Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:59 AM

Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling (17317 Views)

Graphic Photos From The Accident On Akure Highway / Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway,scores Of Passengers Feared Dead.graphic Pics / 10 Things I Realized While Traveling Around Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by lilkech(m): 1:39am On Aug 01, 2012
We all know that armed bandits have been laying ambush for unsuspecting motorists and travelers on our highways especially on the lonely stretch of road between the Benin by-pass and the town of Benin itself. I don't think our police force can help out at this particular area of the highway so we need to be prepared for the worst.

They manage to stop vehicles and buses by either throwing objects onto the road directly in the path of your vehicle, pretending to be servicing a broken down vehicle or they just COME OUT GUNS DRAWN AND DANGEROUSLY POINTING IT AT YOUR VEHICLE or worse still BLAZE AT YOU.

If you are ever unfortunate enough to be stopped by those highway robbers, please take special heed to the advice I wish to give on this thread.

STEP 1

Once you notice the robbers trying to pull your vehicle over, just 'FLOOR IT', unless of course they have their guns already pointed directly at you from afar. In this case 'JUST STOP YOUR VEHICLE' because you wouldn't want to test if their weapons are loaded, or do you? I seriously hope not.

STEP 2

If your vehicle gets pulled over, do not make the mistake of trying to fight your way out of the situation because of the likely consequence (see step 1 above)

STEP 3

Normally at this stage the bandits will commence to quickly search you and the full vehicle for plunder able valuables. If you are in a commuter bus, then the bandits will force the doors open and coerce the passengers to RUN INTO THE BUSH adjacent the lane you were pulled over on (to the right). I prefer to run into the bush also but ON THE OPPOSITE LANE OF THE HIGHWAY or ON THE HIGHWAY ITSELF AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE (if the chance presents itself). If you were robbed on the road itself then forget about the next steps and GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE FAST.

IN THE NEXT STEPS IT IS ASSUMED THAT YOU ARE TRAVELLING ALONE. THIS IS BECAUSE YOU ARE ACTUALLY ON YOUR OWN AT THIS POINT, FORGET 'CROWD MENTALITY' AND USE YOUR BRAIN FROM HERE ON

STEP 4

Once the bandits demand that you run into the bush you can either choose to crouch and whimper in the bus (feint hearted) or dash out from the bus. Please remember to leave your traveling bags and heavy stuff in the bus before leaving it (no matter what you've got in it) as carrying them will slow you down and automatically turn you into a target for the bandits to single out. If you remained in the bus then just sit tight and await the return of the other members of your vehicle from the bush.

NOW IT GETS REALLY SERIOUS AND TRICKY FROM HERE

STEP 5

Once you are out of the bus and dashing into the jungle please DO NOT RUN TOGETHER WITH/ IN THE SAME DIRECTION WITH YOUR CO-PASSENGERS as the crowd mentality will cloud your judgment. You should under no circumstance run MORE THAT A FEW METERS INTO THE BUSH before falling on the ground and LAYING THERE FOR NO MORE THAN 10 MINUTES before getting up and slowly make your way back to the road in another direction from which either you or your co-passengers came into the bush. This is because the bandits will waste no time in plundering the bus/car and then taking off into the same bush themselves.

If you run too far into the bush YOU WILL DEFINITELY ENCOUNTER THE REST OF YOUR CO-PASSENGERS AS WELL AS THE MAIN GANG OF BANDITS (did you really think that the 3 or 4 guys that stopped your vehicle were all the members of the gang? Well, think again) plus you also run the risk of getting lost and losing your handy belongings (phones, wallets, purses e.t.c) in the confusing jungle marathon race that you and others would have participated in.

BUT IF YOU DID RUN DEEP INTO THE JUNGLE OUT OF FEAR, THEN READ ON.

STEP 6

Band together with other members of your vehicle and then coordinate within yourselves to present the bandits with the valuables you can afford to lose (yes, because the robbers MUST find you) and try to find a safe and traceable place to hide the items that you consider of high value to you. Remember to keep little cash for your transport fare aside just in case but remember that YOU MUST PRESENT THE ROBBERS WITH SOMETHING(S) OF TANGIBLE INTEREST TO BE CONSIDERED 'SAFE' AT THIS POINT. Failure to do so might cause the bandits to inflict injuries on you or worse still cost you your life.

