Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,471 members, 7,823,097 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (268) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (894538 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) ... (434) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by captainking(m): 5:46pm On Nov 29, 2020
olaboyeh:
Good day guys.. I'm really tired..my Civic 07 has shown me pepper... My gear oil started leaking from the converter seal..i took it for repair they removed engine and all..only for the my gear to refuse to enter gear 2 afterwards, it kept slipping out of gear when it's about to change to 2.. mechanic says i should buy a new transmission that something something related to the fiber in the gear..this is a car i drove to their workshop o...few days back my fan belt broke...someone came to fix it... afterwards i was driving then noticed temperature is high apparently fans were not working..had to get someone to fix it... after the fixing driving a bit noticed AC is no longer working..and shortly after my alternator went bad..the battery light came on...
Now i noticed gear oil under the car sef.. meaning the leak has started again...is this how honda deals with people or what is the way forward pls who can assist me
Oga.. You should be smart enough to know that your mechanic is your problem.. From your write up... All these issues dint happen till after you took your car to the mechanic
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 8:28pm On Dec 01, 2020
sirleke:
P0420: catalyst system threshold bank 1
catalyst system efficiency below
threshold bank 1

P0506: idle air control system RPM lower than expected....

Got the codes on my car...

Some1 should help out.

Thanks

Catalytic converter and have you tried cleaning your throttle body? I do not recommend using a spacer because while it tricks the computer into turning off the light, over time the catalytic converter is still clogging up and the problem remains. Eventually you will lose power and fuel consumption will go up. Better to ride it like that without using the spacer IMO. It's a lot easier and cheaper to take the bulb out if the light is worrying you grin
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Googlemechanic: 8:39pm On Dec 01, 2020
radautoworks:

Catalytic converter and have you tried cleaning your throttle body? I do not recommend using a spacer because while it tricks the computer into turning off the light, over time the catalytic converter is still clogging up and the problem remains. Eventually you will lose power and fuel consumption will go up. Better to ride it like that without using the spacer IMO. It's a lot easier and cheaper to take the bulb out is the light of worrying you grin

Clearing out the contents of the catalytic converter and installing a spacer is a cheaper option .

Current cost of a brand new catalytic converter for this vehicle at current dollar rate will exceed ₦200,000.

Taking out the bulb is irresponsible.

3 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 8:53pm On Dec 01, 2020
Googlemechanic:

Clearing out the contents of the catalytic converter and installing a spacer is a cheaper option .

Current cost of a brand new catalytic converter for this vehicle at current dollar rate will exceed ₦200,000.

Taking out the bulb is irresponsible.

Did I say it was responsible? grin

Thank you "Googlemechanic" for adding a previously missing caveat but problem still remains like welding a straight pipe grin

My point is simply to drive like that while saving money for a replacement. There is no benefit to the spacer except turning the CEL off.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Googlemechanic: 9:21pm On Dec 01, 2020
radautoworks:

Thank you "Googlemechanic" for adding a previously missing caveat but problem still remains like welding a straight pipe grin

My point is simply to drive like that while saving money for a replacement. There is no benefit to the spacer except turning the CEL off.

The advantage of not having the cell on in the first place is you know there are no pending issues.

With the cell permanently on how do you know when another issue pops up?

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by sirleke(m): 9:28pm On Dec 01, 2020
I am following.

Thanks to all that have contributed so far.

Gazzuzz

Radautos

Googlemechanic

We r heading somwhr ....car is fucking getting sluggish now
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 9:35pm On Dec 01, 2020
Googlemechanic:

The advantage of not having the cell on in the first place is you know there are no pending issues.

I think we all know this, which is why we do not recommend blacking out CEL lights. The tongue in cheek response given to our dear gentleman sirleke is with the knowledge he has a scanner and can read his codes regularly to see if any new codes pop up while he saves for a new cat. It makes NO financial sense for him to buy a spacer simply to clear a code (which by the way is not guaranteed with a spacer in all cars) cool

Also, the spacer is marketed on NL as a CURE for catalytic converter problems, which it isn't. It was created to literally be an "out of sight out of mind" tool to pass state emissions tests. NL users will not know that until the situation becomes really bad and the car develops major issues. IT DOES NOT CURE CATALYTIC CONVERTER PROBLEMS. You still have to save towards buying a replacement cat.

