Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,833 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! - Car Talk (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! (386062 Views)

Peugeot Cars Ownership: The Misleading Idea: Location, Cost Of Parts, Etc. / Are There No Auto Peugeot Cars? / American Spec Cars With HEADLAMPS Always On. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 6:38am On Jun 20, 2013
Exc@libur:
To all the lion fans in the house;
I bought a naija used 2000 model 406 coupe v6(190bhp) automatic from a car dealer some weeks back knowing that it had an auto fault. Big mistake. The auto tranny failed completely and I've had to spend 130k getting a new gearbox.
My advice is this: If y°u are considering to buy a 406, better look for a manual gear and save urself the trouble of a gearbox failure.

A lot has been said on this Forum about the inherent problems associated with the auto tranny of the 406 and the Gurus have always maintained the auto tranny be avoided especially when the mileage is above 100,000km.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Exclibur(m): 6:45am On Jun 20, 2013
wisesystem:

A lot has been said on this Forum about the inherent problems associated with the auto tranny of the 406 and the Gurus have always maintained the auto tranny be avoided especially when the mileage is above 100,000km.

I totally agree with y°u. Next time it fails, I'l change the auto to a manual gearbox
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by samoy(m): 7:13am On Jun 20, 2013
Hı ıkenna and others, pls can ı use Total 7000 for my lıon wıth EW10 engıne? If not, whıch one ıs the best? Waıtıng for ur quıck response.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:20am On Jun 20, 2013
samoy: Hı ıkenna and others, pls can ı use Total 7000 for my lıon wıth EW10 engıne? If not, whıch one ıs the best? Waıtıng for ur quıck response.

Yes, Quartz 7000 15W-50 is one of the recommended oil for your engine. Even in ASD Motors, a peugeot dealership here in Abuja, it was pasted in their show room that Quartz 7000 is the oil they use.

Note that we have another TOTAL 15W-50 oil grade meant for trucks/SUVs. On the container, its written Quartz 4x4, 15W-50.

Good morning all.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by samoy(m): 7:59am On Jun 20, 2013
Thanks ıkenna for ur quıck response. Pls, help me run d VIN of my lıon. The VIN no- VF38BRFN281676188. Thanks
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by abdulkadir(m): 8:24am On Jun 20, 2013
Exc@libur:

I totally agree with y°u. Next time it fails, I'l change the auto to a manual gearbox

you still retained d auto tranny? I thot you changed it to a manual.
by the way i still havent gotten back to the house on the contact of d guy dat fixes auto trannys. Would do that ASAP
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 11:05am On Jun 20, 2013
samoy: Thanks ıkenna for ur quıck response. Pls, help me run d VIN of my lıon. The VIN no- VF38BRFN281676188. Thanks

The VIN above you provided is unknown to the database. Check if you got it right.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tdie: 11:30am On Jun 20, 2013
Exc@libur:
To all the lion fans in the house;
I bought a naija used 2000 model 406 coupe v6(190bhp) automatic from a car dealer some weeks back knowing that it had an auto fault. Big mistake. The auto tranny failed completely and I've had to spend 130k getting a new gearbox.
My advice is this: If you are considering to buy a 406, better look for a manual gear and save urself the trouble of a gearbox failure.
While Peugeot Automatic gearboxes are not exactly the best in terms of reliability, it should also be noted that these gearboxes have very specific fluids to be used in them.
In my experience as a lion owner, I found out that even though we have a good peugeot presence in Nigeria, some parts are still not available. I personally have used a peugeot 307 with the "dreaded" AL4 Automatic tranny-first thing I did when I got her was a transmission oil change using the original Mobil LT 71141 fluid which had to be sourced from the UK as it was not available even in PAN Kaduna (I called them and contacted them via email). Up till now, my gearbox has been flawless (and I do a lot of long distance journeys).
I am not saying you should buy an Automatic 406, neither am I comparing Auto trans to manual, but IF you do buy an Automatic Lion, please source for the original tranmission fluid
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 3:11pm On Jun 20, 2013
Ikenna351:

The VIN above you provided is unknown to the database. Check if you got it right.

