Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates (30272 Views)

Delta State Civil Servive Commission Recruiting, All Field(OND,HND,BSC, etc) / First Batch Of Dangote Truck Drivers To Graduate In January 2013 / Acquiring A Degree With Hnd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Onegai(f): 8:33pm On Aug 02, 2012
payless:

I have met a bachelor degree holder form University of Ibadan who happens to do menial job in New Jersey. At the same time, I know of many Nigerians with bachelor degrees from various Nigerian higher institutions that do menial jobs.

My point is that, Nigerians who refuse to take a cleaning job in Nigeria wouldn't mind taking the same job in western countries. I guess everyone like to wear shirts and ties.

A Bachelor degree holder from University of Ibadan is not employable in the US. Trust me, even your UNILAG degree is not employable fresh off the boat. Why else do you have to write TOEFL for masters, if they assumed your degree was on the same level as their own degrees? Don't they know you speak English? Do you know you have to take English as a Second Language class for one term if you come from Nigerian secondary school and want to write SATs? They don't respect your education, hence nigerians started running there and hitting the ground doing masters so that they would be considered employable after that in the US. My brother is an engineer trained in the US, when he went to see his peers in UNILAG, and saw their coursework, he laughed. Even Mexico is ranked higher than a Nigerian degree without international masters to back up. Tell your friend to apply for anything more than Teller at Bank of America, let's see what happens.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Fhemmmy: 8:35pm On Aug 02, 2012
houstonia: Mehn this is way different from pride @payless. There is substantial securty in the US, the pay is respectable. There are good roads. Over there you have more stress which is normal in driving but less risk. Omo think about nigerian conditions for a momment you go understand weting guys dey try talk here. Abi you think sey riving wey we dey talk na to come drive Dangote himself? Omo na trucks o, giant dump trucks, heavy earth moving machines.

It is not just about that, it is about people that decides to do something about their state of life, and dont wanna wait for hand out from other people . . anyone that has no job MUST be willing to accept anything that is Legal to earning a living
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by ajf(m): 8:37pm On Aug 02, 2012
If the pay is good then why wouldn't I apply?? Its better than sitting down at home and staring at your father's face. Half a loaf they say is better than none.
Then like someone rightly said,this could a stepping stone to greater opportunities for a wise,dedicated and hardworking person.
Don't blame Dangote,blame your stu.pid leaders they are the cause of this...
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Wallie(m): 8:40pm On Aug 02, 2012
Onegai:

All the naija boys I know doing unskilled labour abroad for long periods of time are hustling either because
1. Dem no get paper, so they can't get a legal paying job
2. Dem no get education, so they are unemployable and if they were in Nigeria, they'd be selling spare-parts in Alaba
3. Dem need 3 jobs to support mummy, daddy, sister, brother, wife, 4 children, 2 girlfriends, numerous friends and hanger-ons that they have to show off to when they come for christmas in Naija

When I was in college, I once had a job preparing Bill of Lading and Manifests for truck drivers. One of the truck drivers was a Nigerian college graduate named Chris. However, he did own the box truck he drove.

Onegai:
I am yet to see any engineer or doctor in the US driving truck without the above reasons. Most will start their own business.

Where will the money for starting a business come from? How about those that started a business and lost all their money; where will they get money from? Do you have any idea what your turnover in a business needs to be before you can have enough money to pay for your necessities and bills while maintaining or increasing your principal investment?
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 8:41pm On Aug 02, 2012
Fhemmmy: It amazes me when i read stuff like what i have read on this thread.
Lots of the Nigerian graduates has no job, they have no means of taking care of themselves and some still depends on Daddy and Mom for their daily bread, now a man is giving them a job and he is a bad person.
Most of the graduates will go to western world to do worse jobs, but God forbid if they do same on Nigerian soil

Now i see why dangote would love to create such platform for graduates...because of people like you who can't even speak good english...
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by andyanders: 8:45pm On Aug 02, 2012
iykeG: How much can he pay?

500k per month with other incentives.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Niyisnoop(m): 8:45pm On Aug 02, 2012
This is madness! 4 years in d University only 2 b hired as a truck driver!
Itz 4 Nigerians 2 stand up and fight!
I'm ready 2 fight dz fight, call me if therez a group existing 2 fight dz madness in naija

1 Like

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by OtunbaGm: 8:47pm On Aug 02, 2012
As a graduate,I was once driving a truck at a former job more or less like a. Driver/salesman.

