Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,149 members, 7,849,577 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:02 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (75) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (309371 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Theyjih: 11:39pm On Sep 18, 2012
@Dr slip na ur eyez b this? Since march? Chai hope evrything dey make sense ..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 1:10am On Sep 19, 2012
Yankeeboi1: My fellow Nairalanders, I cant explain all I am facing here in the US as a student coz I'm finding it somehow uneasy. First, when I got here this fall I have a problem with my accommodation and where I eventually move to is too far from my school. I have to walk for about 20-30mins to the bus stop before I can get a free shuttle bus to the school. To be candid my pple, I'm not coping in classes coz since we start lectures, the lecturers always talked about one article or the other and also presentations whereby I didnt have a computer with me here I believe in myself to be a good student but it is becoming the other way round in this country and I feel alot depressed anytime we have classes. Is this how I will continue or Is there anybody in the house who has or is in my shoe? I tried to look for job in other to sustain myself but all prove abortive as I was told I have to have a work study before I could get one presently. I even went to the cafetaria yesterday and I was told to file up an application which I dont know when it will be review. Pls I need to know the way out of this b4 it get out of hand. I am just trying to manage the little money with me here. Kindly let me know what to do coz I'm thinking of leaving this school to another state where I get some pple but im afraid of falling out of status. I believe I can transfer but I dont believe I can stay here till next fall or even spring.Any advice pls?

lanrypaddy:

facing almost the same stuff...I will benefit from pples contribution too

Friends, that's how studying in US is. We usually say it here. For me it's always, thesis climbs presentations climb exams climb assignments climb classes climb critiques climb teaching assistance. US education isn't for the weak ooo. Thank God you guys are seeing it too. I called my family over the weekend telling them how I got no time for my life anymore and saying I feel like my studies should finish tomorrow. Anyhow you will survive. There should be a computer room in your department. Use that till you can get any computer. I have a friend that got his computer after the end of first semester. If you got money for dorm, get one and don't get C in your core courses or two Cs at a time. Keep your head up friend, standard of education in Nigeria is the major factor behind this problem. Though America own sef too much.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by AnythinCanHapen: 4:25am On Sep 19, 2012
imperiouxx:

Friends, that's how studying in US is. We usually say it here. For me it's always, thesis climbs presentations climb exams climb assignments climb classes climb critiques climb teaching assistance. US study isn't for the weak ooo. Thank God you guys are seeing it too. I called my family over the weekend telling them how I got no time for my life anymore and saying I feel like my studies should finish tomorrow. Anyhow you will survive. There should be a computer room in your department. Use that till you can get any computer. I have a friend that got his computer after the end of first semester. If you got money for dorm, get one and don't get C in your core courses or two Cs at a time. Keep your head up friend, standard of education in Nigeria is the major factor behind this problem. Though America own sef too much.

Yankeeboi1, why u acting like a woman?If you are a Nigerian,u can survive. Yes you can!
You walk 20-30 mins every day?then u should start jogging and condition your brain that this is an exercise u need everyday to ward off the cold.
As for the presentations, na everywhere e dey.U go do am tire, so please get used to it. I am surprised you did not talk about assignments.
As for computers, that should not be a problem,look around you, computers are everywhere: Library, classes etc make use of those.
If you are having problems with some of your classes, walk up to the prof and explain to him,they understand and are willing to help you.They are not like the prof we have in Nigeria.Trust me,walk up to your teachers and voice out your concerns.
As for the job, you need to make friends,the more people you know,the higher your chances of getting a job.Living expenses and tuition no be small matter for here mehn.Do your best to make good grades this semester and hang around campus,meet people,look for a church, join some campus organizations etc.I am sure if u do all this, a lot of options should open up for u.
In summary, you can choose to be strong or go back to Naija where things are EASY.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by biofem2000: 4:50am On Sep 19, 2012
Yankeeboi1: My fellow Nairalanders, I cant explain all I am facing here in the US as a student coz I'm finding it somehow uneasy. First, when I got here this fall I have a problem with my accommodation and where I eventually move to is too far from my school. I have to walk for about 20-30mins to the bus stop before I can get a free shuttle bus to the school. To be candid my pple, I'm not coping in classes coz since we start lectures, the lecturers always talked about one article or the other and also presentations whereby I didnt have a computer with me here I believe in myself to be a good student but it is becoming the other way round in this country and I feel alot depressed anytime we have classes. Is this how I will continue or Is there anybody in the house who has or is in my shoe? I tried to look for job in other to sustain myself but all prove abortive as I was told I have to have a work study before I could get one presently. I even went to the cafetaria yesterday and I was told to file up an application which I dont know when it will be review. Pls I need to know the way out of this b4 it get out of hand. I am just trying to manage the little money with me here. Kindly let me know what to do coz I'm thinking of leaving this school to another state where I get some pple but im afraid of falling out of status. I believe I can transfer but I dont believe I can stay here till next fall or even spring.Any advice pls?

