Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,102 members, 7,828,851 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (152) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (308988 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by tzetzefly(m): 7:18am On Dec 16, 2012
For many aspirants who want to realize their
dream of studying in the US, Visa interviews are
not eagerly awaited. Many dread the questions
and underperform in the interview due to
anxiety and performance pressure. Here are tips that can safely
sail you through the ordeal of Visa interviews.
Just for the record, if you can straight-talk while
displaying a keen desire of studying in the US,
consider half the battle won. Never say what’s
already on the university’s website. For example, while praising Carnegie
Mellon University, you should not say that
industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie
was the founder of the varsity… Talk about your academic goal, and how the
University fits into that goal by elaborating on
the facilities, infrastructure
and exposure that it would provide you Don’t just thrust documents on officers and think
that if it is in the document, they’ll know it. They
do go through your documents, but still they
need to talk to you because they are more
interested in you and not the documents. You should not talk too much. You normally get
2-4 minutes to talk about yourself. Try
highlighting your strengths during this time.
Always keep in mind that most of the students
take financial help of some kind. So, don’t hide
the fact that you would need to take study loan to go to the States. Apply at least 3 months before your reporting
date. In case parents also want to assist
students, they must apply much before the
scheduled departure. Most of the visa
applications are rejected on the ground of the
applicant’s apparent intentions to settle there. For example, if you are already a
have a commerce degree and wish to go there to
study BBA, then it’s difficult to justify the reason.
Your reason should not raise eyebrows and
should seem just right, so ask yourself the right
reasons for you to study in the US. Be honest and you’ll see the difference. If you plan to work part time in America during
your studies, you should not lay too much
emphasis on it at the time of interview. All such
queries must be sent to the campus
administrators and not the visa officers. If you
dropped a year after school, then you will need to explain what you did in the gap year. Having
said that, every application is decided on a case-
to-case basis. No thumb rules can be applied
here. Most of the universities admit students
during fall (August to December). But around
20-25 per cent of the admissions take place during spring (January to May) intake too in
some universities. If you have got a call from a premier university
such as the University of Pennsylvania, then you
don’t need to carry too many documents to
make your case stronger. The university’s call
speaks for itself. Having said that, it doesn’t harm to carry the
bank statement along, but don’t compel the visa
officer to read it. If you are going to research in a university, you
must substantiate your case by showing your
research work.....

www.shiksha.com/tips-to-ace-us-visa-interview-article-5303-1
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by fittty(m): 7:32am On Dec 16, 2012
airroseice: Hey Guys,

I'm back again ... Like iForgot my Blackberry charger ... Jokes aside, my VISA was denied cry
I'll try to narrate my ordeal if I'm able to recollect details from ill-fated day.
It was a sunny Thursday morning in Abuja, woke up early and felt really energized (Me Mah had prayed for me and I did my push-ups, Sit-ups and what-not)
So I arrived the embassy a tad late... say 15 minutes late and I met this crowd outside, I took a seat and followed the line movement.
Fast forward to my experience with the V.O ... before I proceed I must say that I envy y'all that are able to remember the conversation with the V.O. because it's a challenge for me ... probably because I didn't get the Visa grin
Anyway, I'll never forget her cold-blue-pretty eyes in a Hurry... the V.O @ Windows 8 in the Abuja Consulate.
What I remember:

V.O: Good afternoon, Please pass your documents.
Me: Good afternoon - how are you? - Passed my documents.
V.O: I'm fine - typing stuffs into her computer.
V.O: What did you study for Undergraduate?
Me: Regional Planning and Geography.
V.O: How did you hear about this school?
Me: A Friend graduated from the school and recommended it.
V.O: Why Information Systems?
Me: Information Technology has always been my area of interested and my passion for it is concentrated.
V.O: What's your GRE Score?
Me: I didn't take the test because V.I.U. said I'll take a test upon my arrival.
V.O: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: V.I.U and University of Idaho (iLied here because I only applied to VIU)
V.O: Did you hear back from the other school?
Me: No I did not. (I think I messed up here)
V.O: Why did you finally decide to study information systems at V.I.U
Me: *Gave her the info-system speech*
V.O: Why did you decided to study at V.I.U over the other school?
Me: I did my research and checked out their campus and facilities, the academic and social environment, value for money and the tech advancement in the USA.
V.O: What do you do for work?
Me: I'm an investment adviser at a real estate firm.
V.O: What are you going to do after your study?
Me: I'm going to return and work for my current employer for at least 3 years but my long range goal is to set up my own I.T. firm to provide solution that bridges businesses and computer science.

