Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,124 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? (4573 Views)

Chinese Man Rocking Yoruba Traditional Attire (Photos) / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria / Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Attire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 01, 2012
Why are our formal wears still modelled after that of foreigners?
I'm talking about the clothing items that are considered a necessity in Nigerian places of work, for instance in the court of law where a robe is worn and in banks where wearing a suit is required. These attires, apart from not being part of our culture, tend to be uncomfortable when worn. Nigeria is almost sitting on the equator and the weather is hot on average almost all through the year so why can't we relegate the heavy clothing and promote any of our lighter native attires as formal wears?
Most of our court rooms have inadequate ventilation and judges and barristers are supposed to submit themselves to the extreme discomfort and heat of their black robes in the name of upholding traditions. Even the foreign country we copied these attires from, allows taking off the robe in court when the weather is hot so why do we wear robes when the weather is hot almost all through the year?
Schools are not left out as teachers are required to wear similar formal wears and only put on traditional Nigerian clothing items on Fridays.
How can we claim that our cultures have any value or prestige when we still do things like this?
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Holimykel: 11:16pm On Aug 01, 2012
This is to differentiate who is who from the public
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Aug 01, 2012
Holimykel: This is to differentiate who is who from the public
You didn't get the point I was trying to make. I was asking why we copy what foreigners wear instead of using our local cloth materials to develop formal attire.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 1:19am On Aug 02, 2012
Stop using the computer too o to promote your Africaness. grin

But I'm all for the ban on the lawyer's wig. grin Doesn't belong in this century.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 1:24am On Aug 02, 2012
stillwater: Stop using the computer too o to promote your Africaness. grin

But I'm all for the ban on the lawyer's wig. grin Doesn't belong in this century.
Using the computer is very different from wearing heavy uncomfortable apparel in hot weather. The computer is a necessity and the fact that we use it does not mean that we do not value our culture. Same cannot be said of those clothes.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 1:29am On Aug 02, 2012
fellis: Why are our formal wears still modelled after that of foreigners?
I'm talking about the clothing items that are considered a necessity in Nigerian places of work, for instance in the court of law where a robe is worn and in banks where wearing a suit is required. These attires, apart from not being part of our culture, tend to be uncomfortable when worn. Nigeria is almost sitting on the equator and the weather is hot on average almost all through the year so why can't we relegate the heavy clothing and promote any of our lighter native attires as formal wears?
Most of our court rooms have inadequate ventilation and judges and barristers are supposed to submit themselves to extreme discomfort and heat of their black robes in the name of upholding traditions. Even the foreign country we copied these attires from, allow taking off the robe in court when the weather is hot so why do we wear robes when the weather is hot almost all through the year?
Schools are not left out as teachers are required to wear similar formal wears and only put on traditional Nigerian clothing items on Fridays.
How can we claim that our cultures have any value or prestige when we still do things like this?

interesting considering this is someone who has no problem with muslim women wearing black hoods in the extreme heat all in the name of arab religions. The hypocrisy is astounding...
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 1:34am On Aug 02, 2012
davidylan:

interesting considering this is someone who has no problem with muslim women wearing black hoods in the extreme heat all in the name of arab religions. The hypocrisy is astounding...
look hia dawudu, this isn't the religion section where you fight your religious wars. Stop derailing and focus on the topic. angry
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 1:40am On Aug 02, 2012
fellis:
look hia dawudu, this isn't the religion section where you fight your religious wars. Stop derailing and focus on the topic. angry

I'm not talking religion either neither am i derailing the thread... just wondering why those who complain loudly about lawyers wearing black attire in stifling heat cannot see the wood for the trees when they blindly defend wearing of black robes by muslim women in the same heat all in the name of religion. when next you want to launch large rocks, just remember your own house is made of glass too.

You cannot excoriate others for "upholding tradition" while clinging desperately to yours.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 1:44am On Aug 02, 2012
davidylan:

I'm not talking religion either neither am i derailing the thread... just wondering why those who complain loudly about lawyers wearing black attire in stifling heat cannot see the wood for the trees when they blindly defend wearing of black robes by muslim women in the same heat all in the name of religion. when next you want to launch large rocks, just remember your own house is made of glass too.

You cannot excoriate others for "upholding tradition" while clinging desperately to yours.
I don't know when you saw me defending what you claim that I blindly defend.
Also, enough of the religious talk, you've derailed this thread enough.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 1:45am On Aug 02, 2012
fellis:
Using the computer is very different from wearing heavy uncomfortable apparel in hot weather. The computer is a necessity and the fact that we use it does not mean that we do not value our culture. Same cannot be said of those clothes.

