Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,191 members, 7,829,263 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (221) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (309004 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by OjaP: 4:04am On Jan 23, 2013
bukahands:

Please u gat example of schools dat accept make I disturb them small

Since you are a "biochemist", I would say you are talking to the wrong person. Imperiouxx will be in the best position to answer that. grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 4:09am On Jan 23, 2013
OjaP: Yvette: Yes, I agree with you. Masters is all you need here to get a job unless you want to be a researcher or work in research based institutions. The 3-5 years dedicated for a PhD can be used to gather years of experience under your belt since "experience is the best teacher" especially in America.

And NO, peeps with 2.1 or even 2.2 from Nigeria get into PhD program straight with their BS from Naija.

P:S - I hope to get a doctorate degree soonest though not because it will make me sellable but because I just want to be a PhD holder........lol

---------------------- lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
What is 2:1 and 2:2 equivalent to? I mean in US GPA system?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 4:12am On Jan 23, 2013
Yvete:

What is a 2:1 and 2:2 equivalent to? I mean in US GPA system?

Nigeria first class is the excellent that US divided into c u m laudes: c u m laude (3.50-3.64), magna c u m laude (3.65-3.79), and summa c u m laude (3.80-4.00).
Nigeria 2:1 is US 3.0 to 3.49
Nigeria 2:2 is US 2.9 to 2.5

@buka,

Check previous page, I gave you the address of the head of Chemistry & Biochem of SDSU.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 4:20am On Jan 23, 2013
imperiouxx:

@buka,

Check previous page, I gave you the address of the head of Chemistry & Biochem of SDSU.
Please am confused here, there are 2 SDSU san diego and south dakota both ending with state uni SU
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 4:23am On Jan 23, 2013
Yvete:

Hahaha!! I tried to get an MBA in Global Energy Mgmt 2 yrs ago just cos' it sounds good..lol, and got discouraged because of the Almighty GMAT. [s]I'm a total id.iot when it comes to Maths.[/s] Quit and went to field of practical Technology. Same way my Dad pressures me to round up this Masters. I'm sure its so that he can brag about it. grin grin grin Now I've got Law School in mind because my whole life, I've been told that I'll make an excellent Attorney so ... lemme take a shot at it! smiley

I think most companies esp MNCs want to 'catch them young' and also grad students right out of college. I got my first job offer with KPMG in my senior year of college. Entry-level job with decent salary and I went buckwild grin grin grin.

What is 2:1 and 2:2 equivalent to? I mean in US GPA system?

Me english disturbs me even this GRE sef, the english part na war all this comprehension blah blah

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by OjaP: 4:24am On Jan 23, 2013
Yvete:

Hahaha!! I tried to get an MBA in Global Energy Mgmt 2 yrs ago just cos' it sounds good..lol, and got discouraged because of the Almighty GMAT. I'm a total id.iot when it comes to Maths. Quit and went to field of practical Technology. Same way my Dad pressures me to round up this Masters. I'm sure its so that he can brag about it. grin grin grin Now I've got Law School in mind because my whole life, I've been told that I'll make an excellent Attorney so ... lemme take a shot at it! cheesy cheesy cheesy

I got my first job offer with KPMG in a senior year of college. Entry-level job with decent salary. I think most companies esp MNCs want to 'catch them young' and also grad students right out of college.

What is a 2:1 and 2:2 equivalent to? I mean in US GPA system?

You are so on point. I want to pursue a PhD too because my father wants his son to be a PhD holder, and also because peeps back home are over-educated. More than 80% of my friends are currently working on their PhD. I actually gained admission to two PhD schools but had to defer because I will never quit my job for full research. I am still talking to one of them to see if it will be possible for them to collaborate with my company and work from here..maybe I can just report to my Professor once a month, I know its doable....lol.

Yes, most companies like "fresh bloods", and if looking for experience, go for Masters + experience/ some go for bachelors + plenty years of experience (depending on the company).

2:1 is equivalent to a minimum of 3.0 USA GPA
2.2 ranges from 2.5 to 2.9

Some strong 2.2 can make 3.0 US equivalent if converted by WES. grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 4:27am On Jan 23, 2013
bukahands:
Please am confused here, there are 2 SDSU san diego and south dakota both ending with state uni SU

May be I made mistake then but that's why I gave you the address...which one of them is in Brookings, SD 57007-0896 and have their site has SDSTATE.EDU?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 4:30am On Jan 23, 2013
Why this NL dey censor it whenever I say c u m angry

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 4:32am On Jan 23, 2013
imperiouxx:

May be I made mistake then but that's why I gave you the address...which one of them is in Brookings, SD 57007-0896 and have their site has SDSTATE.EDU?

