Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,912 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane (34550 Views)

IBB Opens Up On Dele Giwa's Death & 159 Officers On Crashed Plane / LASTMA Officers Arrest Military,NSCDC Officers Driving On BRT Lane In Lagos(pics / Open Letter To President Jonathan By Army Officers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Sagamite(m): 12:00pm On Jul 18, 2012
Donlittle: LIES, there are a lot of clips on youtube in the United states. Policemen chase cars to anywhere in the UNITED STATES and brake law to arrest violators. why are you lying? damn nigeria is a failed country bruh

The guy is a moronic person!

A product of a failed education.

What do you expect from a cretin that argued it was necessary for Abacha to extrajudicially hunt down and kill NADECO members (unarmed democracy activists) to keep his dictatorship intact and for national security reasons?

If I say he has the brain power of a cockroach, it would be a viciously disrespectful utterance to cockroaches.
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by ay0201(m): 12:10pm On Jul 18, 2012
Acidosis: in own too much self abeg. .e just carry government and Lagos for head like say na him property.
where you come from self?
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 18, 2012
The guy is a moronic person!
Not only him, but i have watched comments from him beaf, billionaire, and okija sumthing. There comments make me wonder what is left of nigeria.

A product of a failed education.
its a really sad story, who should we blame it on? we dont even have time to blame anybody. can we just help them and bring them back to life?

What do you expect from a cretin that argued it was necessary for Abacha to extrajudicially hunt down and kill NADECO members (unarmed democracy activist) to keep his dictatorship intact and for national security reasons?
bruh so he wants to justify this dumb argument, but he can see anything justifiable in accepting what fashola did?

If I say he has the brain power of a cockroach, it would be a viciously disrespectful utterance to cockroaches.
even my lil brother would be proud of fashola. this is a product of a failed educational system
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by phantasm(m): 12:15pm On Jul 18, 2012
I have been reading about the arguements about who the law breakers were, the army officers or both(+Governor). In my objective view- Looking @ the situation from a neutral angle, the man who arrested the culprits didnt break any law.... Imagine in a more civilised and developd nation, it is absolutely right for a law maker to do whatever possible, even risking his life to chase and catch a criminal or a law breaker. If traffic has to be altered, then it should be for the sake of maintaining law and order and preventing possible future occurences...
The police didnt have the liver to do it and the man who even has some ammount of authority over even the millitary did it.... He's not to be blamed for doing the right thing.

And how sure are we that the traffic was even caused by him. Imagine yourself in that situation. U were driving and suddenly a popular celeb jumps out of his car to attend to something. As far as that celeb's face is identified, almost every passersby n drivers would want to experience what event is going on... And if the first line drivers stops driving, can the drivers coming from behind fly over the traffic

Not a fan of either party but i prefer being truthful in all matters and not being biased in my judgements.....
-
-
-
-
-
you fit yabb me o, if u no gree but i woldnt have the time to reply you. Have got many other constructive things to do...
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jul 18, 2012
from people comment on this thread, what is left of nigeria? people finding everything to justify that the gov action is bad. i have seen soldiers terrorize lagos a lot. why couldnt he obey the law, i am sure somewhere in the law, it can be interpreted that fashola has the right to stop and arrest this man. angry
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by femozy0311(m): 12:33pm On Jul 18, 2012
Acidosis: in own too much self abeg. .e just carry government and Lagos for head like say na him property.

People like you are not fit in our society. it shows that you are one of those people that violates rules , laws and regulations of Lagos state. I won't be surprised, to find out that you are agbero original area boy.
Try and appreciate good things. EKO ONI BAJE OOO!!!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jul 18, 2012

Idi!oot shuut up, when those who suppose to keep the laws are breaking it , thats what lead to corruption
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 18, 2012
antitpiah:

Are we looking at the same thing? There was no traffic ahead of him. What he did by stopping in the middle of the road was to make an already bad situation worse for many an innocent commuter. There is no excuse for his error in judgment. He could have written the officers plate numbers down and then report them to their superiors. There is no point making a show out of what would turn out to be a non-issue. The BRT lane was empty and the officers are upstanding members of the society, a little privilege here and there for these patriotic men will not kill the governor and his corrupt entourage.