So why spend the money when you can achieve the same by simply continuing to drive?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 9:36pm On Dec 01, 2020
sirleke:
I am following.

Thanks to all that have contributed so far.

Gazzuzz

Radautos

Googlemechanic

We r heading somwhr ....car is fucking getting sluggish now

Then the spacer will not help you period. Clean your throttle body then wait and see if idle control code goes away.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:45pm On Dec 01, 2020
sirleke:
P0420: catalyst system threshold bank 1
catalyst system efficiency below
threshold bank 1

P0506: idle air control system RPM lower than expected....

Got the codes on my car...

Some1 should help out.

Thanks

You have no catalytic converter .
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:52pm On Dec 01, 2020
radautoworks:

And there's no benefit to having the cats apart from emissions.

radautoworks:

I think we all know this, which is why we do not recommend blacking out CEL lights. The tongue in cheek response given to our dear gentleman sirleke is with the knowledge he has a scanner and can read his codes regularly to see if any new codes pop up while he saves for a new cat. It makes NO financial sense for him to buy a spacer simply to clear a code (which by the way is not guaranteed with a spacer in all cars) cool

Also, the spacer is marketed on NL as a CURE for catalytic converter problems, which it isn't. It was created to literally be an "out of sight out of mind" tool to pass state emissions tests. NL users will not know that until the situation becomes really bad and the car develops major issues. IT DOES NOT CURE CATALYTIC CONVERTER PROBLEMS. You still have to save towards buying a replacement cat.

So why spend the money when you can achieve the same by simply continuing to drive?

Tell me all about the CATALYTIC CONVERTER PROBLEMS.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by sirleke(m): 10:00pm On Dec 01, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

You have no catalytic converter .
thanks for your response sir:. My Kaz confirmed just last week that I still have it intact....gonna double check/confirm/sure by this weekend again
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by sirleke(m): 10:01pm On Dec 01, 2020
radautoworks:

Then the spacer will not help you period. Clean your throttle body then wait and see if idle control code goes away.
I m actually gonna replace the *throttle body* ma'am....my rewire blocked a part with he called *slow* n removed a hose,claiming the slow is knocked
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:06pm On Dec 01, 2020
sirleke:
thanks for your response sir:. My Kaz confirmed just last week that I still have it intact....gonna double check/confirm/sure by this weekend again

Stop this remote diagnosis and go and confirm things your self. Post pics too.

The system says otherwise P0420.

If it is present check if it is blocked. If it is blocked remove it.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 1:02am On Dec 02, 2020
sirleke:
I m actually gonna replace the *throttle body* ma'am....my rewire blocked a part with he called *slow* n removed a hose,claiming the slow is knocked
naija life. Okay. I think you emailed me? This is faster.

https://www.nairaland.com/post/92790045
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 1:03am On Dec 02, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I've covered it many times on NL before na. You guys just refuse to gree grin

Oya, see the last time

https://www.nairaland.com/1788778/maintenance-tips-cars/244#96038721
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 1:58am On Dec 02, 2020
Googlemechanic:

Got a couple of quick questions for you "Googlemechanic" if you'll indulge me.

1) how come your moniker was registered in September 2019 right after a little fracas I, amdman and a certain someone had?
2) why do you have such an interest in amdman and myself. Seems to be only on our issues you post wink

Inside things grin

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by TemmyDayo50(m): 8:10am On Dec 02, 2020
Good Morning to us all! Please I use an Honda accord 2007 with v6 engine. A spanner like indicator showed up on the dashboard with 15% oil life. I serviced the engine last just about 2 weeks ago and I'm sure I haven't even covered 100miles on it.

Could it be the indicator just needs a reset or the oil really needs to be changed again?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Namzy(m): 8:28am On Dec 02, 2020
TemmyDayo50:
Good Morning to us all! Please I use an Honda accord 2007 with v6 engine. A spanner like indicator showed up on the dashboard with 15% oil life. I serviced the engine last just about 2 weeks ago and I'm sure I haven't even covered 100miles on it.

