Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,167 members, 7,849,603 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:37 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (77) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (309377 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 6:34am On Sep 20, 2012
Allohrandy: I have been in the US for about a month now and one thing i have discover here is that life in America is not easy o especially as an International Student. Cost of living here in California is very high; i spend approximately 1000 dollars a month on feeding, accommodation, transportation, bills and utilities. So my advice to any prospective Students in this forum is please come prepare because life in America na O.Y.O. Also, just as IMPERIOUXX as stated avoid expensive states like California, New York , Illinois except you have relatives and family members in those states that will be willing to take good care of you. Try to apply for cheaper states ( states that have low standard of living). In California, the least amount you can pay for a room is 600 dollars per month. Also, the economy of America presently is bad; the unemployment rate is currently 10 percent. Also, there is a lot of poverty here especially among African Americans. So getting a good job is not really easy although it is still better than Nigeria. As for me, after i am through with my masters program and my one year internship, i may go back to Nigeria if i can't find a really good and high paying job here in America. i can't do odd jobs ( Waiter or cleaners jobs) here in America just like how most Nigerians and Africans do here. i rather go back to Nigeria and start a business with the experience i got from my study here in US. One thing i believe is that, it is GOD that gives success to a man and it is not by just staying in America. after all, my dad in Nigeria is far more successful that 3 of my uncles that have been living in USA for close to 17 years.
Also, i hate it when Nigerians back home feel that life in USA is a bed of roses.imagine all my friends and girls back home are asking me to send dollars to them as if i dey pluck dollars from trees for America. They wouldn't understand when I tell them that life in USA non easy. The only thing i find interesting in America is that things are really organize down here. I wish things were organize in Nigeria like it is here. But Overall, i still prefer Nigerian life style to American life style. there is no place like home.

Please, learn to verify information before you post. Present unemployment rate is 8.1% as of August and not 10% and besides, whenever I checked, the unemployment rate in our beloved Nigeria although without statistics we all know it is higher, thus, it doesn't do us any good if because we want to drive home our points we paint other parties (America) in this case in bad lights. Besides, the other sentence of yours which I boldened seems funny to me. I think it is time you start to compare yourself with those who got the better jobs and ask them how they went about it if you intend staying because, it is rather so unfortunate that most of my friends who finished their programs here in the US have relatively good jobs and most times, I find it difficult to relate to such statements when I hear that graduates are doing the cleaning jobs. The few ones I know doing CNA amongst the ones I know never finished their programs as such, I wouldn't have been surprised seeing them doing such jobs. This is my opinion though.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 6:37am On Sep 20, 2012
Chi-town Base:
well i dont know how u guys make research about states and all that..but one thing is anyone interested in coming here should be prepared regardless of the states u go live in there is always expensive places and cheap places so u just have to find out. i stay in Illinois and i pay $300 for rent and $20 for internet and 30 at most for electricity for a one bedroom apartment so u just gotta find out. try to make friends with not just indians alone there are cool black and white americans, and also check organizations around you like church, african student association, ahplha phi, sororities meet people thats the best way to get so many information u need dey will let u kno mehn.....as funding like imperioux always emphasize on mehn thats a great deal. like almost all my firends in grad school are going to school free of charge dey only pay like $800 a semester for student fees tuition is fully funded by the school plus they get stipend monthly like $900 for up keep. so life is what u make it. if u feel u are not enjoying here is becos u have not found a way out. so try and mingle mehn....AMERICA IS FUN FOR THOSE WHO KNO THEIR WAY...NOT ILLEGAL OOO OR SCAM. grin grin grin grin grin

This got me laughing and all I can say is thank you. Life here is about moving with the right people and getting all necessary information because it is key to living a comfortable life.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by euroboy: 7:48am On Sep 20, 2012
Hey guys, please am still awaiting for your advises. Thank you...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by mrswagger: 9:33am On Sep 20, 2012
Hello Nairalanders, Pls house I would like to suggest that age is becoming an issue for some people regarding their current academic level. Some people feel so discouraged to apply for undergraduate study because they feel they are too old. Pls anyone who has gotten his student visa at undergraduate level should please indicate their age as well while posting their success story as this would motivate others as well. Thanks guys.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Paywole: 9:34am On Sep 20, 2012
bigfrancis21:

Yes.
Why?
pls francis can u send me the toefl material pls..paywole@yahoo.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by hariyoh: 10:54am On Sep 20, 2012
Right tread to be at the right time. Loads of information gathered. Thumbs up to you guys Imperiouxx, Justwise, Gboyega, Bigfrancis, Alloyrandy, Kpolli, Square and what a minute where is Wariz Kazeem and Walex57. Am still undergoing the learning process.[i][/i][color=#000099][/color] undecided
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by biofem2000: 3:41pm On Sep 20, 2012
GboyegaD:

This got me laughing and all I can say is thank you. Life here is about moving with the right people and getting all necessary information because it is key to living a comfortable life.
H GboyegaD, thank you too for all you`ve said. Me and you share the same opinion about this beloved country; America I mean. Its all about getting the right information, moving with the right people and listening when they advise you. When people are more than themselves....the rest is story. A yoruba adage says "Ori ti yoo ba je igun, ti won ba fun ni adie, ko ni gba" meaning some people are destined to suffer no matter how hard you try to make them not suffer.
While I really don`t like to use this words, i will say it; "Everyone has to pay their dues". Some people will pay dearly, some people will pay so little that they won`t even know they`re paying at all. When you`re paying yours, do not complain. Life will get better if you have the right information. If after everything you still cannot take the heat, leave the kitchen. But dont complain about GEJ or NEPA ( what are they called now?) or bad roads or.....................

Listen to the people who tell you the TRUTH and nothing else. Stop listening to people who paint too good or too horrible pictures of how many bathrooms they washed daily with their PhDs.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by GboyegaD(m): 4:48pm On Sep 20, 2012
biofem2000:
H GboyegaD, thank you too for all you`ve said. Me and you share the same opinion about this beloved country; America I mean. Its all about getting the right information, moving with the right people and listening when they advise you. When people are more than themselves....the rest is story. A yoruba adage says "Ori ti yoo ba je igun, ti won ba fun ni adie, ko ni gba" meaning some people are destined to suffer no matter how hard you try to make them not suffer.
While I really don`t like to use this words, i will say it; "Everyone has to pay their dues". Some people will pay dearly, some people will pay so little that they won`t even know they`re paying at all. When you`re paying yours, do not complain. Life will get better if you have the right information. If after everything you still cannot take the heat, leave the kitchen. But dont complain about GEJ or NEPA ( what are they called now?) or bad roads or.....................

Listen to the people who tell you the TRUTH and nothing else. Stop listening to people who paint too good or too horrible pictures of how many bathrooms they washed daily with their PhDs.

Good luck.

Thanks madam, I couldn't have said it any better.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 5:19pm On Sep 20, 2012
^^^^ Sebi someone said I'm blaspheming grin and coating US with lot of saccharin 450X sweeter than glucose. grin grin The country can't favor all of us for sure but it favors me and I don't disagree that it's showing some worst. Na different life and luck we got.

My advice still remain for an average Nigerian, no GA/funding, no admission..... drop story and continue searching, yours is in front.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ChitownBase: 7:47pm On Sep 20, 2012
imperiouxx: ^^^^ Sebi someone said I'm blaspheming grin and coating US with lot of saccharin 450X sweeter than glucose. grin grin The country can't favor all of us for sure but it favors me and I don't disagree that it's showing some worst. Na different life and luck we got.

