Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? (2050 Views)

Gays Throw Excrement At Xtians And Wipe Their Anuses With Pages Of The Bible / How Do Xtians Explain That The Book Of Jude Quotes The Apocryphal Book Of Enoch? / What Bible Passages Keep You Going And Strong! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Logicbwoy: 3:01pm On Aug 01, 2012
22 years a catholic and I never saw/heard a controversial bible quote in the 3 readings that are read out during catholic masses.

Even within those 22 years, there were times that I went to pentecostal churches when I was staying with relatives. Never any controversial passages used.

Examples of controversial verses;
-“I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)
-Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)
- "Samar'ia shall bear her guilt, because she has rebelled against her God; they shall fall by the sword, their little ones shall be dashed in pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open." (Hosea 13:16)
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by EvilBrain1(m): 4:31pm On Aug 01, 2012
What's controversial about the 3 verses? They all look pretty clear-cut to me.

Women shouldn't never be senior to men and should STFU in church. Slaves should keep their heads down no matter how cruel their masters are. And the Samarians have misbehaved so God is going to have them killed violently; their babies will be bludgeoned and their pregnant women gutted.

Which part don't you understand?
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Aug 01, 2012
Lol @ evilbrain

Controversial verses are those about the talking donkey, the whale submarine (Jonah), and the unforgivable sin against the holy ghost...

For animal right activists, those unfortunate possessed pigs that got drowned..
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Logicbwoy: 5:35pm On Aug 01, 2012
musKeeto: Lol @ evilbrain

Controversial verses are those about the talking donkey, the whale submarine (Jonah), and the unforgivable sin against the holy ghost...

For animal right activists, those unfortunate possessed pigs that got drowned..

Guy, e be like say you don become spiritual humanist hindu
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Logicbwoy: 5:36pm On Aug 01, 2012
Evil Brain: What's controversial about the 3 verses? They all look pretty clear-cut to me.

Women shouldn't never be senior to men and should STFU in church. Slaves should keep their heads down no matter how cruel their masters are. And the Samarians have misbehaved so God is going to have them killed violently; their babies will be bludgeoned and their pregnant women gutted.

Which part don't you understand?

LMAO
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by ijawkid(m): 5:46pm On Aug 01, 2012
I and GOSHEN have and had explained those verses to u a million times but u always stick to ur opinion.......

Its very wrong bro......

Ur lookin @ those verses with a skeptic eye not with an eye that seeks understanding....
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Logicbwoy: 6:03pm On Aug 01, 2012
ijawkid: I and GOSHEN have and had explained those verses to u a million times but u always stick to ur opinion.......

Its very wrong bro......

Ur lookin @ those verses with a skeptic eye not with an eye that seeks understanding....

Really? Explain it!
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Aug 01, 2012
Logicbwoy:

Guy, e be like say you don become spiritual humanist hindu
Lmao.. something dey worry you...
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by ijawkid(m): 6:53pm On Aug 01, 2012
Logicbwoy:

Really? Explain it!

Again?? Lol...

would it still make sense to u if I start explaining all over again??
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 01, 2012
@ijawkid: u fit explain my own.. please.. embarassed
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by okeyxyz(m): 7:08pm On Aug 01, 2012
@logicbwoy, What's controversial about the verses??
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Logicbwoy: 7:12pm On Aug 01, 2012
okeyxyz: @logicbwoy, What's controversial about the verses??

Apparently, you're a sexist bigot and a murderer to see nothing wrong in the verses
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by ijawkid(m): 8:07pm On Aug 01, 2012
Oboy I aint no sexist....

Ur view of those scriptures is so much distorted....

Like I said no amount of explanation will make u change ur view....

U hate God and what ever he has to say......

Even when GOD commands that husbands should love there wives like there own body u'll still find some fault with it......

What more can 1 do??
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Delafruita(m): 8:21pm On Aug 01, 2012
ijawkid: Oboy I aint no sexist....

Ur view of those scriptures is so much distorted....

Like I said no amount of explanation will make u change ur view....

U hate God and what ever he has to say......

Even when GOD commands that husbands should love there wives like there own body u'll still find some fault with it......

What more can 1 do??
the reality is there is no sensible explanation.the real fear of christians is this-if these verses are debated with logic,and the message put side by side the present day reality,it will rubbish the claims of the bible been written by inspiration of a god who is all-knowing.if god inspired paul to suppress women and slaves,didnt the all-knowing god know that slavery will one day be abolished and women will hold a conference in beijing and then begin to advocate their own rights?
it will make christians face the reality that paul wrote his epistles based on the prevailing culture of his time and he didnt receive any instruction from the spirit.he simply wrote what he believed was right.
christians cant face this reality so those verses aren't discussed at bible study
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Logicbwoy: 8:29pm On Aug 01, 2012
Delafruita:
the reality is there is no sensible explanation.the real fear of christians is this-if these verses are debated with logic,and the message put side by side the present day reality,it will rubbish the claims of the bible been written by inspiration of a god who is all-knowing.if god inspired paul to suppress women and slaves,didnt the all-knowing god know that slavery will one day be abolished and women will hold a conference in beijing and then begin to advocate their own rights?
it will make christians face the reality that paul wrote his epistles based on the prevailing culture of his time and he didnt receive any instruction from the spirit.he simply wrote what he believed was right.
christians cant face this reality so those verses aren't discussed at bible study

Delafruita, carry go!
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by ijawkid(m): 9:21pm On Aug 01, 2012
Delafruita:

Lol....

