Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,357 members, 7,857,310 topics. Date: Tuesday, 11 June 2024 at 03:11 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (219) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (309629 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by virginice: 5:26pm On Jan 22, 2013
I wrote gre buh it wasnt compulsory instead optional(like d sch will say) It was part f d docx I sent to dem. Av only received d mail like I said stating d offer I got n I accepted d ofa.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by FindOut(m): 5:32pm On Jan 22, 2013
Agielted:

Guys, I'm yet to receive your responses. Please...

University of Oklahoma is also one of the schools I intend applying to. However, I dont have much info on it apart from what's available on usnews and other review sites. I think the tution is fairly moderate & seems they give scholarships and all as well. How easily? I don't know. Would also love to hear from our people over there on here if they know anything about the school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Agielted: 5:32pm On Jan 22, 2013
imperiouxx:

Any public school is good, I applied to FIU, miami but got turned down undecided
And that's my top choice. lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 5:35pm On Jan 22, 2013
Agielted:
And that's my top choice. lol

You are better than I do nau wink... Good for it then but it's not public school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by FindOut(m): 5:38pm On Jan 22, 2013
imperiouxx:

For biology courses then you will compete with america counterpart. That's the field they study most at advanced level. I love Biomedical science sha. You can look into that. Choosing MS instead of that PhD then was my best decision.

Hmm... Will look into that too. Thanks boss. Biomedical Science/Engineering are areas we are not really into here in naija yet (which is an advantage) tho I forsee things changing within the next decade. Hmm..... Good. You made a good decision & you are still convinced it was the right thing, happy for you bro. Na why u don fall in love with your lab grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 5:40pm On Jan 22, 2013
Find Out!:

Hmm... Will look into that too. Thanks boss. Biomedical Science/Engineering are areas we are not really into here in naija yet (which is an advantage) tho I forsee things changing within the next decade. Hmm..... Good. You made a good decision & you are still convinced it was the right thing, happy for you bro. Na why u don fall in love with your lab grin

Science is in the heart not in the head. When you love your work, you get positive results. This is my only hope here.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Agielted: 5:41pm On Jan 22, 2013
imperiouxx:

You are better than I do nau wink... Good for it then.
I refuse to measure your capabilities to mine just because FIU didn't accept your application. No one's equal to the other. We are all unique in our own ways. If you know what I mean.
Things don't just happen, there's always a reason. You were meant to be in New Mexico.
Wait a sec' what do you mean by not a pub. Uni?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by FindOut(m): 5:42pm On Jan 22, 2013
virgin ice: I wrote gre buh it wasnt compulsory instead optional(like d sch will say) It was part f d docx I sent to dem. Av only received d mail like I said stating d offer I got n I accepted d ofa.

Ok. Wait for your i-20 to arrive, while away time reading this thread & be rest assured that by the time it comes, you'll know what exactly you have to do. Its not so difficult. You've gone thru the hard part smiley & what's more, you have plenty of time. I assume you are due to resume for the Fall semester- August? So no worries smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 5:49pm On Jan 22, 2013
Agielted:
I refuse to measure your capabilities to mine just because FIU didn't accept your application. No one's equal to the other. We are all unique in our own ways. If you know what I mean.
Things don't just happen, there's always a reason. You were meant to be in New Mexico.
Wait a sec' what do you mean by not a pub. Uni?

Bold statement: That's so true. Thanks

Not public school so getting grants may be highly compete because public schools don't get much grants from government but individual professor has his/her grant which might not go round much students. Hope you know you got to impress your professor before he/she can stand for you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Agielted: 5:52pm On Jan 22, 2013
imperiouxx:

Bold statement: That's so true. Thanks

Not public school so getting grants may be highly compete because public schools don't get much grants from government but individual professor has his/her grant which might not go round much students. Hope you know you got to impress your professor before he/she can stand for you.
FIU is said to be a public research University on the school website, us news, wikipedia and other student review websites.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 5:53pm On Jan 22, 2013
Agielted:
FIU is said to be a public research University on the school website, us news, wikipedia and other student review websites.