I'll save you from this pathetic convo, she said she couldn't issue me the VISA at this time. I asked what the problem was but she didn't give me any specific reason. I asked how soon I could re-apply and she said to "Wait a while". I was really cordial and had all my documents ready. So tell me what you think. Also the Chat with the V.O. didn't exactly happened in that sequence.

I have a couple of questions though.

1. Can you guys please recommend an inexpensive school with good reputation in the USA that I can apply to for Masters in I.T related course?
2. Is it possible for any school to request tuition (maybe part payment) upfront and consequently send my name to the embassy for easy interview?
3. If yes to Q2, Can you please list any?

I'm going to get my Masters in I.T. and so help me God it will be in the USA; the funds is available and I have a lot of reasons to come back to Nigeria (Trust Me). I am a fighter and I don't give up easily. I like to think that I made a mistake and it can be fixed. It's funny how I handled the rejection self. Hehehe.

Please let me know your thoughts on my case before I start with my research.

With respect,
Eros.

Sorry for the denial. * You shouldn't have said your friend recommended the school, *You also didn't give concrete reasons for studying Information Systems, *You should have taken at least one test even if the school didn't request for it *You being an investment adviser at a real estate firm doesn't have much relation to IT, *Your reasons for coming back wasn't strong enough as you were still gonna take on the same job for 3years which is kinda irrelevant to your intended course

Just give it another try and yes there are tons of schools that don't require tuition deposit before admission.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by redscarlet: 11:05am On Dec 16, 2012
@ous pls d intended place 4 u 2 stay in ur ds-160 can u put ur sch adress even if ur skul dosnt av. A dorm?nd is it normal if ur aunt wit a diffrent surname is ur sponsor nd ur mum is paying 4 ur flightticket .pls am waiting
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by airroseice(m): 1:37pm On Dec 16, 2012
fittty:

Sorry for the denial. * You shouldn't have said your friend recommended the school, *You also didn't give concrete reasons for studying Information Systems, *You should have taken at least one test even if the school didn't request for it *You being an investment adviser at a real estate firm doesn't have much relation to IT, *Your reasons for coming back wasn't strong enough as you were still gonna take on the same job for 3years which is kinda irrelevant to your intended course

Just give it another try and yes there are tons of schools that don't require tuition deposit before admission.
Yeah, I understand you buddy. Thank you for the tip and I'll keep it in mind next time.

Yvete:

awww sorry. Forget about your interview for now and focus on Question 1. Write GRE, apply to a reputable school, prepare and the visa is yours.
Yeah thanks, that's the plan.

dr.slip:

Yea i remember that woman in booth 8 with blue eyes.
Bruva your responses are too generalized. Make it more specific and these are my simple rules for getting the visa.
1. Please take GRE and TOEFL. TOEFL is not so important but if you have the money do it.
2 Apply to programs that relates to your undergraduate program or @ least it should relate to your current work.
Search aggressively for schools and apply to @ least 3 using your GPA, GRE and TOEFL to gauge your chances of admission.
Prepare hard for the interview. When i mean prepare hard i mean read all the questions because in all honesty Nairaland is expo. The questions the VO will ask will not change. Its the same question evryday. Read about your course, know it inside out, know the faculty members just read evrytin readable so if the VO tries to deviate you are flexible enough to answer the questions.
Final and most importantly. .Pray harder than you have prepared for the interview. I can say this with so much confidence. It worked for 3 pple on this thread. Ronald2g1 gave me the code..i used it worked like magic. Then my broda ronakoks used it and it worked.
In summary: Prepare hard and pray harder that's the key to F-1
I'll take GRE and TOEFL right away, no doubt about that. If I'll apply for a program related to my undergraduate program, it will be GIS (Geography Information System) otherwise Info Tech remains my area of passion. I wont be at the real estate firm where I work forever you know?
I'll work more on studying for the interview and how to make my answers less generalized.
I agree with you 100% that Nairaland goes a long way to help.
Do you know where I can register for the GRE and TOEFL in Abuja and the cost?

dmoney104: @@airroseice, sori 4 nt getting your visa , dnt gve up keep try ing man, pls send me ur number I will be going 4 my interview soon @ lagos d same school(viu) I need som little help 4rm u....

