Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,927 members, 7,810,574 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:21 AM

Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science (5922 Views)

5 Reasons Why Spooning With Your Spouse Is Healthy, Says Science / Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? / Successful Women Have Plenty Men In Their Lives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by Tgirl4real(f): 3:50pm On Jul 20, 2012
davidylan:

those women got married to much older, mature men who understand what it takes to maintain a marriage. Let us not give these women unnecessary praise here.

I agree
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by coogar: 3:53pm On Jul 20, 2012
maclatunji:

Key word there is "recorded", then again what about the distribution of intelligence. It is funny that you seek to be categorical with your position. However, if it was so certain, researchers wouldn't be spending millions of dollars every year trying to find a definitive answer to the question.

the researchers spending millions everyday trying to look for answers do so cos they do not want to accept what's already researched by their predecessors. distribution of intelligence is a different case entirely......various factors can contribute to any individual having a low/high intelligence quotient.

Let's put things in perspective here, the only reason we have a difference in terms of gender is because of reproduction. Intelligence can exist at the highest levels in both sexes, so it is quite futile to me to seek to promote one gender as being more intelligent than the other. It is that simple, if you disagree, good luck with it. I am not interested in a never-ending-argument with you. tongue

the difference in gender is because of the chromosomes that constitute both sexes. after that, you look at the differences in the hormone levels of the male child in comparison to the female child. intelligence can surely exist at the highest level in both sexes but because of the hormone composition of the females, they are generally better than their male counterparts!
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by dayokanu(m): 4:00pm On Jul 20, 2012
Maturity and intelligence can never be equated

Ronke That was only one woman you knew. I bet most universities in Nigeria and the world always have their best graduating student as male.

In ife for example, The best ever Graduating GPA was a Guy Tope Ajetunmobi, who broke another guys record Deji Akere, Deji Akere broke another guys record Simeon Adeponle,, Simeon broke another guys Record Dr Ohanomah.

A record at the top 10 GPA to ever graduate in Ife would be like a football team roster all male. Similar in most schools. While its never news

1 Like

Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by coogar: 4:02pm On Jul 20, 2012
davidylan:

I disagree with you here. Men are generally smarter than women but women mature faster than men.

that's another argument - you are now saying women are smarter than men just before they start thinking about looking for husbands, bothering about marriage and child rearing.....and it's only when women are distracted by raising a family that the men tend to have the upper hand over them.

in a nutshell, at teenage level - girls are smarter than boys but when you look beyond that, men later catch up and even overtake the women. i can accept that as an argument cos I know girls are generally smarter in the formative years than boys!
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 4:04pm On Jul 20, 2012
dayokanu: Maturity and intelligence can never be equated

Ronke That was only one woman you knew. I bet most universities in Nigeria and the world always have their best graduating student as male.

In ife for example, The best ever Graduating GPA was a Guy Tope Ajetunmobi, who broke another guys record Deji Akere, Deji Akere broke another guys record Simeon Adeponle,, Simeon broke another guys Record Dr Ohanomah.

A record at the top 10 GPA to ever graduate in Ife would be like a football team roster all male.

In all the departments or just one department? you will have to go and carry out a survey of all the best graduating students in every department, then separate the number of top female from men. If this post will still be here when i travel back home, i can go to the university of ibadan to get the data, using university of ibadan as a case study....i have professors that can help.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2012
coogar:

that's another argument - you are now saying women are smarter than men just before they start thinking about looking for husbands, bothering about marriage and child rearing.....and it's only when women are distracted by raising a family that the men tend to have the upper hand over them.

in a nutshell, at teenage level - girls are smarter than boys but when you look beyond that, men later catch up and even overtake the women. i can accept that as an argument cos I know girls are generally smarter in the formative years than boys!

Not at all. Maturity is not the same as being inteligent. There are intelligent 5 yr olds who are emotionally immature and there are very mature 40 yr old folks who could not solve a simple algebraic problem even if their lives depended on it
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2012
ronkebp:

In all the departments or just one department? you will have to go and carry out a survey of all the best graduating students, then separate the number of top female from men.

