Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,708 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? (52073 Views)

Lets Help One Another: How Did You Overcome Your Challenges ? / How Did Your Eid-ul-kabir Go? / Does Islam Come From The Decendants Of Ishmael The First Son Of Abraham (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by MacDaddy01: 7:22pm On Aug 08, 2012
Hitory tells me that it was Arab Slave traders that brought Islam but some mulsims (*cough*....LagosShia) disagree.

Kano was a hotspot for trading slaves at the time. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade#Towns_and_ports_involved_in_the_slave_trade)
http://africanhistory.about.com/od/slavery/a/IslamRoleSlavery01.htm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 08, 2012
All the religions came to Africa through slave traders,the catholic church were the major traders.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by LagosShia: 10:31pm On Aug 08, 2012
MacDaddy01: Hitory tells me that it was Arab Slave traders that brought Islam but some mulsims (*cough*....LagosShia) disagree.

Kano was a hotspot for trading slaves at the time. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade#Towns_and_ports_involved_in_the_slave_trade)

we have partly discussed this topic here:
https://www.nairaland.com/998816/honest-question-muhammad-pbuh

since you mentioned wikipedia,we'd check wikipedia to see how Islam came to Nigeria.i would still like to point out that it does not make sense that Islam was brought through a few arab slave merchants,when arabs never had any standing army in nigeria nor did they ever rule or colonize nigeria.Islam was mostly spread in sub-saharan africa through trade-the gold and salt trades in particular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Nigeria
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by LagosShia: 10:36pm On Aug 08, 2012
Spread of Islam in Western Africa

The spread of Islam in Africa began in the 7th to 9th century, brought to North Africa initially under the Umayyad Dynasty. Extensive trade networks throughout North and West Africa created a medium through which Islam spread peacefully, initially through the merchant class. By sharing a common religion and a common transliteralization (Arabic), traders showed greater willingness to trust, and therefore invest, in one another.[49] Moreover, toward the 18th century, the Nigeria based Sokoto Caliphate led by Usman dan Fodio exerted considerable effort in spreading Islam.[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_of_Islam#Western_Africa
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Aug 08, 2012
I have heard different accounts of how Islam came to Nigeria, some say through trade, some say through slavery and some say Jihad.
What does it matter how it came to Nigeria? Why is that a big deal?
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Cheers01: 11:13pm On Aug 08, 2012
I will not argue with LagosShia, his mission here is to hide behind fabrications.

Here are the facts;

1) Islam spread through slavery and conquest in Africa;

Slaves were obtained through conquest, tribute from vassal states (in the first such treaty, Nubia was required to provide hundreds of male and female slaves), offspring (children of slaves were also slaves, but since many slaves were castrated this was not as common as it had been in the Roman empire), and purchase. The latter method provided the majority of slaves, and at the borders of the Islamic Empire vast number of new slaves were castrated ready for sale (Islamic law did not allow mutilation of slaves, so it was done before they crossed the border). The majority of these slaves came from Europe and Africa -- there were always enterprising locals ready to kidnap or capture their fellow countrymen.

Black Africans were transported to the Islamic empire across the Sahara to Morocco and Tunisia from West Africa, from Chad to Libya, along the Nile from East Africa, and up the coast of East Africa to the Persian Gulf. This trade had been well entrenched for over 600 years before Europeans arrived, and had driven the rapid expansion of Islam across North Africa

2) The history of Arabs in Nigeria is that of trading in other than slaves in Nigeria. Kano was a route for slave trade. Also the Kanen-Borno empire was started selling slaves since the 7th century

Trans-Saharan trade opens the way

The raids into the central Sahara by `Uqba ibn-Nafi` in 667, told by Ibn-`Abdalhakam, (1) opened the route to Kanem and Borno. In each town he raided `Uqba imposed a tribute of 360 slaves. From that time until the end of the 19th century, the central African trade route specialized in slaves taken from the hinterland of Borno
http://www.josephkenny.joyeurs.com/Sist.htm

3) Islam is an Arab religion and it was spread by Arabs. Nigeria's first interactions with Arabs was through slavery. We didnt have the gold of Ghana

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Cheers01: 11:14pm On Aug 08, 2012
fellis: I have heard different accounts of how Islam came to Nigeria, some say through trade, some say through slavery and some say Jihad.

It came through slavery. Not trade. Stop trying to act ignorant. angry

What were Arabs buying from Nigeria other than slaves in the 7th century? Gold? Beans and Akara. The first trades were in slaves

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Aug 08, 2012
fellis:
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Cheers01: 11:31pm On Aug 08, 2012
fellis: I have heard different accounts of how Islam came to Nigeria, some say through trade, some say through slavery and some say Jihad.

