill1: 5:34pm On Jul 20, 2012
[size=14pt]He's Not as Smart as He Thinks[/size]

A British researcher reports that the male ego is often larger than his actual IQ. But you might be surprised by what think of men's intellect.

Are men smarter than women? No. But they sure think they are. An analysis of some 30 studies by British researcher Adrian Furnham, a professor of psychology at University College London, shows that men and women are fairly equal overall in terms of IQ. But women, it seems, underestimate their own candlepower (and that of women in general), while men overestimate theirs. Furnham talks to NEWSWEEK's Joan Raymond about his findings and why perceived IQ matters.

Excerpts

NEWSWEEK: Many studies show that men score slightly higher in IQ tests. Is this significant?

Adrian Furnham: Universally, men tend to score higher on certain specialized skills, such as spatial awareness. In the real world, that means they might be better at reading maps or navigating. Women score higher in terms of language development and emotional intelligence. But most experts agree there is no real, important overall difference when it comes to gender and intelligence

But women think they aren't as smart as men?
That's the conundrum. What I study is "perceived intelligence," essentially how smart people think they are. I analyzed 30 international studies, and what I found was that women, across the world, tend to underplay their intelligence, while men overstate it.
(Me - and herein lies the problem. . .as evidenced by some comments on this thread)

So do most men think they're Albert Einstein?
There certainly is a greater male ego. It's what we call the male hubris and female humility effect. Men are more confident about their IQ.

These studies show that on average, women underestimate their IQ scores by about five points while men overestimate their own IQs. Since these studies were international in scope, the results were essentially the same whether women were from Argentina, America, Britain, Japan or Zimbabwe. Another factor affecting perception may be distribution of IQ ... Although [men and women] are on average the same, the people at the very top and the very bottom of the IQ bell curve are more likely to be men.

That is a pattern that we see in the university setting, with men either being at the very top of the class or at the bottom.

Do women tend to think that men are smarter than they are?
Surprisingly, [both] men and women perceive men being smarter across generations. Both sexes believe that their fathers are smarter than their mothers and grandfathers are more intelligent than their grandmothers.

What about the kids?
If there are children, [both] men and women think their sons are brighter than their daughters.

READ MORE HERE
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by coogar: 5:34pm On Jul 20, 2012
dayokanu: In Sports Intelligent is the same as Talented.

On one level this is a remarkable boast, but from Best it sounds banal. George Best is an intelligent man. He has an IQ of 158 and was the only child in his class to pass his eleven-plus. But this 'yeah' is clearly, understandably, a tired answer to a question he has been asked far too many times. He has, after all, been told he is a genius so often that it seems unremarkable to him

Even a charitable assessment of George Best's character would have to allow that he has been immature, self-centred, vain, bloody-minded and possibly cynical in the way that he has made a lot of money out of talking about his illness - 'I use the press as much as it uses me,' he says

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/4725782/The-Best-of-all-worlds.html

you are a troglodyte!
what part of "within the same time frame" got lost on you? best was intelligent when he was young and he later became an addict of alcohol and possibly drugs and you are here
merging over 3 decades to prove combined intelligence and immaturity? you need to give back your degree certificate- you don't deserve it!

by a stroke of fate, if bill gates become an addict tomorrow and starts doing things that many would deem irresponsible, you would claim he is immature too? dayo--you cannot be intelligent this minute and be immature in the same instance. as at when george was described as intelligent with an intelligence quotient of 158, he wasn't immature then!
his alcoholism led him to do the unspeakable things he did later in life and it ultimately cost him his life!
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by kay9(m): 6:24pm On Jul 20, 2012
Sisi_Kill: He's Not as Smart as He Thinks...
A British researcher reports that the male ego is often larger than his actual IQ...
Are men smarter than women? No. But they sure think they are...
NEWSWEEK: Many studies show that men score slightly higher in IQ tests. Is this significant...?
Universally, men tend to score higher on certain specialized skills...[what I] found was that women, across the world, tend to underplay their intelligence, while men overstate it.[/b] (Me - and herein lies the problem. . .as evidenced by some comments on this thread). So do most men think they're Albert Einstein?
There certainly is a greater male ego...