Today I have a driver driving me,so why not start small and the gist is that truck drivers make loads of money even more than people working in banks.

Example, a truck driver might load company goods to jos from lagos,on his return trip, he might load for himself and offload at ibadan and make 80k on a trip. Most truck drivers are well to do!
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 02, 2012
My fellow jobless graduates of great degree and wonderful learning from a country where there is so much employment, pls dont apply. i know exxon mobil, shell, agip , kpmg and total are chasing all of you around begging u to come work for them..... unfortunately not all of us come from homes where after 5 yrs in school, u still sit around waiting for hand outs....pls feel free not to apply. that will create more chances for me and people who know that today you may drive trucks, tomorrow you may own trucks...just so you know, the reason you went to school is for you to adapt to any condition and make the best of any condition you see your self,
having said that, if you live in the US and you feel you know naija very well,then you should know that whatever policy that works in the international community cannot work here.... so if dangote wants msc holders to wipe his assss and you feel you've got the asss wiping balls and the money is commiserate withe work you are doing, go ahead that is why it is called democracy....
BTW my fellow lazy graduates, where were u when he was recruiting for managers and IT people and accountants, economist, engineers and all that..... wht? your fantastic degree was not accepted?
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 02, 2012
Onegai:

Hello there. Let me explain how Social policy and Economics work. Please take a seat.

In every society. there are small jobs and big jobs. Society is balanced by a proportionate amount of each. What happens is that a CEO hires Managers, who hire employees. Then the educated hire the skilled workers. Skilled workers hire unskilled workers. When that happens, money and wealth is spread round, because everyone is employed, at their own unique level, and has spending power. Thus the country has a good Cost of Living.

So when someone dumb slowpoke decides to hire the educated to do the jobs of the skilled workers, he deprives the skilled workers of jobs, which in turn make the skilled workers compete with the unskilled workers for their jobs. And no, contrary to your Pastor's optimism, manna will not fall from Heaven to feed the now unemployed unskilled workers. Who take to robbing, anarchy (that's a big word, so look it up) and kidnapping and whatsoever to survive. Sound familiar??
Yup, that's what happened to Nigeria. The truck driver is now at home hungry because a graduate is doing his job and the CEO, who then deprives the graduate the ability to earn his worth of years of schooling back from society, is CHEATING the graduate of that. Yes, we can all start business, but that would take more jobs away and increase the competition amongst skilled sellers. Go to Balogun, for every Kuddy Cosmetics (a big distributor), there are 30 small shops who barely sell one lipstick. Yet the owners have to pay dues, rents,
schoolfees, eat...

"Well, they can go to Agriculture", I can hear you say. Absolutely. How many farms exist that can pay unskilled workers enough to live on more than $2/day (Nigeria's current Cost of living)? And those farms also are now accepting job resumes from skilled workers, who might have been driving trucks in the city, but graduates are too busy (with your encouragement) applying for secretary, customer service representative, salesperson and truck driver.

A society must have a blend of graduates, skilled workers and unskilled workers. That way, everyone gets a fair chance to survive. The rest is upto them.

Think about the points I raised above. Thank you.

signed, a humble female engineer, without a job, whose Dad made sure she watched (amongst several other educative programs) CNN Business with him as a kid (while her peers were dating and pinging) because he knew that the schools would NEVER teach her Economics, Social Studies and Policy making. He was appalled at the low level of education amongst the best graduates he was constantly being asked to hire.

Nice write up. But let us put theories aside.This is Reality we are talking about here.

I saw that you mentioned Agriculture. Let me give you a clue.

Apart from my other businesses, I saw an opportunity and went into waste management. Got some almajiri's around and employed them into collecting waste from people's homes and helping them tidy up their compounds while raking in the bucks. We use these waste and turn them into compost manure and supply to farmers. We help the environment in the process and help rid off farms and our foods chemicalized fertilizers. These young chaps go to market to learn machine ,bicycle parts after and use their savings to start up their own shops. They have practically taken over these line of business.

I could go on an on about potential things these "graduates" can go into but may be too proud to bend down and pick the money.

Been looking for a good engineering graduate that can do some design and that i can invest in. But is either they don't have in depth knowledge of Engineering Design,let alone calculations or they want to work in the bank or some obscure oil company.