You mumu go last shocked[
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by nduchucks: 12:37pm On Jul 18, 2012
We all know that it is a crime to violate traffic laws. I just hope Fashola's PR operatives are aware of the dangers of embarrassing our military officers for trivial traffic infractions.

A word is enough
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by femozy0311(m): 12:44pm On Jul 18, 2012

People like you are not fit in our society. it shows that you are one of those people that violates rules , laws and regulations of Lagos state. I won't be surprised, to find out that you are agbero original area boy. Can you please tell us your state of origin?
Try and appreciate good things. EKO ONI BAJE OOO!!!
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jul 18, 2012
ndu_chucks: We all know that it is a crime to violate traffic laws. I just hope Fashola's PR operatives are aware of the dangers of embarrassing our military officers for trivial traffic infractions.

A word is enough

Smh, na wa for the way some people reason( or refuse to reason)! So because they are military officers we should be too afraid of them and leave them to do anything they like! Today its BRT lane, next its to strip a lady naked and beat her abi?

Do you know that in a good society the military is meant to show the rest of the nation a good example? Here we have glorified thugs in military uniform. Thank you jare Fashola, at least you had the guts to insist on what is right. If they don't like it they can go to other states where they can drive on 1 way sef....hisssss
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by 100gigabytes: 12:50pm On Jul 18, 2012
Fashola did the right thing in the wrong way, go to maiduguri , kano , kaduna and go and see what the military is doing.

the officer did the wrong thing no doubt but thats not how to correct it.

Fashola is onlyb able to thrive because there is peace in Lagos , he will still count on thses guys if it was a different scenarion in lagos, Up Nigerian Military, and weldone fashola for trying to get things done right.
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Spirit96(m): 12:53pm On Jul 18, 2012
[quote author=winnteam] angry angry angry Shameless people.
SHAMELESS PPLE - YET THEY SACFRIFISED THEIR LIVES 2 KEEP NAIJA AS 1 WHICH GV BRF D OPPORTUNITY 2 B A GOV 2DAY.
SHAMELESS PPLE - YET THEY TRANSIT 2 DEMOCRACY OTHERWISE BRF SHLD HV REMAIN IN HIS BAR 2DAY.
SHAMELESS PPLE - YET THEY DEFENDED D DEMOCRACY N SUSTAINED IT.
WHY SHLD THEY NT B SHAMELESS, WHEN THERE'S CRISIS IN UR AREA, THEY ARE D ONCE 2 CALLED 2 RESTORE PEACE WHILE U REMAIN HIDDING UNDER UR BED. WHO IS NT SOMETIMES GUILTY OF TRAFFIC OFFECE IN DIS COUNTRY? I LV THE MILITARY GUYS.
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by BabaEleko(m): 12:54pm On Jul 18, 2012
@@@Acidosis. . . . . . You should thank you star that I don't know u or where to find you. I would have made u eat ur own sh.it and post the pic on nairaland here. And if u think u are a tough guy as u sound send me the address of where I can find u to baba_elekospeaks@ymail.com. I'm expecting it or ur rant.
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Sagamite(m): 12:57pm On Jul 18, 2012
Spirit96: SHAMELESS PPLE - YET THEY SACFRIFISED THEIR LIVES 2 KEEP NAIJA AS 1 WHICH GV BRF D OPPORTUNITY 2 B A GOV 2DAY.
SHAMELESS PPLE - YET THEY TRANSIT 2 DEMOCRACY OTHERWISE BRF SHLD HV REMAIN IN HIS BAR 2DAY.
SHAMELESS PPLE - YET THEY DEFENDED D DEMOCRACY N SUSTAINED IT.
WHY SHLD THEY NT B SHAMELESS, WHEN THERE'S CRISIS IN UR AREA, THEY ARE D ONCE 2 CALLED 2 RESTORE PEACE WHILE U REMAIN HIDDING UNDER UR BED. WHO IS NT SOMETIMES GUILTY OF TRAFFIC OFFECE IN DIS COUNTRY? I LV THE MILITARY GUYS.

You are a critical person!

1 Like

Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by naptu2: 12:59pm On Jul 18, 2012
I'm still searching for pictures and accounts of the 2008 episode between Fashola, the airforce officer and the foreigner. Below is an account and picture of the 2011 episode.

