Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,351 members, 7,850,276 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:33 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (220) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (309519 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 1:04am On Jan 23, 2013
Yvete:

awww that's very sweet joan. smiley
Imperiouxx: Hope you're good!

Yvete o!!! Now they are shooting in ur state cry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mystiqme: 1:06am On Jan 23, 2013
Indiana and Oklahoma, I also applied to another school in Ohio. No admits though. angry angry angry.
You can send me a PM. Apparently, I can't send one presently.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by winbyforce: 1:19am On Jan 23, 2013
Mystiqme: @Winbyforce.. that interview thing will be fine. Draw up a plan for the research you hope to do and talk confidently about it.Read up on the important people and their groundbreaking achievements too. Use the guideline Imperiouxx put somewhere here.
I am happy I did not have to do interview o..lol.

[/i]

Thanks a lot mystiqme
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by FindOut(m): 1:20am On Jan 23, 2013
Mystiqme: Indiana and Oklahoma, I also applied to another school in Ohio. No admits though. angry angry angry.
You can send me a PM. Apparently, I can't send one presently.

Really, IUB should better accept me o! lol.

@bolded, Done!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 1:22am On Jan 23, 2013
Mystiqme: To all that ask: Yes you can apply directly from Bsc to PhD, that's what I did. Out of my classmates here, only 2 out of 8 have Msc and na the same requirements all of us dey do. However, be prepared to hit the ground running when you get here. I don't mean to scare you but it ain't easy.
I also agree with Imperiouxx that an MSc might give you an edge in case you want to develop your research skills or you just don't like long story of PhD.lol.
The only thing is you might find it easier to get funding for PhD than for MSc. Not impossible, but easier.
As for me, I nor get any money.. cheesy cheesy cheesy.
The Visa interview is gonna be a breeze, just smile and answer confidently, It is very rare for them to refuse Phd Visa.
I hail all my Babas o, Imperiouxx and his harem wink wink wink, Kpolli, walex, etc.

We hail back sir

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by winbyforce: 1:40am On Jan 23, 2013
imperiouxx:

You guys will just be fine coming for your PhD (you will be able to file for yourself if you can complete your PhD). I envy both of you but na just some few months cover mine. virgin ice, for the enlightenment, Part 1 till now is the only thing that can do that. Winbyforce, don't be too anxious you will scale the by phone interview and the embassy too. Just know about your research and what will you do if you get a negative result in your research. A friend once told me that was one of his phone interview questions. You can still apply to some other school like SDSU. The school accepted to give me a PhD admission in Biochem then but I was a noob about how embassy feels about direct PhD without MS embarassed not until I was at the embassy, then I realized the embassy also love such. cry Well God knows better than I do sha. wink

Thanks for the encouragement imperiouxx.Always helpful wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by winbyforce: 2:11am On Jan 23, 2013
edun.o:
please house, how can i register for GRE and toefl myself?
You can use your visa debit card to register for toefl,just go to the ets/toefl website,open an account and register. GRE? Not sure -I registered and did it at first logic in ikeja,lagos.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 2:20am On Jan 23, 2013
kpolli: Yvete o!!! Now they are shooting in ur state cry

Real talk, your crying smiley made me laugh out loud! grin cheesy grin cheesy

Its not just in my state, but in my city. Scary stuff! I'm sick of these evil shooters and the US Media too. Forget psychopathy, this is pure evil!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 2:26am On Jan 23, 2013
Dotun82: Do you have special preferences of whom to reply and ignore? I'm scared that my message would not be substantial enough for you to reply (jokes). I'm trying to help my twin sister with a masters application here and i think that you could be of help since you live here. She's just like you with the same attitude, fierceness and smartness. I'll send you an email right away. Pls reply.

