Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,086 members, 7,842,119 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (189) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (309246 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by geodarmy: 6:34pm On Jan 05, 2013
GboyegaD:

I feel the challenges are that most Nigerians are unstable in their choices, don't know what they want and are more concerned about the amount they would make more than their career goals else, they wouldn't be needing people to advise what they should study. One thing I know is that you live by the consequences of whatever actions you take therefore, let your heart lead you. Like the yorubas would say, "akoni ni ijo, kin fun ni ni ese ijo" which implies he who teaches you dance never lends you his legs to dance. Bottom line is do what your heart desires and not what people tell you so that at times of challenges, your mind would be able to withstand and overcome knowing it is what you really want to do. Remember whatever your mind conceives, you can achieve.

If you are not a United States Citizen or Permanent resident and talking about heart desires, ain't you deceiving yourself? We all came to the USA to live the America dream and to stay in the USA legally, what happens if after your education you can't land a job with a degree that is not "sellable". I personally don't see anything wrong if you study the environment you find yourself in to determine what is in vogue or selling that can put food on your table or a roof on your head - A wise man would do that.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 6:35pm On Jan 05, 2013
geodarmy: I have been following this thread for long and I must commend you guys for a job well done. For those who care to listen, if you are a foreign student and you are not into IT or Oil and Gas, your chance(s) of making good money or getting a H-1B/Green Card after studies is so slim, unless you have a PhD. Even at that, you can and will never earn up to what the oil and IT guys with just a masters earn.
I have many friends who studied Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Biochemistry in my school (UT Austin) but couldn't get a job or a company to sponsor after their studies. They were left with no other choice than to start their PhD in order not to fall out of status.
For those considering schooling here: Yes, STEM is the way, but which of the STEM majors? Please study anything related to Health, Oil and Gas and I.T.

Now to the controversial part of your comment, grin grin You share most of my exact sentiments which is that If you want to remain the in the US, certain degrees may not be worth it. I've seen lawyers go back to Nursing school.. heck yea! I left liberal arts to technology. Admittedly, I was warned and I did not listen. My childhood goal was the United Nations. Upon graduation, I realized that its not that easy to get a UN job, plus Nigerians are not allowed to sit for the exams. It got me depressed. I've applied for jobs in Investment banking, healthcare...name it.

On the O&G issue, its all about marketability as Kpolli stated. I majored in BA. Intl Relations-Econ. I was able to get a job in O&G and I'm not a Geologist. Likewise Human Resource personnel are needed in almost every industry. I work in Global Mobility and most of us are either Accountants, HR ...etc. Of course, I don't earn as much as geologists, but certifications is it! Then pushed myself further for a masters in SCLT because I realized that Supp. Chain is hot right now. More experience + certs = higher pay.

A guy at my Church barely 2 years from NIG majored in MS. Chem Eng and he works with Jacobs Engineering, still on OPT, but with good pay (from what he told me). Courses like Biochem, Chem, Physics are okay IMO. I believe that the demand is still good and are admissible to most science jobs.

DO WHAT YOU LOVE AND STUDY THE MARKET. SELL YOURSELF AS A MARKETER WOULD DO HIS PRODUCT!

geodarmy: a guy who I met through this forum in 2010 who is also a geologist and working in an oil company now in California.

I know who that is. He's always lurking online and hardly comments grin grin I see you!! grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 6:36pm On Jan 05, 2013
Seunbunmi: Imperiouxx d guru, look at d way u jst analysied geodarmy comment...u too much oooo...I go like do my transfer go new mexico o lol...u too much baba...more grace to

Really geodarmy spoke well, only that there are some parts I don't agree with but I'm in accordance with him now. Since my day 1 as a biochemist in Nigeria......No one or nothing can change my interest for the course. It's my life if not it won't brought me here. "Science" people think is in the head but it's in the heart....if you hate your experiments, you will sure get negative results. It happens to me here all the time. Whenever I had issue with my supervisor, I get negative results for experiments I do everyday. Love for your career is like love for your life...that is if you ever love your career.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 6:36pm On Jan 05, 2013
GboyegaD: Madam, stay back in your Texas jeje and you can always visit NM whenever you want to except you wanna be his roommate wink