Yankeeboi1, welcome to the US. I mean this in a good way.
Here is what I will advice; you`ve heard it from others.
1. Disclose your school/ state if you`re comfortable. You may get help here. Good samaritans are everywhere.
2. Talk...talk...talk. Speak out. Make friends with your course mates. You can get help with your studies. You don`t want a "C".
3. Use the computer at the library, computer lab... you can also get a cheap one ($400 or less) from walmart if you still have the money.
4. Check the possibility of moving closer to school or make an exercise out of it like someone said.
5. File that job application at the cafeteria and follow up everyday until they get angry and give you a job.
6. Nobody said it will be easy; please do not fall out of status. If you have not applied to another school by now, you may be stuck there in spring. Make it work.
7. Talk to your advisor about grad assistance and other opportunities.
8. Talk to your international student coordinator about your hardship asap. Its his/her job to ensure you are ok.
9. Don`t get into trouble; don`t do anything illegal; don`t complicate things.
10. You will be fine. You only need to keep your head up.
11. You asked for this, make it work. Be a fighter.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by emmanuelkim: 4:58am On Sep 19, 2012
king1_00: Just Passing by.

Wishing everyone applying for visa come fall success, especially my man deeverick, you shall testify. For those applying to community college or what have you, sincerely i used to think that the school you apply to can decrease your chances of getting a visa but thats a big lie. I know of more than 5 different people that applied to a community college this year and currently in the US. As a matter of fact i was on a flight with one of them he applied to a community college in Vegas. I sincerely do not know the criteria for a visa, but in my own opinion, community college is not what everyone says it is here. I applied to a private school in Ohio that nobody knows not even the VO and i was given my visa. My 2 cents pls complete your DS 190 form in a very professional and coordinated manner, cus thats all they gat on you. I hate to say this but luck also comes into play. A new Nigerian student joined me in my school early this week and trust me when i say this, if this guy could get a visa, all nairaland should also get one.

May the good Lord guide your steps and lead you the the right VO that will issue your visa My 2 cent.

For those currently in the US pls before yo make any serious crucial decision, call your relative in the US or a nairalander. Knowledge is power. I am adjusting very fine so far because i have a brother and a sister down here.

All is well that ends well, the struggle is not over. US is another set of struggle, trust me because the people here are totally different, or maybe its just state, dont know.

Thanks King
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by biofem2000: 5:03am On Sep 19, 2012
valentino81:

@ NLDERS; I'm new on this thread, and I av been trying to go thru post since and sincerely really appreciate the contributions of the gurus in d house.
Pls, I got to know that if someone can pay detail attention here, no need of AGENTS.
I had my HND in accounting in 2009 and finish my NYSC june last year. I want to know what my chance of obtaining student visa and getting addmission for eithr undergraduate or postgraduate and the schools that can be applied to.
And finally, the steps to be taken in securing the addmission and full steps involved.
Thanks God bless, looking forward to ur anticipated co operation.

Your HND is equivalent to a BS for the most part(Well except if WES evaluates it otherwise). Only once have I seen a WES evaluation that said taking a few credit hours with an HND will be equivalent to a BS; again, this is not common.
With that said, evaluate your transcript if the school wasts an evaluated transcript. If not, send it directly to them as instructed; be sure to follow instructions. WES iGPA for a $5 fee will give you an idea if you have not decided what you want to do. You stand the same chance of getting a visa as someone with a B.Sc... well...if you`re going for a MS.
Go for MS. No BS please; like previous posters advised. Steps involved will be stated by the school; you need to do your due diligence. You don`t need an agent if you`re comfortable doing things for yourself.

Good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by biofem2000: 5:09am On Sep 19, 2012
dipson047: Hey pals plz I do need ur help!! An agent want to hlp me get USA student visa & he said I shuld pay d sum of 200k for d admission alone & I will ve 2 balance him 900k after d interview..when I heard all diz 4rm him I went online bymyself 2 check about diff cheap universities & I saw diff tins differs 4rm what d man told me..my question is can I apply by myslf because I ve sponsorer here in Nigeria & a white woman over there whcich I meet on facebook who re willing to foot my bills.