Its south dakota, the school looks mild with their requirements 3.0 gpa, GRE etc WES hmmm thanks mate

But I don't understand the part of submit degree cert do they mean I will send dem ma original certificate no way
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by olarwarlay(m): 4:40am On Jan 23, 2013
Sister Yvete, tnx once again for dat material U sent Me o... God bless U plenty plenty. smiley

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 4:41am On Jan 23, 2013
imperiouxx: Nigeria first class is the excellent that US divided into c.um laudes: c.um laude (3.50-3.64), magna c.um laude (3.65-3.79), and summa c.um laude (3.80-4.00).
OjaP: 2:1 is equivalent to a minimum of 3.0 USA GPA
2.2 ranges from 2.5 to 2.9

I guess a First Class is from 3.5 - 4.0. Hmnnn I've always thought that a Magma c.um laude is the Nigerian First class. Wow!

bukahands: Me english disturbs me even this GRE sef, the english part na war all this comprehension blah blah

Loool all that archaic vocabulary. Gruber's verbal and AWA section is great to practice with. Timing is the problem with the GRE.
Success to GRE test takers this year!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 4:43am On Jan 23, 2013
olarwarlay: Sister Yvete, tnx once again for dat material U sent Me o... God bless U plenty plenty. smiley

Loool Olarwarlay. This is over how many days ago?? loool cheesy cheesy grin cheesy
Hope you're studying hard. If you've been out of school for a while, it could be a lil challenging getting into 'studying mode' again. Hang in there, SUCCESS!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mystiqme: 4:49am On Jan 23, 2013
[quote author=imperiouxx]

Nigeria first class is the excellent that US divided into c u m laudes: c u m laude (3.50-3.64), magna c u m laude (3.65-3.79), and summa c u m laude (3.80-4.00).

Hahaha why nairaland dey censor c.um na?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 4:50am On Jan 23, 2013
Mystiqme: Hahaha why nairaland dey censor c.um na?

I no no o angry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by olarwarlay(m): 4:59am On Jan 23, 2013
Yvete:

Loool Olarwarlay. This is over how many days ago?? loool cheesy cheesy grin cheesy
Hope you're studying hard. If you've been out of school for a while, it could be a lil challenging getting into 'studying mode' again. Hang in there, SUCCESS!

Ahh! Lemme tnk U 'coz I know for sure U are a very busy person, but U still found time to send that to Me... I'm even looking forward to meeting d great & intelligent Yvete in person, and maybe adopt U as ma Momma((lool)) grin and yes ma'am, I'm studying very hard. Thanks!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 5:14am On Jan 23, 2013
Yvete:

I guess a First Class is from 3.5 - 4.0. Hmnnn I've always thought that a Magma c.um laude is the Nigerian First class. Wow!

Loool All that archaic vocabulary. Gruber's verbal and AWA section is great to practice with. Timing is the problem with the GRE.
Success to GRE test takers this year!

Thank u
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Mystiqme: 5:19am On Jan 23, 2013
Yvete:Mama awon boyz grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 5:21am On Jan 23, 2013
--------------------
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 5:22am On Jan 23, 2013
Mystiqme: Yvete:Mama awon boyz grin grin grin

Haha! Far from it. More like USA Students thread most hated or perhaps, most controversial! grin cheesy grin cheesy

@ Olarwarlay Its a small world. We could meet someday, you never know!

Good night yall!

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by virginice: 6:38am On Jan 23, 2013
For gre test takers dat stil av tym to study bfor d test date, try. "cracking the revised version" by princeton. I used it for d verbal aspect most, it was helpful. For those going for phd, folo ur heart and wen u get to d river, u wee cross afterall d pipu doin der phd direct don't av 2 HEADS and dey r surviving. Am 25yrs and I can't wait to start doin research and experience it all cos I bliv it will b fun. Der is nothing like doing wat u want and succeedin @ it. So house, stop all d controversy abt masters and phd instead let's focus on getting evribody to der destination...wat I love abt naija peeps is der spirit to succeed, e dey ginger me grin As for d cgpa tingy, pls go to google and if u no 'all' ur result and course codes n topics u will b able to convert ur gp to 4.0. I converted mine wc was a 4.29/5.0 ~ 3.2/4.0 lipsrsealed so goodluck wit d conversion tingy :'