Really? grin Our clothes aren't even that comfy. Agbada, gele etc. The materials we use to even make them are even as foreign as you can get, lol.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 1:45am On Aug 02, 2012
davidylan: You know damn well i am a fat slob, if i am standing in the Snow perspiring

Look at this Fat Block Headed Nasty Lookin Niqqah....^
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 1:47am On Aug 02, 2012
fellis:
You didn't get the point I was trying to make. I was asking why we copy what foreigners wear instead of using our local cloth materials to develop formal attire.

If only you also wondered why you copy what arabs wear. Oh well...
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 1:55am On Aug 02, 2012
davidylan: I am a big old Sloppy Sloth of a man, Because of my Weight problems i have problems maintaining an erecction.

[img]http://1.bp..com/-vxWY-vhV6e8/TqQ3JQP2P-I/AAAAAAAABuI/TGY8kyTeEiY/s1600/Hippopotamus.jpg[/img]
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 1:56am On Aug 02, 2012
stillwater:

Really? grin Our clothes aren't even that comfy. Agbada, gele etc. The materials we use to even make them are even as foreign as you can get, lol.
We have heavy cloth materials quite alright but of course I wasn't talking about substituting with those ones. There are lighter materials like Adire or Ankara. Some types of lace materials are also light.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 1:59am On Aug 02, 2012
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 2:00am On Aug 02, 2012
fellis:
lololol grin

I guess "derailing threads" = not supporting my personal stance no? Hypocrites.

On a sidenote... i guess the mister over there is simply craving a little attention... quite odd that a guy obsessed about weight issues has a foto of 2 obese individuals on his profile. I guess some just have a problem with being largely treated like the unimportant nonentities they truly are. Oh dear... a few more words wasted on an empty suit.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 2:02am On Aug 02, 2012
davidylan:

I guess "derailing threads" = not supporting my personal stance no? Hypocrites.
Lwtmb. grin Abeg stop crying. Sorry I laughed at your picture.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 2:04am On Aug 02, 2012
fellis:
Lwtmb. grin Abeg stop crying. Sorry I laughed at your picture.

Crying? Not at all... its water off ducks back for me. I just like to point out the glaring hypocrisy inherent in the nature's of folks like you. Its derailing a thread when you dont agree with the comment then a lwtmb when its poked at someone else you prefer not to like.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 2:07am On Aug 02, 2012
davidylan:

Crying? Not at all... its water off ducks back for me. I just like to point out the glaring hypocrisy inherent in the nature's of folks like you. Its derailing a thread when you dont agree with the comment then a lwtmb when its poked at someone else you prefer not to like.

lol stop crying and continue with the topic ya fat slob.

Dude is 387 pounds of emotional breasst milk. Stop Whining.

"Bro Why you Laughing at me?"

Sound like a child.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 2:07am On Aug 02, 2012
davidylan:
I just like to point out the glaring hypocrisy inherent in the nature's of folks like you.
Are you sleep-writing or something?
davidylan: Its derailing a thread when you dont agree with the comment then a lwtmb when its poked at someone else you prefer not to like.
Oh come off it. I like everyone, religious zealot or not.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 2:09am On Aug 02, 2012
fellis:
Are you sleep-writing or something?

Oh come off it. I like everyone, religious zealot or not.

Sleep-writing? Oh sorry, i guess you've never misplaced an apostrophe before.

Sure... you do love religious zealots too... i suppose its not too hard to love your own people.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 2:11am On Aug 02, 2012
davidylan:

The fat slob has a point, I concur.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 2:12am On Aug 02, 2012
davidylan:
Sure... you do love religious zealots too... i suppose its not too hard to love your own people.
Whatever do you mean?
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by kandiikane(m): 2:14am On Aug 02, 2012
Royal is just jealous.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 2:15am On Aug 02, 2012
^David's wife has entered the building.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 2:18am On Aug 02, 2012
True, i always envy guys who have to take 7 different heart medication to avoid cardiac arrest prior to engaging in the simple act of Going To Sleep

i do however agree with the fat slob of lard's point of view, regarding the topic.
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by kandiikane(m): 2:21am On Aug 02, 2012
It's called muscles.
angry
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 2:33am On Aug 02, 2012
kandiikane: It's called muscles.
angry

Oh you mean muscles like these?

Oh ight......
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by kandiikane(m): 2:36am On Aug 02, 2012
LMAO!

Son of a ------
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 2:38am On Aug 02, 2012
kandiikane: LMAO!

Son of a ------

How come i can't find you in that Group. Give me a Hint
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 2:59am On Aug 02, 2012
Re: Why This Choice Of Formal Attire? by Nobody: 3:01am On Aug 02, 2012
Nope not the same nose...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buy Horse At Cheap Price / Happy Independence Day Nigeria (with The Most Beautiful Images Ever). / Why Egun Language Is Dying In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.