Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,467 members, 7,954,829 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:23 AM

Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling (17428 Views)

Graphic Photos From The Accident On Akure Highway / Fatal Accident Along Benin Highway,scores Of Passengers Feared Dead.graphic Pics / 10 Things I Realized While Traveling Around Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Afam4eva(m): 11:05am On Aug 01, 2012
Chidex2442: It's a simple matter wen u're travelling alone, and they stop u dnt panic jst kum down n tel dem dat u're one of dem n u blocked up, they should jst go away b4 d police squad dat met u kum afta them grin
Who ever says this to robbers is a candidate of at least 3 bullets.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Afam4eva(m): 11:07am On Aug 01, 2012
Okija_juju:

Not really!

The juju is normally for large amounts of money.. Your hidden phone is for you to call for help after being robbed. And a camera should be part of the things you surrender to them na.. Abi you wan snap your dead body?!

Robbers hate it when people are trying to play smart. That's the reason why they kill some of their victims. The best way to avoid being killed by them is to act dumb. Do whatever they tell you to do. Even if it means volunteering to be r*aped then just do it. They will see you as a law abiding citizen.
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Okijajuju1(m): 11:07am On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva:
Who ever says this to robbers is a candidate of at least 3 bullets.

GBAM!!!!
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by yuzedo: 11:07am On Aug 01, 2012
wise_many2k:

Seconded.... My own little addition is inspired by a personal experience. I was traveling from Enugu to abuja and i left enugu late. After ajaokuta, it was already dark and we saw a broken down vehicle and d driver increased his speed and whined up his window. He knew robbers where around instantly. Suddenly, we saw oranges all over the road and the driver slowed down and was swinging to and fro (dodging the oranges). I asked him why he was doing stunts and he said he suspected that nails were stuck in the oranges to puncture the tyre. Lo & behold, it happened. The nail caught one of d tyres but the driver refused to stop. He drove for abt 8km before stopping when the tyre was very flat. The conductor was alert and as he stopped, we asked everyone to come down so we can quickly change the tyre. As we were acting fast to change the tyre, a guy on bike rode down to check if we stopped (d car lights were off) and as soon as he got close, we threw stones at him. He rode back to his starting point and by d time we were tru wit the tyre changing and about to speed off, we saw guys heading towards us in bikes. Omoooo, i confirmed that day dat d bus driver is a F1 driver. Thank God we were not caught.

Damn! This story is GANGSTA!!!!! shocked shocked Kudos to your driver mehn. . . Na strong, sharp, experienced full-blooded Ibo man!
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by ebamma(m): 11:12am On Aug 01, 2012
na when u jam with armed robbers were u go know say all this things were you write na theory.
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Okijajuju1(m): 11:14am On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva:
Robbers hate it when people are trying to play smart. That's the reason why they kill some of their victims. The best way to avoid being killed by them is to act dumb. Do whatever they tell you to do. Even if it means volunteering to be r*aped then just do it. They will see you as a law abiding citizen.

Without a doubt!!

So while being cooperative, also be smart as you dont want to be helpless after your roberry..
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by munaco: 11:23am On Aug 01, 2012
are u one of them. cos u are writing this with experience.
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 01, 2012
I remember the day i was goin to yola frm Abuja, my dad sent me money to come by air bt i dn't knw what took over me and i decided to go by road since i thought by doing so i would save enof to buy myslf smth i loved so much. Some miles before yola, it was already dark and i was so tired and i was even asleep when all of a sudden i heard ppl asking us to all get down frm the bus lo and behold they were thieves. To cut d story short, i recieved d beating of my life that day, all the money was collected, my phones and even my wristwatch. Thank God i wasn't raped. I dn't pray to ever meet thieves on my way again cos even uptil now i hav nt recovered fully though it happened few years bak.
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by eghost247(m): 11:32am On Aug 01, 2012
nice tips but i bet you panic will clear everything you wrote here
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by DrChatNuff: 11:33am On Aug 01, 2012
Dumb article......ever thought of securing Highways....better still with improved roads only fools try stopping cars at top speed
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Okijajuju1(m): 11:49am On Aug 01, 2012
DrChatNuff: Dumb article......ever thought of securing Highways....better still with improved roads only fools try stopping cars at top speed

You must be a nut sack for thinking you can stop a speeding vehicle... Have you heard of spkie strips?!!!!!
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by MahatmaGhandi: 11:50am On Aug 01, 2012
DrChatNuff: Dumb article......ever thought of securing Highways....better still with improved roads only fools try stopping cars at top speed

