Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,138 members, 7,860,089 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:41 AM

What Should An African American Guy Do When.... - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Should An African American Guy Do When.... (1107 Views)

Should I Date This Black American Guy Or Leave Him Alone???? / Ladies, Can You Date Or Marry A Black American Guy ? / As A Guy, Do You Like It When Your Girl Calls You "Baby"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by AABaltimore1: 10:14pm On Jul 20, 2012
Greetings Nairaland,

My name is Jerrod. I am an African American male in his mid-thirites who believes he may have met "the one" or his future wife. She is Nigerian(Yoruba). She is a beautiful, wonderful, and intelligent woman. Everything about her is amazing. My only concern is culture. I am almost sure what I am about to say is somewhat cliche, but I am truely curious about what to do in regards to her mom and dad and other siblings(3 sisters and 1 brother). I am a fast learner and just looking for some guidance. What should I do when first meeting them? What should I bring her parents? How do I engage and impress her parents? I just need some starting points and I think I can go from there. Thank you all very much in advance for your time and comments.

Respectfully,

Jerrod
Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by Mynd44: 10:32pm On Jul 20, 2012
You have to realise that to the yorubas, respect is everything, so you might want to ease up on the way you talk and act. Apart from that, just be yourself and you would be cool. They know you ain't nigerian and so, they would not be expecting much from you in the culture aspect but the respect part is important.
You don't have to buy anything really since this is a first time you are meeting them as this is almost calling them beggars.
You will be fine as long as you follow this

3 Likes

Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by delkuf(m): 10:57pm On Jul 20, 2012
190, whts ur problem. This guy gave a very good write up to a needy man and u are insulting him. If u knw u dont have something to say go and sleep
Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by Tedpgrass: 11:39pm On Jul 20, 2012
Jerrod, Mynd said it in a nutshell.

Respect, respect, respect.
Little eye contact with dad.... seen as being disrespectful.
Use of "sir"... pretty much a punctuation mark in every conversation.

Get a summary of their educational achievements.....
Try to similar in your summise regarding self or family.

Nija parents like too much "book"...... educational degrees.
Of course, you have to be able to provide n look after their daughter...
Like a princess.....

Not to worry, you're all good.

Methinks.
Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by LordReed(m): 11:57pm On Jul 20, 2012
One of the easiest "I'm just meeting you for the first time" gift is a bottle of wine. Unless they are ultra-fundamentalist christians or muslims they won't reject it. You could also ask your girl what her siblings like and bring little gifts for them. Believe me it doesn't show them up but kinda says you will be a worthwhile family member if you are given the chance.

And as they are Yoruba they are big on respect and manners so take your A-game in that respect. Don't talk too much and don't crack any expensive jokes.
Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by Rocktation(f): 12:08am On Jul 21, 2012
^^You beat me to it. I was gonna say the same about the wine.
Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by tpia1: 12:13am On Jul 21, 2012
Play it by ear, take it for a test run, see if it can work out, is what i always say.

Yoruba women typically do not date non-yorubas and AAs that much and i think they might or might not find it a bit hard adaptig to the different culture.

So, i'd tell both of you to see how it goes.

It might work out-who can tell, really.

As per what to give her parents- she should let you know what to bring.
Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by Tedpgrass: 12:21am On Jul 21, 2012
Tpia,

I think it's incorrect to state that yoruba chicks don't date outside of their ethnicity.

I would have thought otherwise.

* methinks*

Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by Mynd44: 12:24am On Jul 21, 2012
Tedpgrass: Tpia,

I think it's incorrect to state that yoruba chicks don't date outside of their ethnicity.

I would have thought otherwise.

* methinks*

It is wrong in my opinion. They are actually opened to dating outside their ethnic group
Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by tpia1: 12:28am On Jul 21, 2012
Some do, and with the shortage of available nigerian/yoruba men, more yoruba women are willing to experiment and date outside their ethnic group, but i dont know if the adjustment is that easy.
Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by Mynd44: 12:45am On Jul 21, 2012
Easy or not, there was one
Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by MrsChima(f): 1:18am On Jul 21, 2012
It must be the Yoruba girls from the village cos many Yoruba girls over here are dating Nigerian men that arent Yoruba and their parents are all for it.
Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by tpia1: 4:53am On Jul 21, 2012
yes, its the ones from the village.
Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by tpia1: 4:53am On Jul 21, 2012
Mynd_44: Easy or not, there was one

still wary to tread.
Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by Mynd44: 5:46am On Jul 21, 2012
tpia1:

still wary to tread.

That's your personal thing dude. You don't have to be scaring the OP
Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by tpia1: 1:44pm On Jul 21, 2012
Not trying to scare him, just giving my opinion.
Re: What Should An African American Guy Do When.... by MrsChima(f): 1:59pm On Jul 21, 2012
AA_Baltimore_1: Greetings Nairaland,

My name is Jerrod. I am an African American male in his mid-thirites who believes he may have met "the one" or his future wife. She is Nigerian(Yoruba). She is a beautiful, wonderful, and intelligent woman. Everything about her is amazing. My only concern is culture. I am almost sure what I am about to say is somewhat cliche, but I am truely curious about what to do in regards to her mom and dad and other siblings(3 sisters and 1 brother). I am a fast learner and just looking for some guidance. What should I do when first meeting them? What should I bring her parents? How do I engage and impress her parents? I just need some starting points and I think I can go from there. Thank you all very much in advance for your time and comments.

Respectfully,

Jerrod

It is good that you came to the forum to seek answers to your questions...however you have to understand not everybody share your viewpoints and may pffer suggestions/advices that are opposed to what you are looking for.

The best person to ask about your situation is the very chick that you think "are the one". She knows her parents better than anyone and should be the one prepping you. I think someone already said ask your girl.

I would suggest before meeting the parents is to make sure that you and the girl is on one accord and solid. Most parents know when something isn't solid and will try to dissuade the situation because they do not want their children hurt or in an unstable relationship. I am not saying you guys are unstable.....but it seems though you guys lack essential communication.....learning and knowing each other.

i speak from experience and when I knew my husband....i knew his parents and I was on point when I met his parents. Everything was good and still are. wink

Once you know her...you know her parents.

Good luck.

(1) (Reply)

She Is Confused & Needs Ur Candid Advice / Ladies, Why We Shldnt Let Men Come Between Us. .it Aint Worth It! / Will You Stay In A Relationship With Someone ---

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.