In every school they are always men. In my school, i was number 8 best graduating GPA out of well over 1000 of us and the entire top 10 roster was 9 boys 1 girl.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by maclatunji: 4:06pm On Jul 20, 2012
According to Coogar, intelligence is in the hormones. grin grin grin Your hypothesis is easily testable in theory, we would just need to isolate the key "hormone(s)" that have induced the "greater intelligence" in women and administer it to young boys of the same age and IQ. Let's say 20 of them in the test group and another 20 in the control group. We would then measure their intelligence after administering the "female intelligence hormones" to them and allowing it to take full effect. If they show increased IQ over our control group, Professor Cooger would become world famous as the man who forever killed the argument on who is smarter between men and women?

However, if the experiment flops what would we call you? Not to talk of the she-men we would have as by-products of the experiment. The ethical questions of such a research would be something to consider too.

What do you think Professor Coogar? grin grin grin

Me, I say it is pointless. How about finding a practical cure for HIV/AIDS that can work for most people with all of this abundant genius eh?

1 Like

Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by dayokanu(m): 4:06pm On Jul 20, 2012
coogar:

How can you say girls are smarter based on this argument

In Secondary school and University most women are single and without marital/family pressures

Yet the men excel . Take a look at UME scores, the highest marks are mostly scored by guys, Are the 16yr old girls taking UME also thinking of families?

Girls mature emotionally faster due to their exposure to older guys but maturity is not equal to intelligence.

Actually most book smart and intelligent people are known to be emotional babies e.g Seun Osewa cheesy
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by maclatunji: 4:07pm On Jul 20, 2012
davidylan:

Not at all. Maturity is not the same as being inteligent. There are intelligent 5 yr olds who are emotionally immature and there are very mature 40 yr old folks who could not solve a simple algebraic problem even if their lives depended on it

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by dayokanu(m): 4:08pm On Jul 20, 2012
ronkebp:

In all the departments or just one department? you will have to go and carry out a survey of all the best graduating students in every department, then separate the number of top female from men. If this post will still be here when i travel back home, i can go to the university of ibadan to get the data, using university of ibadan as a case study....i have professors that can help.

The best graduating student in the whole school since inception!!!

Check the record of the best graduating students in the whole school since inception Its mostly guys
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 4:11pm On Jul 20, 2012
dayokanu:

The best graduating student in the whole school since inception!!!

Check the record of the best graduating students in the whole school since inception Its mostly guys

When i get to IB by God's Grace, i will search it out....unless i see documnets backing that claim up, then it is still a big fat lie.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 4:14pm On Jul 20, 2012
davidylan:

In every school they are always men. In my school, i was number 8 best graduating GPA out of well over 1000 of us and the entire top 10 roster was 9 boys 1 girl.

the students must be dull there, grin grin....trust me, we have the dull ones, that even you splitt their heads open, will still not know what 1+ 1 is. if in your school, 9 people emerged best out of 1000, then there is something wrong....the olodos are more than the intelligent ones.grin grin
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 20, 2012
ronkebp:

the students must be dull there, grin grin....trust me, we have the dull ones, that even you splitt their heads open, will still not know what 1+ 1 is. if in your school, 9 people emerged best out of 1000, then there is something wrong....the olodos are more than the intelligent ones.grin grin

huh? undecided I said top 10 ranked by GPA. What are you talking about?
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by dayokanu(m): 4:18pm On Jul 20, 2012
ronkebp:

When i get to IB by God's Grace, i will search it out....unless i see documnets backing that claim up, then it is still a big fat lie.