Ikenna

Mod please dont forget to check the cost of a brand new O2sensor anytime you drive by ASD Motors. Thanks in advance!!1
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 4:03pm On Jun 20, 2013
wisesystem:

Mod please dont forget to check the cost of a brand new O2sensor anytime you drive by ASD Motors. Thanks in advance!!1

I just called an ASD motors staff that works in their parts store. I gave him the part number (1628 KN). He said they have 1628 oxygen sensor, but dont understand what i mean by "KN". Well, i told him the engine is EW7. He said since its not PAN production, that he would like to check the VIN and be sure of the part number.

Anyway, he did say the price of 1628 is 32k. Hehehe! But lets hope their 1628 KN will be cheaper, if they have it, that is, if its not the same 1628 he said they have.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tdie: 5:01pm On Jun 20, 2013
Ikenna351:

I just called an ASD motors staff that works in their parts store. I gave him the part number (1628 KN). He said they have 1628 oxygen sensor, but dont understand what i mean by "KN". Well, i told him the engine is EW7. He said since its not PAN production, that he would like to check the VIN and be sure of the part number.

Anyway, he did say the price of 1628 is 32k. Hehehe! But lets hope their 1628 KN will be cheaper, if they have it, that is, if its not the same 1628 he said they have.

Ikenna.

Direct match for the 1628 KN in the UK is about 71 Pounds... roughly 19k. Its a direct match for your O2 sensor. If you can get someone to get it for you from the Uk, you'd be able to save a lot of money and be assured of quality as well.

See link; http://www.lambdapower.co.uk/partsearch/az2.asp?IDlist=LC-8148
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 5:34pm On Jun 20, 2013
Ikenna351:

Ikenna.

32K!!!! . Hmmm! Make I cry abi make I laugh? PLEASE any body in the house who has ever changed an O2SENSOR before? ASD Motors no go kill person...

Well thanks Mod for the info I truly appreciate. However I want to believe that the EW7 AND EW10 engines should at least share similiralities, this talk of my part number not being PAN is scary what do you think?. Mod, I am not giving up oh! I must get me a sensor for my lion... Mod please if he gets back to you I ll be happy to hear the next 'price earthquake'
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 5:44pm On Jun 20, 2013
t-die:

Direct match for the 1628 KN in the UK is about 71 Pounds... roughly 19k. Its a direct match for your O2 sensor. If you can get someone to get it for you from the Uk, you'd be able to save a lot of money and be assured of quality as well.

See link; http://www.lambdapower.co.uk/partsearch/az2.asp?IDlist=LC-8148

Thanks for the info t-die so sad i dont have anyone in the UK I can readily use. Will have to find. Am really getting confused here, my Mech is boasting he has the Original for 15k, but with your info am beginning to doubt just how original his part is cuz its coming way cheaper. while outfits with credibility like ASD MOTORS are squeezing us dry...
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by samoy(m): 6:06pm On Jun 20, 2013
Sorry ikenna, d VIN no is VF38BRFRE80972626. Waiting for ur response.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tdie: 6:11pm On Jun 20, 2013
wisesystem:

Thanks for the info t-die so sad i dont have anyone in the UK I can readily use. Will have to find. Am really getting confused here, my Mech is boasting he has the Original for 15k, but with your info am beginning to doubt just how original his part is cuz its coming way cheaper. while outfits with credibility like ASD MOTORS are squeezing us dry...

I would advice you not to use mechanics own (it may be original, but I doubt its newness). Remember that sensors cannot be judged by how new they look. I guess you just have to stick with the ASD sensor then. Have you tried cleaning the sensor connector/cable with some contact fluid. I do know that for peugeots, some sensor errors can be triggered by faulty connections.

If you must use your mechanics', then let him install it and give you a guarantee, and then run another PP2000 scan to verify the sensor is working properly. Otherwise stick to ASD.

You could also ask folks like Siena to help you out with the purchase and shipment from the UK. Am sure he wouldn't object, and you would get exactly what your're looking for at a cheaper price than 32k.

And if you don't have a Peugeot scanner yet, then I'd advise you to also consider buying one...-it's more cost effective than continually having to pay to get your car scanned, the pay again to get the errors cleared after rectification.