See how my fellow black Nigerians follow and accept a foreign thing that once enslaved and made Eunuchs of their people?

1 Like

Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Aug 08, 2012
What is important to me is the message that the Religion teaches, not the wrongdoings of whoever brought it to Nigeria; assuming it was actually slave traders.
The castration you wrote of is not even permissible in Islam, mutilating people like that is forbidden and I believe LagosShia has discussed how Islam discourages slave trade to you before. I am not going to be fazed from being a Muslim because of the wrong deeds of slave traders. What matters to me is the contents of the religion, not the sins of its propagators, whoever they were.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by LagosShia: 11:53pm On Aug 08, 2012
you have still not explained to me how does arab men partaking in the slave trade have to do with spreading Islam? what is the connection?

you have also not explained how does arab men who could as well being atheists not following Islam or disobedient Muslims,buying slaves spread Islam?

no arab army stepped foot on west african soil or colonized anywhere.

was it only slaves that were traded? which other trades existed?

provide historical accounts showing that the slave trade which was undertaken by few arabs among the many who traded other things,either chiefly or only was responsible for the spread of Islam into Nigeria and the rest of west africa.

please answer my questions.

you are just making a claim and connecting two different issues (slavery and spread of Islam) without any proof.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by LagosShia: 11:59pm On Aug 08, 2012
fellis: What is important to me is the message that the Religion teaches, not the wrongdoings of whoever brought it to Nigeria; assuming it was actually slave traders.
The castration you wrote of is not even permissible in Islam, mutilating people like that is forbidden and I believe LagosShia has discussed how Islam discourages slave trade to you before. I am not going to be fazed from being a Muslim because of the wrong deeds of slave traders. What matters to me is the contents of the religion, not the sins of its propagators, whoever they were.

dont mind him jare!

he thinks he is smart.he wants us to believe that Islam is an "arab religion".no it is not.even if arabs partake in whatever nonsense and broke the rules of the religion,Islam is not responsible for their misdeeds.

christianity can be said to have caused slavery because colonization brought christianity and slavery.but there was no arab colonization here.

colonization====>christianity====>slavery

arabs====================>trades====>preaching====>Islam
"
"(few arabs)
"
"slave trade

anyways,Mr. logicboy aka Cheers01 aka MacDaddy can think whatever.

Islam is sweet and we like it the way it is.

thanks for the concern. kiss kiss kiss
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Cheers01: 12:05am On Aug 09, 2012
fellis: What is important to me is the message that the Religion teaches, not the wrongdoings of whoever brought it to Nigeria; assuming it was actually slave traders.

1) Who said you were fazed? Lol guilty conscience! Fellis is shaken.

2) Of course, mutilation is not allowed in islam and that is why many blacks were made Eunuch before reaching Arab homelands.

3) Contents of a religion that regulates slavery? Please, tell me the punishment for slavery in the Quran. There is punishment for stealing and adultery, what is the punishment for slavery? Is slavery rebuked as an evil practice in the Quran.

Tell me the punishment for slavery in the Quran fellis. Tell me and I will become mulsim today. I will become a muslim and stop my foolish atheist ways

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:21am On Aug 09, 2012
Cheers01:
1) Who said you were fazed? Lol guilty conscience! Fellis is shaken.
Continue hallucinating.
Cheers01:
3) Contents of a religion that regulates slavery? Please, tell me the punishment for slavery in the Quran. There is punishment for stealing and adultery, what is the punishment for slavery? Is slavery rebuked as an evil practice in the Quran.
Tell me the punishment for slavery in the Quran fellis. Tell me and I will become mulsim today. I will become a muslim and stop my foolish atheist ways
Because you know it is not there, you declare that you will leave atheism if I show it to you.
Hadiths discouraging slavery are there but you insist that a ruling must be brought from the Qur'an. If those Hadith are not good enough for you then please remain an atheist. It is not by force.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by tiarabubu: 12:27am On Aug 09, 2012
LagosShia: Spread of Islam in Western Africa

The spread of Islam in Africa began in the 7th to 9th century, brought to North Africa initially under the Umayyad Dynasty. Extensive trade networks throughout North and West Africa created a medium through which Islam spread peacefully, initially through the merchant class. By sharing a common religion and a common transliteralization (Arabic), traders showed greater willingness to trust, and therefore invest, in one another.[49] Moreover, toward the 18th century, the Nigeria based Sokoto Caliphate led by Usman dan Fodio exerted considerable effort in spreading Islam.