Everyone who went to Ife knew this, You can even confirm from Jarus or anyone. its a widely known fact. The best student in almost every school are male
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 4:20pm On Jul 20, 2012
davidylan:

huh? undecided I said top 10 ranked by GPA. What are you talking about?

oh!!! still.....in 1000 students?, just analyse the percentage of the intelligent ones to those that werent.

and i know you are not talking about first class either....so maybe 2-1, so, only 10 people came out with 2-1 in your set,that school needs to be closed. grin grin
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by kay9(m): 4:20pm On Jul 20, 2012
dayokanu:
How can you say girls are smarter based on this argument? In Secondary school and University most women are single and without marital/family pressure, yet the men excel . Take a look at UME scores, the highest marks are mostly scored by guys, Are the 16yr old girls taking UME also thinking of families?
I tire o...

dayokanu:
Girls mature emotionally faster due to their exposure to older guys but maturity is not equal to intelligence. Actually most book smart and intelligent people are known to be emotional babies e.g Seun Osewa cheesy
grin grin U don dey find trouble bah
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by dayokanu(m): 4:21pm On Jul 20, 2012
I just checked now and the best graduting student in UNILAG history is also a guy

Lagos — Iziren Josiah Akhigbe, a graduating student of mechanical engineering; University of Lagos (UNILAG) has set an all time academic record in the varsity's history, graduating with a cumulative 4.98 GPA, first class honours.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by dayokanu(m): 4:23pm On Jul 20, 2012
Best graduating student from Covwenant is also another guy

He is just 19 years old but already has a number of titles attached to his name. He is a business man, distributor, motivator and above all Covenant University's best graduating student.

As Wukeh Egem-Odey, read out his valedictory speech, the crowd could not help but cheer the young man, who beat 1, 338 other graduating students of CU. He scored a CGPA of 4.89 out of a possible 5.0 to bag a first class degree in accountancy.

1 Like

Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by coogar: 4:26pm On Jul 20, 2012
davidylan:

they go hand in hand. maturity is technically sense of responsibility which comes with wisdom, intelligence, experience and sophistication. this is why most companies would even take a 2.1 student with loads of experience over a 1st class student with zero experience. actually, being old and being mature are 2 different things. there are 50 yr-old people that are immature etc. the ability to solve algebraic equations does not prove intelligence. people are intelligent in different ways asides academic intelligence. a music composer who has never been in a math class but composes brilliant musical songs is also intelligent in his own way!

maclatunji: According to Coogar, intelligence is in the hormones. grin grin grin Your hypothesis is easily testable in theory, we would just need to isolate the key "hormone(s)" that have induced the "greater intelligence" in women and administer it to young boys of the same age and IQ. Let's say 20 of them in the test group and another 20 in the control group. We would then measure their intelligence after administering the "female intelligence hormones" to them and allowing it to take full effect. If they show increased IQ over our control group, Professor Cooger would become world famous as the man who forever killed the argument on who is smarter between men and women?

However, if the experiment flops what would we call you? Not to talk of the she-men we would have as by-products of the experiment. The ethical questions of such a research would be something to consider too.

What do you think Professor Coogar? grin grin grin

Me, I say it is pointless. How about finding a practical cure for HIV/AIDS that can work for most people with all of this abundant genius eh?

except that those hormones you wanna pump them with will make the boys grow breasts, make them menstruate, etc which would have defeated the purpose of your experiment.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by tpia5: 4:29pm On Jul 20, 2012
i actually thought it was common knowledge women overall do not have a higher IQ than men.

rather surprising to find out there are people who believe otherwise.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 4:29pm On Jul 20, 2012
dayokanu:

Everyone who went to Ife knew this, You can even confirm from Jarus or anyone. its a widely known fact. The best student in almost every school are male

Nah!!!! show me facts and figures....forget those names you are coining up.....i will send a text or even call my younger brother, he is presently in university of Ife....will ask him to get the info's for me...."best students in all the departments".
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by dayokanu(m): 4:31pm On Jul 20, 2012
coogar:

they go hand in hand. maturity is technically sense of responsibility which comes with wisdom, intelligence, experience and sophistication. this is why most companies would even take a 2.1 student with loads of experience over a 1st class student with zero experience. actually, being old and being mature are 2 different things. there are 50 yr-old people that are immature etc. the ability to solve algebraic equations does not prove intelligence. people are intelligent in different ways asides academic intelligence. a music composer who has never been in a math class but composes brilliant musical songs is also intelligent in his own way!