Now because of my love for real engineering , i study environmental engineering on the side - this is why i am online most of the time reading up materials while tendering to my businesses out there.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by onatisi(m): 8:56pm On Aug 02, 2012
now it is obvious gej is not our problems , nigerian youths are just too proud

1 Like

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Fhemmmy: 8:56pm On Aug 02, 2012
onatisi: now it is obvious gej is not our problems , nigerian youths are just too proud

Good one
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Onegai(f): 8:56pm On Aug 02, 2012
Wallie:

Where will the money for starting a business come from? How about those that started a business and lost all their money; where will they get money from? Do you have any idea what your turnover in a business needs to be before you can have enough money to pay for your necessities and bills while maintaining or increasing your principal investment?

My point is that in extreme circumstances, the educated took whatever job was available in order to survive. Once they had stabilised, they usually branched out. Your friend Chris owns a truck which he most likely uses for personal side jobs. The Dangote truck drivers don't own an equity in their truck and can be fired tomorrow, leaving them where they were, unless they have enough money to start their own trucking business. And if they had that money, well, why are they then being employed by Dangote?

If it was a Drivers' managers' scheme, sure, I'd support this. If Dangote is trying to use this as a platform to show that not everyone needs to attend tertiary educational institutions to succeed in this life, I support. Because there are too many graduates competing for the same jobs and the same resources, when there should be an even number of educateds, skilled workers and unskilled workers. But is he?

Anyone wanting to fight this, don't kill yourself. On the anniversary of Fela, we are still "suffering and smiling". A country where foreigners will treat you badly on your own soil and you will be silent, where they will deport you from another country and no-one will do more than rattle a sabre in a newspaper and be silent. Go and apply for UK or US visa in Ghana or Gambia, that's when you'll know how low Nigerians are taken by foreigners.

Yet we are all suffering and smiling.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Onegai(f): 9:00pm On Aug 02, 2012
Olodostein:

Nice write up. But let us put theories aside.This is Reality we are talking about here.

I saw that you mentioned Agriculture. Let me give you a clue.

Apart from my other businesses, I saw an opportunity and went into waste management. Got some almajiri's around and employed them into collecting waste from people's homes and helping them tidy up their compounds while raking in the bucks. We use these waste and turn them into compost manure and supply to farmers. We help the environment in the process and help rid off farms and our foods chemicalized fertilizers. These young chaps go to market to learn machine ,bicycle parts after and use their savings to start up their own shops. They have practically taken over these line of business.

I could go on an on about potential things these "graduates" can go into but may be too proud to bend down and pick the money.

Been looking for a good engineering graduate that can do some design and that i can invest in. But is either they don't have in depth knowledge of Engineering Design,let alone calculations or they want to work in the bank or some obscure oil company.

Now because of my love for real engineering , i study environmental engineering on the side - this is why i am online most of the time reading up materials while tendering to my businesses out there.

Hello, as an Environmental Engineer who was into Waste management, worked for a waste management firm and is still studying international standards of waste management policy making (please clap for me grin grin grin ) , I applaud your efforts. I tried supporting communities like yours and tried getting the government to support you guys. It didn't work out. What do you need in an Engineer? I'm sorta free right now...(yep I'm jobless)
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by photons(m): 9:04pm On Aug 02, 2012
as far as i know no nigerian university offers B.Sc IN TRUCK DRIVING... on a serious note.. its beta to be a truck driver and pay your bills than *mama thank ma*..
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by houstonia(m): 9:05pm On Aug 02, 2012
dadaic:

Now i see why dangote would love to create such platform for graduates...because of people like you who can't even speak good english...
. Lwkmd! I love nairaland. Realtalk @dadaic.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 9:05pm On Aug 02, 2012
yeah I said it..... God bless dangote

ARES: My fellow jobless graduates of great degree and wonderful learning from a country where there is so much employment, pls dont apply. i know exxon mobil, shell, agip , kpmg and total are chasing all of you around begging u to come work for them..... unfortunately not all of us come from homes where after 5 yrs in school, u still sit around waiting for hand outs....pls feel free not to apply. that will create more chances for me and people who know that today you may drive trucks, tomorrow you may own trucks...just so you know, the reason you went to school is for you to adapt to any condition and make the best of any condition you see your self,
having said that, if you live in the US and you feel you know naija very well,then you should know that whatever policy that works in the international community cannot work here.... so if dangote wants msc holders to wipe his assss and you feel you've got the asss wiping balls and the money is commiserate withe work you are doing, go ahead that is why it is called democracy....
BTW my fellow lazy graduates, where were u when he was recruiting for managers and IT people and accountants, economist, engineers and all that..... wht? your fantastic degree was not accepted?
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Wallie(m): 9:17pm On Aug 02, 2012
Onegai:
Hello there. Let me explain how Social policy and Economics work. Please take a seat…