I must warn you though, that if you want your fox to remain trouble free, then you should be looking at spending a bit higher (preventive maintenance like timing belt, and original parts for replacements).

Any shortcuts you take now would come back to haunt you later, and then your friends will only be too happy to say 'shebi we tell you say Peugeot na wahala car' wink
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tdie: 6:12pm On Jun 20, 2013
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 6:53pm On Jun 20, 2013
@ wisesystem,

Well, the ASD guy called me and said they dont have the 1628 KN in stock. And that if you are interested, they can order one for you from PAN Kaduna. And that it would cost you N34,600. (almost 35k). He went on to explain why it was out of stock and blah blah blah, which i wasnt interested in. Anyway, thats the update on the ASD motors side.

Then, i decided to find out from a nearby Peugeot shop if they have it. They have the same one i bought in 2011 for my 505 V6, which they claimed was for EW10 (which still work till date). But it has Bosch part number, not Peugeot one. Unfortunately, it wasnt in its pack, where the Peugeot part number should have been written. Anyway, the guy said he would sell at 10k. I dont know how genuine it is, even though he swore it was more original than one in ASD store. Lol! But the truth is, i bought this same part number for my ZN3J at Area 3 new parts plaza at Garki, here in Abuja in 2011, and not from ASD. It still dey serve me o! Even if na fake, it still dey work. Though, i bought it 15k then.

Note that it must not be the exact part number for it to work. After all, i replaced the transducer on my D9 last 2 weeks or so, and the part number was different from the one i removed. Yet its working perfectly. To me, what matters is the connection. If the ECU signal wire on the o2 plug is different from harness plug from the ECU, then it wont work. Always remember that that the black wire is the ECU signal wire on the o2 socket, as far as Bosch universal o2 is concerned.

Does the mechanic sells new parts? How come he has new o2 for sale?

Whichever you choose to buy and install, make sure no one drops it on the ground or throw it about anyhow. It will simply kill the sensor, without even installing it, no matter how new or genuine it is. Its a sensitive and delicate sensor. Let him not touch any oil on it as well or touch it with oily hand. It will contaminate it and may kill it sooner than you expect once installed and powered on.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:06pm On Jun 20, 2013
wisesystem,

One more thing. Honestly, it will be safer to re-do that scan with pp2000 to be sure what you are dealing. The last scan you did, the faults you that came up were stored all the while when the CTS was disconnected. You need to be sure what triggered on the check engine light on again or which of the o2 sensor to replace.

The mechanic should scan it free for you this time to be sure of what he is on the right track. Its what i would do.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:40pm On Jun 20, 2013
samoy: Sorry ikenna, d VIN no is VF38BRFRE80972626. Waiting for ur response.

Find details of the above VIN below:

1. Vehicle family: 406 (Restyling) 4 Door Saloon.

2. Warranty Start date: 20/12/1999.

3. Driving Position: Left Hand Drive.

4. Engine: EW10 J4, 2.0 L, 16v, 138 hp.

5. Gearbox: 5-speed Manual transmission (BVM5).

6. Badge: ST.

7. Clutch: Hydraulic Clutch.

8. Tyre (Size, Type): 195/65 R15 H tyre.

9. Wheel (Type): Alloy Wheels.

10. ABS: Available.

11. Anti-Theft Device: Available.

12. Brake Type: Ventilated front discs/rear discs.

13. Dynamic Stability Control System: Without ESP.

14. Driver's/passengers seat control: Manual Control.

15. Compact Disc: Without (Rear).

16. Satellite Navigation System: Without.

17. Coolant Level warning Lamp.

18. Equalizer Amplifier: Without.

19. Fan (Radiator): 1 Fan 350W.

20. Special Lighting: Daylight Running Lights.

21. Set of Keys: 1 HF Plip key + 1 Single Main Key.

22. Etc.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 8:07pm On Jun 20, 2013
edited.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by samoy(m): 10:43pm On Jun 20, 2013
Ikenna, thanks so much. Pls,wats d meaning of dis 'without' in d VIN check. Also, d website is written in french. How can it be changed to english?
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 11:03pm On Jun 20, 2013
samoy: Ikenna, thanks so much. Pls,wats d meaning of dis 'without' in d VIN check. Also, d website is written in french. How can it be changed to english?

