Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane (34524 Views)

IBB Opens Up On Dele Giwa's Death & 159 Officers On Crashed Plane / LASTMA Officers Arrest Military,NSCDC Officers Driving On BRT Lane In Lagos(pics / Open Letter To President Jonathan By Army Officers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by naptu2: 8:51pm On Jul 18, 2012
The Lagos State Security Council on Wednesday met under the chairmanship of Governor Babatunde Fashola (SAN) with the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Administration, Mr Adams Audu announcing that no effort is being spared to ensure that Lagos State is kept much more secured.

Mr Adams Audu who spoke in an interview with State House Correspondents at the Lagos House, Ikeja added that in view of the passion and commitment of the Governor to the security of the State, everything will be done to ensure that it remains the safest city in not only Nigeria but in West Africa.

The Deputy Commissioner who also spoke on the stand of the Inspector General of Police that Divisional Police Officers would be held responsible for security lapses in their area said all officers must live up to expectation.

Mr Audu said notwithstanding the fact that this is a transition period in Lagos State with the Commissioner of Police and some service commanders leaving, every officer would be personally held responsible for dereliction of duty in his area of responsibility.

“Everybody has to live up to expectation. With so much commitment and resources that is being pumped into security by the State Government, everybody has to live up and justify it. If we fail to do that, it is a betrayal of trust”.

“We want to assure that where they become derelict and fail in their responsibilities they will be held personally responsible and those areas are certainly being taken care of”, Mr Audu explained.

[size=14pt]Mr Audu also said the Council looked at the issue of vehicles being used by security personnel and emphasized that members of the forces consisting of both Military and Police are first citizens before being military personnel and must not go against the law.

He emphasized that everybody must obey the law and as such uniformed men must not drive against traffic or engage in the use of commercial vehicles using their uniform, stressing that anyone caught would be sanctioned.

Prominent among those who were present at the briefing were the State Director of the State Security Service, Mr Achu Olayi, Brigadier General Pat Aken, Navy Commodore Mio Njoku and Air Commodore Tony Omenyi and Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Security, Major Tunde Panox (rtd)
[/size]

http://www.cityflavourmagazine.com/?p=10756
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by naptu2: 9:07pm On Jul 18, 2012
I wish I had the speech delivered by Major General Kenneth Minimah while announcing the dismissal of the soldier who drove on the BRT lane (I watched it on tv). He stressed that soldiers are also citizens who must obey laws. The soldiers are given their powers by the constitution, which also empowers the police to arrest law breakers. The police where carrying out their constitutional duty by arresting the soldier and the soldier was a disgrace to the army. The soldier's action was capable of painting the army as a lawless and indisciplined organisation and that would not be condoned.
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Mutee: 9:16pm On Jul 18, 2012
Acidosis:

we have hoodlums, hoologans like this in Lagos, but Mr Governor is arresting the same people that are fighting the hooligans like you.
Misplaced priority in government house. It is not only in Lagos but everywhere.

If you want to see me, come to army barracks in Maiduguri. Ask for K1. Epa!
And you think you mentioning barracks would scare pple? My friend give ur real address jor make i track you wella. I reside in Ikeja cantonment, CBQ 16 room 21.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by naptu2: 9:16pm On Jul 18, 2012
I have actually seen the GOC's motorcade (motorcycle, Toyota Hilux pick-up, his Landcruiser [with the flag & two stars] and another pick-up) stop at the traffic light on Awolowo Road, waiting for the light to turn green (just like everyone else).

1 Like

Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by murtalaa(m): 9:30pm On Jul 18, 2012
My respect for this man jumped a notch. I think if vote did not go for buhari then fashola can get it. Why would any sensible being think that the military men should have been excused simply because the're military? The road is purpose-build and should only be used for what it was meant for. If the military are to be allowed to use it then a medical doctor can present a case on account of patients waiting for his care, the school teacher can argue that he has students waiting in the class, the lawyer can claim that he is rushing to attend a court case to put a criminal in jail, trader and civil servant can claim that they have the right to use it because it was built with the taxpayers money-their money. So let everyone irrespective of class obey rules.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 18, 2012
antitpiah:

Democracy is your father's idea on how to run your village abi? Abi the word Governor exist in your grandpa's vocab? Abi the English wey you dey write na your mama language? Ode oshi. Stupiddddd black man wan dey form yanga. Go form yanga with your fellow ape in your dark, untarred, highly uncivilized village, not here

Whether you want to admit it or not, everything we do, in one way or the other, is aimed at gaining acceptance and recognition from the more advanced species of our ever expanding kingdom.

