Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running (12542 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings / Warning Lights On My Toyota Corolla 2008 Dashboard / Five Warning Signs Not To Be Ignored (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by logica(m): 11:10pm On Jul 30, 2012
calculusx:

You have a point especially giving your car to a competent mechanic. I had this check engine and vsc light on my dash-board for months before taking my SUV to Mandilas for a scan. After the 02 sensor was changed, the check engine light and VSC light disappear and my SUV doesn't consume fuel unlike when the lights are ON.
Exactly. A car I brought from the US never had the "check engine" light come on; until after I had the engine serviced by a mechanic. Then all hell was let loose. And yeah, when a sensor that determines the amount of fuel to supply is misbehaving, of course the car consumes more fuel than normal.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by ekpriobong(m): 11:39pm On Jul 30, 2012
Nice one.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by jodeci(m): 8:11am On Jul 31, 2012
Sometimes the Service engine soon light on dashboard could be false too,in that case when it is reset,it wont come back again.I changed the battery of my car to a new one recently,the SES light came on and my car refused to rev up,all attempts to reset the
SES failed even when i reverted to the OEM battery that came with the SUV.I went online and learnt how to reset the SES without diagnostic tool.I did just that and the light disappeared and never came back till date and my car performance returned to status quo,i there after abandoned the new battery i bought.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by howfar2: 8:46am On Jul 31, 2012
@Chatterly, just as Logica said, it is not the fuel in most cases. I grew up in three different continents and am talking from driving experience. Yes we have leaded and unleaded fuel, but other issues like sensors causes it. It is always better to have a scan on your car before u conclude or give out to an auto mech who does a trial and error repair on your automobile.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by DiyaDayo: 9:29am On Jul 31, 2012
These are good points do you believe that 70percent of nigeria driver didn't know all this signs especially break sign i av most of my friends and colligues that will be asking the work of that light when it shows in their car even me it takes some time before i know it so is very good.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by ATMC(f): 10:49am On Jul 31, 2012
ZUBY77: This is important to we drivers. Not telling us that Ini Edo is pregnant. Or announcing that Tonto Dike has promsed to stop smoking as if we care.
drivers r not d only ones on nl ok,
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by lahips: 11:52am On Jul 31, 2012
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by howfar2: 12:25pm On Jul 31, 2012
@Lahips,I can't really get what you saying, but if your check engine light comes on, you will have to scan ur car to know what the issue is.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by logica(m): 12:55pm On Jul 31, 2012
lahips: My CHECK ENGINE light is always on, Toyota Corolla 2000 model, its even when my car has a problem the light will blink or continously go off and on, so am kinda lost on that point.
This is a 12 year old car. I think the sensor needs replacement.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by femi4: 8:06pm On Jul 31, 2012
Where can we get good sensor replacement cos I ve been driving with check engine light ON on my honda accord 2000 model for the past eight months
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by phyl123: 9:58pm On Jul 31, 2012
My check emission/ engine light has been coming on for about a month now. I have got it run through the computer and it resulted in this 3 codes. P0402, P0222 and P0123. ITS A 2002 GOLF. Are there any experts in the house who can explain in a laymans language to me what this actually means. Thanks.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by logica(m): 10:32pm On Jul 31, 2012
phyl123: My check emission/ engine light has been coming on for about a month now. I have got it run through the computer and it resulted in this 3 codes. P0402, P0222 and P0123. ITS A 2002 GOLF. Are there any experts in the house who can explain in a laymans language to me what this actually means. Thanks.
Check for yourself:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

P0402 => http://www.obd-codes.com/p0402
P0123 => http://www.obd-codes.com/p0123
P0222 => Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Low Input
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by phyl123: 10:38pm On Jul 31, 2012
logica: Check for yourself:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

P0402 => http://www.obd-codes.com/p0402
P0123 => http://www.obd-codes.com/p0123
P0222 => Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Low Input

Thanks a lot logica, this info was very helpful. smiley
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by calculusx(m): 10:44pm On Jul 31, 2012
phyl123: My check emission/ engine light has been coming on for about a month now. I have got it run through the computer and it resulted in this 3 codes. P0402, P0222 and P0123. ITS A 2002 GOLF. Are there any experts in the house who can explain in a laymans language to me what this actually means. Thanks.