The "Without" means it doesnt have that function or it lacks it.

As for the Service Box, scroll down. You will see Francais, click on it and other languages will pop up. Click on UK English and continue.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 7:53pm On Jun 21, 2013
Ikenna351: @ wisesystem,

Well, the ASD guy called me and said they dont have the 1628 KN in stock. And that if you are interested, they can order one for you from PAN Kaduna. And that it would cost you N34,600. (almost 35k). He went on to explain why it was out of stock and blah blah blah, which i wasnt interested in. Anyway, thats the update on the ASD motors side.

Then, i decided to find out from a nearby Peugeot shop if they have it. They have the same one i bought in 2011 for my 505 V6, which they claimed was for EW10 (which still work till date). But it has Bosch part number, not Peugeot one. Unfortunately, it wasnt in its pack, where the Peugeot part number should have been written. Anyway, the guy said he would sell at 10k. I dont know how genuine it is, even though he swore it was more original than one in ASD store. Lol! But the truth is, i bought this same part number for my ZN3J at Area 3 new parts plaza at Garki, here in Abuja in 2011, and not from ASD. It still dey serve me o! Even if na fake, it still dey work. Though, i bought it 15k then.

Note that it must not be the exact part number for it to work. After all, i replaced the transducer on my D9 last 2 weeks or so, and the part number was different from the one i removed. Yet its working perfectly. To me, what matters is the connection. If the ECU signal wire on the o2 plug is different from harness plug from the ECU, then it wont work. Always remember that that the black wire is the ECU signal wire on the o2 socket, as far as Bosch universal o2 is concerned.

Does the mechanic sells new parts? How come he has new o2 for sale?

Whichever you choose to buy and install, make sure no one drops it on the ground or throw it about anyhow. It will simply kill the sensor, without even installing it, no matter how new or genuine it is. Its a sensitive and delicate sensor. Let him not touch any oil on it as well or touch it with oily hand. It will contaminate it and may kill it sooner than you expect once installed and powered on.

Ikenna.

Oga Ikenna thanks so much for all the effort. Av called my Mech and he,s agreed to do another scan, for free too just to be sure though he insists the fault is with the O2sensors, in the mean time my lion has been running so thirsty while av been too busy to do anything yet. Given some thought to all the options you have proffered and I think I ll prefer tO order the O2sensors from the UK if I can get Siena to help, thanks to you I have the part numbers.

My plan B is to go for that you used for tour 505 V6 with Bosch part number, which you said is believed can be used for EW10. your success with that sensor I think makes it worth a try. Will try cleaning the connecting switches tomorrow as you suggested sha. Hope to get to Siena over the weekend, will keep you updated Sir.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by kadbus: 7:26am On Jun 22, 2013
hello house,

i changed the spark plugs of my fox and noticed that d car will raise by itself without pressing d accelerator. So i called my mech and he said dat he suspect something at d injector end. Pls help me out house.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:19am On Jun 22, 2013
kadbus: hello house,

i changed the spark plugs of my fox and noticed that d car will raise by itself without pressing d accelerator. So i called my mech and he said dat he suspect something at d injector end. Pls help me out house.

Check to see if any of the vacuum lines was not properly plugged in or clamped in the engine bay. Also check all the sensors or component connectors on the engine, to be sure they are plugged in well. It could be that the mechanic unplugged something without plugging it back well after the spark plug replacement.

But wetin concern self engine high rev to injectors? This beings called Nigerian mechanics!

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by kadbus: 9:45am On Jun 22, 2013
Ikenna351:

Check to see if any of the vacuum lines was not properly plugged in or clamped in the engine bay. Also check all the sensors or component connectors on the engine, to be sure they are plugged in well. It could be that the mechanic unplugged something without plugging it back well after the spark plug replacement.

But wetin concern self engine high rev to injectors? This beings called Nigerian mechanics!