Once and after you have been robbed just immediately proceed to make your way back to your vehicle which must still be parked on the highway itself (unless of course your driver has left you behind), THANK THE LORD YOUR GOD and continue with your journey.

Have a nice travel experience and safe journey.

7 Likes

Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by BabaEleko(m): 7:52am On Aug 01, 2012
I wonder why this hasn't made the front page while other nonsense that don't add value to peoples lives are celebrated there. embarassed embarassed sad angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by EfemenaXY: 9:35am On Aug 01, 2012
@Poster, that's all good and handy if you're a guy.

How do you stop them from attacking and (heaven forbid) molesting you, if you're female??
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by chii8(f): 10:19am On Aug 01, 2012
Efemena_xy:

That's all good and handy if you're a guy.

How do you stop them from attacking and (heaven forbid) meeting you, if you're female??
for a lady,d only remedy i can tink of rit nw is puttn God first,God wl nt let my eyes c such evil oooo

1 Like

Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Sommey(m): 10:22am On Aug 01, 2012
Although ur suggestions/tactics r rily gud ones bt i must say dt encounter wif highway robbers rily nids psychological work as in d case wia u said da shuld step on d accelerator wen objects r being hauled at d supposed vehicle by d hoodlums. Also it nids will power nt jx common sense cz at dt kinda event u ll b totally confusd n almost out ideas dt u might wnt 2 piss on urself. 9ice one OP.
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 10:32am On Aug 01, 2012
chii8: for a lady,d only remedy i can tink of rit nw is puttn God first,God wl nt let my eyes c such evil oooo

Aside God, endevour to wear female condoms wen traveling incase the devils decide to rob ur flowers too. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by sirwyte(m): 10:33am On Aug 01, 2012
lilkech:
We all know that armed bandits have been laying ambush for unsuspecting motorists and travelers on our highways especially on the lonely stretch of road between the Benin by-pass and the town of Benin itself. I don't think our police force can help out at this particular area of the highway so we need to be prepared for the worst.

They manage to stop vehicles and buses by either throwing objects onto the road directly in the path of your vehicle, pretending to be servicing a broken down vehicle or they just COME OUT GUNS DRAWN AND DANGEROUSLY POINTING IT AT YOUR VEHICLE or worse still BLAZE AT YOU.

If you are ever unfortunate enough to be stopped by those highway robbers, please take special heed to the advice I wish to give on this thread.

STEP 1

Once you notice the robbers trying to pull your vehicle over, just 'FLOOR IT', unless of course they have their guns already pointed directly at you from afar. In this case 'JUST STOP YOUR VEHICLE' because you wouldn't want to test if their weapons are loaded, or do you? I seriously hope not.

STEP 2

If your vehicle gets pulled over, do not make the mistake of trying to fight your way out of the situation because of the likely consequence (see step 1 above)

STEP 3

Normally at this stage the bandits will commence to quickly search you and the full vehicle for plunder able valuables. If you are in a commuter bus, then the bandits will force the doors open and coerce the passengers to RUN INTO THE BUSH adjacent the lane you were pulled over on (to the right). I prefer to run into the bush also but ON THE OPPOSITE LANE OF THE HIGHWAY or ON THE HIGHWAY ITSELF AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE (if the chance presents itself). If you were robbed on the road itself then forget about the next steps and GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE FAST.

IN THE NEXT STEPS IT IS ASSUMED THAT YOU ARE TRAVELLING ALONE. THIS IS BECAUSE YOU ARE ACTUALLY ON YOUR OWN AT THIS POINT, FORGET 'CROWD MENTALITY' AND USE YOUR BRAIN FROM HERE ON

STEP 4

Once the bandits demand that you run into the bush you can either choose to crouch and whimper in the bus (feint hearted) or dash out from the bus. Please remember to leave your traveling bags and heavy stuff in the bus before leaving it (no matter what you've got in it) as carrying them will slow you down and automatically turn you into a target for the bandits to single out. If you remained in the bus then just sit tight and await the return of the other members of your vehicle from the bush.