You may want to stay away from the agent. You may not have enough money for your tuition after paying all his fees; especially the 900K.
Stay away from the white woman you met on facebook too. Flee from every appearance of evil.

Good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 6:16am On Sep 19, 2012
@Yankeeboi1,

About your articles, papers and presentations, as an active student i.e paying or have paid school fee, you should have about 250 paper allotment each semester. You might want to check with your school id if you don't know that before now. Print out those articles whenever you visit computer room which one MUST be in your department or library. Also, have the indian guys as friends, they have many seniors(as they say) who have graduated from that school and giving them info about job, housing, life after school, even past questions etc. Still sorry to hear all these, you will survive.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by djunit1(m): 7:19am On Sep 19, 2012
YankeeBoi, eyaaa sorry for your situation ooooh! This is what I have always told everyone! Life here is not like Naija. In Naija you can walk for 30 minutues every day but here I doubt if anyone can survive it. When it rains/shines it is usually extreme. Yankee no easy! People go come here come lie give una about how you can survive on 150 bucks a month! Cost of Gasoline for two weeks is more than 150. When you add rent, food, electricity, water, internet, cable, insurance for both house and car then you go know say cost of living in Naija for a year is what you'd spend in a month here. And to get job Close to impossible. Few of us with jobs are lucky to have these jobs and most times the job does not pay every bill.

Like some people have said, start by telling us the state where you are maybe people can link you with other forum members.

One thing I can tell you is no Friends when it comes to payin bills in yankee. If you like know everyone in your city, no one is goin to take over your responsibilities.

My advice to people preparin to come to Yankee look for a contributor here on this thread who does not Sugar Coat anything. Someone that will tell you the way it is. Relate with that person so you will have an idea of what to face when you get here. I do not agree with Oyewolejos but he sounds like one of the people that will tell you the way it is.

I hate it when someone comes here to deceive everyone by saying "Yankee is the best place to be". I have never told anyone that and I will never tell anyone that because I know many people in Nigeria who are doin very well. I also know a couple of Nigerians who are in India of all places and doin very well.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 9:11am On Sep 19, 2012
[quote author=hariyoh][/quote]
Sent them yesterday.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 9:26am On Sep 19, 2012
lanrypaddy:

facing almost the same stuff...I will benefit from pples contribution too
I feel for you guys. But I want to ask if you didn't have a laptop while in Nigeria? If you did why didn't you travel with it? Despite the academic status of Nigerian universities, almost every student owns a laptop. Compare the situation to US universities where most things academic you do depends on the computer. My advise would be to have your parents, siblings, family member in Nigeria get you a laptop and have it sent across to you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by euroboy: 9:51am On Sep 19, 2012
Hi Guys, i have been a steady reader of nairaland topics, i know am guilty of not commenting. Please i need your advise on this. Am a student in one of the european universities in schengen states. started studying February this year but due to their high increase in tuition fee and no-scholarship method, i intend to quit and apply to one of the universities or colleges in USA, so i need you guys to advise on what are the requirements in doing that. Do you think it will be difficult as the US Embassy in naija? Please i need you all to comment positively. At the moment am on one year resident permit. thanks and more power to nairaland.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by eduson002(m): 11:09am On Sep 19, 2012
@bigfrancis21

Francis,I am yet to receive the materials u claimed to ve sent oo.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by hariyoh: 11:43am On Sep 19, 2012
bigfrancis21:
Sent them yesterday.
bigfrancis21:
Sent them yesterday.
Thanks a million bigfrancis. Cheers
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kennytidistar(m): 1:00pm On Sep 19, 2012
guys pls where and how can i pay for my GMAT and Toefl exam
thanks one love.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 2:39pm On Sep 19, 2012
Chai! I miss a lot of yarns, Justwise don block them all. sad And Djunit, US isn't the same for everyone likewise Nigeria can't be the same for everyone. Ask those that got funding from school if they are facing hard problem. Struggling is all over everywhere but one struggling pay off faster and better than the other. I know that's why you are still hoping for a better day here without thinking of Nigeria and most of us too. One shouldn't expect things to start becoming sweet the first day. No success without prior struggle.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 19, 2012
imperiouxx: Chai! I miss a lot of yarns, Justwise don block them all. sad

Why is that guy behaving that way?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 2:58pm On Sep 19, 2012
ferdiii:

Why is that guy behaving that way?

If it's Justwise you are referring to, he is doing a great job preventing abuse and insult. I'm just unfortunate not to see the comments before deletion.

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.