My dear Sisi_Kill, i've tried to summarise your arguments above - and if i did a bad job, u can always make amends.. And u know what? I truly and honestly couldn't care less. You know why? COS ITS ALL BESIDE THE FRIGGIN' POINT!! The POINT of this thread (that YOU, Sisi_Kill created) is that WOMEN have higher I.Q's than MEN - or isnt it?? Thus telling me about how men have been ''illegally'' boosting their collective I.Qs over the ages doesn't in ANY way translate to women having HIGHER ones. Gerrit?

For record purposes, lemme categorically state that i do NOT think men have higher intelligence. Some men might think so, but i'm not ''some men''. Now, if u wana take up issues with the ''some men'' who think so, by all means do so - but on another thread, which i'm sure u'll soon create!! I'll even support u there grin wink But as for THIS thread's topic, i hereby boldly and in all my puffed-up black male's pride, proudly submit that it is as moot as Ras Kimono's fucckin come-back song! grin
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by SisiKill1: 6:48pm On Jul 20, 2012
kay9:

My dear Sisi_Kill, i've tried to summarise your arguments above - and if i did a bad job, u can always make amends.. And u know what? I truly and honestly couldn't care less. You know why? COS ITS ALL BESIDE THE FRIGGIN' POINT!! The POINT of this thread (that YOU, Sisi_Kill created) is that WOMEN have higher I.Q's than MEN - or isnt it?? Thus telling me about how men have been ''illegally'' boosting their collective I.Qs over the ages doesn't in ANY way translate to women having HIGHER ones. Gerrit?

For record purposes, lemme categorically state that i do NOT think men have higher intelligence. Some men might think so, but i'm not ''some men''. Now, if u wana take up issues with the ''some men'' who think so, by all means do so - but on another thread, which i'm sure u'll soon create!! I'll even support u there grin wink But as for THIS thread's topic, i hereby boldly and in all my puffed-up black male's pride, proudly submit that it is as moot as Ras Kimono's fucckin come-back song! grin

Bwahahahahaha!! grin grin grin

Yes, the original intent of the thread was to show that women have a higher IQ. . .no wait that's not right. . .the original, original intent was to counter the claim made by some men that women do not have the head for STEM subjects, then it shifted to Women having a higher IQ. The responses of some of you lovely male folks shifted the intent. . .a third. . .fourth time

Does it make sense? And if doesn't don't fret coz I've lost track too. cheesy
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by kay9(m): 7:00pm On Jul 20, 2012
^^ Thought as much... Same old, same old Sisi_Kill wink
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 7:07pm On Jul 20, 2012
dayokanu:

What difference does this make? the whole school uses a uniform GPA

The best student in Psycology has 4.2, the best student in Sociology has 4.5

Overall in the school the Sociology student is the best graduating student

Sorry was at lunch...(had chinese mixed vegetables...nice!!!!)....So what are you saying...MR.

Let us all be realistic here....there are different groups of intelligent people...the highly intelligent (men and women), the moderatley intelligent (men and women) amd the low /dullards (men and women)....

Now, for us to determine the genuinety of the survey...is to have;
Group 1 (highly intelligent)
-10 men and 10 women.

2. Group 2 (moderately intelligent)
-10 men and 10 women

3. Group 2 (low/not too bright)
-10 men and 10 women....

once this survey has been done, we can now tell who has the higer-intelligent rating gender-wise, because it is even

B. now, the combination of this different Intelligence in a classroom is very important, you could have a combination of highly intelligent students, or just few intelligent ones and more dullards in the classroom or departments,.

c. The ratio of the gender in those classrooms could also be a factor, are there more men than women (as with the science departments)? most guys do sciences more than women and women do art subjects more than the guys too...so if in a department you have 30 guys to 10 babes, taking a particular course, who do you think would emerge 1st and vice versa....??