My advice still remain for an average Nigerian, no GA/funding, no admission..... drop story and continue searching, yours is in front.

you talk well jare broda...u dey go straight to the point......anyone interested in GA funding schools we can always be of help..............i go some info for ya... smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by eduson002(m): 8:16pm On Sep 20, 2012
Chi-town Base:

you talk well jare broda...u dey go straight to the point......anyone interested in GA funding schools we can always be of help..............i go some info for ya... smiley
Am very much interested in GA.I ve done some search and found some.I ve an undergrad background in communication.Pls share more wit me.Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 20, 2012
Chi-town Base:

U promised us more good schools in Illinois. We are still in need of those. I have decided to go NC or SC.Registered my GRE yesterday.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 9:44pm On Sep 20, 2012
All the first 4 universities in New Mexico give GA (either half or full) and out state tuition waiver. But your admission must be in fall and you got to do WES and GRE in most cases.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ChitownBase: 10:30pm On Sep 20, 2012
yo fellas check this schools out eatern illinois university..(www.eiu.edu)...........Illinois State University (illinoisstate.edu)...western illinois university..(www.wiu.edu).......and also shout out to my n**gaz jimtosam and impreioux dey got some more schools with full funding for y'all; u just gotta to pay less than a 1000 usd a semester in eiu for the school i kno much about...to try to check each department and call or send dem an email if necessary..........best of luck guys...i hate to see people suffer but at the same time they never try to find out imformation or make research dem selves at least to make it a lil easy for dem selves.......America is a place to be if u got the right info mehn u will live at least an average decent life with little stress but not stress free............. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 20, 2012
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 11:16pm On Sep 20, 2012
@chi town.
Checking out ISU .thanx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by eduson002(m): 11:31pm On Sep 20, 2012
Evelyn06: @chi town.
Checking out ISU .thanx
U can also check msinus.com and braintrack.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 12:46am On Sep 21, 2012
@eduson002
thanks. I've tried braintrack before now. There're lots of schools offering the program. I'm just particular about low tuition rates and financial aid from the school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Baiyewu: 12:57am On Sep 21, 2012
imperiouxx: @Djunit,

I've never coated yankee with honey and I can't discourage anyone from coming US but always encourage getting funding first. I always say it, if you don't get funding from school and your parents ain't rich, then US isn't for you. The same I tell my intimate friends in Nigeria. I also said it that funding is what poor people like me use in surviving in this place. When I was searching for school, I looked for states with average cost of living and found myself in New Mexico. Why didn't I look in California, Florida, New York, New Jersey, Illinois among others? I also searched for schools that will give me good funding. I got admission in New Mexico and Texas but later dropped Texas for New Mexico because I got all I need here. If I'm living on funding here, why can't I ask another person to get such? I tell people search for schools in south-west (New Mexico, Utah, Arizona and Colorado) + Texas and ask for funding from your schools the moment you start posting your documents to them, is it not to get affordable cost for living.

If jimtosam and webstradamus can come forward to confirm schools with full funding and we tell other people such....is that what you called sugar coating? I never said it here that you won't pay to get food stuffs in Walmart or you get salary from social security every month or your school will give you brand new car the moment you register with them.

The case of going back home, if I can spend thousands of dollar to finish my studies and home isn't promising me millions of Naira but unemployment or epileptic salary, then nobody has to tell me where I belong after studies.
Imperouxxx baba, pls can i have the list of schools that gives full tuition for chemical or petroleum engineering. omo men ebi like say man go change base oh. pls i need it asap. thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Allohrandy(m): 1:03am On Sep 21, 2012
Evelyn06: @imperiouxx and chi town.
do you think someone with a 2:2 stands a chance of being selected for any of these GA positions? My BSc is in nutrition and I'm interested in MS in nutrition/dietetics or something close to that. Pls suggest some schls with low tuition&GA positions. The ones I've checked out seem expensive.
yes, you can still get a GA with that GPA but make sure you score a very high mark in your GRE. Also, most schools give GA to their exceptional or outstanding students after their first semester of study. so if you dont get it during your application,then during your first semester try to get a an excellent GPA.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Allohrandy(m): 1:19am On Sep 21, 2012
imperiouxx: @oyewolejos,

