Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,979 members, 7,817,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? (13467 Views)

Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / On The Background Of Nigeria's Poor Performance At The Olympics...... / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by tonyx4x44(m): 5:09pm On Aug 09, 2012
goldfish80:
All of the Above sad cry
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 09, 2012
Muhahahaha sore losers.
You were whooped fair and square.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by andyanders: 5:18pm On Aug 09, 2012
Corruption because our leaders and minister of sports were after estacodes for their personal greed, they feature people they chose.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by bayulll01(m): 5:20pm On Aug 09, 2012
enija funny sha! What has witches and wizard got to do with this,with what i saw in niger delta and the ijajaes we have no reason of not claiming all the gold in swiming,i included gej cos that is the problem of some pple in 9ja,some eediot dat cant phuck phunny hard will claim the guy is responsible for their wife not getting pregnant,9ja i hail
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by cheesome(m): 5:29pm On Aug 09, 2012
after being poorly prepared for d olympics,we then rely on prayers and blame d voodoo guyz when we fumble.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by hammedkola(m): 5:30pm On Aug 09, 2012
Curses from Nigerians mouth
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by juliebest(f): 5:31pm On Aug 09, 2012
Poor preparation, we should start preparing for 2016 Olympics now.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by bayulll01(m): 5:38pm On Aug 09, 2012
boyyyyyyyy: I dey vex 4 dis country wey i come frm no be joke oooo!!! Small thing Ogoni man go jump enter water like fish for days we no go see dem. See olympics nah, go swim,dem dey fear water.

Zero medal 4 Naija Hausa man go enter boat dey shout argungu fishing festival.
See rowing 4 olympics, dem no dey.

Zero medal 4 Naija Fulani herdsmen fit shoot arrow from 1km kill anyone wey wan steal dem cow, olympics reach make dem go do archery, dem no sabi shoot again.

Zero medal 4 Naija Igbo man go run from Sokoto to Aba at the slightest provocation by Boko. See marathon 4 olympics, dem no shw face.

Zero medal 4 Naija Agbero for park no mind pursue bus for road. See 100metres race 4 Olympics, dem no sabi run again.

ZERO medal 4 Naija Yoruba man go remove clothes, wrist watch and pant to fight 4 Ojuelegba. See boxing 4 olympics,we no see dem.

Zero medal 4 Naija Warri man go say warri no dey carry last..... na wetin Blessing Okagbare, our own warri babe dey do for last 4 women 200metres race abi she think say one person dey her back?

Zero medal 4 Naija Na who even start that nonsense called NAIJA GOT TALENT sef...?!
broz all my teeth don remove lmao
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Clemzy16(m): 5:41pm On Aug 09, 2012
Nepotism
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by madjune(m): 5:42pm On Aug 09, 2012
They trained for sports they were ill suited for. The olympic committee should introduce local African games like okwe or ocho.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by honeric01(m): 5:44pm On Aug 09, 2012
abhosts: I find it quite Ironic that Nigeria's best ever sports spell took place during the Regime of a Dictator. Our democratic leaders need to start taking sports seriously.

Nations Cup Triumph 1994.

First World Cup 1994.

Best Olympic Performance 1996.

This is to show that Nigerians perform well under strict leadership.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by estinjohn(m): 5:56pm On Aug 09, 2012
kokoye: To win at such levels, people have to be encouraged. And it does nto start when they are adults..you catch them young and then you train, motivate and reward them. Whatever happened to all the inter-house sports events and gymnastic displays that we used to have back in the days??

Now everybody wants to be a banker, oil dealer, entertainer or politician. The ones who actually want to do sports have to get out of the country and train elsewhere. The government and corporate organizations also do not care. Surprised? Nope.

And then we complain about poor performances.

until sport is taken as a serious business and not politicized, Nigeria can not perform well in Olympics
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by iyatrustee(f): 5:58pm On Aug 09, 2012
boyyyyyyyy: I dey vex 4 dis country wey i come frm no be joke oooo!!! Small thing Ogoni man go jump enter water like fish for days we no go see dem. See olympics nah, go swim,dem dey fear water.

Zero medal 4 Naija Hausa man go enter boat dey shout argungu fishing festival.
See rowing 4 olympics, dem no dey.