Now there are exceptions. The exceptions are 30 guys : 10 babes, and one of the babes come out tops, or 30 babes :10 guys and one of the guys come out tops.

1 Like

Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by dayokanu(m): 7:48pm On Jul 20, 2012
In a whole University, the ratio of male students to female is about the same.

So women have equal chances of success as the men. yet in most situation its the men that come on top

Unless you want to say there are more male students in UNILAG than female or more Male students take UME than female was what made the Male students most of the time come on tops
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jul 20, 2012
dayokanu:

Actually most book smart and intelligent people are known to be emotional babies e.g Seun Osewa cheesy
Funny but true. Seun can be emotional sometimes. . . . .
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 7:56pm On Jul 20, 2012
dayokanu: In a whole University, the ratio of male students to female is about the same.

So women have equal chances of success as the men. yet in most situation its the men that come on top

Unless you want to say there are more male students in UNILAG than female or more Male students take UME than female was what made the Male students most of the time come on tops

In the whole university the ratio might be the same, but in different departments the ratio is not equal....you will defintely have more men in science subjects than the female, and in arts/social sciences more female than men.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by dayokanu(m): 8:06pm On Jul 20, 2012
ronkebp:

In the whole university the ratio might be the same, but in different departments the ratio is not equal....you will defintely have more men in science subjects than the female, and in arts/social sciences more female than men.

Ok. So if there are more women in Arts, why are the women in these departments or anywhere else not breaking the schools records
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 9:09pm On Jul 20, 2012
dayokanu:

Ok. So if there are more women in Arts, why are the women in these departments or anywhere else not breaking the schools records

And where is your proof? you have forgotten that there are different years and different results, just because a guy finished this year does not mean a woman has never taken the lead.

In my department like i said before, i was the first because of my GPA and others followed, the others that followed were women, i did not even know about it at first....i was told by other people that saw the list. So in my case, just because i came first in the year i graduated does not mean that another person (whether male or female did not come first).

You talked about convenant, the guy who had a 4.98 GPA, i was talking about Redeemers University where a lady graduated with a 1st class with GPA 4.99 or so...her name is SEUN Peters, an accounting student. And that was in the whole set and whole school.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by coogar: 9:37pm On Jul 20, 2012
tpia@:
but i already told you i did not find women to be more intelligent than men during my teenage years.

the men and women you are talking about in your teenage years - were they teenagers themselves or senior citizens?

that was actually the time I discovered females dont have higher IQs in general than males.

that's quite strange but then the question begs ---- how did you deduce the women then didn't have a higher intelligence quotient than their male counterparts?
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by tpia5: 11:24pm On Jul 20, 2012
^just take it from me dear.

I disagree with the thread title and premise.

Dear has no connotation beyond the fact that i dont feel like arguing this point, btw.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by SisiKill1: 12:48am On Jul 21, 2012
tpia@:
^just take it from me dear.

I disagree with the thread title and premise.

Dear has no connotation beyond the fact that i dont feel like arguing this point, btw.
Tpia, if you don't mind. . .I would really love to read your thoughts on this.

Why do you disagree (so strongly) with the premise?

@ Ronkebp
This is for you

I don't wonno talk too much before the flog us both cheesy cheesy
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by SisiKill1: 12:52am On Jul 21, 2012
kay9: ^^ Thought as much... Same old, same old Sisi_Kill wink
Hehehehehe! Thanks. . .Boss!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by tpia5: 4:57am On Jul 21, 2012
Tpia, if you don't mind. . .I would really love to read your thoughts on this.

Why do you disagree (so strongly) with the premise?

i havent found it to be true, that's all.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 1:36pm On Jul 21, 2012
tpia@:

i havent found it to be true, that's all.

So that means, if you sit with a guy who is averagely as intelligent as you are, he will beat you hands-down without pitying you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

. / How My Brother-in Law Attempted To Have His Way With Me. / To Live With Newlyweds: Sister Or Brother In-Law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.