I have confirmed it from a friend who went to renew in mexico recently. It's possible students renew their visas in mexico with their valid I-20, letter from the school and proof of funding either in the name of the student or the parents or the school(i.e scholarship or grant). When it's time, I'll know my route their too. grin Thanks
i don't think you have to go through all the stress of going to Mexico. during my international orientation, my international students adviser told us that those students that want to continue their study in the US after their masters can do so by transferring their SEVIS to the school they got accepted to for their phd provided their phd program starts 2 months or 60 days after they finish their masters program.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 1:49am On Sep 21, 2012
Allohrandy: i don't think you have to go through all the stress of going to Mexico. during my international orientation, my international students adviser told us that those students that want to continue their study in the US after their masters can do so by transferring their SEVIS to the school they got accepted to for their phd provided their phd program starts 2 months or 60 days after they finish their masters program.

Yea, I'm talking about the visa that expires after 2 years. You can continue your studies many years after expiration but the problem is you got to renew anytime you leave US before you can come back in.

Baiyewu: Imperouxxx baba, pls can i have the list of schools that gives full tuition for chemical or petroleum engineering. omo men ebi like say man go change base oh. pls i need it asap. thanks.

I only know about NM schools giving GA with out-state tuition waiver not full tuition waiver.

@Evelyn,

Your 2.2 doesn't stop you from getting GA. All you need is your standardize test and fast application. Also, you don't see GA info on search engines like that unless you check the school website or write the school inquiring about GA position.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 3:07am On Sep 21, 2012
imperiouxx:

My point is he doesn't plan to go back Britain. Is it poor in Britain now ni?

Depends on his opportunities at home compared to here. . . .

Having spent some time in both places, to me UK is better. . . . (Note: To me)

Plus if I remember well, ur doing a biological course, and its better here than UK
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 3:08am On Sep 21, 2012
Chi-town Base:

if u say amke dem no come if no enuf moni dey will think u dont want dem progress grin grin grin grin dey will learn it the hard way when they choose not to listen cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy[/b] but the truth is 9ja na 9ja dem go survive everybody face hardship one way or the other but be strong guys no matter wat............its still a place to be... grin

That doesn't apply if they don't have anyone in USA. . . . Being alone and broke here is close to suicide
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by jimtosam: 4:37am On Sep 21, 2012
eduson002: Am very much interested in GA.I ve done some search and found some.I ve an undergrad background in communication.Pls share more wit me.Thanks

Eduson, pls apply to Western Illinois University(www.wiu.edu) communication department. They give lot of GA virtually to all applicants. Act fast.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ChitownBase: 4:48am On Sep 21, 2012
kpolli:

That doesn't apply if they don't have anyone in USA. . . . Being alone and broke here is close to suicide
@kpoli i want to remind u i'm here all alone by myself but i got a family thru organizations like church and soroties in school, and they did help in so many ways. and as for being broke no body will give u any answer on that becos right from when dey got their visa i always said it as a priority even if u have funding its a must for u to have more than enuf for at least first semester so as to atleast help urself before u kno how to manage.....so any how sha na 9ja dem be shocked dem go survive. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by jimtosam: 5:19am On Sep 21, 2012
Baiyewu: Imperouxxx baba, pls can i have the list of schools that gives full tuition for chemical or petroleum engineering. omo men ebi like say man go change base oh. pls i need it asap. thanks.

Virtually all schools in USA have funding even Yale, Princeton and Harvard. But,what we are really saying is that chance is high in some compare to others. Some give assistantship based on your undergraduate CGPA and performance in GRE/GMAT. But, some schools do not really bother about those stuffs. If it is available and no much students, they give it out even to 2.2 grade. Remember GA is not a free lunch o. You will work for your department for some hours (depending on the contract,full,2/3,1/3) in a week (MAX of 20hours). Most GA waive only tuition. So student can manage to pay fees through the stipend. The best thing is that student should get GA before leaving Nigeria.But some get their own on their arrival. Like here all Economics students that we arrive here together were given GA on their arrival.So,GA also depends on department.Some departments do interview.So, inquire.

