Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,864 members, 7,824,594 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July (34969 Views)

Ghana Vs Egypt - World Cup Qualifier: (6 - 1) On Tuesday 15 October 2013 / Azerbaijan Vs Nigeria (0 - 11): U-17 Women's World Cup On Tuesday Sept-25-2012 / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by semid4lyfe(m): 4:25am On Jul 29, 2012

NIGERIA

Roster: G Tony Skinn, F Ekene Ibekwe, F Ike Diogu, F Al-Farouq Aminu, G Ade Dagunduro, G Chamberlain Oguchi, F Koko Archibong, G Richard Oruche, F Ejike Ugboaja, F Derrick Obasohan, C Alade Aminu, C Olumide Oyedeji

Coach: Ayo Bakare. He coaches the Ebun Comets in Nigeria's pro league. He also coached Nigeria's national team in the mid-1990s and early-2000s before Nigeria used to American coaches (Sam Vincent and Robert McCullum).

Qualification: Finished third by beating the Dominican Republic at Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Venezuela in July.

Best Olympic finish: First Olympics

Players you know: F Al-Farouq Aminu, who played college ball at Wake Forest, averaged six points and 4.7 rebounds for the New Orleans Hornets last season. … PG Tony Skinn played on the George Mason team that reached the Final Four in 2006. Skinn, who has spent his professional career in France, Italy and Germany, averaged 10 points and 2.8 assists in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament. … F Ike Diogu, who played at Arizona State and averaged six points for six teams in six NBA seasons, averaged 16.8 points and 10.8 rebounds in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament. … F Alade Aminu, Al-Farqouq's brother, played at Georgia Tech and has spent last season playing in France. F Ekene Ibekwe played at Maryland.

Expert Analysis: The key with Nigeria and the reason they had success in the Qualifying Tournament is that they play very, very hard and with passion and energy on defense. Diogu is an NBA-level player. Al-Farouq Aminu is certainly an NBA player. They're not going to medal, but they played their win in on the basis of toughness and team chemistry. The Nigerian players I've been around have a fierceness about them. They just play very confidently. They're very quick to the ball. They get all those 50-50 balls. They play very loose. Diogu has done a nice job down low. Their guard play has been good. They're a fun team to watch because of the way they attack and they play very free.

LITHUANIA

Roster: G Rimantas Kaukenas, G Mantas Kalnietis, F Jonas Maciulis, G Martynas Pocius, F Darius Songaila, F Linas Kleiza, F Paulius Jankunas, G Sarunas Jasikevicius, F Simas Jasaitis, C Jonas Valanciunas, C Antanas Kavaliauskas, G Renaldas Seibutis

Coach: Kestutis Kemzura. He played professionally in Lithuania, and after his playing career, he coached in Turkey, Lithuania, Russia and Italy. He was Latvia's national coach before taking Lithuania national team job in 2009.

Qualification: Advanced to finals of Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Venezuela in July.

Best Olympic finish: Bronze in 1992, 1996, 2000

Players you know:Toronto Raptors forward Linas Kleiza (Missouri) averaged 19 points and seven rebounds in the 2010 world championship but a knee injury kept him out of the 2011 European championship in Lithuania. … Guard Sarunas Jasikevicius (Maryland) averaged 9.5 points and 4.6 assists in 2011 European championship and forward Darius Songaila (Wake Forest) averaged 8.4 points and three rebounds in the 2011 European championship.

Expert Analysis: They're coming off a downer. They hosted the European Championship a year ago and ended up finishing a disappointing fifth. There's redemption involved for them. Their team right now has a bunch of solid European level players but for them to have a chance to medal, it has to be about Linas Kleiza. He's healthy. He's capable of being a scoring threat for them. Kleiza is Lithuania's Andrei Kirilenko (of Russia). A little different style obviously, but Kleiza was one of the top players in the world championships. They had a great run to semifinals and they won the bronze. Kleiza was hurt last year, now he's back. He's healthy. He's a proven NBA talent . … It will be a great sneak peek at Valanciunas who was taken fifth in the 2011 NBA Draft and likely would have been the second player taken in this year's draft behind Anthony Davis. He is a pure low-post center with the requisite nastiness to make a quick adjustment to the NBA despite his age."