Zero medal 4 Naija Fulani herdsmen fit shoot arrow from 1km kill anyone wey wan steal dem cow, olympics reach make dem go do archery, dem no sabi shoot again.

Zero medal 4 Naija Igbo man go run from Sokoto to Aba at the slightest provocation by Boko. See marathon 4 olympics, dem no shw face.

Zero medal 4 Naija Agbero for park no mind pursue bus for road. See 100metres race 4 Olympics, dem no sabi run again.

ZERO medal 4 Naija Yoruba man go remove clothes, wrist watch and pant to fight 4 Ojuelegba. See boxing 4 olympics,we no see dem.

Zero medal 4 Naija Warri man go say warri no dey carry last..... na wetin Blessing Okagbare, our own warri babe dey do for last 4 women 200metres race abi she think say one person dey her back?

Zero medal 4 Naija Na who even start that nonsense called NAIJA GOT TALENT sef...?!

oh boi, u don crase finish....... in a special way! cheesy
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Skmoda360(m): 6:02pm On Aug 09, 2012
bayulll01: What do you think is the cause of the dismal performance of Team Nigeria in the London 2012 Olympics?

A.POOR PREPARATION

B.LACK OF FUNDS

C.CORRUPTION

D.GEJ

all of the above
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Siga: 6:02pm On Aug 09, 2012
The level of corruption in the whole system will never let them perform now....when the money meant for the athletes is distributed among officials families....infact...the delegation wey dey follow olympic athletes sef, pass the number of participants....and other sports like soccer....they always look into quota system...so...when order is restored into Nigeria in general...things will change...FIND ME A GOOD, KIND-HEARTED AND HUMAN LEADER and Nigeria will shine at any event....Do u see the number of Nigerians representing America, UK and France...all these guys would be happy to represent Nigeria (their parents home country) even if they were not born in Nigeria....
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by bayulll01(m): 6:03pm On Aug 09, 2012
iyatrustee:

oh boi, u don crase finish....... in a special way! cheesy
u go soon join the guycheesy
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by manmustwac(m): 6:12pm On Aug 09, 2012
cheesome: after being poorly prepared for d olympics,we then rely on prayers and blame d voodoo guyz when we fumble.
That is part of the reason why we fumbled. Its this our backwardd mentality. cry
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Skmoda360(m): 6:17pm On Aug 09, 2012
bayulll01: enija funny sha! What has witches and wizard got to do with this,with what i saw in niger delta and the ijajaes we have no reason of not claiming all the gold in swiming,i included gej cos that is the problem of some pple in 9ja,some eediot dat cant phuck phunny hard will claim the guy is responsible for their wife not getting pregnant,9ja i hail
i evn dey shake tail for naija nw.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Biggysmalls919(m): 6:17pm On Aug 09, 2012
the country is a total failure in everything. A big 4 nothing.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 09, 2012
All of the above!
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by vanunu: 6:25pm On Aug 09, 2012
Apart from corruption, lack of school sport is primarily responsible, we no have private secondary schools without sports facilities and glorified state secondary schools all the Jamaican, Chinese and American sports men were started from school sports.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Fhemmmy: 6:26pm On Aug 09, 2012
vanunu: Apart from corruption, lack of school sport is primarily responsible, we no have private secondary schools without sports facilities and glorified state secondary schools all the Jamaican, Chinese and American sports men were started from school sports.

But Nigeria used to have all that too . . . I remember the inter-house sports and inter-school sports, i guess all that has gone to the dogs now
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Litmus: 6:32pm On Aug 09, 2012
So corruption is at fault for everything.In this fantasy realm of Corruption, individuals bare no responsibility for their actions. How for instance did corruption prevent Odumosu from, at the very least, equaling her personal best in the finals of the 400m Hurdles?