You're a nasty worthless bastard and son of a LovePeddler. If you come here propounding your racist slave ideology I will spend all night raining curses on your worthless, ignorant self and your entire family. So you think there was no democracy in Africa before ''your white masters'' came? Name one book on African history you've read in your life? You think we all have your inferiority complex disease and are only seeking to ''gain acceptance'' by ''superior white beings'' by developing our country? What an excuse for a human being and wretched, despicable disgrace to humanity you are. I bet you're the type that flashes your 36 teeth like a big fat dunce whenever you see a white face. Why don't you return to the slave plantantion where you obviously, clearly belong, you worthless, ignorant, cretinous son of a PROSTIT.UTE?
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Ufeolorun(m): 10:01pm On Jul 18, 2012
Long-winded arguments for the sake of it grin cheesy
Nairaland and its band of agba ushe cheesy
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by OPEYEMIAD(m): 10:12pm On Jul 18, 2012
Na God catch am

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by naptu2: 10:20pm On Jul 18, 2012
[size=14pt]Breaking news!!!![/size]

Spokesman of 81 Division, Nigerian Army, says the GOC, Major General Kenneth Minimah, has ordered an investigation into the incident. The officers will be sanctioned if found guilty.

Source: STV 10pm news.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by jason123: 10:22pm On Jul 18, 2012

1 Like

Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by solelymade: 10:56pm On Jul 18, 2012
It is absolutely disheartening with some comment here. I won't submit my argument because i've realised that to get people to compromise on an issue of diverse views is like making a camel pass through the eye of a needle.
kudos to Gov. Fashola
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Korrection(m): 11:58pm On Jul 18, 2012
I promise to bring good information..fellow nigerians..Thanks Nairaland MODS for placing this on the front page..more will come....thanks
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by logica(m): 12:18am On Jul 19, 2012
stagger: Some people here are even defending the soldier. Tells you how many Nigerians think; with their rear ends.
No not many Nigerians; just the dullards we allowed to pack the "Nigerian Army" full. That establishment needs to be flushed. It's worse that the Augean Stables.
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by jmaine: 12:25am On Jul 19, 2012
naptu2: [size=14pt]Breaking news!!!![/size]

Spokesman of 81 Division, Nigerian Army, says the GOC, Major General Kenneth Minimah, has ordered an investigation into the incident. The officers will be sanctioned if found guilty.

Source: STV 10pm news.

Story . . .This is where the news and hullabaloo ends cool . . . .Next page please . .
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by BabaEleko(m): 5:01am On Jul 19, 2012
jmaine:

Story . . .This is where the news and hullabaloo ends cool . . . .Next page please . .

This zombie no know say den don dismiss army officers before over the same BRT issue. smh

1 Like

Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by VoodooDoll(m): 5:29am On Jul 19, 2012
Well done to Fashola for highlighting this abuse of road traffic laws.
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Nobody: 6:27am On Jul 19, 2012
you are a fool o
Acidosis: in own too much self abeg. .e just carry government and Lagos for head like say na him property.

Now that you are angry with my sincere comments throughout this thread.
What will do?
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by naptu2: 6:34am On Jul 19, 2012
[size=14pt]Army to sanction soldiers for taking BRT lane[/size]

by Editor on July 19, 2012 with 0 Comments in Government , National News , Southwest News

The Nigerian Army on Wednesday said it would investigate two soldiers who drove on Bus Rapid Transit lane in Lagos on Tuesday.

The soldiers – Col. K. I. Yusuf and Staff Sergeant A.J. Adeomi – were accosted by Governor Babatunde Fashola, on the BRT lane at Outer Marina, Lagos Island.

The NA in a statement by its Public Relations Officer, 81 Division, Lt.-Col. Kayode Ogunsanya, said the soldiers would be appropriately sanctioned because they were expected to obey the laws of the state.