Hmnnnn... what can I possibly say to you? Typical Nigerian man = very persistent! grin

Aiight, I promise to reply your message and if you send me a one-liner, I'd reply accordingly. Please ask your Sis to read this thread from part 1-3. No biggie smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 2:37am On Jan 23, 2013
Mamacita007: Oga imperrioux, I received ur msg thru yvete. Thnx. Uve made me happy llooll Buh U pple shud not talk abt me again oo or else? Dem talk say all work and no play makes mamacita very bored.I need d state Id card abeg.I can still get d drivers licence wen I move dis summer buh I need at least one Id for now. don't allow yvete and kpolli corrupt u so stay in ur lab and focus on ur studies llooolll

I donno where you guys get the idea that Imperiouxx is a saint. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Even Dexter wasn't a very good boy in that lab! grin cheesy grin cheesy
Come May, its a wrap with Phoenix. Can't wait to see youuu! ((e-hug)) lol

kpolli: Person wey dey groove dey try encourage others not to.... Hmm

Exactly! undecided

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by hariyoh: 2:46am On Jan 23, 2013
Duote author=Yvete]

I donno where you guys get the idea that Imperiouxx is a saint. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Even Dexter wasn't a very good boy in that lab! grin cheesy grin cheesy

quote author=kpolli]Person wey dey groove dey try encourage others not to.... Hmm

Exactly! undecided[/quote][b][/b] grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 2:57am On Jan 23, 2013
log1:
I wish you success bro.

Thanks Man
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 3:06am On Jan 23, 2013
Anthonymighty: i want to ask is it possible to get an accommodation when i fly down to the US without any form of id. because my school says that i will have to look for one myself. But they gave me places to search for them though. More so, i was checking some studio apt. on craigslist in Boston, quite expensive though but they all want a form of id before letting it out.

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 3:11am On Jan 23, 2013
Find Out!:

At First Logic I believe? Same here too o! Best of luck to us. Schools I've picked for now are: (list still undergoing continuous review for no.s 3 and 4)
1) Indiana University Bloomington (Application submitted online; currently assembling supplemental materials for postage)
2) University of Cincinnati Ohio (Still working on SOP, currently open on MSword here)
3) University of Oklahoma
4) Still working on it.lol

How about you?

I haven't applied yet, I want to write the GRE first then that will determine the schools I will apply to. The schools topping ma list is

MUN (canada) Msc biochem
Minnoseta state uni(US) environmental science

The 2 schools don't really need GRE so if I score high will switch my choice
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 3:12am On Jan 23, 2013
Mystiqme: To all that ask: Yes you can apply directly from Bsc to PhD, that's what I did. Out of my classmates here, only 2 out of 8 have Msc and na the same requirements all of us dey do. However, be prepared to hit the ground running when you get here. I don't mean to scare you but it ain't easy.
I also agree with Imperiouxx that an MSc might give you an edge in case you want to develop your research skills or you just don't like long story of PhD.lol.
The only thing is you might find it easier to get funding for PhD than for MSc. Not impossible, but easier.
As for me, I nor get any money.. cheesy cheesy cheesy.
The Visa interview is gonna be a breeze, just smile and answer confidently, It is very rare for them to refuse Phd Visa.
I hail all my Babas o, Imperiouxx and his harem wink wink wink, Kpolli, walex, etc.

Thanks my bro. Imagine the HOD of Biochem told me enough fund is available if I apply on time + my schooling will be short but I didn't reply him back. I wouldn't have been denied in my first interview had been I went with that PhD admission. I wouldn't have gain + get those opportunities I have now if I had been in SD with that PhD admission. Everything is controlled by God, His direction is the sweetest.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 3:14am On Jan 23, 2013
imperiouxx: Everything is controlled by God, His direction is the sweetest.

Yups!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 3:21am On Jan 23, 2013
Yvete:

You know I do preach to you anytime we have conversations.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 3:25am On Jan 23, 2013
imperiouxx: You know I do preach to you anytime we have conversations.

cheesy cheesy cheesy oooH whatever!! Yeah right! Like the preachy text you sent to me yesterday. It was encouraging anyways, thanks, because I was really overwhelmed and needed a lil push of encouragement.

...but it was also different cos' you're never like that. Did you become born-again yesterday? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 3:33am On Jan 23, 2013
Yvete:

cheesy cheesy cheesy oooH whatever!! Yeah right! Like the preachy text you sent to me yesterday. It was encouraging anyways, thanks, because I was really overwhelmed and needed a lil push of encouragement.