He's a guy!! Looool. He was originally going to Kentucky so you've adopted him in Dallas Gboyega. Hmnn
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 6:39pm On Jan 05, 2013
Na waa ooo...me i don dey tire for this thread...why must everything be about tension, if you can help someone's inquiry then do that without saying anything offensive, if you cannot then just keep mute!....this applies to those in Nigeria seeking their visas as well as those here in the US who have their visas....if someone is confused about making a decision, if you can give the person an advice without insults, that's good, but if you know you must add insults, then just skip the question and let someone else answer it, some of us were in their shoes while we were seeking visas, only if you could go back to see the kinda questions you were asking those that were here when you weren't and was still an applicant, you wouldn't answer the way you are presently....and for those still back home,don't also come and ask questions or say statements that may brew tension...this thread is for "visa inquiries" not "school application inquiries"...so it is expected that you only ask visa or standardized tests related questions and not what school or course to pick, and now i think that's what's finally taking over this thread which defeats the original purpose of this thread...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by geodarmy: 6:40pm On Jan 05, 2013
Yvete:

I know who that is. He's always lurking online and hardly comments grin grin I see you!! grin

How do you know him? Yvette, you are everywhere I swear.....lol

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Seunbunmi(m): 6:44pm On Jan 05, 2013
GboyegaD:

Madam, stay back in your Texas jeje and you can always visit NM whenever you want to except you wanna be his roommate wink

Lolzz, GboyegaD am stil in 9ja I dnt want to rush to a cc, am followin my highly esteem yvete advice...takin my time to make my final decision for summer or fall session
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 6:45pm On Jan 05, 2013
Seunbunmi: Lolzz, GboyegaD am stil in 9ja I dnt want to rush to a cc, am followin my highly esteem yvete advice...takin my time to make my final decision for summer or fall session

Praise God! Halleluyah!! Whats going to happen to your visa though??

geodarmy: How do you know him? Yvette, you are everywhere I swear.....lol

Loool yeah! The 'mean' aunty in the South! Ask him?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 6:48pm On Jan 05, 2013
Yvete:

Praise God! Halleluyah!! Whats going to happen to your visa though??

Loool yeah! The 'mean' aunty in the South! Ask him?

His visa is still valid. Resumption on I-20 is what changed.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 6:51pm On Jan 05, 2013
geodarmy:

If you are not a United States Citizen or Permanent resident and talking about heart desires, ain't you deceiving yourself? We all came to the USA to live the America dream and to stay in the USA legally, what happens if after your education you can't land a job with a degree that is not "sellable". I personally don't see anything wrong if you study the environment you find yourself in to determine what is in vogue or selling that can put food on your table or a roof on your head - A wise man would do that.

It depends on you and what you really want. There is no degree that isn't sellable and if you don't land a job in the US does it mean you can't land a job elsewhere? Besides, I am too relevant to be neglected and so, firms would have to desire me when the time comes. I don't know about others though and I am not telling people not to change their minds if they want to. All I have done is just to express my opinion just as you did and people have their free will to do what they think is best for them because they are responsible for the consequences of their decisions.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 6:54pm On Jan 05, 2013
imperiouxx: His visa is still valid. Resumption on I-20 is what changed.

He won't be interviewed again? What if he's going to a different school?

Wouldn't it have been easier to obtain an I-20 from a CC and use the visa he already has with it?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 6:54pm On Jan 05, 2013
Yvete:

He's a guy!! Looool. He was originally going to Kentucky so you've adopted him in Dallas Gboyega. Hmnn

Isn't DFW a nice metropolis to live in?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 6:57pm On Jan 05, 2013
GboyegaD: Isn't DFW a nice metropolis to live in?

It sure is! Just too quiet for me anyways. @Seunbunmi, here's your new 'father'. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 6:58pm On Jan 05, 2013
Yvete:

He won't be interviewed again? What if he's going to a different school?

Wouldn't it have been easier to obtain an I-20 from a CC and use the visa he already has with it?

No he won't. I have seen people deferred after Visa but don't know about if another school. All the same, he still have documents of release from the school on his visa and acceptance from the new school. Therefore, he visa is still valid.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 7:04pm On Jan 05, 2013
geodarmy:

Well you may be correct to a point, but one thing i've come to realize is that, the US government aren't silly and know what they want, foreign students are the ones holding up the economy of this country to the level it is presently, not just any foreign student but foreign students in STEM majors particularly...you can hardly find "Americans" studying engineering courses, and of course after graduation, the companies here would require the services of such people to be able to run effectively and meet their goals, moreover foreign students are rugged and reliable considering the places most of them came from...and yeah healthcare is equally good but like someone said, what are the prospects of getting a job after you study healthcare or an oil and gas related course, it's not automatic, you still have to fight for your space in the job arena, and i think it applies to most courses....let's refrain from confusing people, and that you don't get a job in the USA doesn't mean you wouldn't get in any other country, you have an international degree which makes you a perfect match for many countries worldwide, I have a friend who schooled in the UK for his masters in Mech Engineering and now works in UAE for Schlumberger...follow your route is my own ooo..."cos changing because someone said so might just be the mistake you were ever gonna make in your life.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by geodarmy: 7:12pm On Jan 05, 2013
walex57:
Well you may be correct to a point, but one thing i've come to realize is that, the US government aren't silly and know what they want, foreign students are the ones holding up the economy of this country to the level it is presently, not just any foreign student but foreign students in STEM majors particularly...you can hardly find "Americans" studying engineering courses, and of course after graduation, the companies here would require the services of such people to be able to run effectively and meet their goals, moreover foreign students are rugged and reliable considering the places most of them came from...and yeah healthcare is equally good but like someone said, what are the prospects of getting a job after you study healthcare or an oil and gas related course, it's not automatic, you still have to fight for your space in the job arena, and i think it applies to most courses....let's refrain from confusing people, and that you don't get a job in the USA doesn't mean you wouldn't get in any other country, you have an international degree which makes you a perfect match for many countries worldwide, I have a friend who schooled in the UK for his masters in Mech Engineering and now works in UAE for Schlumberger...follow your route is my own ooo..."cos changing because someone said so might just be the mistake you were ever gonna make in your life.

May God help us all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Seunbunmi(m): 7:13pm On Jan 05, 2013
@yvete, am visa is still valid, I jst need to get anoder i-20 from msu to pass thru d immigration, n move to my choice of school
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 7:18pm On Jan 05, 2013
geodarmy:

May God help us all.
amen ooo....are you in California...are y'all telling me no one's in CA here...i'm more lonely than imperiouxx ooo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 7:18pm On Jan 05, 2013
geodarmy:

May God help us all.

Why stress the mechanical engineering? You seem to me like another Bisi Akande in the making.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 7:19pm On Jan 05, 2013
Yvete:

It sure is! Just too quiet for me anyways. @Seunbunmi, here's your new 'father'. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I am moving out of DFW by the end of Spring 2013 hopefully.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by geodarmy: 7:24pm On Jan 05, 2013
walex57:
amen ooo....are you in California...are y'all telling me no one's in CA here...i'm more lonely than imperiouxx ooo

No, I am not but like I said, a guy I met here live in the Oil city in California. He is a geologist too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by geodarmy: 7:27pm On Jan 05, 2013
GboyegaD:

Why stress the mechanical engineering? You seem to me like another Bisi Akande in the making.

I stressed it because his friend studied one of the STEM majors, an engineer and also in the Oil and Gas sector. grin

Like I have rightly posited about STEM.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jan 05, 2013
walex57:
E tire me too o, everybody dey go Texas,etc no one wan show for my side..I don dey watch thread since months now... cry cry angry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 7:35pm On Jan 05, 2013
moroh:
E tire me too o, everybody dey go Texas,etc no one wan show for my side..I don dey watch thread since months now... cry cry angry
Na CA you dey?...yes oo all of them dey Texas...and i love Texas food ooo...I dey go Texas Roadhouse for here go chop at times..I love their steak..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 7:42pm On Jan 05, 2013
walex57:

Like I said, Biochem is versatile..... making people multifunctional. One last switch in my education I'm on the right path into Biomedical science (Health) purpose of my daily research. If US can't contain us all, Canada is there for a postdoc(Job).

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 7:46pm On Jan 05, 2013
imperiouxx:

Like I said, Biochem is versatile..... making people multifunctional. One last switch in my education I'm on the right path into Biomedical science (Health) purpose of my daily research. If US can't contain us all, Canada is there for a postdoc(Job).
Na so oooo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 7:55pm On Jan 05, 2013
imperiouxx:

Naija sef dey
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by geodarmy: 8:03pm On Jan 05, 2013
GboyegaD:

Naija sef dey

Somalia sef dey. shocked

Afghanistan sef dey. shocked

Sao Tome sef dey. shocked
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 8:05pm On Jan 05, 2013
^^^ You guyz are not serious grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 8:18pm On Jan 05, 2013
geodarmy:

Somalia sef dey. shocked

Afghanistan sef dey. shocked

Sao Tome sef dey. shocked

Are you scared to go back home?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by geodarmy: 8:20pm On Jan 05, 2013
kpolli:

Are you scared to go back home?

Maybe after plenty years of experience here.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 8:22pm On Jan 05, 2013
imperiouxx: ^^^ You guyz are not serious grin

Why do you think so?

(1) (2) (3) ... (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.