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Abooks: 6:50am On Jan 23, 2013
virgin ice: For gre test takers dat stil av tym to study bfor d test date, try. "cracking the revised version" by princeton. I used it for d verbal aspect most, it was helpful. For those going for phd, folo ur heart and wen u get to d river, u wee cross afterall d pipu doin der phd direct don't av 2 HEADS and dey r surviving. Am 25yrs and I can't wait to start doin research and experience it all cos I bliv it will b fun. Der is nothing like doing wat u want and succeedin @ it. So house, stop all d controversy abt masters and phd instead let's focus on getting evribody to der destination...wat I love abt naija peeps is der spirit to succeed, e dey ginger me
[color=#000099][/color] hmmm spoken like the true you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 6:53am On Jan 23, 2013
((Shakes head)) cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 6:59am On Jan 23, 2013
virgin ice: For gre test takers dat stil av tym to study bfor d test date, try. "cracking the revised version" by princeton. I used it for d verbal aspect most, it was helpful. For those going for phd, folo ur heart and wen u get to d river, u wee cross afterall d pipu doin der phd direct don't av 2 HEADS and dey r surviving. Am 25yrs and I can't wait to start doin research and experience it all cos I bliv it will b fun. Der is nothing like doing wat u want and succeedin @ it. So house, stop all d controversy abt masters and phd instead let's focus on getting evribody to der destination...wat I love abt naija peeps is der spirit to succeed, e dey ginger me grin As for d cgpa tingy, pls go to google and if u no 'all' ur result and course codes n topics u will b able to convert ur gp to 4.0. I converted mine wc was a 4.29/5.0 ~ 3.2/4.0 lipsrsealed so goodluck wit d conversion tingy :'

looool...you are really funny. But I will beg you to watch what you're saying. If there is anything like discouragement I haven't seen it here since few days past. Or you mean advising someone on direct PhD is discouraging the person? or given address of the school and breakdown of the program is what you called discouragement?. Moreover, I don't see what you wrote up there as an advice or encouragement rather than another begin of havoc and controversy. Take note abeg ma'am.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by OjaP: 7:11am On Jan 23, 2013
imperiouxx:

looool...you are really funny. But I will beg you to watch what you're saying. If there is anything like discouragement I haven't seen it here since few days past. Or you mean advising someone on direct PhD is discouraging the person? or given address the school and breakdown of the program is what you called discouragement?. Moreover, I don't see what you wrote up there as an advice or encouragement rather than another begin of havoc and controversy. Take note abeg ma'am.

Ms Virgin grin :

What are you even saying? Are you sure you are posting in the right thread? grin

Imperiouxx: Please tell her.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by virginice: 7:21am On Jan 23, 2013
U r mistaken imepriouxx, my message aint personal n it's for all das y I dint quote any1. Wat am saying is dat no need for long tin weda masters or phd or Bsc sef. D main tin is 'We all' shud pick d best program dat YOU want personally and go for it. B sure of wat u want so dat wen u get der, u will perform n b proud of ursef, if not one may not even achieve d main aim of travelling, except one is jus doin it cos odas r or u bin told to by parents. (Dis msg is for d decision makers who av nt finalized) wat do YOU want for ursef?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by virginice: 7:24am On Jan 23, 2013
OjaP:

Ms Virgin grin :

What are you even saying? Are you sure you are posting in the right thread? grin

Imperiouxx: Please tell her.

Hmmmm...I see u r mistaken
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 7:26am On Jan 23, 2013
@virgin ice,

Just stop all this. It won't help the thread.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by OjaP: 7:29am On Jan 23, 2013
virgin ice:

Hmmmm...I see u r mistaken

Why quoting me? Is your name Ms. Virgin? Abeg oo

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by obusco4lyfe(m): 7:39am On Jan 23, 2013
pls u guyz shld calm down'oo.....d *heat* is increasing speedily!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 8:12am On Jan 23, 2013
ywete, pls if you have soft copy of GRE materials, kindly send to me, charles4real2005@yahoo.com
pls, house help me. My exam is for feb.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 8:15am On Jan 23, 2013
imperiouxx pls if you have GRE soft copy material, pls kindly help, charles4real2005@yahoo.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by fadinus(m): 9:30am On Jan 23, 2013
una wan stat yabis again abi.....Ojap Vs Mrs Virgina

(1) (2) (3) ... (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Need Help With Direction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.