[size=14pt]Police VS Soldiers on Ikorodu Road over use of BRT lane.[/size]

There was pandemonium at Obanikoro area of Lagos State, South West Nigeria today when soldiers clashed with policemen who were trying to stop the soldiers from using the BRT lane.Men of the Lagos State Taskforce on Environmental Offences (Enforcement Unit) had stormed the BRT lane on the order from the state government to enforce the ban on motorists using the BRT lane.

P.M.NEWS reporter who witnessed the scene observed that over 95 percent of BRT lane violators were soldiers who displayed brazen act of lawlessness and challenged the policemen who stopped them and wanted to tow their vehicles for violating the laws of the state.

Trouble started when a female soldier and a Lance Corporal in separate vehicles drove on the BRT lane and were stopped by the police. The soldiers knew the police were enforcing the ban on use of the BRT lanes when they intentionally took the lane.
The police officers attempted to tow the female soldier’s vehicle but were resisted while the soldier pleaded with the cops.

While that was going on, the female soldier who drove in a car with registration number SD 754 KJA attempted to drive away the car by force but unknown to her, an iron spike was placed in front of the car’s tyre while the vehicle climbed it and one of the tyres got punctured.

As the car was being towed out of the BRT lane, the other soldier, whose car’s registration number KE 507 EKY came out of his car and successfully concealed his identity by removing the name tag on his uniform.

He insulted the police officers and dared anyone to tow his vehicle. Because of his rudeness, the policemen who had earlier allowed almost 10 vehicles being driven by soldiers who violated the use of the BRT lane to go, decided to tow the Lance Corporal’s vehicle.

The Lance Corporal headbutted a police officer who was trying to drive his car away. He seriously manhandled the cop, while the police team leader tried to calm him down and restrained his men from retaliating.

The policemen still insisted on towing the vehicle but the Lance Corporal slapped and brutalised the police officers while the policemen kept their cool.

As they struggled with the Lance Corporal, some area boys who were in support of the soldier suddenly went wild, but the police succeeded in arresting some of them who were hauled into the Black Maria. In a sudden twist, the Lance Corporal suddenly feigned being unconscious and collapsed without being touched. He was taken to the road side.
This enraged other soldiers who arrived the scene and clashed with the cops.
A police officer shot tear gas into the air and there was pandemonium in the area as people ran for safety. The Obanikoro Bus stop was deserted.
Rumour immediately started spreading that the police had killed a soldier and that soldiers were on a revenge mission.

The soldiers at the scene of the incident vandalised one of the police towing vans and battered the driver of one of the police vehicles but the police rescued him from the scene and took him to a hospital.

Several policemen at the scene fled sensing danger while only a few remained.

A Divisional Police Officer, DPO, who came to maintain peace ran for his life when he saw the soldiers who had gone to reinforce. People ran while banks in the area and some companies shut their gates as they sensed danger.

As the situation was being brought under control, the Lance Corporal, who pretended to have fainted returned to pick his car.
As he was doing that, a large number of armed soldiers were spotted approaching the scene. The remaining policemen at the scene had to beat a retreat to avert more trouble while they abandoned one of their towing vans on the BRT lane.

As the soldiers approached, passers-by had to run to safety to avoid stray bullet hitting them, though, there was no exchange of gun shots.

Earlier, some soldiers had violated the ban on use of the BRT lane and were able to get out of trouble by force. One of such offenders was Tope Awopetu, a staff sergeant and a brigadier, whose name could not be ascertained by our correspondent.

A police car driven by a sergeant was towed by the taskforce. A customs vehicle was also impounded for using the BRT lane while a Superintendent of Police, who claimed to be a lawyer, had his car towed for using the BRT lane.
Also, vehicle belonging to the Lagos Central Business District, CBD, Enforcement unit with registration number LA 23 CBD was towed for using the BRT lane, among others.

The Lagos State Government had decided to enforce the ban on use of BRT lane because of the lawlessness of motorists who take the BRT lane whenever there is mild traffic gridlock on Ikorodu road.

It was gathered that Governor Babatunde Fashola had gotten wind of the clash between the soldiers and the policemen  and had contacted the relevant military authorities to immediately call their men to order. This is to avert a bloody clash like the one in Badagry last month during which a soldier was killed and his colleagues retaliated by killing the Badagry DPO, DCO and other cops.

https://www.nairaland.com/697662/police-vs-soldiers-ikorodu-road#8577209

The governor and the commissioner of police phoned the GOC who ordered the Brigade Commander, 9th Brigade to arrest the soldier and bring the situation under control.