So when someone dumb slowpoke decides to hire the educated to do the jobs of the skilled workers, he deprives the skilled workers of jobs, which in turn make the skilled workers compete with the unskilled workers for their jobs. And no, contrary to your Pastor's optimism, manna will not fall from Heaven to feed the now unemployed unskilled workers. Who take to robbing, anarchy (that's a big word, so look it up) and kidnapping and whatsoever to survive. Sound familiar??
Yup, that's what happened to Nigeria. The truck driver is now at home hungry because a graduate is doing his job and the CEO, who then deprives the graduate the ability to earn his worth of years of schooling back from society, is CHEATING the graduate of that. Yes, we can all start business, but that would take more jobs away and increase the competition amongst skilled sellers. Go to Balogun, for every Kuddy Cosmetics (a big distributor), there are 30 small shops who barely sell one lipstick. Yet the owners have to pay dues, rents,
schoolfees, eat...

"Well, they can go to Agriculture", I can hear you say. Absolutely. How many farms exist that can pay unskilled workers enough to live on more than $2/day (Nigeria's current Cost of living)? And those farms also are now accepting job resumes from skilled workers, who might have been driving trucks in the city, but graduates are too busy (with your encouragement) applying for secretary, customer service representative, salesperson and truck driver.

A society must have a blend of graduates, skilled workers and unskilled workers. That way, everyone gets a fair chance to survive. The rest is upto them.

Think about the points I raised above. Thank you.

signed, a humble female engineer, without a job, whose Dad made sure she watched (amongst several other educative programs) CNN Business with him as a kid (while her peers were dating and pinging) because he knew that the schools would NEVER teach her Economics, Social Studies and Policy making. He was appalled at the low level of education amongst the best graduates he was constantly being asked to hire.

I initially skipped most of what you wrote but decided to read it because someone else quoted it. You miss me with your economic talk.

What you posted above will only be true if the law of supply and demand no longer works (Economics 101). As a person or businessman, you can demand whatever you want but are only going to get it if there’s supply for your demand.

In other words, if there are enough skilled jobs for graduates, then no graduate will accept Dangote’s offer and he would need to rethink his demand.
Moreover, why do you think Obama is advocating more training and education for out-of-job workers? Because low skilled jobs are forever gone and are being replaced by demands for a more skilled workforce. Just a decade ago, people with high school degrees working in manufacturing where earning middle class salaries but today, you will most likely need a college degree just to get by.

As the society becomes more advanced, the level of skill the society needs becomes more advanced. Think about what life would have been like in the 50s for engineers with no computers and what their life is like today. What was once considered advanced skill will someday become “no-skill” or norm because even a 5 year old can now do it (see computer usage).
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Onegai(f): 9:18pm On Aug 02, 2012
To all of you saying degree this, degree that, this is a good thing, quick question: If a H.ND holder from YabaTech applies for this job and a B.Sc in Mech. Engr. from UNILAG apply for this job, what do you reckon the Yabatech student's chances are? Whom do you think they'll give more weight to? Now multiply that by 200, for every School of Tech student who applies, Some B.Sc holder applies to. Do you really want me to believe that I won't accept a B.Sc over a H.ND, unless the H.ND guy is more amazing than everyone else? The only way the H.ND holders will win is if they are facing educated people who know that vehicular mechanical engineering is better taught at College of Technologies rather than Universities. It's the same reason why a masters of University of Tennessee is not as regarded as a masters from University of Michigan.

And you think is an equal and fair opportunity.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Onegai(f): 9:29pm On Aug 02, 2012
Wallie:

I initially skipped most of what you wrote but decided to read it because someone else quoted it. You miss me with your economic talk.

What you posted above will only be true if the law of supply and demand no longer works (Economics 101). As a person or businessman, you can demand whatever you want but are only going to get it if there’s supply for your demand.

In other words, if there are enough skilled jobs for graduates, then no graduate will accept Dangote’s offer and he would need to rethink his demand.
Moreover, why do you think Obama is advocating more training and education for out-of-job workers? Because low skilled jobs are forever gone and are being replaced by demands for a more skilled workforce. Just a decade ago, people with high school degrees working in manufacturing where earning middle class salaries but today, you will most likely need a college degree just to get by.

As the society becomes more advanced, the level of skill the society needs becomes more advanced. Think about what life would have been like in the 50s for engineers with no computers and what their life is like today. What was once considered advanced skill will someday become “no-skill” or norm because even a 5 year old can now do it (see computer usage).