The statement reads, “It was alleged that the state governor on Tuesday, July 17, 2012 reprimanded two military officers, namely Col. K. I. Yusuf and Staff Sergeant A. A. Adeomi, for driving on the dedicated BRT lane.

“It is true that these personnel made use of the dedicated BRT lane thereby contravening the BRT laws. Lagos State Government forbids non – BRT buses from plying these dedicated lanes which are exclusive rights of way for BRT buses.

“However, the General Officer Commanding 81 Division Nigerian Army, Maj. Gen. Kenneth Minimah, has directed that the incident be investigated and the personnel involved be sanctioned accordingly.

@punch

http://themetronewsng.com/army-to-sanction-soldiers-for-taking-brt-lane/
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by dont8(m): 7:20am On Jul 19, 2012
Maiduguri! Oh, no wonder, the bombs has worsen your state of reasoning.
What a pity, you need to be pulled-out ASAP before you start killing children and justifies it.
Acidosis:

we have hoodlums, hoologans like this in Lagos, but Mr Governor is arresting the same people that are fighting the hooligans like you.
Misplaced priority in government house. It is not only in Lagos but everywhere.

If you want to see me, come to army barracks in Maiduguri. Ask for K1. Epa!
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by jmaine: 7:42am On Jul 19, 2012
Baba_Ediot:

This zombie no know say den don dismiss army officers before over the same BRT issue. smh

Baba_Ediot, were they dismissed for only taking the BRT lanes or for resisting arrest and seriously assaulting the LASTMA officials and policemen who tried to effect the arrest of the erring Military personel . .
Nigerian Army go dismiss a red collar colonel for simply taking the BRT lanes ? grin . . .

You be confirmed ode cool . . . .
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by BabaEleko(m): 8:31am On Jul 19, 2012
jmaine:

Baba_Ediot, were they dismissed for only taking the BRT lanes or for resisting arrest and seriously assaulting the LASTMA officials and policemen who tried to effect the arrest of the erring Military personel . .
Nigerian Army go dismiss a red collar colonel for simply taking the BRT lanes ? grin . . .

You be confirmed ode cool . . . .

Read my post again. I didn't specify what exactly they got dismissed for. I only said "BRT ISSUE".

**I made u look foolish. Right?**
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by jmaine: 9:02am On Jul 19, 2012
Baba_Ediot:

Read my post again. I didn't specify what exactly they got dismissed for. I only said "BRT ISSUE".

**I made u look foolish. Right?**

Straw grasping as usual . . . even though they share a common denominator of breaking traffic laws pertaining to BRT lanes . . .the course of action from the Military hierachy won't be the same, simply because of the the nature and degree of their crimes . . .

Baba_Ediot, you simply do not rush to counter a post with shallow punch lines . .

verdict --------> Nature and degree of crime matters here,Not every offense leads to the dismisal of Armed security officials . . .

The army will simply give their colonel a go and sin no more back pat grin
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by naptu2: 9:44am On Jul 19, 2012
By the way, warning to those who use military stickers.

[size=14pt]Military ban the use of Army and Airforce car stickers in Lagos[/size]

Security authorities in Lagos on Saturday said that the ban on the use of military stickers in cars will henceforth be strictly enforced.

This was disclosed by the Commandant of the Airforce Base, Ikeja, Air Commodore Tony Omenyi who said the ban follows the abuse of Nigeria Airforce stickers.

He said from now on, the Police have been empowered to remove the Airforce car stickers on any car that it is affixed on; adding that all those who have it on their cars should remove them immediately.

“So, I am appealing to Lagosians to avoid confrontation with the Military and remove Airforce stickers from their cars. And this affects Airforce personnel too. Nobody is allowed to have Airforce stickers on their cars”, he added.

Also speaking on the same issue, the Nigerian Army Brigade Commander, Brigadier General Pat Aken gave an update on the ban by the Army on the use of its stickers, saying the ban is not restricted to stickers but anything that creates a false impression of belonging to the force.

“Anything that creates the impression that one belongs to the Army is banned even for serving personnel. Lagosians should note that anybody parading himself with a sticker is a fraud and would be sanctioned accordingly”, he said.