Another risky thing, if there is no GA in first semester but ur department promised you will be considered for the coming semesters. Take the risk if you can. Cos, when you are on ground, you get high chance for GA.You will know how things are going and you won't only search for GA in ur department,you try other departments. For example, virtually all Nigerians here in my school that do not have GA in their first semester get for second semester. People on ground here beg for GA.write stories about their economic hardships, meet the HOD several times.Go round all departments related to their Major (like Computer Science can try almost all departments).Now the question is how can you pay about 6k by the beginning of 2nd semester. Guys coming during spring still a bit lucky cos they will do some stuffs during summer to raise the cash. But for fall, it is very very risky. Cos, if you don't pay for 1st semester, you cant register for 2nd semester.It means you r out of school. During the first semester that you don't have GA, you can look for on campus job (MAX 20hrs). You can get one with food services company in school, bookstore, etc. On campus job not hard to get especially if you resume to school during orientation week before all students arrive. But, the cash that will be realized from this in 4mths cant pay 6k tuition.Most on campus jobs are average of $8.5/hr.Do the mathematics.So, you might need support from home to level up for first semester.

Cost of living really need lot of wisdom especially for an average guy collecting just $600-800 stipend;
for clothing,electronics: always check on thrift store. I got some $1 sweat shirts yday, you cant believe it. $4 Jeans.Just manage those stuffs for now till God establish you.
For Food: Walmart is still ok. Don't be crazy about African food cos they r expensive. Always find replacement. Like vegetables, walmart sells spinach collard green. It's like 'efo soko'..Also, some churches and NGO around you give student free food monthly. We have them here. Search for them.
For Accommodation: Find a good person to share with. My friend is living with a Chinese and he is enjoying the relationship.A 2-bedroom of 300-400 shared by 2 will be reasonable. But if you are fortunate to see gud naija friends, you can 4 in a room.

America is a long term gain. The gain might not be instant but it will surely come. Some it will be instant.Pls, don't joke with God factor. But, we have a slogan here "America is not one way". Another person here can share his experience and it will be totally different from mine.I mean totally. And pls, information is very important in America.That's why I will still like to meet someone like Chi-Town someday to be more informed. Boss, I dey Macomb.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 5:31am On Sep 21, 2012
kpolli:

Depends on his opportunities at home compared to here. . . .

Having spent some time in both places, to me UK is better. . . . (Note: To me)

Plus if I remember well, ur doing a biological course, and its better here than UK

Sure, I know who leads the science world and that's why my British supervisor failed to base in Britain. Also the reason Nigeria has no any promise for me yet. However, I'm a biochemist.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by mrswagger: 7:17am On Sep 21, 2012
Hello house, pls guys I would like to know if anyone has schools in U.s that give up to 70% finanacial aid and scholarship to students. I intend studying Business management at undergraduate level for fall 2013 resumption. And I want to start putting in my application soon. I intend taking my SAT by November. I did my research and most cheap universities in texas and other cities don't give scholarship and financial aid. I would like to know if anyine has any useful info on this should please share more light. Thanks guys and waiting for your response.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by MrChris1(m): 11:18am On Sep 21, 2012
Chi-town Base:
well i dont know how u guys make research about states and all that..but one thing is anyone interested in coming here should be prepared regardless of the states u go live in there is always expensive places and cheap places so u just have to find out. i stay in Illinois and i pay $300 for rent and $20 for internet and 30 at most for electricity for a one bedroom apartment so u just gotta find out. try to make friends with not just indians alone there are cool black and white americans, and also check organizations around you like church, african student association, ahplha phi, sororities meet people thats the best way to get so many information u need dey will let u kno mehn.....as funding like imperioux always emphasize on mehn thats a great deal. like almost all my firends in grad school are going to school free of charge dey only pay like $800 a semester for student fees tuition is fully funded by the school plus they get stipend monthly like $900 for up keep. so life is what u make it. if u feel u are not enjoying here is becos u have not found a way out. so try and mingle mehn....AMERICA IS FUN FOR THOSE WHO KNO THEIR WAY...NOT ILLEGAL OOO OR SCAM. grin grin grin grin grin
Good Info.

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.