STEP 5

Once you are out of the bus and dashing into the jungle please DO NOT RUN TOGETHER WITH/ IN THE SAME DIRECTION WITH YOUR CO-PASSENGERS as the crowd mentality will cloud your judgment. You should under no circumstance run MORE THAT A FEW METERS INTO THE BUSH before falling on the ground and LAYING THERE FOR NO MORE THAN 10 MINUTES before getting up and slowly make your way back to the road in another direction from which either you or your co-passengers came into the bush. This is because the bandits will waste no time in plundering the bus/car and then taking off into the same bush themselves.

If you run too far into the bush YOU WILL DEFINITELY ENCOUNTER THE REST OF YOUR CO-PASSENGERS AS WELL AS THE MAIN GANG OF BANDITS (did you really think that the 3 or 4 guys that stopped your vehicle were all the members of the gang? Well, think again) plus you also run the risk of getting lost and losing your handy belongings (phones, wallets, purses e.t.c) in the confusing jungle marathon race that you and others would have participated in.

STEP 6

Band together with other members of your vehicle and then coordinate within yourselves to present the bandits with the valuables you can afford to lose (yes, because the robbers MUST find you) and try to find a safe and traceable place to hide the items that you consider of high value to you. Remember to keep little cash for your transport fare aside just in case but remember that YOU MUST PRESENT THE ROBBERS WITH SOMETHING(S) OF TANGIBLE INTEREST TO BE CONSIDERED 'SAFE' AT THIS POINT. Failure to do so might cause the bandits to inflict injuries on you or worse still cost you your life.

Once and after you have been robbed just immediately proceed to make your way back to your vehicle which must still be parked on the highway itself (unless of course your driver has left you behind), THANK THE LORD YOUR GOD and continue with your journey.

ds 1 na just grammar.
armed robbers nvr jam u 4 road.

3 Likes

Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Kpac(m): 10:35am On Aug 01, 2012
To me:
This are not advice of avoiding getting robbed but actually something like you telling us how to get robbed peacefully and the robbers enjoying their robbery.
Your piece is actually like you asking us to offer maaximum cooperation to get robbed, if u ask me, its like an advert to ease the stress of the robbers themselves.

8 Likes

Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by born2boink(m): 10:36am On Aug 01, 2012
KINGwax: carry condoms. Should in case they wanna fucck
that make sense but if arm robber refuses to use condom

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 01, 2012
Easier said...

Well sha... Nice one @OP..

But when u really jam.... Hmmmm... #lipzsealed
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by kbdrim(m): 10:38am On Aug 01, 2012
lilkech:

STEP 1

STEP 2

STEP 3

STEP 4

STEP 5

STEP 6

I swear This Guy na armed robber or maybe you be retired armed robber. The amount of details wey u put makes u a suspect. cool cool cool. Anyways Good advise tho

1 Like

Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Nobody: 10:38am On Aug 01, 2012
Bro Nice one, bcoz that benin by pass is usually scary,both d ore road too. But its always good to pray to God always!!
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Nobody: 10:39am On Aug 01, 2012
THANK THE LORD YOUR GOD and continue with your journey.

Really?
For what?? Gettin robbed??
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Abyjah: 10:41am On Aug 01, 2012
born2fuck: that make sense but if arm robber refuses to use condom
Tell them you's got AIDS. I bet they'd either cooperate or set you loose with adequate cursing! wink
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Afam4eva(m): 10:44am On Aug 01, 2012
I think the topic should be changed to "How to get robbed succesfully without losing your life".

3 Likes

Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Okijajuju1(m): 10:45am On Aug 01, 2012
lilkech:

STEP 1

If you notice Robbers trying to pull you over, your first instinct would be to check out the type of vehicle they are using and see if yours can outrun theirs and also if the road you are on would give you any advantage like potholes and smoothness.. If the answer is No, please pull over.. If the answer is yes, crouch low (with your head beneath your head rest, and floor your accelerator.. If the chance presents itself, go into oncoming traffic lane and put on your harzard.. The one thing these robbers try to avoid is a scene.. However, if guns start firing off, pull over, or stop the car in such a way that they will run into you and then take off...

lilkech:
STEP 2

Sound Advice.. If you get pulled over especially with guns drawn & blazing, dont fight, dont run, just obey.. Remember, Obedience is better than sacrifice...