Emm...

Don't white wash the facts oh! What kind of "considerable effort" did Usman Dan fodio exert in spreading Islam?

This one that facts are dressed up in niceties. I thought I should chip in to say that efforts of Usman Dan Fodio in spreading Islam in Nigeria was holy war. Jihad. And of course, also the installation of a new trado - political system of governance across much of northern Nigeria that replaced traditional institutions with Fulani heads.

Just thought I should set the record straight.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by LagosShia: 12:34am On Aug 09, 2012
fellis:
Continue hallucinating.

Because you know it is not there, you declare that you will leave atheism if I show it to you.
Hadiths discouraging slavery are there but you insist that a ruling must be brought from the Qur'an. If those Hadith are not good enough for you then please remain an atheist. It is not by force.

i have even showed him from the Quran that islamically it is wrong to take a fellow man as your slave.that whatever he refers to as "slave" are prisoners of war in the time of the early muslims.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:47am On Aug 09, 2012
You did that? I wasn't aware.
I doubt he's coming back, I think he got banned.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:54am On Aug 09, 2012
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by LagosShia: 1:13am On Aug 09, 2012
fellis: You did that? I wasn't aware.
I doubt he's coming back, I think he got banned.

"It is not meet for a mortal that Allah should give him the Book and the wisdom and 'Nabuwah' (prophethood), then he should say to men: Be my slaves rather than Allah's; but rather (he would say): Be sustenance providers (Rabaniyoon) because of your teaching the Book and your studying (it yourselves)."[Holy Quran 3:79]

https://www.nairaland.com/998816/honest-question-muhammad-pbuh#11547544
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:17am On Aug 09, 2012
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:45am On Aug 09, 2012
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by LagosShia: 6:06am On Aug 09, 2012
tiarabubu:

Emm...

Don't white wash the facts oh! What kind of "considerable effort" did Usman Dan fodio exert in spreading Islam?

This one that facts are dressed up in niceties. I thought I should chip in to say that efforts of Usman Dan Fodio in spreading Islam in Nigeria was holy war. Jihad. And of course, also the installation of a new trado - political system of governance across much of northern Nigeria that replaced traditional institutions with Fulani heads.

Just thought I should set the record straight.

Thanks

Madam,i'm forced to call your shamelessness "an online intellectual ashewo" (ashewo stands for pro$titute just in case you do not know).you are a very shameless person full of invented lies and always on the look out to lie by persistent arguments through twisting and turning like a chamelon.

it is now you're setting the record straight,right?were you not the one that claimed in another thread that Islam came to Nigeria through Dan Fodio? when you were corrected and told Islam was in Nigeria before Dan Fodio was born,you later changed your mouth and said "some parts of the north did practice Islam before Dan Fodio" but....? with whose intellectual balls do you think you are playing with? you do not deserve respect madam.in that same thread you were slapped twice.once by yourself when you changed your mouth and another by me-when you wanted to portray how loving and caring all christian missionaries are.you later got a report of how one of your chief demons in nigeria threatened his Muslim sister with dying in poverty if she doesn't convert to christianity.

Dan Fodio's jihad was mainly to restructure the Muslims and cleanse their beliefs of pagan influence which had crept into their the Islamic religion.it was through the lax attitude of the hausa-fulani that they were introducing pagan rituals and practices as Islamic beliefs and mixing them thanks to pagan influence.this was similar to using the holy Ka'ba (a house of God) in Makkah to store idols and Prophet Muhammad (sa) had to clean the Ka'ba of those idols upon capturing Makkah from the pagan oppressors who had persecuted him before that.if through that effort exerted by Dan Fodio others got converted,that is not what we are saying here and i did not deny that at all.the topic of this thread madam is how Islam came to Nigeria (and not even how you imagine it spread).i hope you know how to read and understand english because i doubt you ever will read your bible even in english and understand.here is the link:

https://www.nairaland.com/993339/muslims-house-please-give-this/4#11554509
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by tiarabubu: 8:26am On Aug 09, 2012
^^^
Sorry, I know you hurt very bad to call people ashewo. I understand. Truth hurts but it must be told. Kpele.

Again let me correct you. Usman didn't just engage in jihad to "restructure muslims" (another nicety). He spread Islam to areas where they hitherto were not Muslims and consolidated his hold on the others.

How? By brutal WAR!

So you "restructure" Islam by beheading people? Wholesale destruction of culture? Replacing leadership with uthman's own brothers.?