Haba dr na the nairalander wen write or Read this piece wan secure roads? Truth is since the primary purpose of government has been defeated and not available to citizens any advice that seems to provide it or reduce the consequence of not having it should be welcomed, thumbs up to the writer,we need to get all the information we can to survive the times
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by iamdsam: 11:50am On Aug 01, 2012
Kpac: To me:
This are not advice of avoiding getting robbed but actually something like you telling us how to get robbed peacefully and the robbers enjoying their robbery.
Your piece is actually like you asking us to offer maaximum cooperation to get robbed, if u ask me, its like an advert to ease the stress of the robbers themselves.
Na the truth you talk jare. He dey give us tips wah the armed robbers go take do easy job. Mtchewwwwww
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by iamdsam: 11:52am On Aug 01, 2012
born2fuck: that make sense but if arm robber refuses to use condom
You need to look inside first before you rape person
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by iamdsam: 11:56am On Aug 01, 2012
Abyjah: Tell them you's got AIDS. I bet they'd either cooperate or set you loose with adequate cursing! wink
He go just vex kill you. Nor just try am lipsrsealed
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by buchi4action(m): 12:07pm On Aug 01, 2012
born2fuck: that make sense but if arm robber refuses to use condom
*thinking*
tell them YOU carry AIDS
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by dtemidare: 12:07pm On Aug 01, 2012
Baba_Eleko: I wonder why this hasn't made the front page while other nonsense that don't add value to peoples lives are celebrated there. embarassed embarassed sad angry angry

like you said i wonder why this post hasn't made it to the front page. anyway its a good one. kudos to lilkech.
you deserve a kiss from me.
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by searay(m): 12:11pm On Aug 01, 2012
@OP, this measures are good especially if u r acting film. For real life, i fear ooooo.
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Gbengajolayemi: 12:15pm On Aug 01, 2012
And remeber if you are traveling and you notice arm robber following you just try to lose them but if you cannot lose them just dail the police number and tell them the name of the street, the number of the car following you
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Sike(m): 12:16pm On Aug 01, 2012
Season film.
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by toriade: 12:18pm On Aug 01, 2012
wise_many2k:

Seconded.... My own little addition is inspired by a personal experience. I was traveling from Enugu to abuja and i left enugu late. [size=15pt]After ajaokuta[/size], it was already dark and we saw a broken down vehicle and d driver increased his speed and whined up his window. He knew robbers where around instantly. Suddenly, we saw oranges all over the road and the driver slowed down and was swinging to and fro (dodging the oranges). I asked him why he was doing stunts and he said he suspected that nails were stuck in the oranges to puncture the tyre. Lo & behold, it happened. The nail caught one of d tyres but the driver refused to stop. He drove for abt 8km before stopping when the tyre was very flat. The conductor was alert and as he stopped, we asked everyone to come down so we can quickly change the tyre. As we were acting fast to change the tyre, a guy on bike rode down to check if we stopped (d car lights were off) and as soon as he got close, we threw stones at him. He rode back to his starting point and by d time we were tru wit the tyre changing and about to speed off, we saw guys heading towards us in bikes. Omoooo, i confirmed that day dat d bus driver is a F1 driver. Thank God we were not caught. So my advice to ppl is dat dey shld buy "run flat" tyres and inject with tyre sealant to avoid any thing of sort. Also make sure your spare tyre is ok before going on a journey and buy a handy tyre inflator (it can help u save time in changing ur tyre especially when u've got ur trunk loaded with goods and u have a flat tyre).

But in all things, make sure u carry GOD in ur car cos He's d only one dat can save us in the face of highway robbers.

Had a similar experience around that area. An overnight journey tho, that was the first and last time I'd ever try travelling overnight in Nigeria.
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by horlajide: 12:19pm On Aug 01, 2012
kbdrim:
I swear This Guy na armed robber or maybe you be retired armed robber. The amount of details wey u put makes u a suspect. cool cool cool. Anyways Good advise tho

dats d first thing that came to my mind
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Martini101(m): 12:26pm On Aug 01, 2012
lilkech:
We all know that armed bandits have been laying ambush for unsuspecting motorists and travelers on our highways especially on the lonely stretch of road between the Benin by-pass and the town of Benin itself. I don't think our police force can help out at this particular area of the highway so we need to be prepared for the worst.

They manage to stop vehicles and buses by either throwing objects onto the road directly in the path of your vehicle, pretending to be servicing a broken down vehicle or they just COME OUT GUNS DRAWN AND DANGEROUSLY POINTING IT AT YOUR VEHICLE or worse still BLAZE AT YOU.

If you are ever unfortunate enough to be stopped by those highway robbers, please take special heed to the advice I wish to give on this thread.

STEP 1

Once you notice the robbers trying to pull your vehicle over, just 'FLOOR IT', unless of course they have their guns already pointed directly at you from afar. In this case 'JUST STOP YOUR VEHICLE' because you wouldn't want to test if their weapons are loaded, or do you? I seriously hope not.

STEP 2

If your vehicle gets pulled over, do not make the mistake of trying to fight your way out of the situation because of the likely consequence (see step 1 above)

STEP 3

Normally at this stage the bandits will commence to quickly search you and the full vehicle for plunder able valuables. If you are in a commuter bus, then the bandits will force the doors open and coerce the passengers to RUN INTO THE BUSH adjacent the lane you were pulled over on (to the right). I prefer to run into the bush also but ON THE OPPOSITE LANE OF THE HIGHWAY or ON THE HIGHWAY ITSELF AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE (if the chance presents itself). If you were robbed on the road itself then forget about the next steps and GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE FAST.