[size=14pt]Soldier dismissed for driving on BRT lane[/size]

Following last Thursday’s incident in which policemen and soldiers were involved in a brawl after a lance corporal contravened a traffic law by passing the lane designated for Bus Rapid Transit buses at Obanikoro end of Ikorodu Road , the Nigerian Army on Monday dismissed the errant soldier, Sunday Ayodeji.

PUNCH METRO had reported on June 24, 2011 that Ayodeji had defied traffic law and also assaulted security operatives who had been assigned by the Lagos State government to monitor compliance of traffic rules.

Ayodeji allegedly called his colleagues on the phone and the armed soldiers chased away the policemen and LASTMA officials directing traffic in the area, resulting in confusion.

However, the General Officer Commanding 81 Division, Maj.–Gen. Kenneth Minimah, said Ayodeji with recruitment No. 99NA /48/2627 of the 940 Regiment Workshops, had been dismissed for violation of civil law, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

“The dismissal of this soldier will serve as a warning to others. Military personnel must be warned that their insubordination of civil law will attract punitive measures like dismissal,” he said.

https://www.nairaland.com/700731/soldier-dismissed-driving-brt-lane

Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Annaoche: 1:05pm On Jul 18, 2012
Acidioce or wateva yu call ur name,yu ar jus A̶̲̥̅ clueless guy,i pity yu,did Fashola drag dat guy out?common sense should hav told yu dat even Tђέ officer admitted dat he was wrong for him to hav come out nd apologise
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Raxxye(m): 1:07pm On Jul 18, 2012

This guy is such a hopeless fool!!
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Mutee: 1:14pm On Jul 18, 2012
people with your kind of attitude will never make a Local Govt. move forward talk less of a state and/or country at large.
If the governor can stay in traffic and not use BRT lanes even with his busy schedules, why can't anyone do same.

See you talking about people seeing beyond their nose when you can't even see beyond your eyelashes. People like you can never be leaders and if by mistake you become one, then your followers are doomed.

Although the Nigerian Armed Forces have been compromised, Nigerian Army is seen as an institution that have discipline as one of their core values. If the governor did the wrong thing in arresting the colonel then why is the officer muttering "i am very very sorry"?

Acidosis i expected better comments from you and instead you're abusing people. You fall my hand. No no no, am not taking it personal.
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by mikeapollo: 1:28pm On Jul 18, 2012
The Governor acted just for the sake of formalty because it would have been odd for him to just stand there and do nothing while the BRT lane is being used by other vehicles. But that is how far the Governor can go. He cannot do anything more than that.

There is need for LASG to be educated about the limits of who and who they can arrest! There are some professions that deal with emergency and such professions e.g Medical doctors, Nurses, Military etc have the right and privilege to use the BRT lane when situtation demands.

If I were to be a medical doctor and I have an emergency to attend to, or my patient is in a critical condition, I will use the BRT lane even if the Governor is personally conducting traffic on the road. That is the standard everywhere in the world. All this idea of causing huge hold-up and delays on the express while the BRT lane is free and redundant should be stopped. Of what use if people are held up in traffic for 3 hours and the BRT lane is empty and there is also no BRT bus in sight.
The most sensible thing to do is for the LASTMA/Police officer to conduct the traffic in a way to direct/allow some vehicles to use the BRT lane in order to ease traffic on the main road, then close off the BRT Lane when traffic normalises.
All this senseless gra-gra attitude of the LASG must stop!
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by tpia5: 1:28pm On Jul 18, 2012
If you're not supposed to drive on brt lanes then dont drive there.

How hard is that to understand, sheesh.

Try driving on restricted lanes overseas and see how fast the police will catch you.

Lord have mercy, what is wrong with nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by ofio2011(m): 1:31pm On Jul 18, 2012
THIS GUY THAT IS CRITICIZING FASHOLA, PLEASE WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE HAD THE GOVERNOR DO? IT IS A SHAME WE WANT A BETTER NATION YET WE DO NOT WANT TO DO THE RIGHT THINGS TO GET THINGS DONE BETTER AND APPROPRAITELY. HONESTLY, THIS GUY MUST BE A DISGRUNTLED MILITARY GUY WHO HAS NO RESPECT FOR LAW NOT TO TALK OF DEMOCRACY. I AM INDEED SURE HE IS A MILITARY DROP OUT.