Oh! That should be my bad then. I think I need to check it once more. Those International University used to be private schools. If FIU is a public, then good for you but I know it's a big school but their % acceptance is low.

I'm out of here for the day. Later guys
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Agielted: 5:56pm On Jan 22, 2013
imperiouxx:

Oh! That should be my bad then. I think I need to check it once more. those International University used to be private schools.

I'm out of here to the day. Later guys
Okay, have a great day!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Agielted: 6:06pm On Jan 22, 2013
imperiouxx:

You are better than I do nau wink... Good for it then.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jan 22, 2013
Pls can anyone help with Gre study material(hard copy), i'm willing to pay, there is hardly power to access my lappy for the soft copy here in this village i'm serving.. Pls anyone
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Lagishan: 7:18pm On Jan 22, 2013
@bigfrancis, kindly send gmat material to bigmuyee@yahoo.co.uk.
Thanks a lot.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by BTT(m): 7:20pm On Jan 22, 2013
pls help!

I have TOEFL test on Friday and I'm telling you I dont know anything about it. Pls somebody help with info on what to watch out for.

You can also email me pls. bttadebisi@gmail.com

Warm regards.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Dotun82: 7:56pm On Jan 22, 2013
Yvete: If you still want to communicate outside here, you'd have to send me a substantial message because I don't reply everybody. That's a dummy email for internet purposes. Stay safe!!

Do you have special preferences of whom to reply and ignore? I'm scared that my message would not be substantial enough for you to reply (jokes). I'm trying to help my twin sister with a masters application here and i think that you could be of help since you live here. She's just like you with the same attitude, fierceness and smartness. I'll send you an email right away. Pls reply.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by log1(m): 8:02pm On Jan 22, 2013
ogbeche77: Pls can anyone help with Gre study material(hard copy), i'm willing to pay, there is hardly power to access my lappy for the soft copy here in this village i'm serving.. Pls anyone
Kindly visit any big bookshop in the state capital u are serving and purchase barron and kaplan txtbks. With that u ar good to go.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 8:05pm On Jan 22, 2013
@findout i am also writing the GRE exam on Saturday at ikeja. i studied biochemistry. which schools do u intend to apply for ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jan 22, 2013
log1:
Kindly visit any big bookshop in the state capital u are serving and purchase barron and kaplan txtbks. With that u ar good to go.
I visited one at the city last week but the latest gre books they have was revised 2002
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by log1(m): 8:46pm On Jan 22, 2013
bukahands: @findout i am also writing the GRE exam on Saturday at ikeja. i studied biochemistry. which schools do u intend to apply for ?
I wish you success bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by log1(m): 8:52pm On Jan 22, 2013
Ogbeche77: I visited one at the city last week but the latest gre books they have was revised 2002

By now, new editions are already out. Ask the bookshop to make an order for u. If they cant do that, you have to travel down to Lagos for it.
Most of these books are online but purchasing them frm iz the problm.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jan 22, 2013
log1:

By now, new editions are already out. Ask the bookshop to make an order for u. If they cant do that, you have to travel down to Lagos for it.
Most of these books are online but purchasing them frm iz the problm.
thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mystiqme: 12:14am On Jan 23, 2013
To all that ask: Yes you can apply directly from Bsc to PhD, that's what I did. Out of my classmates here, only 2 out of 8 have Msc and na the same requirements all of us dey do. However, be prepared to hit the ground running when you get here. I don't mean to scare you but it ain't easy.
I also agree with Imperiouxx that an MSc might give you an edge in case you want to develop your research skills or you just don't like long story of PhD.lol.
The only thing is you might find it easier to get funding for PhD than for MSc. Not impossible, but easier.
As for me, I nor get any money.. cheesy cheesy cheesy.
The Visa interview is gonna be a breeze, just smile and answer confidently, It is very rare for them to refuse Phd Visa.
I hail all my Babas o, Imperiouxx and his harem wink wink wink, Kpolli, walex, etc.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by FindOut(m): 12:26am On Jan 23, 2013
Ogbeche77: I visited one at the city last week but the latest gre books they have was revised 2002