SOURCE

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by ortopazz(m): 8:47am On Jul 29, 2012
Not really much of a basketball freak though, but hey my coun3ri is playing guesr that will make me one now so long as we will last there, watched their highlights, i'l say it was interesting, the skinn guy, diogu, all of em xceptional, wish them luck, wish I cud watch it.
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by ortopazz(m): 8:52am On Jul 29, 2012
Ayo BAKARE has said they are going to be shockerz, hope they kill otherz. I doubt if this is going to be their only victory, God willing Naija has a thing for nt really messing thangs up at thz stage, imagine falcons coming we wont be thrashed the same way this boozarz in S.A and Cameroon have been now!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by hollandis(f): 9:02am On Jul 29, 2012
Who said this is their first Olympic berth ,get your facts right.They defeated almighty Greece ,the 4th seeded team in the world ,enroute the Olympics.The tigers are strong contenders
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by ortopazz(m): 11:36am On Jul 29, 2012
ma thz is our first olympic shot, as hard as it sounds, it is true.

Great thumbs up 4 the analysis.
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by birdman(m): 11:27pm On Jul 29, 2012
Last time they played, Lithuania was had just played the previous day and lost their legs as game wore on. It'll be interesting if we beat them again -
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 30, 2012
Lithuania is going to destroy Nigeria

Ayo Team Australia Women's Basketball Coach is the Ugliest White Biitch I have Ever Seen in my Entire Fhhucking Life

Ugliest White Biitch to Ever Breath Oxygen on Earth. Tv Announcers kept calling that biitch a Man
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by morpheus24: 8:04pm On Jul 30, 2012
~Royal~:
Lithuania is going to destroy Nigeria

Ayo Team Australia Women's Basketball Coach is the Ugliest White Biitch I have Ever Seen in my Entire Fhhucking Life

Ugliest White Biitch to Ever Breath Oxygen on Earth. Tv Announcers kept calling that biitch a Man

Oh you still mad we beat Puerto rico. sob sob. Maybe next time.
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 30, 2012
morpheus24:

Oh you still mad we beat Puerto rico. sob sob. Maybe next time.

Hahahahahh lmfaooo Fhuck Puerto Rico.
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 30, 2012
Naija should beat them.
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by Ejine(m): 8:57pm On Jul 30, 2012
Bia, we have an "Al Farouq Aminu" in our squad? shocked shocked

Well, let's just hope he won't be busy collecting bribes before he can perform.

Lithuania... This is the first time I'm ever hearing of such a place.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by BabaOlowo: 9:18pm On Jul 30, 2012
Where is Peter Nelson?
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by Siga: 9:20pm On Jul 30, 2012
Ejiné: Bia, we have an "Al Farouq Aminu" in our squad? shocked shocked

You need some serious Geography lessons if u've never heard of Lithuania before....

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by donigspain(m): 9:23pm On Jul 30, 2012
@TOPIC
I've got no doubt of our winning tomorrow's game but I think the TIGERS should up their 3 pointer game. It's quite shameful seeing olympians having their 3 pointers bounce off the basket.
@OFF TOPIC
Am really pissed over some of the decisions of the boxing judges as it relates black African boxers. For instance, both the Ghanaian and Botswana boxers did great and even the commentators confirmed it but I was shocked to see the judges rule otherwise. Even the commentator openly criticized the results saying that he TOTALLY disagree with the judgement.
PS: That Nigerian left-handed boxer (Lawan) should gently return back home and save us from further embarrassment. Who even taught him that 'oshodi-ojoelegba' style of boxing? His right hand is as good as a POLIO ridden hand (no sarcasm meant pls).
My lady said he must be a product of FEDERAL CHARACTER.
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by Mrchippychappy(m): 9:24pm On Jul 30, 2012
What time would the game be played ?
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by logica(m): 9:30pm On Jul 30, 2012
Ejiné: Lithuania... This is the first time I'm ever hearing of such a place.
Except you are joking; this revelation shouldn't have been public.
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by Siga: 9:34pm On Jul 30, 2012
logica: Except you are joking; this revelation shouldn't have been public.

No mind the guy....hin no know say na there GEJ ancestors came from....
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by semid4lyfe(m): 9:34pm On Jul 30, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:
What time would the game be played ?