@All: Can someone recommend a place where I can write GRE and TOEFL test in Abuja please? I could use all the help I can get actually. Thank you all so much.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by phateemah73(f): 3:53pm On Dec 16, 2012
@yvette... The diploma is from university of ibadan. Is Showing only the result ok for a proof? Cos i av only the result
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 3:57pm On Dec 16, 2012
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 4:11pm On Dec 16, 2012
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by yetflakkie(f): 4:28pm On Dec 16, 2012
Hello house,I was also at d abuja embassy last mnth bt my visa was denied*sad face*,I applied to VIU for MBA bt d skul doesn't require gmat bt I did gmat(though didn't pass) only for embassy purpose cuz I ws told they normally deny most students cuz of it,d VO dat interviewed me said she doesn't believe my gmat result cuz I did it after d skul sent my i-20 and dat she expected d skul to have verified d result before sending my i-20,I explained to her dat d skul doesn't require a gmat bt all explanations fell on her deaf ears. Wat do u suggest I do pls? Am thinking of registering for anoda gmat exam and apply to other skuls and not VIU again,maybe skuls dat wud require gmat. Pls suggest other options for me cuz am totally fed up.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 4:35pm On Dec 16, 2012
Ooops! was off a day on NL.

@VIU guys,

I think it's time I switch to that VIU. It seems to be the most popular outside US and with no criteria for admission, just online application.

@Yvete,

Well done for holding the thread.

@ronankoks,

Na agreement you dey involved, we don't even hear anything from you anymore.... Such is life nau, you ain't the first and won't be the last.

@airroseice,

Sorry about that and I can see you are strong even after your denial, you didn't let it weigh you down. Get all that is necessary for admission into non-VIU schools. I pray you be fine next time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 4:37pm On Dec 16, 2012
yetflakkie: Hello house,I was also at d abuja embassy last mnth bt my visa was denied*sad face*,I applied to VIU for MBA bt d skul doesn't require gmat bt I did gmat(though didn't pass) only for embassy purpose cuz I ws told they normally deny most students cuz of it, Wat do u suggest I do pls? Am thinking of registering for anoda gmat exam and apply to other skuls and not VIU again ,maybe skuls dat wud require gmat. Pls suggest other options for me cuz am totally fed up.

Virginia International University again?? Hehe!! looooool
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by phateemah73(f): 5:15pm On Dec 16, 2012
@yvette.. Tanx much. Pls try to explain that second Q sample, i don't understand it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by MsNas(f): 5:49pm On Dec 16, 2012
Yvete:

Yvete, hey! Lool. I swear am not a stalker, but you've not been replying my emails and seeing that I could maybe accost you on here. Please do reply. smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 6:04pm On Dec 16, 2012
Ms Nas:
Yvete, hey! Lool. I swear am not a stalker, but you've not been replying my emails and seeing that I could maybe accost you on here. Please do reply. smiley

One of your mails answered. Yvete should be in the Church now or having a time out with friend wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Snazzygirl: 6:59pm On Dec 16, 2012
@Imperiouxx, still expecting ur reply grin.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by drslip: 8:23pm On Dec 16, 2012
airroseice:
Yeah, I understand you buddy. Thank you for the tip and I'll keep it in mind next time.

Yeah thanks, that's the plan.

I'll take GRE and TOEFL right away, no doubt about that. If I'll apply for a program related to my undergraduate program, it will be GIS (Geography Information System) otherwise Info Tech remains my area of passion. I wont be at the real estate firm where I work forever you know?
I'll work more on studying for the interview and how to make my answers less generalized.
I agree with you 100% that Nairaland goes a long way to help.

You can register for GRE and TOEFL at firstlogic in Abuja or Lagos. Also if you have a friend or relative in the US, they can do it for you via phone since ETS doesnt allow online registration from Nigerians. Jus take your time study hard apply and prepare for the interview and you will get the visa.
Do you know where I can register for the GRE and TOEFL in Abuja and the cost?

@All: Can someone recommend a place where I can write GRE and TOEFL test in Abuja please? I could use all the help I can get actually. Thank you all so much.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 8:47pm On Dec 16, 2012
Snazzygirl: @Imperiouxx, still expecting ur reply grin.

Ok, snazzie.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by airroseice(m): 9:13pm On Dec 16, 2012
Yvete:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 1:21am On Dec 17, 2012
imperiouxx:

You are so funny o! Within last 6 months is too far, we're talking of last 2 days. I requested within 2 days and it was granted and visa approved all within 13 days. Well, my pathway was designed like that by God. wink

Bro.....to request for emergency date I will have to attach my I-20 and sevis receipt along with my request right? I have not done this b4.....kindly explain. Thanks becos I'm confused.....look at the email I got from visa help desk concerning my enquiry

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for contacting the US Visa Information Service.