Ikenna.

thank you. I wil check it now and get back 2 u soon.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by kadbus: 10:06am On Jun 22, 2013
kadbus:

thank you. I wil check it now and get back 2 u soon.

i changed d spark plugs myself wen i noticed dat d car drags wen acelerated. I noticed dat 1 of d vaccum hose dat goes 2 d tottle housing was not plugged in
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 11:45am On Jun 22, 2013
kadbus:

i changed d spark plugs myself wen i noticed dat d car drags wen acelerated. I noticed dat 1 of d vaccum hose dat goes 2 d tottle housing was not plugged in

So, has the high rev issue stopped?

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 4:43pm On Jun 22, 2013
@ wisesystem,

I went to Gudu market this afternoon to check for 1628 KN o2 sensor. I found one, not identical but similar: 1628 HQ. Price is 8k.

There were other o2 sensor which they claimed are for EW10. But they only had Bosch part numbers (HW), not Peugeot one. The prices are between 7k and 8k.

I observed something while I was at the market, the color of upstream sensor connector is green, while the downstream sensor connector is blue. So the one you should be changing (Upstream) should have green color connector, not blue. Note that the downstream sensor (blue connector, one after caty, doesn't affect fuel consumption when it fails. Its function is to monitor the catalytic converter and report back to ECU how good or bad the caty is. But the upstream sensor, one before caty (green connector), fine tunes the amount of fuel that goes into the combustion chambers. So when it fails, the fuel consumption increases and you get check engine light on and Anti-pollution fault warning.

I would advice you to be sure the color of o2 sensor connector that will be replaced with the old one. If you use the wrong colour, the sensor wont work. Even the connection is different, even though the connectors match. The upstream sensor value is suppose to fluctuate when engine is at idle, while the downstream sensor value remain constant. You can test that and see for yourself with Digital Multimeter or PP2000.

I believe any Bosch universal 4-wire sensor will work, I think, as long as the connector color matches. Part numbers must not always match for it to work.

*Note that I have checked my D9 V6 oxygen sensors (4 of them) and confirmed the green/blue connector color difference.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by kadbus: 7:35pm On Jun 22, 2013
Ikenna351:

So, has the high rev issue stopped?

Ikenna.

i wil check it tomorow when going 2 church. Thanks
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 9:02pm On Jun 22, 2013
Ikenna351: @ wisesystem,

I went to Gudu market this afternoon to check for 1628 KN o2 sensor. I found one, not identical but similar: 1628 HQ. Price is 8k.

There were other o2 sensor which they claimed are for EW10. But they only had Bosch part numbers (HW), not Peugeot one. The prices are between 7k and 8k.

I observed something while I was at the market, the color of upstream sensor connector is green, while the downstream sensor connector is blue. So the one you should be changing (Upstream) should have green color connector, not blue. Note that the downstream sensor (blue connector, one after caty, doesn't affect fuel consumption when it fails. Its function is to monitor the catalytic converter and report back to ECU how good or bad the caty is. But the upstream sensor, one before caty (green connector), fine tunes the amount of fuel that goes into the combustion chambers. So when it fails, the fuel consumption increases and you get check engine light on and Anti-pollution fault warning.

I would advice you to be sure the color of o2 sensor connector that will be replaced with the old one. If you use the wrong colour, the sensor wont work. Even the connection is different, even though the connectors match. The upstream sensor value is suppose to fluctuate when engine is at idle, while the downstream sensor value remain constant. You can test that and see for yourself with Digital Multimeter or PP2000.

I believe any Bosch universal 4-wire sensor will work, I think, as long as the connector color matches. Part numbers must not always match for it to work.

*Note that I have checked my D9 V6 oxygen sensors (4 of them) and confirmed the green/blue connector color difference.

Ikenna

Wow!!! Great news Brother. Though will be going out on an official assignment for the next three weeks and my car would be parked. But if you could kindly avail me me with the phone number of the part seller and/or shop number at Gudu Market I could get a friend in Abuja to get one for me and send it down to Makurdi, my wife is also a lion lover and wont have problems getting them fixed in the car before my return.

With regards to the colour of the connectors, you are damn right just confirmed that myself with my car some minutes ago. Graciaz!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (100) (Reply)

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.