2.30pm Nigerian Time
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by riket(f): 9:36pm On Jul 30, 2012
O.P,thanks for your game analysis.I actually believe this is a game we have to win and we can definitely steal.Yes,the guys will be playing with some level of confidence mainly because they played lithuania about a month ago and we had a comeback win but that shud not make us so relax cos lithuania lost to france and they also still have that venezuela's loss in their mind.
As per the guys,they need to keep keep up their intensity on defense and the boards which so far as being impressive and on the offensive end,we need to knock those threes down and be near perfect on the free throw line,these two was what brought on to london.The guys needs to communicate well so they can defend screen plays well and they need to be able to make offensive plays in the halfcourt and also be able to create their own shots.
I am no coach but just a diehard bball fan and i can trust the guys will have watch films,note stuffs to be corrected and their passion and intensity play will make them hopefully scale thru.
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by logica(m): 9:45pm On Jul 30, 2012
donigspain:
Am really pissed over some of the decisions of the boxing judges as it relates black African boxers. For instance, both the Ghanaian and Botswana boxers did great and even the commentators confirmed it but I was shocked to see the judges rule otherwise. Even the commentator openly criticized the results saying that he TOTALLY disagree with the judgement.
Off topic, but that has been normal since The Great Olympic Robbery. If you never heard about that, go find out about it (I think it was Peter Konyegwachie that was robbed in favor of an American).
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by DammyFx: 10:03pm On Jul 30, 2012
this not their first Olympic berth, they defeated almighty Greece ,the 4th seeded team in the world ,enroute the Olympics.The tigers are strong contenders
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by Koikoi(m): 10:16pm On Jul 30, 2012
missed the game! Pls, what was the scoreline?
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by Tropilo(m): 10:26pm On Jul 30, 2012
Ejiné: Bia, we have an "Al Farouq Aminu" in our squad? shocked shocked

Lithuania has already won a gold medal in swimming.
It will take a miracle for us to beat Lithuania in basketball. I pray for the miracle to happen, sha!
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by DisGuy: 10:39pm On Jul 30, 2012
Koikoi: missed the game! Pls, what was the scoreline?

they've not played it yet, it's tomorrow Nigerian time 2.30pm
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by Koikoi(m): 10:44pm On Jul 30, 2012
Dis Guy:

they've not played it yet, it's tomorrow Nigerian time 2.30pm

Thanks
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by logica(m): 10:50pm On Jul 30, 2012
Koikoi: missed the game! Pls, what was the scoreline?
No you didn't. Check the date again.
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by ferhyntorlah(f): 10:55pm On Jul 30, 2012
Ejiné:

Wow! That is all I can say. I'm sure you've never heard of Cook Island, Christmas Island, Easter Island, Tonga, Kiribati, Nauru, Vanuatu, Fiji, Mongolia, Maldives and the list goes on.
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by WarriorX1: 11:25pm On Jul 30, 2012
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by lepasharon(f): 11:38pm On Jul 30, 2012
when are they playing?
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by Ejine(m): 12:02am On Jul 31, 2012
ferhyntorlah:

Wow! That is all I can say. I'm sure you've never heard of Cook Island, Christmas Island, Easter Island, Tonga, Kiribati, Nauru, Vanuatu, Fiji, Mongolia, Maldives and the list goes on.

I swear! Nairalanders can be very dull humorless characters sha! If it isn't a poster asking about prize of garri, it's about another one giving me a rundown on places because he's unable to tell when a poster's joking grin

Oga, please, before you get ahead of yourself giving nursery education on things we already know --- You misunderstood my post.

Lithuania I know very well from my books on the Nazi era and the rest, so I don't know who this rundown of yours is for.

What I meant was that in a game of this particular nature, this is the first time I'm hearing of them.
Kinda like saying in a game of football, I barely hear of countries like India. I guess I should've typed an essay in my previous post bah?

So wetin be the meaning of this pointless rundown wey you dey give me?

Nairalanders should atleast trying fetching themselves a sense of humor undecided
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by Dotman01(m): 12:10am On Jul 31, 2012
@lepasharon
semid4lyfe:

2.30pm Nigerian Time
Re: Nigeria Vs Lithuania Olympics Basketball 2012 ( 53 - 72) On Tuesday 31st July by Nobody: 12:34am On Jul 31, 2012
Ejiné:
What I meant was that in a game of this particular nature, this is the first time I'm hearing of them.
Kinda like saying in a game of football, I barely hear of countries like India.
Did u just start watching B'ball last week
I still dnt understand why u havnt heard of the World number five team in B'ball. They are one of the Powerhouses in basketball. Perhaps u shld relate them with Germany instead of India

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Photo:: Woman Who Defrauded Osaze Odemwingie, Others Of £130,000 Gets Jailed / Arsenal Will Sign 'better Player' If Aubameyang Completes Transfer To Man Utd / Wilfred Ndidi Shows Off His Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.