Repent or die huh? Lol.

sman also spelled Uthman or Usuman, Arabic ʿUthmān Ibn Fūdī (born December 1754, Maratta, Gobir, Hausaland [now in Nigeria]—died 1817, Sokoto, Fulani empire), Fulani mystic, philosopher, and revolutionary reformer who, in a jihad (holy war) between 1804 and 1808, created a new Muslim state, the Fulani empire, in what is now northern Nigeria.

m.eb.com/topic/620352

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usman_dan_Fodio#section_2

1 Like

Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by LagosShia: 1:31pm On Aug 09, 2012
tiarabubu: ^^^
Sorry, I know you hurt very bad to call people ashewo. I understand. Truth hurts but it must be told. Kpele.

Again let me correct you. Usman didn't just engage in jihad to "restructure muslims" (another nicety). He spread Islam to areas where they hitherto were not Muslims and consolidated his hold on the others.

How? By brutal WAR!

So you "restructure" Islam by beheading people? Wholesale destruction of culture? Replacing leadership with uthman's own brothers.?

Repent or die huh? Lol.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usman_dan_Fodio#section_2

so where did you read that he beheaded people?

understand something,i have nothing in common with Usthman Dan Fodio.there is nothing common between me and him other than Islam to some degree.

now for you to come here in the name of your christian bigotry and your recognized shameless christian argument mode to try to create argument and question Dan Fodio as a way of attacking Islam is not acceptable.i will make sure your scheme does not pass here as it didnt pass elsewhere.

you have lied in the above through speculation that Dan Fodio beheaded people.based on what did you make that statement?i hope you know what the word "people" means."people" could mean anyone without distinction like your God in the bible asks for everyone to be killed except virgins.

dont you think i can also speculate that since the muslims were influenced by the pagans,and some could even being pagans in Islamic disguise,when Dan fodio wanted to cleanse the religion of pagan influences,the pagans and those they influenced claiming Islam would have resisted? you think it would have happened without a fight?

please put your onesidedness aside and stop arguing based on guesses.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by tiarabubu: 3:12pm On Aug 09, 2012
O hypocrite

How is war prosecuted? Is it a wrestling match? Or debate?

Don't make a fool of yourself please.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by LagosShia: 4:34pm On Aug 09, 2012
tiarabubu: O hypocrite

How is war prosecuted? Is it a wrestling match? Or debate?

Don't make a fool of yourself please.

Madam talk-talk!

do you know what it means to "behead people"?

well,i am not suprised because this is what you read:

Numbers 31:17-18
Now kill all the boys (in Midian). And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Judges 21:10-12
10So the assembly sent twelve thousand fighting men with instructions to go to Jabesh Gilead and put to the sword those living there, including the women and children. 11“This is what you are to do,” they said. “Kill every male and every woman who is not a virgin.” 12They found among the people living in Jabesh Gilead four hundred young women who had never slept with a man, and they took them to the camp at Shiloh in Canaan.
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by tiarabubu: 7:35pm On Aug 09, 2012
Lol, is that your best reply?

Typical lagosshia, when cornered you rush to quote verses. how about facing the issues at hand for once?

See how you dey run from woman! Hehehehhehhe

1 Like

Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by LagosShia: 8:08pm On Aug 09, 2012
tiarabubu: Lol, is that your best reply?

Typical lagosshia, when cornered you rush to quote verses. how about facing the issues at hand for once?

See how you dey run from woman! Hehehehhehhe

madam talk-talk,

the title of the thread is "how did islam come to nigeria".

is that what you're right now discussing?
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 09, 2012
I never knew tiarabubu was female. . . .
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by tiarabubu: 10:54pm On Aug 09, 2012
LagosShia:

madam talk-talk,

the title of the thread is "how did islam come to nigeria".

is that what you're right now discussing?

O hypocrite, are all those verses you quoted to run away from issues part of the title of the thread? At least me I am talking of the Jihad wars. To reply, you were busy quoting numbers and judges. What, LagosShia, has those biblical verses got to do with how Islam came to nigeria? undecided

Hope you are ok?
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by tiarabubu: 10:56pm On Aug 09, 2012
fellis: I never knew tiarabubu was female. . . .

OK. . . . ? Is that a good thing or bad?
Re: How Did Islam Come To Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Aug 09, 2012
I don't know. I have never really taken note of your posts before.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures Of New Jummat Mosque Built By Igbo Muslims In Owerri / Eid Ul Fitri: Barka Da Sallah / Saudi Prince Blames African Pilgrims For The Stampede In Mecca

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.