As an applicant applying for student visa, if you have been refused a visa in the last 6 months, you are not eligible to request for an emergency appointment.

For questions or further assistance please visit our website at www.ustraveldocs.com or call to speak with a call center representative on 09-4601748

Best Regards,
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 1:29am On Dec 17, 2012
I am just filled with joy here.....hearing these good news from nairalanders......I go follow share mine soonest.....lemmi call it #visaLoading.... grin......Y'all are doing a great job here.....I really appreciate it....I read every single post every night and digest 'em b4 sleeping but I don't post often (sorry)....hoping this 2nd time will be a successful one. Good night peeps! God bless y'all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Anthonymighty(m): 1:51am On Dec 17, 2012
Yvete:

Hope you find favor this time. May God bestow upon thee success.

I will o...i say a BIG AMEN to that....Thanks sweetheart......God bless u smiley keep up the good work and enjoy your re-union/Xmas in Texas.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by obusco4lyfe(m): 6:41am On Dec 17, 2012
@house pls explain ds.....lets say i wnt to apply to a college bt i didn't apply bcs v.o rarely grant visa to applicant to such colleges so instead i applied to a university bt dnt hv d slightest intentn of going to dt uni, just for d visa sake i chose it. Nw my question z.....when i arrive in d U.S wit d name of dt Uni clearly stated on my I-20. Hw can i seek a transfer back to d initial college i wntd witout hvin to attend classes in d Uni?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 6:56am On Dec 17, 2012
na so so VIU i just dey hear since oooo...what's with that school? grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 8:34am On Dec 17, 2012
walex57: na so so VIU i just dey hear since oooo...what's with that school? grin grin grin grin

Na just to apply online and pay application fee, you don become their student be that.... Cheap admission making US embassy rich.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 9:11am On Dec 17, 2012
walex57: na so so VIU i just dey hear since oooo...what's with that school? grin grin grin grin
imperiouxx: Na just to apply online and pay application fee, you don become their student be that.... Cheap admission making US embassy rich.

Virginia International University has vexed this semester loool. They're seriously on the hunt for money from lazy Nigerian Students.

airroseice:
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Haha! So you're laughing at VIU too? You almost became an Alumnus of that interesting school. cheesy I like your attitude towards the visa situation. *Nice one* I think you deserve better than half-baked institutions with poor Alumni network. Forget about that joke of an interview and nail the GRE to increase your chances of better Grad Schools with funding. Its OK to change careers at any level so if IT is your passion, follow it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 9:21am On Dec 17, 2012
Ms Nas:
imperiouxx: One of your mails answered. Yvete should be in the Church now or having a time out with friend wink

cheesy grin LMAO! I seriously had a hearty laugh with this one. Sorry dear, will reply right now. Hahahahaaha. Stalkers beware! No frivolous stuff on a Sunday morning.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by dmoney104(m): 9:59am On Dec 17, 2012
VIU....OH HELP ME GOD.....HMMMM
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by fittty(m): 10:15am On Dec 17, 2012
imperiouxx:

Na just to apply online and pay application fee, you don become their student be that.... Cheap admission making US embassy rich.

Lol.... if na u get the school nko, shey u no go want students ni cheesy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by effyfortune: 10:31am On Dec 17, 2012
Any available date dis dec pls
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by dtabimbola(m): 10:53am On Dec 17, 2012
pls house help me critisise ds answer..

Prog: Master of transformative leadership.
For now...Nursing Sci {BNSc} m workin wt Health Insurance Company...

VO: why d course...
Me: Apart from better position and renumeration in my current job when I finish d program, I also, have plan of bkmin boss of my future... Holistic nursing career{ as in Setting up NGO}... And having worked in both clinicals and non clinical setting, I discovered there is need to bring about well refined health policy and better leadership style to nursing professn for effective healthcare delivery to the country, esply those at d grass roots.

Pls help me out here, my interview is ds Thursday oo.
Thks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by dmoney104(m): 10:53am On Dec 17, 2012
@effy, Lagos or Abuja
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by babsharon(m): 11:22am On Dec 17, 2012
Good day peepz.........anybody with GMAT Material. please send to sheephybaba@rocketmail.com .
GMAT suit for my program cos am going for MBA.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Need Help With Direction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.