I'm sorry im not a mechanic but an automobile dealer and i hope my little understanding with research will help fix your car.

Code P0402

The P0402 code means that OBD detected an excessive amount of EGR. EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It is part of the vehicle emmissions system, and is used to reduce combustion temperature and pressure to control Oxides of Nitrogen. There are generally three parts to the EGR system: t[b]he EGR valve, an actuator solenoid, and a differential pressure sensor (DPF)[/b]. These things work together to deliver the correct amount of recirculation based on engine temperature, load, etc. This mean your DPFE sensor needs to be replaced or your Car EGR valve is faulty due to lack of vaccum. The best solution is to replace the SPFE sensor.

Code P0123

A P0123 code means that the the car's computer has detected that the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is reporting too high a voltage. This may be caused by faulty TPS, damaged Computer PCM or your car TPS is not properly mounted. The best thing to do is to reset the code and see if it will comes back.

Code P0222
This is detected when there a low voltage from the TPS is sent to your Car ECM {Engine Control Module}. The throttle position sensor has the two sensors. These sensors are a kind of potentiometers which transform the throttle valve position into output voltage, and emit the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM) In addition, these sensors detect the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feed the voltage signals to the ECM. The ECM judges the current opening angle of the throttle valve from these signals and the ECM controls the throttle control motor to make the throttle valve opening angle properly in response to driving condition

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, carefully inspect all wiring and connectors that lead to the TPS. More than likely the problem is with the TPS wiring. Check the voltage at the TPS (refer to a service manual for your vehicle for this specific information). If the voltage spikes or is too high (over 4.65 volts with key on, engine off), then that is indicative of a problem. Carefully trace each wire from the TPS wiring harness to check for breaks, rubbing against other components, etc.

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0222_volkswagen.html#ixzz22EsegZG7

1 Like

Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by phyl123: 6:25am On Aug 01, 2012
Thanks Calculus for this extra info, cos when i first took this problem to my mechanic he quoted a whole lot of money and my instincts told me to hold on a bit. I think i will check out the average price for these items armed with all the info ive got here and go for a second opinion. I am very grateful for all the help ive received from here.

calculusx:

I'm sorry im not a mechanic but an automobile dealer and i hope my little understanding with research will help fix your car.

Code P0402

The P0402 code means that OBD detected an excessive amount of EGR. EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It is part of the vehicle emmissions system, and is used to reduce combustion temperature and pressure to control Oxides of Nitrogen. There are generally three parts to the EGR system: t[b]he EGR valve, an actuator solenoid, and a differential pressure sensor (DPF)[/b]. These things work together to deliver the correct amount of recirculation based on engine temperature, load, etc. This mean your DPFE sensor needs to be replaced or your Car EGR valve is faulty due to lack of vaccum. The best solution is to replace the SPFE sensor.

Code P0123

A P0123 code means that the the car's computer has detected that the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is reporting too high a voltage. This may be caused by faulty TPS, damaged Computer PCM or your car TPS is not properly mounted. The best thing to do is to reset the code and see if it will comes back.

Code P0222
This is detected when there a low voltage from the TPS is sent to your Car ECM {Engine Control Module}. The throttle position sensor has the two sensors. These sensors are a kind of potentiometers which transform the throttle valve position into output voltage, and emit the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM) In addition, these sensors detect the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feed the voltage signals to the ECM. The ECM judges the current opening angle of the throttle valve from these signals and the ECM controls the throttle control motor to make the throttle valve opening angle properly in response to driving condition

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, carefully inspect all wiring and connectors that lead to the TPS. More than likely the problem is with the TPS wiring. Check the voltage at the TPS (refer to a service manual for your vehicle for this specific information). If the voltage spikes or is too high (over 4.65 volts with key on, engine off), then that is indicative of a problem. Carefully trace each wire from the TPS wiring harness to check for breaks, rubbing against other components, etc.

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0222_volkswagen.html#ixzz22EsegZG7
here.
Re: Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running by haseenoluv: 6:42am On Aug 17, 2013
Nice one

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Your Car's MPG Reading? / Signs Of Lubricant Starvation / 2018 Porsche Mission E Cross Turismo Concept Revealed (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.