FASHOLA THUMBS UP. HE WAS EVEN IN THE TRAFFIC THE ARMY PERSONNEL WAS TRYING TO BEAT. IS HE MORE BUSY THAN THE GOVERNOR?
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Idokojimmy: 1:36pm On Jul 18, 2012
That gies to show that no one ois above the law. The rule of law is sacrosanct in all democratic system. Others should emulate this Gov.
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Skywalker5(m): 1:43pm On Jul 18, 2012
Idokojimmy: That gies to show that no one ois above the law. The rule of law is sacrosanct in all democratic system. Others should emulate this Gov.

Nigeria has always been a lawless country so when a Governor is trying to do the right thing. Some a..a..s..h...o..l..e..s would complain. Some people are not used to enforcing the law in Nigeria so you cant blame them.They are used to being oppressed by others so in their eyes, Fashola did the wrong thing or it is beef with soldiers. A whole Governor did not use BRT lane. Military i-d--iot did and was stopped and some dumb as..ses are complaining
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by deb(m): 1:44pm On Jul 18, 2012

My plan initially was to read this threada nd leave but realizing that a comment like yours existed on the thread made me change my mind. I don't usually attack personality here but I think you are a she-goat and a disgrace to your family and generation. You have been warned, animals like you are not welcomed in Lagos. If per chance I stumble on you on the street of Lagos, I will send you to the zoo where you belong.

How could anybody criticize anybody for upholding the law? This is beyond shamelessness you need to visit yaba

1 Like

Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by RuuDie(m): 1:44pm On Jul 18, 2012
Kini big deal. . . until he can do same to the likes of B.Asiwaju.T, all na wash!

grin
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Raxxye(m): 1:46pm On Jul 18, 2012
Acidosis:
A governor publicly arrested military men just because they drove on a wrong route. How about the civilians looting your money? ? How about that I ask you

I hope it's not too late to ask if you typed this with your right mind or you are high on something? You truly sound demented, and I cannot but pity ur state.
You call violating the law of the state "just?". So what if the man is in the military? The fact that others like you have been doing it and getting away with it doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished when caught. As for you and the thieving civillians(that you mentioned), your own day of judgement is fast approaching!
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Raxxye(m): 1:53pm On Jul 18, 2012
ndu_chucks: We all know that it is a crime to violate traffic laws. I just hope Fashola's PR operatives are aware of the dangers of embarrassing our military officers for trivial traffic infractions.

A word is enough

Another comment from the zoo!
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by dont8(m): 1:59pm On Jul 18, 2012
You're a dissapointment to your parents and humanity, if I were you, I wont post with this username again, never.
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by tpia5: 2:09pm On Jul 18, 2012

A word is enough

Do the soldiers not have superiors and what makes you think the superiors themselves are in support of their juniors violating the traffic laws?
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by Sagamite(m): 2:09pm On Jul 18, 2012
naptu2:
https://www.nairaland.com/697662/police-vs-soldiers-ikorodu-road#8577209

https://www.nairaland.com/700731/soldier-dismissed-driving-brt-lane

When a soldier breaks the law, the police try to arrest him and it results in a public shootout that kills innocent bystanders, it would be the same fucktards that are criticising Fashola that would be thee first to say "Nigeria is finished", "Nigeria is a shythole", "Nigeria is so lawless", "Nigeria is fcked".

No, "Your brain is fcked"!
Re: Fashola Arrests Army Officers On BRT Lane by dont8(m): 2:12pm On Jul 18, 2012
100gigabytes: Fashola did the right thing in the wrong way, go to maiduguri , kano , kaduna and go and see what the military is doing.

the officer did the wrong thing no doubt but thats not how to correct it.

Fashola is onlyb able to thrive because there is peace in Lagos , he will still count on thses guys if it was a different scenarion in lagos, Up Nigerian Military, and weldone fashola for trying to get things done right.
What's your point exactly? Why are you contradicting yourself, in one sentence he was not right to arrest an officer, in another, he's right.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Governor Fayose Carrying A Woman Who Collapsed (pics & Video) / 2023: Tinubu Is My Strong Ally - President Buhari / ‘Be Careful’ — Adamu Warns Machina Over Yobe North Senatorial Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.