lilkech:
STEP 3

...Should you happen to be in a commuter bus or even your vehicle, before you embark on that trip, its advisable to always have spare cash and a phone hidden on your person at all times.. Also its advisable to scatter your monies in and around your vehicle or in and around your luggage.. Also carry a small handy phone that is fully charged, loaded with credit and can be hidden easily on your body like under your shoes, between your b'utt cheeks and places like that that the robbers are least likely to check.. Dont be greedy as well, when they come through, give them a sizable amount of money and you are least likely to be frisked in such situations.. For the girls, dress moderately.. Avoid figure enhancing and seductive outfits. Most of these robberies set out to be only about the money, but should a robber see a pretty girl that entices him, a quickiie is most likely to be added to their scope of work..

lilkech:
STEP 4

This is one instruction you cannot afford to ignore. My advice is take off running like your life depends on it and as soon as you enter the bush, find a tree and lie face down just incase the robbers decide to shoot into the bush...

lilkech:
STEP 5

Good advice.. Already tackled it earlier...

lilkech:

STEP 6

To add to this.. If you get pulled over and asked to lie flat on the ground.. DO NOT lie on the road as you stand the risk of being run over by on coming vehicles.. Do not lie on the side of the road either especially where it is obvious that oncoming vehicles will swerve towards to avoid and get away from them. Be cooperative and respectful. Give them all you have (especially those that you have kept aside for cases like this). Make sure it looks and appears valuable, you cant give them a 3310 handset when they just pulled your BMW X5 over.. Dont make any sudden or suspect movements.. Remember that they are also scared and on edge as you are and will most likely respond recklessly to any thing that appears to threaten their safety.

If you are driving, avoid running over suspect items on the road as they most likely contain spikes that will deflate your tyres and force you to stop, hence get robbed..

Avoid slowing down too much at potholed areas except its that bad as robbers have been known to lay ambush at such points.. Try to master the skill of how to manuver potholes with some degree of speed.

Be vigilant and watch for oncoming traffic.. You are most likely to be signalled of danger ahead by oncoming vehicles or!! You will notice that no vehicles are coming your way from the other direction. When you notice that, your best bet is to pull over and wait until you see atleast 2 oncoming vehicles over take you.. This particular skill has saved me on a trip to Anambra as it turned out to be that their was a robbery operation going on ahead.. And I actually later drove past 2 busses that had just been robbed.

Should you see an obstacle/barricade ahead of you on the road, do a quick assessment of what constitutes the barricade and see how best oyu can avois them.. E.G if you can manuver to the side or shoulder and drive past it, if you can ram it and keep going or if it is impossible to go around it without damaging your vehicle.. SHOULD YOU decide to run through a barricade, do not do it head on as the direct impact is most likely to kill your engines, do it with the side of the car to reduce the force on the car..

Try to travel in a pack of atleast 3 cars, and never be the lead vehicle...

Make sure your car is sound and your brakes are sharp should you need to stop and make a quick U-turn..

ALWAYS KEEP A CLEAR HEAD!! TRY NOT TO PANIC TOO MUCH... A clear head will have better judgement ability to be able to see an escape opportuinity and take it than a panicked mind..

If you can, GET URSELF A GUN!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by nikkyshyne(f): 10:45am On Aug 01, 2012
Kpac: To me:
This are not advice of avoiding getting robbed but actually something like you telling us how to get robbed peacefully and the robbers enjoying their robbery.
Your piece is actually like you asking us to offer maaximum cooperation to get robbed, if u ask me, its like an advert to ease the stress of the robbers themselves.
You beat me to this. I can't say more. GBAM!!
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Chidex2442(m): 10:47am On Aug 01, 2012
It's a simple matter wen u're travelling alone, and they stop u dnt panic jst kum down n tel dem dat u're one of dem n u blocked up, they should jst go away b4 d police squad dat met u kum afta them grin
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Nobody: 10:50am On Aug 01, 2012
Kpac: To me:

Seconded.... My own little addition is inspired by a personal experience. I was traveling from Enugu to abuja and i left enugu late. After ajaokuta, it was already dark and we saw a broken down vehicle and d driver increased his speed and whined up his window. He knew robbers where around instantly. Suddenly, we saw oranges all over the road and the driver slowed down and was swinging to and fro (dodging the oranges). I asked him why he was doing stunts and he said he suspected that nails were stuck in the oranges to puncture the tyre. Lo & behold, it happened. The nail caught one of d tyres but the driver refused to stop. He drove for abt 8km before stopping when the tyre was very flat. The conductor was alert and as he stopped, we asked everyone to come down so we can quickly change the tyre. As we were acting fast to change the tyre, a guy on bike rode down to check if we stopped (d car lights were off) and as soon as he got close, we threw stones at him. He rode back to his starting point and by d time we were tru wit the tyre changing and about to speed off, we saw guys heading towards us in bikes. Omoooo, i confirmed that day dat d bus driver is a F1 driver. Thank God we were not caught. So my advice to ppl is dat dey shld buy "run flat" tyres and inject with tyre sealant to avoid any thing of sort. Also make sure your spare tyre is ok before going on a journey and buy a handy tyre inflator (it can help u save time in changing ur tyre especially when u've got ur trunk loaded with goods and u have a flat tyre).

But in all things, make sure u carry GOD in ur car cos He's d only one dat can save us in the face of highway robbers.

13 Likes

Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by double08(m): 10:51am On Aug 01, 2012
A mission is always different from a drill,anyone with Military training will understand that,If you witness a life armed robbery I swear you wont remember any of these.Survival Instinct will take over

1 Like

Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Lordave: 10:51am On Aug 01, 2012
@op abeg make 9jeria police no hear this thing from you o.
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Magnanimity(m): 10:53am On Aug 01, 2012
lilkech:

STEP 1

STEP 2

STEP 3

STEP 4

STEP 5

STEP 6

Op, pls, ar u an armed robber ?
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Afam4eva(m): 10:54am On Aug 01, 2012
Okija_juju:
...Should you happen to be in a commuter bus or even your vehicle, before you embark on that trip, its advisable to always have spare cash and a phone hidden on your person at all times.. Also its advisable to scatter your monies in and around your vehicle or in and around your luggage.. Also carry a small handy phone that is fully charged, loaded with credit and can be hidden easily on your body like under your shoes, between your b'utt cheeks and places like that that the robbers are least likely to check.. Dont be greedy as well, when they come through, give them a sizable amount of money and you are least likely to be frisked in such situations.. For the girls, dress moderately.. Avoid figure enhancing and seductive outfits. Most of these robberies set out to be only about the money, but should a robber see a pretty girl that entices him, a quickiie is most likely to be added to their scope of work..
Just pray that the robbers don't discover that you're hiding a phone from them. Dem go scatter the person body with bullet. They musn't also find you with a camera. If they do, your own don kpeme.
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Abyjah: 10:56am On Aug 01, 2012
Look at you all... If you have plenty of juju in and on you Just like me, it's easy to even rob the robbers. Incase they try to overpower your jazz with theirs, vanish into your home. cool
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Afam4eva(m): 10:57am On Aug 01, 2012
Don't also forget that most of this robbers use juju and they will detect if you're trying to hide something from them.
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by tegax(m): 10:58am On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva: I think the topic should be changed to "How to get robbed succesfully without losing your life".
true
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Magnanimity(m): 10:59am On Aug 01, 2012
double08: A mission is always different from a drill,anyone with Military training will understand that,If you witness a life armed robbery I swear you wont remember any of these.Survival Instinct will take over
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Okijajuju1(m): 11:00am On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva: Don't also forget that most of this robbers use juju and they will detect if you're trying to hide something from them.

Not really!

The juju is normally for large amounts of money.. Your hidden phone is for you to call for help after being robbed. And a camera should be part of the things you surrender to them na.. Abi you wan snap your dead body?!
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Magnanimity(m): 11:01am On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva:
Just pray that the robbers don't discover that you're hiding a phone from them. Dem go scatter the person body with bullet. They musn't also find you with a camera. If they do, your own don kpeme.
Gbam
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Magnanimity(m): 11:02am On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva:
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by tegax(m): 11:04am On Aug 01, 2012
Chidex2442: It's a simple matter wen u're travelling alone, and they stop u dnt panic jst kum down n tel dem dat u're one of dem n u blocked up, they should jst go away b4 d police squad dat met u kum afta them grin
brilliant one bro. i think dis idea of urs would really do fine

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See Photos Of Flood In Warri As It Rains / 17 Nigerian Migrants Sue Italy For Returning Them To Libya / Nigerian, Dauda Onoruoiza Among Victims Of Crashed Ukrainian Airliner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.