I believe luxurious buses from Lagos get to whatever state you are. right?lol. I actually run what i call a "book pre-order" biz part-time outside NL. Got into it accidentally when I had to procure books for some corpers i left behind in Delta & some who had returned to their houses in other states. Yes, I can get you the 2012 Kaplan and/or Barron GRE, GMAT, IBT TOEFL or even SAT sef if you want.lol. Send me a PM so we can discuss & fear not, I make very little (when any) profit.lol.....coz we are in the same shoes o. Also preparing for my GRE which I'm writing on saturday. & please any book buying and sending will be done after that saturday. Thanks.

Justwise, apologies o! I hope this post won't be regarded as an advert, coz it isn't.lol.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by FindOut(m): 12:32am On Jan 23, 2013
bukahands: @findout i am also writing the GRE exam on Saturday at ikeja. i studied biochemistry. which schools do u intend to apply for ?

At First Logic I believe? Same here too o! Best of luck to us. Schools I've picked for now are: (list still undergoing continuous review for no.s 3 and 4)
1) Indiana University Bloomington (Application submitted online; currently assembling supplemental materials for postage)
2) University of Cincinnati Ohio (Still working on SOP, currently open on MSword here)
3) University of Oklahoma
4) Still working on it.lol

How about you?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by FindOut(m): 12:35am On Jan 23, 2013
Mystiqme: To all that ask: Yes you can apply directly from Bsc to PhD, that's what I did. Out of my classmates here, only 2 out of 8 have Msc and na the same requirements all of us dey do. However, be prepared to hit the ground running when you get here. I don't mean to scare you but it ain't easy.
I also agree with Imperiouxx that an MSc might give you an edge in case you want to develop your research skills or you just don't like long story of PhD.lol.
The only thing is you might find it easier to get funding for PhD than for MSc. Not impossible, but easier.
As for me, I nor get any money.. cheesy cheesy cheesy.
The Visa interview is gonna be a breeze, just smile and answer confidently, It is very rare for them to refuse Phd Visa.
I hail all my Babas o, Imperiouxx and his harem wink wink wink, Kpolli, walex, etc.

Hmmm...thanks for the insight smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mystiqme: 12:49am On Jan 23, 2013
Find Out!:

At First Logic I believe? Same here too o! Best of luck to us. Schools I've picked for now are: (list still undergoing continuous review for no.s 3 and 4)
1) Indiana University Bloomington (Application submitted online; currently assembling supplemental materials for postage)
2) University of Cincinnati Ohio (Still working on SOP, currently open on MSword here)

How about you?
Lol.. I wrote GRE and TOEFL at FirstLogic. The place aint bad. Success!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mystiqme: 12:54am On Jan 23, 2013
@Winbyforce.. that interview thing will be fine. Draw up a plan for the research you hope to do and talk confidently about it.Read up on the important people and their groundbreaking achievements too. Use the guideline Imperiouxx put somewhere here.
I am happy I did not have to do interview o..lol.
Find Out!:

Hmmm...thanks for the insight smiley
You are welcome sir. smiley smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mystiqme: 12:59am On Jan 23, 2013
Find Out!:

How about you?
Funny thing is I actually applied to 2 out of the three universities you listed here.lol.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by FindOut(m): 1:00am On Jan 23, 2013
Mystiqme:
Lol.. I wrote GRE and TOEFL at FirstLogic. The place aint bad. Success!

Hmmm..thanks again bro. Btw, whats the name of your school make i check am out sharp sharp grin I must have checked out up to 30 schools' websites this year alone! embarassed God help me.
I'll understand if you want to keep it private tho
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by FindOut(m): 1:01am On Jan 23, 2013
Mystiqme:
Funny thing is I actually applied to 2 out of the three universities you listed here.lol.

LOL! Really? which and which? & did you get admits there?

(1) (2) (3) ... (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.