Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,080 members, 7,818,233 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Signs Of Lubricant Starvation - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Signs Of Lubricant Starvation (12547 Views)

5 Common Signs Of A Failing Car Fuel Pump / 9 Warning Signs Your Car's Oil & Lubricant Might Be Leaking / When To Choose Synthetic Lubricant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by destineguy(m): 2:07pm On Jun 16, 2016
"What is the first indication of lubricant starvation?"

Heat is the direct consequence of lubricant starvation. Once any mechanical system becomes depleted of lubricant, and the lubricating film keeping gears, bearings or slides apart is no longer present to support or protect the surfaces, surface-to-surface contact will occur. When two surfaces slide or rub together, friction is produced, and from friction comes heat.

Before frictional heat is generated, the only way to detect lubricant starvation would be through vibration analysis. Vibration analysis can pick up subtle vibration changes in the machinery and may be able to identify lubricant starvation before the extreme heat from friction is discovered.

The effect of friction on the two surfaces rubbing together without lubrication will cause them to heat up quickly. The amount of heat generated will be in direct correlation to how fast the two surfaces are sliding or rotating. For example, gears rotating at only 60 rpm will take much longer to heat up than those rotating at 1,800 rpm. Without proper lubrication, gears rotating at faster speeds not only will heat up quickly but can also lead to failure of the machine.

In the image below, notice the difference between a good oil supply (full lubricant film), an impaired oil supply (boundary contact), and dry friction and wear (caused by lubricant starvation). Welding and galling occur when the two surfaces become so hot that they weld together and then tear apart, resulting in large amounts of debris. This is not something you want happening inside your machine.

Other signs that your machine is suffering from lubricant starvation include smoke, an unusual smell and the machine becoming hot to the touch. Smoke is caused by the heating of what is left of the lubricant. This is usually the case when you see some poor soul stranded by the side of the road with smoke pouring out from under the hood of his car.

Before a machine even begins to smoke, you can often smell the oil starting to heat up. This provides a good way to detect lubricant starvation.

Another excellent method is through touch. Your hands are very sensitive heat detectors and can identify subtle changes in temperature.

However, the most effective way to combat lubricant starvation without expensive diagnostic equipment is to check your machinery on a regular basis. Ensure your PMs are appropriate for each machine and take into account the changing conditions around the equipment, such as temperature, moisture and workload.

Source: http://lubestoday..com/2016/06/signs-of-lubricant-starvation.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by kingreign(m): 6:18am On Jun 17, 2016
ElPadrino33:
Please how did this make frontpage?

How wouldn't it make homepage?
This is important to Engineers, technicians, designers et al.
We are tired of all the stale news about snakes, tonto dike and death coming to home page, let better things, more educative and enlightening threads grace homepage.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by Nobody: 6:21am On Jun 17, 2016
This post reads incoherently, it feels like a hastily put together ad. undecided
It's not very informative more like a rant.
If I May ask what's the criteria for posts getting o front page on this website? More and more lately the quality of front page posts has really tanked.
Really finding it harder to finds reason to visit this website lately
undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by Daxyd4realzy(m): 6:22am On Jun 17, 2016
Informative
Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by VocalWalls: 6:44am On Jun 17, 2016
Thanks for this
Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by Nobody: 6:49am On Jun 17, 2016
jenigurl:
This post reads incoherently, it feels like a hastily put together ad. undecided
If I May ask what's the criteria for posts getting o front page on this website? More and more lately the quality of front page posts has really tanked.
undecided
So how may we please you, your majesty? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by tunwumi: 7:22am On Jun 17, 2016
Some people are technically challenge and I understand. If you are in that category u won't understand this post
Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by globatop: 7:37am On Jun 17, 2016
Nice topic, informative to vehicle users
Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by eagleonearth(m): 7:53am On Jun 17, 2016
I CONCUR. OIL IS THE BLOOD OF ANY ENGINE OR MACHINERY. EARLY CHANGE OF OIL AND FILTERS WILL
DEFINITELY PROLONG THE LIFE OF THE ENGINE OR MACHINERY.

@USELESS GOAT, REPENT FOR THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS AT HAND.
Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by Adesiji77: 8:06am On Jun 17, 2016
LOL at the funny comments cheesy grin
Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by Judeoxide(m): 8:23am On Jun 17, 2016
This shows that we really have a problem in this country.. .

70% readers thought its about z3x
20 find the topic useless..
And only a staggering 10 find it useful..
And we call the president dullard.. .

Nigerians are terrible and naturally backwards

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by thelastmediator: 8:25am On Jun 17, 2016
jenigurl:
undecided

If you are quite familiar with machines and how they work, it shouldn't be difficult for you to decipher what's written up there.
I guess this is the wrong post for you to show your dissatisfaction on the quality of post that makes the front page.
Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by hopilo: 9:11am On Jun 17, 2016
ElPadrino33:
Please how did this make frontpage?
Clearly you are not ready to learn. No knowledge gain is waste.
Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by lonelydora: 9:17am On Jun 17, 2016
Op, there's more to lubrication than what you put up there. Nice one though
Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by uvalued(m): 10:39am On Jun 17, 2016
uselessgoat:
undecided Honestly my mind went the other way when i saw the word lubricant. I thought the article will teach about recommended lubricants when a girl's pusssy runs dry during a sex romp in bed. I was wrong sad nice article tho undecided
lol naija chei true confession
Re: Signs Of Lubricant Starvation by omenka1: 11:31am On Jun 17, 2016
lonelydora:
Op, there's more to lubrication than what you put up there. Nice one though
Then tell us.......
ENDTIMECOMMENT

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

2018 Porsche Mission E Cross Turismo Concept Revealed (photos) / Thermostats, Do we really need them :) / Best 20W50 Engine Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.