I've been defending the athletes as much as anyone but this is the Olympics, the greatest stage in which an athlete can compete. For me, an athlete has to be expected, at the very least, to equal their personal best at the final, if they are not injured. No Nigerian athlete to my knowledge did that. It was as if they felt inferior and defeated inside before stepping on the track . It's as if Nigerians admire Ghanaians so much they are now becoming like Ghanians in Attitude.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by aryzgreat: 6:36pm On Aug 09, 2012
Who is d minister of Sports? Am sure say na aboki, since after after 1996 dat aboki hijack sports ministry na so so failure! them go go leave whom to blame come dey blame GEJ and Dr NOI. Boko haram people angry
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by boolet: 6:38pm On Aug 09, 2012
A, C & E
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by slap1(m): 6:41pm On Aug 09, 2012
As soon as the Olympics end, a committee will be set up to look into this. . .y'all need not worry.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by juman(m): 6:45pm On Aug 09, 2012
One nigeria
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Truthbetold: 6:45pm On Aug 09, 2012
Curruption in the highest other...

Sports Administration in Nigeria is real bad
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by Philolos: 6:53pm On Aug 09, 2012
In the West, nurturing in sports begins from a very young age, even as early as 2-years old. In addition, organized sports are also ubiquitous at very early ages and available to most. The gathering and events that stimulate competition in these sports are sponsored by parents, schools, universities, the city, the province, local or national government. I recall when I was growing up in Surulere playing soccer with my bare feet. Soccer/football cleats (shoes) were a luxury at the time. I recall playing table tennis on classroom tables, concrete, etc., again because facilities were not readily available. How many of us on the mainland have parents that can afford the membership of Ikoyi club, talk less of the commute involved? Each precinct or community should have multitude of facilities affordable to the average boy/girl on the street that wants to play any form of sport either for exercise or as a hobby. We have land if properly allotted and zoned. In Lagos State, where is LSDPC or the old LSDPC? They’ve forgotten their mission that’s even if they know where to find it today.

I think as a nation, we can do it once we make sport a priority. The current priority for most of our leaders is to enrich their pockets and elevate their immediate and extended families. Perhaps we’ll be tired of that pursuit 30 years from now. And then, the true selfless leaders would emerge caring less for money, the luxuries of the world, like India had in Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, USA had in George Washington, South African has in Nelson Mandela. I believe such a time is coming, perhaps not in our life time. Oh, what a shame. smileyIn the West, nurturing in sports begins from a very young age, even as early as 2-years old. In addition, organized sports are also ubiquitous at very early ages and available to most. The gathering and events that stimulate competition in these sports are sponsored by parents, schools, universities, the city, the province, local or national government. I recall when I was growing up in Surulere playing soccer with my bare feet. Soccer/football cleats (shoes) were a luxury at the time. I recall playing table tennis on classroom tables, concrete, etc., again because facilities were not readily available. How many of us on the mainland have parents that can afford the membership of Ikoyi club, talk less of the commute involved? Each precinct or community should have multitude of facilities affordable to the average boy/girl on the street that wants to play any form of sport either for exercise or as a hobby. We have land if properly allotted and zoned. In Lagos State, where is LSDPC or the old LSDPC? They’ve forgotten their mission that’s even if they know where to find it today.

I think as a nation, we can do it once we make sports a top priority (electricity is currently not, neither is education, neither is good drainage or better roads, neither is having standards or best practices of any sort, in general). The current priority for most of our leaders is to enrich their pockets and elevate their immediate and extended families. Perhaps we’ll be tired of that pursuit 30 years from now. And then, the true selfless leaders would emerge caring less for money, the luxuries of the world, like India had in Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, USA had in George Washington, South African has in Nelson Mandela. I believe such a time is coming, perhaps not in our life time. Oh, what a shame.
Re: Team Nigeria's Poor Olympics Performance: Causes? by texazzpete(m): 6:53pm On Aug 09, 2012
Fhemmmy:

But Nigeria used to have all that too . . . I remember the inter-house sports and inter-school sports, i guess all that has gone to the dogs now

You really need to stop airing your ignorance in public here.

There's a whole lot of difference between an avid secondary school and university runner and someone who spends his/her past 4 years training daily and participating in sporting activities as a sole career.

The blame for our dismal performance can be put squarely on the shoulders of our Government and the Sports Ministry.

Go and ask people at the National stadium how much the athletes there get as monthly grants from the Government.

Only in Nigeria would someone be asking why are Ijaw fishermen not competing with Michael Phelps. You think say na just native swimming dem dey use these days?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Liverpool Spoil AC Milan's Champions League Return In Five-Goal Thriller / I Won’t Celebrate If Man United Beat Chelsea, Says Mourinho / What's Your Preferred Football Commentary Language For The World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.