Intelligence is very different from maturity. People like Newton or Eistein are not necesarily the most matured individuals in their time
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by tpia5: 4:32pm On Jul 20, 2012
the stats overseas may look different i suppose, due to the race relations factor.

but having more females in higher institutions than males, doesnt necessarily translate as females being more intelligent. They're just more persevering and also maybe have less pressure to be studs.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 20, 2012
ronkebp:

oh!!! still.....in 1000 students?, just analyse the percentage of the intelligent ones to those that werent.

and i know you are not talking about first class either....so maybe 2-1, so, only 10 people came out with 2-1 in your set,that school needs to be closed. grin grin

huh? undecided I finished with a first class and i was number 8 in the top 10 so exactly what are you talking about? Do you just feel a pressing need to say something even if it is meaningless?

Do you know what a "ranking" means? Hint: it doesnt mean "only".
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by coogar: 4:34pm On Jul 20, 2012
dayokanu:
How can you say girls are smarter based on this argument
In Secondary school and University most women are single and without marital/family pressures

the relationships most of the girls find themselves at this level are sometimes more mentally tasking than what older women face in their marriages. i think the competition to be accepted by the boys is one of the many distractions girls often face at this level. If you study the trajectory, girls shoot up in the early childhood then suddenly stop and the boys catch up with them and later leave the girls in their wake. the question is why do girls generally stop in their teens? what could be responsible?

Yet the men excel . Take a look at UME scores, the highest marks are mostly scored by guys, Are the 16yr old girls taking UME also thinking of families?

take a look at the national common entrance exams and you will find your answer.

Girls mature emotionally faster due to their exposure to older guys but maturity is not equal to intelligence.

emotionally or mentally?

Actually most book smart and intelligent people are known to be emotional babies e.g Seun Osewa cheesy

no comment!
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by dayokanu(m): 4:35pm On Jul 20, 2012
ronkebp:

Nah!!!! show me facts and figures....forget those names you are coining up.....i will send a text or even call my younger brother, he is presently in university of Ife....will ask him to get the info's for me...."best students in all the departments".

Simply put, best student in the history of OAU.

Someone even mentioned it on this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/866626/celebrating-great-ife-50/4#10251580
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by tpia5: 4:35pm On Jul 20, 2012
in a nutshell, at teenage level - girls are smarter than boys

i have to disagree with this.

i personally have no experience of such.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 20, 2012
coogar:

Maturity does not necessarily come with intelligence. Are you trying to say the 40 yr old pepper seller is not mature since she is probably too dull to learn algebra?
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by coogar: 4:38pm On Jul 20, 2012
tpia@:
i actually thought it was common knowledge women overall do not have a higher IQ than men.

when a life form breastfeeds, cook, wash, rear children, bleed for 5 days every month and does not die as a result - it will be almost impossible for her to ace the other gender who does not have to worry about these things. let's base this study on the period when the difference between the males and the females is negligible!
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by coogar: 4:38pm On Jul 20, 2012
tpia@:

when a life form breastfeeds, cook, wash, get pregnant, rear children, bleed for 5 days every month and does not die as a result - it will be almost impossible for her to ace the other gender who does not have to worry about these things. let's base this study on the period when the difference between the males and the females is negligible!
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by maclatunji: 4:42pm On Jul 20, 2012
coogar:

except that those hormones you wanna pump them with will make the boys grow breasts, make them menstruate, etc which would have defeated the purpose of your experiment.

You didn't notice where I said "she-men" would be the by-products of the experiments? Professor, can't we look at breaking down the hormones such that we can extract only the intelligence inducing part? It would be worth the trouble you know. Your name would be up there with the greatest scientists- Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Coogar? grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abandon A Pregnant Woman In Lagos And Be Jailed / Checkout These Cute Twins Pictures - Lovely! / Using First Names For Husband & Wife (Father & Mother) in the Family?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.