Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,543 members, 7,819,930 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

“my ‘SAN’ Rank Will Be Deployed To The Struggle For The Liberation Of Nigeria” – - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / “my ‘SAN’ Rank Will Be Deployed To The Struggle For The Liberation Of Nigeria” – (657 Views)

Struggle For Fuel At Olupese Petrol Station Oshodi, Lagos (photos) / 50 Heavily Armed Soldiers Deployed To Nyesom Wike‘s Residence / Nigerian Journalists Struggle For Fried Chicken At Inec Office (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

“my ‘SAN’ Rank Will Be Deployed To The Struggle For The Liberation Of Nigeria” – by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 29, 2012

By 'Segun O'Law
Human Rights Advocate and one of Nigeria’s most prominent constitutional lawyers, Femi Falana, who recently rose to the respected legal rank of Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), has vowed that his new status in the Nigerian legal system will be deployed towards his personal contribution to the collective struggle for the liberation of Nigeria from the hands of the incompetent rulers who taken her hostage.

Mr. Falana made the remark in Lagos yesterday in an interview in the maiden edition of an upcoming online broadcast programme, “Why Are We Here, Nigeria?”

The series, anchored by Citizen Journalist, Segun O’Law, features high profile Nigerians and seeks solutions to the drift of the nation.

Responding to a question as to whether the Nigerian legal system is not at the heart of the rot and overt indiscipline, aiding and abetting criminals instead of exposing them and bringing them to book, he described the judiciary as a manifestation of the failed State that Nigeria is.”

“The judiciary does not operate in a vacuum; it is only responding to the system that has virtually collapsed,” he said.

He described Nigeria as a neo-colonial capitalist economy that places the interest of capitalists above those of the public. “The legal system is a manifestation of the socio-economic system that we operate,” he explained. “We run a neo-colonial capitalist economy, which now is totally based on market fundamentalism. The State is being made to withdraw completely from the affairs of our country”.

He underlined that under a laissez faire economic system, anything goes, and that the public interest must give way to private interest. “In the rat race for money making, ethics, national values, national moralities are all sacrificed for profitability,” he said.

Mr. Falana expressed his displeasure over the fact that Nigeria, despite being the sixth oil-producing nation in OPEC, is listed as the only oil producing Nation that imports oil, alongside the least valued items in any market, such as toothpicks. “This shows you that the country is managed by incompetent, myopic and completely parasitic people, who have no commitment to the development of the country.”

He, however, expressed confidence in the ability of the people to effect the desperately-needed change in the country, recalling last January’s subsidy removal nationwide protests.

Asked by O’Law why UK lawyers avoided Ibori, with only one of them ending up in jail along with the former governor, and why such discipline is absent in Nigeria, where lawyers fall upon one another and connive with judges to free hardened criminals, Falana said things were changing. In that regard, he pointed to the springing up of a group of lawyers who are forming an organization called “The Rule of Law Group’, which will challenge corrupt practices of other legal practitioners that conspire and connive to compromise the sanctity of the Nigerian legal system.

Mr. Falana cited instances where senior lawyers obtain interim or perpetual restraining orders from the courts to stop the anti-graft agencies and the police from investigating indicted persons, stressing that that is not part of Nigerian law, and would be fought by the group.

He said the group would also combat the delay tactics being employed by corrupt lawyers to frustrate prosecuting teams and subsequently cause cases to wear out in court.

Turning to the ongoing trial of the oil subsidy fraud suspects, he expressed the view that it will be successful, unlike other cases in the past that fizzled out, but he called on Nigerians to be vigilant, just a they were in January during the protests.

He told O’Law: “Nigerians must [stay] involved. We must not leave the trial in the hands of the Government alone. Citizens must remain vigilant like they did in January to see this to a logical conclusion.”

Mr. Falana stressed that it is not about whether the judicial system can be trusted. “It is about the commitment of the Nigerian people to ensure that Justice is done this time around,” he said.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/%E2%80%9Cmy-%E2%80%98san%E2%80%99-rank-will-be-deployed-struggle-liberation-nigeria%E2%80%9D-%E2%80%93-femi-falana
Re: “my ‘SAN’ Rank Will Be Deployed To The Struggle For The Liberation Of Nigeria” – by Ufeolorun(m): 10:34am On Jul 29, 2012
Njáe báámi wee se wan.ọ̀ní uyí
Re: “my ‘SAN’ Rank Will Be Deployed To The Struggle For The Liberation Of Nigeria” – by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jul 29, 2012
Ufeolorun: Njáe báámi wee se wan.ọ̀ní uyí
Meaning?
Re: “my ‘SAN’ Rank Will Be Deployed To The Struggle For The Liberation Of Nigeria” – by floriana(m): 7:23pm On Jul 29, 2012
SAN is a title not a weapon. You don't need SAN to liberate anybody.
Re: “my ‘SAN’ Rank Will Be Deployed To The Struggle For The Liberation Of Nigeria” – by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 29, 2012
floriana: SAN is a title not a weapon. You don't need SAN to liberate anybody.
I guess that's not correct.
Some SAN's use their statuses (because the status is recognized and carries weight) to prevail on courts to issue orders to anti-graft agencies preventing them from investigating some corrupt persons, e.g., Senior lawyers did in the case of Bukola Saraki and connived, prevailed in that of Ibori prior to his fateful UK ordeal.

If senior lawyers do that, using their statuses to overwhelm junior lawyers in the bar, I then suppose the 'rank' or 'status' of SAN is more of 'weapon' in Nigeria than of 'title'.

Besides, Falana did not say in that interview that he would 'liberate', instead, he said his status would be deployed into the 'struggle' for the liberation of Nigeria. -Language.
Re: “my ‘SAN’ Rank Will Be Deployed To The Struggle For The Liberation Of Nigeria” – by floriana(m): 12:30pm On Jul 31, 2012
In spite of the preachments, I insist Falana does not need SAN to fight for the people. He has always done that even as a 'Non-SAN'

(1) (Reply)

President Mills’s Last Letter To Rawlings / Boko Haram: Atiku Dissociates Self From Facebook Statement / The Other Side Of Tokyo's Nigerian Community

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.