That scripture is a problem because ur myopic as not to see its real application...

Now can u mention just 1 apostle who oppressed or supressed women....

Did u ever read were paul oppressed women??

Please show me if u got any.......

If u can't understand the principle of headship that fosters orderliness then there's nothing I can do to help u.......

That scripture means women aint suppose to take d lead were men are.......simple!!!!!!!!!!!!

Headship arrangement......

I culd remember quoting 1 corinthains 11:3 to show u what head ship means and how it contributes to peace and orderliness in any institution.......

U sound like one who will not be able to keep a job since u wuld always not respect headship......

I reminded u of Gods admonision to husbands to ""love there wives as there own body"" but u wuld never appreciate that,..u'll rather hang on scriptures which ofcus u have no clear understanding of just to mock God....

I could remember asking sometime ago who the head of ur family shuld be when u do have one........
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Logicbwoy: 9:44pm On Aug 01, 2012
ijawkid:

Lol....

That scripture is a problem because ur myopic as not to see its real application...

If u can't understand the principle of headship that fosters orderliness then there's nothing I can do to help u.......

That scripture means women aint suppose to take d lead were men are.......simple!!!!!!!!!!!!

I culd remember quoting 1 corinthains 11:3 to show u what head ship means and how it contributes to peace and orderliness in any institution.......

U sound like one who will not be able to keep a job since u wuld always not respect headship......

I reminded u of Gods admonision to husbands to ""love there wives as there own body"" but u wuld never appreciate that,..u'll rather hang on scriptures which ofcus u have no clear understanding of just to mock God....

I could remember asking sometime ago who the head of ur family shuld be when u do have one........

You sound like a muslim defending slavery. "Muhammad sold slave but he was good because he freed some slaves". One good action does not reverse a bad one.
Paul supported sexism by saying that women should be silent in churches. Get over it. He is a sexist
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 01, 2012
ijawkid:

Lol....

"It is even more damaging for a minister to say foolish things than to do them." ------- Cardinal De Retz

What you SAY, most times, has more weight than what you DO. Your utterances sum up the essence of your understanding and outlook.

My brother, if you tell yourself the truth, you will easily arrive at the fact that the Bible, as we know it, is a collection of books written by man. There are so many things you cannot reconcile. Yes, I just came back from church 20 minutes ago.

Actually, I do believe in God - the evidence of design in nature is overwhelming.
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by ijawkid(m): 10:37pm On Aug 01, 2012
Logicbwoy:

You sound like a muslim defending slavery. "Muhammad sold slave but he was good because he freed some slaves". One good action does not reverse a bad one.
Paul supported sexism by saying that women should be silent in churches. Get over it. He is a sexist

Paul isn't a sexist.....ur mind is what is telling u that..........

Paul told 3 groups of persons to keep silent in 1 corinthians 14.....but because u just wanna find faults with d scriptures(which ofcus is ur aim) u picked up the one addressing women....

For the last time I'ma explain...let's consider a whole lot of things now........

) In order for u to understand this correctly, it is helpful to consider the context of Paul’s counsel.
In 1 Corinthians chapter 14, Paul discussed matters relating to meetings of the Christian congregation. He described what should be discussed at such meetings and recommended how they should be conducted. (1 Corinthians 14:1-6, 26-34) Further, he stressed the objective of Christian gatherings—“that the congregation may receive upbuilding.”—1 Corinthians 14:4, 5, 12, 26.
Paul’s instruction to “keep silent” appears three times in 1 Corinthians chapter 14. Each time, it is addressed to a different group in the congregation, but in all instances, it is given for the same reason—that “all things take place decently and by arrangement.”—1 Corinthians 14:40.
First, Paul said: “If someone speaks in a tongue, let it be limited to two or three at the most, and in turns; and let someone translate. But if there be no translator, let him keep silent in the congregation and speak to himself and to God.” (1 Corinthians 14:27, 28) That did not mean that such a person was never to speak at meetings but that there were times when he should be silent. After all, the objective of the meetings—to upbuild one another—would not be attained if he spoke in a language no one understood.
Second, Paul stated: “Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others discern the meaning. But if there is a revelation to another one while sitting there, let the first one keep silent.” This meant, not that the first prophet was to refrain from speaking at meetings, but that he had to be silent at times. Then the one having the miraculous revelation could address the congregation, and the objective of the meeting—that “all be encouraged”—would be achieved.—1 Corinthians 14:26, 29-31.
Third, Paul addressed Christian women only, stating: “Let the women keep silent in the congregations, for it is not permitted for them to speak, but let them be in subjection.” (1 Corinthians 14:34) Why did Paul give this command to women? To preserve order in the congregation. He says: “If, then, they want to learn something, let them question their own husbands at home, for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in a congregation.”—1 Corinthians 14:35.
Perhaps some women were challenging what was said in the congregation. Paul’s counsel helped Christian women to shun such a disorderly spirit and humbly accept their position within Yahweh’s headship arrangement, particularly with regard to their husbands. (1 Corinthians 11:3) In addition, by keeping silent, women would show that they did not aspire to be teachers in the congregation. When he wrote to Timothy, Paul showed that it would be improper for a woman to assume the role of teacher: “I do not permit a woman to teach, or to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence.”—1 Timothy 2:12.
Does that mean that a Christian woman must never speak during a congregation meeting? No. In Paul’s day, there were occasions when Christian women, perhaps impelled by holy spirit, prayed or prophesied in the congregation. On such occasions, they acknowledged their position by wearing a head covering. (1 Corinthians 11:5) Further, in Paul’s day and today, women along with men are urged to make a public declaration of their hope. (Hebrews 10:23-25)
Hence, Christian women “keep silent” by refraining from trying to assume the role of a male and instruct the congregation. They do not raise argumentative questions that could challenge the authority of those who teach. By fulfilling their proper role in the congregation, Christian women greatly contribute toward an atmosphere of peace in which “all things [at congregation gatherings] take place for upbuilding.”—1 Corinthians 14:26, 33.