Clamp down on aliens in Lagos

Meanwhile, the Police in Lagos State said it will soon clamp down on illegal aliens in the State in a move to help check the current influx of the aliens into such highbrow areas like Ikoyi and Victoria Island.

The State Police Commissioner, Umar Manko who disclosed this while briefing Government House Correspondents on the outcome of the State Security Council Meeting chaired by the state governor, Babatunde Fashola at Lagos House, Marina said the security agencies are monitoring the influx of the illegal aliens.

Mr Manko added that for those who are not Nigerians the security agencies will take action in accordance with Nigerian laws. He said that the security agencies including the Immigrations are collaborating on this and urged the citizens to continue to remain vigilant and be law abiding, adding that they should also avail themselves of the Emergency toll free numbers of 767 of 112 when in any distress situation and to pass useful information to security agencies.

On how the Police intend to maintain security in the state, despite the banning of checkpoints, the Police Commissioner said what the Inspector General of Police directed was not that there should not be Police presence on the roads but that Police should remove barriers on the road.

He explained that barriers are different from not finding Police on the roads, adding that the barriers which have been removed and remains removed have been replaced by motorized patrols and foot patrols.

On efforts to curb the recklessness of okada riders in the state, Mr Manko said any close observance of the activities of the State Police Command along the Ikeja axis in the last four to five days will show that the Police have been impounding most of the motorcycles that flout the law.

He said the Police Command has discovered of recent that the okada riders have been using them to commit crimes, stressing that this is a situation which the State will not tolerate.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/03/25/military-ban-the-use-of-army-and-airforce-car-stickers-in-lagos/
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by MumaBee: 11:23am On Jul 19, 2012
Fashola dey catch soja, who catch u 4 d moni wey u take buy ship 4 Marina ontop water wey b say na hotel b d ship. Awon weeree
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by dipotech: 2:53pm On Jul 19, 2012
Nobody should be above the law, there should be no sacred cow, what is good for the goose is also good for the gander, they deserve punishment if that is what in operation in Lagos State.
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by naptu2: 3:17pm On Jul 19, 2012
Class assignment. For a better appreciation of the issues involved, google "History of Civil-Military Relations in Nigeria" by Dr Nowa Omoigui smiley
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by BabaEleko(m): 3:53pm On Jul 19, 2012
jmaine:

Straw grasping as usual . . . even though they share a common denominator of breaking traffic laws pertaining to BRT lanes . . .the course of action from the Military hierachy won't be the same, simply because of the the nature and degree of their crimes . . .

Baba_Ediot, you simply do not rush to counter a post with shallow punch lines . .

verdict --------> Nature and degree of crime matters here,Not every offense leads to the dismisal of Armed security officials . . .

The army will simply give their colonel a go and sin no more back pat grin

Who dey follow this one drag how den go sanction soulja. Smh.
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 19, 2012
I saw three military officers and one 'civilian' (or at least a soldier or whatever in mufti) violating the BRT lane restriction today on Ikorodu Road, between Obanikoro and Jibowu. Three in in morning, and one this evening. I guess not much has changed - in spite of, or even because of, Fashola's dramatics. I laugh at anyone who thinks otherwise.
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by kwajahafiz(m): 6:26am On Oct 14, 2012
[quote author=Acidosis]For every persons that insulted me based on my previous comments- y'all are fool.ish.
Is it the work of a Governor to arrest people on the road? Why was this made public in the first place. The man has a thing for the military and I know it. The other day, He insulted Mr President with his commanding tune just because GEJ ordered the military into your streets to save you people from your own breeded hoodlums.

O you shallow minded people, look beyond your nose, i.diotz. Why can't he use his agbada and masquerade clothed civilian fellows in government as examples? Why the military?
[/quote

dude..ur sound so ignant. that means IGNORANT...
damn, I hope some one explains to u what I said.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Timi Frank: Osinbajo Is The Chairman Of Yahoo Yahoo In Nigeria / FLASHBACK: Buhari Hails Tambuwal For Dumping PDP - Premium Times / Udom, Osinbajo, Oyedepo, Ortom, Dogara Storm Dunamis For Dr Paul Enenche

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.