What you are saying is very true. But Obama encouraging umeployed workers to go back to school was also an economical tactic: students cannot be on the Dole (social welfare). Social Services was over-burdened at that time with massive numbers of umeployed people, stretching USA's already stretched economy thin. So their president tried to get them off it "Go back to School", and he followed it up by fighting to cap increases on student loans' profits. So you're unemployed, stay off the dole (leave the welfare check to crazy mutha.fucker with 4 babymamas and 30 kids, I kid you not), take a loan that will resuscitate banks who are being given government money to stay afloat, make sure the loan interest doesn't over-grow and ride out the recession, until it improves and you go back to your skill level. The person who suffers the most in the Government, who has to borrow a lot from outside so that it can bankrole all this. He did this successfully. Hence, the US economy is improving, unemployment numbers are down, people have more skills, and no the jobs still don't require more skills, so most of them are applying where they left off, and the US government owes China a lot of money. It's why the Republicans and Tea partiers are fighting Obama, he has a very high deficit. But his plan worked.

In Nigeria, if you and your foreign masters get employed as a bank teller at GTB, then I go do masters, then all of us now have masters, people now start doing Ph.D to work in bank (already happening). However, no matter the technology being used behind the till, the job is basically still paying out cash and recieving cash. No special skills required.

Low Skilled jobs will never disappear. Who sold you oranges? Who sold your mum oranges as a child, who is going to sell oranges to your child, where did your great-grandparents take their excess oranges to? Heck, who takes care of your cows to produce beef, and how long can you say the Cattle rearing business has been in existence in the world (Hint: go read your bible). What special skills do you need for that?

And you should read more. If I had been discussing my se.x diary in detail above complete with nude pics, you'd have paid attention to my original post grin

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 9:30pm On Aug 02, 2012
Onegai:

Hello, as an Environmental Engineer who was into Waste management, worked for a waste management firm and is still studying international standards of waste management policy making (please clap for me grin grin grin ) , I applaud your efforts. I tried supporting communities like yours and tried getting the government to support you guys. It didn't work out. What do you need in an Engineer? I'm sorta free right now...(yep I'm jobless)

Quite remarkable of you.

Need an Engineer that can come up with a system that filters used bath and kitchen water that will be used to water plants and gardens.

Also interested in biodegradable packaging.

Anyways, I commend you for your work. There are lots of heavy metals out there since Nigeria has become a dumping ground for all kinds of substandard and dokunbo goods.

Keep up your good work. The field is very versatile.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 02, 2012
Graduates drives trucks around the world. if you dont want the job. leave it.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Areaboy2(m): 9:37pm On Aug 02, 2012
Whats next?

Graduate gateman? undecided
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by fesdo(m): 9:43pm On Aug 02, 2012
Pride.....hmmm.....naija graduates....
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 02, 2012
Goshen360: See pride in the hearts of some so called "graduates". Which kind book una don read wey another person never read before?I don't mean insult anyway. If you can apply for the job and be employed, why don't you take it for now UNTIL YOU GET A BETTER OFFER TO A BETTER POSITION/FUTURE. A clear picture of pride and despising the days of little beginning. You can even get the job just to save/build capital to start your own business. It doesn't diminish anything from you neither does it subtract anything from your future. As some graduates dey do yanga, some graduates don apply same job chap-chap.

It is not that bad but all i want to know is how much is this guy willing to pay these graduates.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Onegai(f): 9:45pm On Aug 02, 2012
Olodostein:

Quite remarkable of you.

Need an Engineer that can come up with a system that filters used bath and kitchen water that will be used to water plants and gardens.

Also interested in biodegradable packaging.

Anyways, I commend you for your work. There are lots of heavy metals out there since Nigeria has become a dumping ground for all kinds of substandard and dokunbo goods.

Keep up your good work. The field is very versatile.