Like I always told you, for sanity and orderliness to be maintained respect for headship should be maintained….there is no society or body or parastatal as the case may be that stays closely knit that doesn’t observe the principles of headship…….

Paul respected women a lot even more than u do.........
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by ijawkid(m): 10:45pm On Aug 01, 2012
So what's ur point as regards HOSEA 13:16?
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Logicbwoy: 10:55pm On Aug 01, 2012
ijawkid: So what's ur point as regards HOSEA 13:16?

You love killing little children and gutting pregnant women
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Niflheim(m): 11:15pm On Aug 01, 2012
@RICHFELLA,SO TRUE!!!THE BOOK OF CHRONICLES IS NO BETTER THAN THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA,THE BOOK OF KINGS IS NO BETTER THAN THE LION KING AND THE BOOK OF JUDGES IS NO BETTER THAN JUDGE DREDD!!!
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by ijawkid(m): 11:43pm On Aug 01, 2012
Logicbwoy:
You love killing little children and gutting pregnant women

Now have u sat down to ask urself who actually carried out the killing of the samarian women and children??

Go back and find out who did....

Was it God??

Or the assyrians??

Go do some research.......

Remember God just told d samarians what wuld befall them due to there disobedience.....

But who carried out the act??

Logic boy I'm asking you....
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Logicbwoy: 11:55pm On Aug 01, 2012
ijawkid:

Now have u sat down to ask urself who actually carried out the killing of the samarian women and children??

Was it God??

Or the assyrians??

Remember God just told d samarians what wuld befall them due to there disobedience.....

I dunno sad
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Delafruita(m): 12:06am On Aug 02, 2012
ijawkid:

Was it God??

Or the assyrians??

seriously,you never cease to amaze me.irrespective of who killed those peeps,the fact is god's creatures killed some of god's creatures and god chose to support one side of his creation against the other.all this stuff sounds so childish and naive am amazed people still believe in those bible stories
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Jbgurl: 12:26am On Aug 02, 2012
u should never read d bible judging on ur own understanding.its not a novel.u read d bible asking d holy spirit 2help and give u divine undastandin of d word
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Nobody: 1:22am On Aug 02, 2012
perhaps if you didnt derail threads there would be christians here debating this very theological issues like we used to do back then when this section wasnt infected with immature noise makers who think they are smart because they bleat that God doesnt exist.
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Logicbwoy: 1:44am On Aug 02, 2012
davidylan: perhaps if you didnt derail threads there would be christians here debating this very theological issues like we used to do back then when this section wasnt infected with immature noise makers who think they are smart because they bleat that God doesnt exist.

Shut up. There is nothing to debate. Those verses are evil.
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Nobody: 1:50am On Aug 02, 2012
Logicbwoy:

Shut up. There is nothing to debate. Those verses are evil.

Then why set up the thread in the first place? Yawn.

You wasted all this energy just to tell us you think some verses in the bible are evil? Na wa o.
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Logicbwoy: 2:16am On Aug 02, 2012
davidylan:

Then why set up the thread in the first place? Yawn.

You wasted all this energy just to tell us you think some verses in the bible are evil? Na wa o.

I just wanted to see whether some christians would lie to defend those verses.

Even you could not try to be an apologist on such.
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Nobody: 5:54am On Aug 02, 2012
Logicbwoy:

I just wanted to see whether some christians would lie to defend those verses.

Even you could not try to be an apologist on such.

You would have been correct if you had said no one was bothered to indulge your folly anymore.
Re: Why Is It Tha Churches Never Help Xtians Explain Controversial Bible Passages? by Logicbwoy: 8:20am On Aug 02, 2012
davidylan:

You would have been correct if you had said no one was bothered to indulge your folly anymore.

Spin and deflect

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atheists: 3 Very Easy Questions For You / Dont Use External Drive / Top Reasons Many Christian Ladies May Never Marry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.