Could it be the indicator just needs a reset or the oil really needs to be changed again?
Reset

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by temi4fash(m): 10:08am On Dec 02, 2020
Hello House,
I use the Honda 5W 30 for my car(Honda City 2007 and am at 2700 miles the oil is already very black, Does the colour of the oil affect the performance of the oil?

The engine oil is recommended to be used for up to 5000 miles?

cc: kingsreign, luvinhubby, radautoworks,
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Googlemechanic: 10:29am On Dec 02, 2020
radautoworks:

Got a couple of quick questions for you "Googlemechanic" if you'll indulge me.

1) how come your moniker was registered in September 2019 right after a little fracas I, amdman and a certain someone had?
2) why do you have such an interest in amdman and myself. Seems to be only on our issues you post wink

Inside things grin

Focus on the issues and stop derailing .

Back to catalytic converters.

Another reason why the spacers are important is because in a lot of vehicles a lot of safety features are disabled when the check engine light comes on e.g anti skid .

Leaving the check engine light on in a lot of vehicles is not only irresponsible, but unsafe.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Googlemechanic: 10:30am On Dec 02, 2020
temi4fash:
Hello House,
I use the Honda 5W 30 for my car(Honda City 2007 and am at 2700 miles the oil is already very black, Does the colour of the oil affect the performance of the oil?

The engine oil is recommended to be used for up to 5000 miles?

cc: kingsreign, luvinhubby, radautoworks,

What were you using before now

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Googlemechanic: 10:31am On Dec 02, 2020
TemmyDayo50:

Watch video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbW7SWvYoyE

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Googlemechanic: 10:32am On Dec 02, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Apart from keeping the environment clean, has no advantages to the engine. Actually reduces engine performance by restricting exhaust flow.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by temi4fash(m): 10:51am On Dec 02, 2020
Googlemechanic:

What were you using before now

Honda Oil 5W 30
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:28pm On Dec 02, 2020
Googlemechanic:

Apart from keeping the environment clean, has no advantages to the engine. Actually reduces engine performance by restricting exhaust flow.

Exactly. I'm not sure what she's on about.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:29pm On Dec 02, 2020
radautoworks:

I've covered it many times on NL before na. You guys just refuse to gree grin

Oya, see the last time

https://www.nairaland.com/1788778/maintenance-tips-cars/244#96038721

We're talking about removing your cats and bypassing with a spacer, not having clogged cats. Surely you know that there's a difference?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by iclass1: 3:20pm On Dec 02, 2020
Good afternoon house, please I need help...my car has been giving me headache since last week, someone asked me to tell my mechanic to help me tighten my car's tapeting, which I did...afterwards anytime I start d engine and engage the gear, the engine goes off...plssss anyone with such experience
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 4:36pm On Dec 02, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

We're talking about removing your cats and bypassing with a spacer, not having clogged cats. Surely you know that there's a difference? Udonminit shocked

That wasn't part of the original advice and even if you do that fuel consumption is still going to go up but whatever you say you are right smiley

https://www.nairaland.com/996664/maintenance-tips-honda-cars/267#96634656
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by ahmstrng(m): 4:38pm On Dec 02, 2020
TemmyDayo50:

Google how to reset accord oil health

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by radautoworks: 4:48pm On Dec 02, 2020
Googlemechanic:

Focus on the issues and stop derailing .

Back to catalytic converters.

Another reason why the spacers are important is because in a lot of vehicles a lot of safety features are disabled when the check engine light comes on e.g anti skid .

Leaving the check engine light on in a lot of vehicles is not only irresponsible, but unsafe.

Surely you can handle two things at the same time smiley

As far as your statement, does it apply to the vehicle in question?

Still waiting a reply on the above questions as well. If you're versed in Google you can handle two different topics at once wink
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:49pm On Dec 02, 2020
iclass1:
Good afternoon house, please I need help...my car has been giving me headache since last week, someone asked me to tell my mechanic to help me tighten my car's tapeting, which I did...afterwards anytime I start d engine and engage the gear, the engine goes off...plssss anyone with such experience

Valve clearance too tight , loss in engine compression. Take it back for readjustment.

(1) (2) (3) ... (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) ... (434) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.