...but it was also different cos' you're never like that. Did you become born-again yesterday? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

After texting you I had a dream and was told to be righteous for the next few days that all my needs and requests would be answered before 15 days. undecided I'm getting nearer to achieve them one by one.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 3:39am On Jan 23, 2013
Funny just 15days
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 3:39am On Jan 23, 2013
bukahands: Funny just 15days

Believe me bro. Within 15 days I will start seeing signs.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 3:40am On Jan 23, 2013
imperiouxx: After texting you I had a dream and was told to be righteous for the next few days that all my needs and requests would be answered before 15 days. undecided I'm getting nearer to achieve them one by one.

smiley grin
[s]Let's not derail this thread before the 'watchdogs' start whining. [/s]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 3:41am On Jan 23, 2013
Yvete:

smiley grin Oh God! What really is righteousness?
Do the right things everyday, for life and not just for 15 days. Gist saved for another day.
[s]Let's not derail this thread before the 'watchdogs' start whining. [/s]

Hahahaha na so

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 3:43am On Jan 23, 2013
Ehe guys can someone with low 2:1 get into these Phd direct programmes ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 3:45am On Jan 23, 2013
@Yvete,

Ok. I heard you. We still have our private talk later sha, let's let the thread be.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 3:47am On Jan 23, 2013
bukahands: Ehe guys can someone with low 2:1 get into these Phd direct programmes ?

Na good track record matters about this direct PhD o. If you know say your power no fit carry 4 good years of independent research + good publications (all these no be moimoi ooo), come for your MS jeje and you can find you way after MS or you fit later join PhD after you've sharpened your research skills.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 3:49am On Jan 23, 2013
bukahands: Ehe guys can someone with low 2:1 get into these Phd direct programmes ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I've always thought that the Bachelors - Phd program is for students with first class BA/BS. I don't know how to convert Nigerian GPA's to US grading scale, but isn't it for students with Magna cu.m laude?

Besides, don't you think its easier to get a job with a Masters especially if you lack relevant work-experience or you'd like to do research?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 3:58am On Jan 23, 2013
Yvete:

Correct me if I'm wrong, I've always thought that the Bachelors - Phd program is for students with first class BA/BS. I don't know how to convert Nigerian GPA's to US system, but isn't it for students with Magna cu.m laude?

Besides, don't you think its easier to get a job with a Masters especially if you don't have relevant work-experience or you'd like to do research?

I figured 4years researching won't be dat bad and with the alarming rate of unemployment phD stands out. I go like b lecturer o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by OjaP: 3:59am On Jan 23, 2013
Yvette:

Yes, I agree with you. Masters is all you need here to get a job unless you want to be a researcher or work in research based institutions. The 3-5 years dedicated for a PhD can be used to gather years of experience under your belt since "experience is the best teacher" especially in America.

And NO, peeps with 2.1 or even 2.2 from Nigeria get into PhD program straight with their BS from Naija.

P:S - I hope to get a doctorate degree soonest though not because it will make me sellable but because I just want to be a PhD holder........lol.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 4:00am On Jan 23, 2013
imperiouxx:

Na good track record matters about this direct PhD o. If you know say your power no fit carry 4 good years of independent research + good publications (all these no be moimoi ooo), come for your MS jeje and you can find you way after MS or you fit later join PhD after you've sharpened your research skills.

I have a degree in biochem and botany with 3.52 and 4.0 respective but I have interest in biochem more sha
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 4:02am On Jan 23, 2013
OjaP: Yvette:

Yes, I agree with you. Masters is all you need here to get a job unless you want to be a researcher or work in research based institutions. The 3-5 years dedicated for a PhD can be used to gather years of experience under your belt since "experience is the best teacher" especially in America.

And NO, peeps with 2.1 or even 2.2 from Nigeria get into PhD program straight with their BS from Naija.

P:S - I hope to get a doctorate degree soonest though not because it will make me sellable but because I just want to be a PhD holder........lol.

Please u gat example of schools dat accept make I disturb them small
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 4:03am On Jan 23, 2013
Yea PhD is mainly for those that like to go for research or advanced teaching. Companies scare away from them.

@buka,

SDSU I know well well, PhD in biochemistry.

Contact

James.Rice@SDSTATE.EDU

James A. Rice
Professor & Department Head
Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry
South Dakota State University
Brookings, SD 57007-0896

(1) (2) (3) ... (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.