Let's talk, I can help out with this. Especially the biodegradable packaging, was already doing small work on that.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by EreluY(f): 9:48pm On Aug 02, 2012
ARES: My fellow jobless graduates of great degree and wonderful learning from a country where there is so much employment, pls dont apply. i know exxon mobil, shell, agip , kpmg and total are chasing all of you around begging u to come work for them..... unfortunately not all of us come from homes where after 5 yrs in school, u still sit around waiting for hand outs....pls feel free not to apply. that will create more chances for me and people who know that today you may drive trucks, tomorrow you may own trucks...just so you know, the reason you went to school is for you to adapt to any condition and make the best of any condition you see your self,

I really commiserate with you, typical lazy Nigerian graduate grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by coolheed: 9:54pm On Aug 02, 2012
I have carefully studied responses on this thread and it appears there are two sides - those in support of this driver job thing and those in opposition.
What we fail to realize in our part of the world is that we see employment as a job rather than an opportunity. Albeit, a truck driving job, it presents an opportunity for a visionary, hardworking and smart graduate to create an impact and turn his future around. The way I see this opportunity, I think it may go beyond the truck driving job and even if it is, it should be viewed as an opportunity and not a job.
Have we forgotten that P&G started with selling candles and today it is an empire. I am sure a lot of our people would never take an offer to work in a candle making company.

My conclusion, be visionary and strategic in every decision especially when it relates to marriage and career.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Wallie(m): 9:54pm On Aug 02, 2012
Onegai:
In Nigeria, if you and your foreign masters get employed as a bank teller at GTB, then I go do masters, then all of us now have masters, people now start doing Ph.D to work in bank (already happening). However, no matter the technology being used behind the till, the job is basically still paying out cash and recieving cash. No special skills required.

And you should read more. If I had been discussing my se.x diary in detail above complete with nude pics, you'd have paid attention to my original post grin

Lol. . .only out of curiosity! You can’t blame me for skipping most long posts because some people are borderline irrational and there are others that can’t even string a coherent thought together! I'll go through your posts sometime to see if you're one of the sane ones. grin

I always laugh at people that try to transpose their banking experience in Nigeria into the US banking sector! You will hear them say, “I’m a banker” to which I respond “what does that even mean”? You’re a bank teller?
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by serenegroup(m): 9:57pm On Aug 02, 2012
smartusman: This will be a bad start for graduates who want to pursue a career in their field. U can imagine an Accounting graduate whose only experience is truck driving,this can affect his/her chances of getting an accounting-related jobs.This is pathetic
look my friend times have changed. The economy is not smiling and the chances of finding a job that is similar to what you read is next to zero due to our population and extremely bad and cruel government. wake up and welcome to the new economy.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Goshen360(m): 9:57pm On Aug 02, 2012
To my graduate friends who had insulted me as if I don't know what am talking about.

Let me help your "ego/pride" in this matter. I attended Federal Polytechnic, Offa, Kwara State and graduated in 1999. I did my Industrial Training (I.T) at Administrative Staff College of Nigeria - ASCON in Badagry, Lagos State. While I was serving, I met a colleague and we became friends. After completing our I.T, my friend went back for his H.N.D while I went for B.Sc in Lagos State University.

I engaged in a family business while I was in school, started a Grasscutter farming that now turned out to be one of the biggest Grasscutter farm in Nigeria today. How? Just in a little way. Today, this Grasscutter business has now grown so big that it became a source of income for my family while am away in abroad. From that little Grasscutter business, I was able to create another business - a Cybercafe business which I started in 2002/03. I started my Cybercafe business after my friend finished his HND and he was looking for job. My thought was that, we could work together creating job instead of looking for job, we should rather create job for ourselves. My friend had this mentality of looking for white collar job as he always wanted to work in an office environment but I had a different mentality of creating job because I understand you will only be helping someone to make money when you work for them.

I make bold to tell you that, I left Nigerian since 2008 for the U.S and my friend is still searching for his white collar job. Alas! he hasn't got one even as we speak. I do not intend to mock my friend anyway, just citing an example. Ladies and Gentlemen, the fact that we're all graduates doesn't mean we'll start with a white collar job. My advice is very simple and clear, if you are a graduate and you feel you can do this job offer from Dangote, kindly put your pride/ego aside and start from somewhere. Like I said, you can take this job and build capital from whatever income you earn to start your own business. In my years of business administration and management studies/Economics, I have come to know that YOU WILL ONLY BE MAKING PROFIT FOR YOUR EMPLOYER when you work for people while you are only paid "token" as wages, you being the one doing the main job. How then do you become your own boss? You either start from somewhere to build up capital or start your own business if you have your own capital.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by logica(m): 9:57pm On Aug 02, 2012
Unfortunately most of the graduates are unemployable anyway. Are they not the same graduates who only 3 out of 64 passed a Primary School level test?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Tuesdays and Thursdays Guardian Jobs Adverts & Punch Wed Jobs Adverts / Most Hilarious Interview Conversation / UBA Graduate Management Accelerated Programme (GMAP) 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.