IN THE NEXT STEPS IT IS ASSUMED THAT YOU ARE TRAVELLING ALONE. THIS IS BECAUSE YOU ARE ACTUALLY ON YOUR OWN AT THIS POINT, FORGET 'CROWD MENTALITY' AND USE YOUR BRAIN FROM HERE ON

STEP 4

Once the bandits demand that you run into the bush you can either choose to crouch and whimper in the bus (feint hearted) or dash out from the bus. Please remember to leave your traveling bags and heavy stuff in the bus before leaving it (no matter what you've got in it) as carrying them will slow you down and automatically turn you into a target for the bandits to single out. If you remained in the bus then just sit tight and await the return of the other members of your vehicle from the bush.

NOW IT GETS REALLY SERIOUS AND TRICKY FROM HERE

STEP 5

Once you are out of the bus and dashing into the jungle please DO NOT RUN TOGETHER WITH/ IN THE SAME DIRECTION WITH YOUR CO-PASSENGERS as the crowd mentality will cloud your judgment. You should under no circumstance run MORE THAT A FEW METERS INTO THE BUSH before falling on the ground and LAYING THERE FOR NO MORE THAN 10 MINUTES before getting up and slowly make your way back to the road in another direction from which either you or your co-passengers came into the bush. This is because the bandits will waste no time in plundering the bus/car and then taking off into the same bush themselves.

If you run too far into the bush YOU WILL DEFINITELY ENCOUNTER THE REST OF YOUR CO-PASSENGERS AS WELL AS THE MAIN GANG OF BANDITS (did you really think that the 3 or 4 guys that stopped your vehicle were all the members of the gang? Well, think again) plus you also run the risk of getting lost and losing your handy belongings (phones, wallets, purses e.t.c) in the confusing jungle marathon race that you and others would have participated in.

BUT IF YOU DID RUN DEEP INTO THE JUNGLE OUT OF FEAR, THEN READ ON.

STEP 6

Band together with other members of your vehicle and then coordinate within yourselves to present the bandits with the valuables you can afford to lose (yes, because the robbers MUST find you) and try to find a safe and traceable place to hide the items that you consider of high value to you. Remember to keep little cash for your transport fare aside just in case but remember that YOU MUST PRESENT THE ROBBERS WITH SOMETHING(S) OF TANGIBLE INTEREST TO BE CONSIDERED 'SAFE' AT THIS POINT. Failure to do so might cause the bandits to inflict injuries on you or worse still cost you your life.

Once and after you have been robbed just immediately proceed to make your way back to your vehicle which must still be parked on the highway itself (unless of course your driver has left you behind), THANK THE LORD YOUR GOD and continue with your journey.

Have a nice travel experience and safe journey.
. Bros, let me ask U. Are U a Born christian Armed robber? Lol
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by AdeniyiA(m): 12:30pm On Aug 01, 2012
the two tips i can give u on not getting robbed are;
1. do not travel on highway but 'low-way'
2. pray u dont meet them on the road if u decide to travel.
@OP, ur topic shud av bn 'tips for surviving armed robbery attacks on highway'
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 01, 2012
well my wish and prayer is 2 never encounter a thing of such...both @ home and on the highway, till I retire from the surface of earth. Finito! smiley
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by SpaceAngel: 12:45pm On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva: Don't also forget that most of this robbers use juju and they will detect if you're trying to hide something from them.
Are you serious or joking?
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by pheesayor(m): 12:53pm On Aug 01, 2012
Was coming from Uyo on saturday and shortly before getting to that by-pass we got news that robbers are in front, luckily policemen were nearby. They drove there and signaled us to proceed. The tips above are nice but your state of mind at that very moment might not make you think of those
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by akpanbaba: 12:57pm On Aug 01, 2012
If you are alone,just pull over and immediately ask them for a stick of cigarrete and also tell them that you are in the same line of business but your location is eg BAUCHI-YOBE ROAD ROBBERY COMMAND OR KATSINA-KEBBI RD ROBBERY COMMAND,depending on the location of the operation.If they ask " how business for that side?.Just tell them that you are not doing well because the police is troubling your gang.
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by Afam4eva(m): 12:57pm On Aug 01, 2012
SpaceAngel:
Are you serious or joking?
I'm dead serious. I heard it directly from a repented armed robber.
Re: Tips To Avoid Getting Robbed On The Highway While Traveling by queensmith: 12:57pm On Aug 01, 2012
Travelling in that country is almost impossible- I swear I've been thinking of travelling from london to abuja back to london then lagos just because I don't want to fly their dodgy domestic planes or risk getting robbed. What kind of life? *sighs*

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abuja Metro Rail To Operate Free For Two Months / There Are 744 Potholes On 9 Major Roads In Festac - Twitter User / Living In Croatia - Work And Study Route

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.